My families Great American Adventure

Wulaw Horn

9 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

You should put the house on the market today.  Go all in.  Having a Plan B is the best way to sabotage Plan A. 

You some kinda pussy?  A real man would call one of those Cash for Houses people and have the whole deal closed by tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Freaking rv places are packed. He said (and another guy at another lot verified) that they can’t keep a used one on the lot. 

I believe it.  Not to derail the thread, but we just nailed down the deal for our new pool. Thought I’d get a hell of a deal with the economic impact from Covid.  Wrong.  Sales guys at two different places said new pool sales are through the roof.  One said they’re up 400% over last year.  Everyone saying “fuck it, if I’m stuck at home with kids, I might as well have a pool” I guess.  Probably similar type thing  with RVs.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I believe it.  Not to derail the thread, but we just nailed down the deal for our new pool. Thought I’d get a hell of a deal with the economic impact from Covid.  Wrong.  Sales guys at two different places said new pool sales are through the roof.  One said they’re up 400% over last year.  Everyone saying “fuck it, if I’m stuck at home with kids, I might as well have a pool” I guess.  Probably similar type thing  with RVs.

Absolutely right. 

If you end up heading towards the baseball HOF, make a detour to the Adirondack Mountains/Lake George/Saratoga Springs areas. Lots of camping and lake activities. Also, some French-Indian War/Revolutionary War-era forts. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

If you end up heading towards the baseball HOF, make a detour to the Adirondack Mountains/Lake George/Saratoga Springs areas. Lots of camping and lake activities. Also, some French-Indian War/Revolutionary War-era forts. 

Thanks. Will definitely go to the baseball HOF. Will check that out. 

So, 

Just heard back and the- yeah, no problem- we can loan you all of that (great credit score, low debt, decent income) became, weeeeeeeeell we gonna need $10,000k down.  Be interesting to see what the wife says about that.  Might be back to looking at used.  Don't know. 

One of my best friends wife told us this story about their premarital counseling.  The counselor had each write down On a piece of paper how much they thought it was okay to spend without discussing with the other spouse.  She wrote down $75.  The counselor opened and read hers first.  He wrote down $50k.  In his defense, he does very, very well buying residences and renting them out all over the country.  

As long as they both stick to their self imposed limits there shouldn’t be any problems
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2020 at 4:03 PM, Johnny Sack said:

One of my best friends wife told us this story about their premarital counseling.  The counselor had each write down On a piece of paper how much they thought it was okay to spend without discussing with the other spouse.  She wrote down $75.  The counselor opened and read hers first.  He wrote down $50k.  In his defense, he does very, very well buying residences and renting them out all over the country.  

I don’t know that I’ve ever discussed a purchase beforehand. Trucks, boats, other toys, a new golf cart (new Onward’s with the Lithium batteries are pretty fun little neighborhood cruisers) a couple weeks ago, etc. all just appear. She rode in the last truck I bought easily a couple different times before she even noticed it was a new one.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Did you not try your bank or credit union?  When we bought ours ufcu gave us the best rate.  The salesman was sort of surprised by how much better the rate was than her could get us.  But this was 10 years ago.

Yeah as a cu lender we wouldn't need an 800 to put down 10k unless he was getting fleeced. Our policy is up to 100% not including tt&l.

1 hour ago, troph said:

We had to put 10% down on ours, it’s why we went used. Still got a good deal based on great credit. No money down on RVs isn’t a thing usually, or so I was told.

I cant remember the last time I required someone that was 680+ to put down cash on an RV.

• Like 1

Well it didn’t bother me, but we weren’t dropping a hundo on a depreciating asset. Ours was one year old, $28k / $31k with a fifth wheel hitch installed. We’ll probably pay it off at the end of the summer when our last 2020 house sells.

39 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah as a cu lender we wouldn't need an 800 to put down 10k unless he was getting fleeced. Our policy is up to 100% not including tt&l.

Well, the TTL was $8000 or so, so it practically was 100% of the vehicle. Just about. 

The used guy seems to think I can borrow up to $85000 or so on a vehicle that’s going to be out the door for $73,500. We shall see. 

It doesn’t have bunk set up so not quite as practical, but at $25,000 total less and $10,000 less out of pocket I’m willing to deal with the inconvenience for the children. 

29 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This thread has inspired me to go out and buy an RV myself. I’m currently unemployed and legally blind, but I just took out a 3rd mortgage and maxed out my credit cards to buy a brand new, top of the line rig. The dealer said I need a commercial drivers license but fuck that, I almost graduated community college so I think I can handle it. My wife was going to leave me and take the kids with her but I figure 18 months on the road together will smooth everything over. My friends and family haven’t exactly been supportive, but this is just like the time they tried to get me to go to rehab for the 6th time and I escaped by crawling out the bathroom window. I’m actually sitting my my RV now just laughing to myself about how fucking smart I am and what a brilliant idea this is. 

Eh, win some you lose some. 

On 5/25/2020 at 6:10 PM, Landomatic said:

That sure is what it looked like being out shopping the last couple days  

Maybe I’m an idiot. Maybe this is really stupid. But I’m not sending my kids to school that's set up like a medium security prison, so it’s home school at home or home school on the road. 

I feel like homeschooling at home will be sad and lonely, but doing it from the road will be interesting and exciting for them. 

This has the chance to backfire spectacularly. If it does I will announce my idiocy to everyone. It’s really going to suck if I can’t make a living doing this, have to sell my home, and end up living in an RV for the rest of my life. Here’s hoping that doesn’t happen. 

Ive only got two debts in my life- $447k on a house that appraised for $530 when I bought it, and 22k on an f150 truck that’s a 2018 with 15,000 miles. 

Soon to be $73,000 on a used or 92,000 on a new RV. That’s nothing more than a car payment at the end of the day. 

Your kids are probably young enough they will love the adventure of it and not having to sit in school all day every day. I know several families that have pulled their kids out and sailed, gone overseas, etc for extended periods in an educational capacity. Sooner or later they will be teenagers and then it would really be miserable, so why not go for it now. I don’t like mine well enough at this age to be locked in an RV with them for 2 weeks, much less months on end. I’m 99.9% sure the feeling is mutual though. I’m not sure I even like my wife enough to do it, but that’s probably more realistic than doing it with two teenage girls.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brew said:

Your kids are probably young enough they will love the adventure of it and not having to sit in school all day every day. I know several families that have pulled their kids out and sailed, gone overseas, etc for extended periods in an educational capacity. Sooner or later they will be teenagers and then it would really be miserable, so why not go for it now. I don’t like mine well enough at this age to be locked in an RV with them for 2 weeks, much less months on end. I’m 99.9% sure the feeling is mutual though. I’m not sure I even like my wife enough to do it, but that’s probably more realistic than doing it with two teenage girls.

That’s what I’m hoping for with the kids. My wife is my best friend and I have no trouble imagining being with her in an RV for months at a time. 

23 minutes ago, Brew said:

I don't know why no one else has suggested this.  Wulaw, you should buy a sailboat and sail around the world with the wife and kids.  Go big or go home.  Lack of experience should be no hurdle. 

You're near Houston.  You're practically an islander. :)

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I don't know why no one else has suggested this.  Wulaw, you should buy a sailboat and sail around the world with the wife and kids.  Go big or go home.  Lack of experience should be no hurdle. 

I’m generally opposed to things that would likely kill me. Sail boating across the lake might do that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m generally opposed to things that would likely kill me. Sail boating across the lake might do that. 

When my wife was sick several years ago, I bought a Sunfish knock off to keep the kids entertained.  I put a fresh coat of paint on it, bought a new sail, watched a youtube video of how to rig it and have survived being the only sailboat on Caddo Lake (the big part).  But yes, the ocean would be a little different and you probably would not survive.  And that would be, as they say, a shame. 

Edited by dcbc

28 minutes ago, dcbc said:

You're near Houston.  You're practically an islander. :)

A gal I’m friends with is doing this.  Her husband is a dentist and they sold everything to take a year off to sail the world with their kids.  I think he hired a couple people to to work his practice so still has some money coming in.  They bought a large catamaran and it is motor powered.  They also have a captain.  She’s doing a blog. 

http://www.cruisingcolette.com/

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s what I’m hoping for with the kids. My wife is my best friend and I have no trouble imagining being with her in an RV for months at a time

Although with the kids and the RV situation, clearly not a best friend with benefits, for the foreseeable future.

;)

• Like 1

You're near Houston.  You're practically an islander.

I’ve been watching a lot of sailing YouTube channels and nearly everyone learned to sail after the boat purchase. 6 months of practice and off they go.

Just now, CooterBrown said:

I’ve been watching a lot of sailing YouTube channels and nearly everyone learned to sail after the boat purchase. 6 months of practice and off they go.

Braver than I am. I had a CDL and drove a bus when I coached high school girls soccer. I know I can drive a 32 foot rv. I’m absolutely convinced I’d kill myself sailing. 

20 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, 

Just heard back and the- yeah, no problem- we can loan you all of that (great credit score, low debt, decent income) became, weeeeeeeeell we gonna need $10,000k down.  Be interesting to see what the wife says about that.  Might be back to looking at used.  Don't know. 

Yeah, ran into that on our most recent car lease.  Textbook used car salesman move there no doubt (or new car salesman in my case and new RV salesman in your case).

Before you just settle for a used one, I think I'd call their bluff and go find at least one more comparable RV at another dealership.  Then tell them both exactly what you're doing and tell them you need them both to give you their best and final offer with no money down.  Hell, find 2 more and work all three against each other.  That's what we did with the car lease and it was amazing how much more flexible they were able to get with the financing part.

Now, that was a car and I think car sales are way way down right now, so we had all the leverage.  Not sure you'll have that on an RV (see the pool thing we already discussed).  But, I just can't believe people are that lined up to sign off on $100K depreciating assets right now.  Could be wrong, but worth finding out for sure rather than taking it at face value...from some sleazy used car salesman.

But regardless of whether that works or not (use that to get the price down if you can), as others have mentioned...try a credit union!  Can't stress this enough.  I've used one for years on car purchases and they can always, without question, and it's not ever even close, beat the crap out of the dealership's terms and rates.  Only reason I didn't do it this round is because I wanted to lease rather than buy.  If you're buying, go the credit union route (never checked to see if they can do a lease).  No different than any other loan you'd get from anywhere else.  Hell, most times, from my experience, if anything, they have less red tape and are easier to work with.  As I understand it, they have a completely different set of rules than typical lenders which allows them to be a lot more flexible.

That said, here's the bad news...hate to be the one to break it to you, but that $10K out of pocket is coming either way.  You'll either pay it now or down the road when you sell it.  And to make it even worse, it will be a lot more than $10K total.  You're just delaying the inevitable.  Buying used will help that, but regardless, you are getting a highly depreciating asset here no matter how you want to slice it.  That doesn't mean don't do it, just build that into the total overall cost whether you come out of pocket now or years from now.

Speaking of leasing, can an RV be leased?  Never checked into that...don't see why not?

Edited by Landomatic

After page 1 my friend told me this was the perfect Surly thread. I said “no, it didn’t have any mention of buying a $100k RV on a whim after mentioning wanting to buy a $5k junker on CL” and then Wulaw updated the thread and I agree with my friend, this is the perfect Surly thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

lots of great destination choices.  we had an rv growing up and did family trips to the east coast civil war/revolutionary war/dc/mt rushmore, etc, as well as national parks in the west - carlsbad, zion, bryce, grand canyon, yellowstone, little bighorn, etc.   great trips and great memories.  you will be giving your kids a fantastic education and memories for a lifetime.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

After page 1 my friend told me this was the perfect Surly thread. I said “no, it didn’t have any mention of buying a $100k RV on a whim after mentioning wanting to buy a $5k junker on CL” and then Wulaw updated the thread and I agree with my friend, this is the perfect Surly thread.

Wulaw was drunk the day his wife got outa prison

And he went to pick her up in the rain

But before he could get to the station in a $5K RV

He said fuck it and plopped down a down payment on a $100K one

• Haha 1

The  fucking saga continues.  

Her- you know I'd really like a used RV- but not a piece of shit. 

Me- ok I will check that 2017 Georgetown out that we looked through the window.  Let me just drop everything I'm doing and go down there and see if it works.

1 hour later (after waiting out a train and a wreck- to get 3 miles away

Me- So, this thing is really nice inside.  Low mileage.  furniture is clean. It doesn't have bunks though, is that a deal breaker?

Her- No- I'd prefer bunks but that's not a deal breaker.  Kids can deal with it.  

Me- Ok- you sure?  Because I'm about to apply for finance and I don't want to be wasting mine or anyone else's time.

Her- Nah, go ahead- if finance works out we are all good

24 hours later

Me- Hey, we got the finance approved, RV qualified for no money down- we can go sign papers and pick it up whenever

Her- I've been thinking about it- We really need bunks. I want to buy used. There's a winnebago over in Buda that looks good. He said there's a couple people looking at it- but if we want to come see it that's fine.  Can you go over to Buda and look for me.

And, scene. 

PS- I'm in Kingwood- about 30 minutes NE of Houston. So yeah, not like one of you Austin shagsters getting asked to drop on down to Buda. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Me- ok I will check that 2017 Georgetown out that we looked through the window.  Let me just drop everything I'm doing and go down there and see if it works.

Me- So, this thing is really nice inside.  Low mileage.  furniture is clean. It doesn't have bunks though, is that a deal breaker?

Her- No- I'd prefer bunks but that's not a deal breaker.  Kids can deal with it.  

Me- Ok- you sure?  Because I'm about to apply for finance and I don't want to be wasting mine or anyone else's time.

24 hours later

Me- Hey, we got the finance approved, RV qualified for no money down- we can go sign papers and pick it up whenever

Her- I've been thinking about it- We really need bunks. I want to buy used. There's a winnebago over in Buda that looks good. He said there's a couple people looking at it- but if we want to come see it that's fine.  Can you go over to Buda and look for me.

And, scene. 

PS- I'm in Kingwood- about 30 minutes NE of Houston. So yeah, not like one of you Austin shagsters getting asked to drop on down to Buda. 

She’s right though...you’re gonna want bunk beds.  Not for sleeping, but more for it providing almost a full separate bedroom for each bunk.  That privacy/space to themself/quiet room/whatever will prove to be invaluable.

Edited by Landomatic

18 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

She’s right though...you’re gonna want bunk beds.  Not for sleeping, but more for it providing almost a full separate bedroom for each bunk.  That privacy/space to themself/quiet room/whatever will prove to be invaluable.

I absolutely believe that to be true. I'm also not sure why she couldn't have come to that conclusion before my adventure yesterday....

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

24 hours later

And, scene. 

While you're in Buda looking at the Winnebago, you can take a look at this Thor Windsport too:

https://www.crestviewrv.com/product/used-2019-thor-motor-coach-windsport-34j-1163923-9

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 5:45 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Ok- so I’m a big chicken about winding roads up in the mountains. Every time I go to Colorado in a normal car I freak the fuck out going to breckenridge and say never again. Is the a flat road through the Rockies well to the north?  I don’t want to drive a 33 foot rig thru switchbacks at 8 MPH with cars stacked up a mile deep. 

What road freaks you out on the way to Breck?  If you can't handle I-70 and Highway 9, you should probably skip Colorado.  You'll lose your mind driving around Durango, Telluride, Ouray, Aspen, etc.

Just pull off every so often to let people pass and you'll be fine.  Don't be that asshole who stacks up traffic 100 cars deep when there is no passing lane.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

What road freaks you out on the way to Breck?  If you can't handle I-70 and Highway 9, you should probably skip Colorado.  You'll lose your mind driving around Durango, Telluride, Ouray, Aspen, etc.

Just pull off every so often to let people pass and you'll be fine.  Don't be that asshole who stacks up traffic 100 cars deep when there is no passing lane.

He’s probably talking about the back way through Fairplay.  If you go that way, you go through Raton Pass and Hoosier Pass.  And as you noted, if you are uneasy with that route, just take 35 north to 70.