My families Great American Adventure

Wulaw Horn

5 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

We rent a Class A Georgetown for 1 week every summer.

There has ALWAYS been something break, or rented to us broken.(I am sure some of that is a function of being rented to randos over and over) Levelers(one of the worst things to live without), power stairs at exit, Dash AC, Back UP camera to name a few.  

There is no way a family of 5 is going a week in a Georgetown without services hook-up.  Black tank and grey tank will be full much before that.

If you're boondocking, you have to approach things in a different way.  We wash dishes very differently, we use the restroom very differently, we shower very differently.  

We're a family of 4 with 2 females, and my current trailer has a 35-gallon gray and a 35-gallon black.  We can stretch a week and that includes a navy shower for everyone, in the midst of that.

The vintage Airstream had a 30-gallon gray tank but only a 13-gallon black tank.  Talk about a challenge!  We were able to make it last 5 days.  EVERYONE had to to #1 outside though.  :)

27 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yep , get Wulaw Jr on the case.  That boy's got it going on and will have this worked out in no time.

I think his perfect life would be never setting foot in school again and getting licensed to sell loans, or homes, or boats, or boats and hoes or whatever at 18. 

Fucker could probably pull it off with the skills and intelligence he has. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Just signed the papers. 

Going to pick it up next week. Hope to be rolling next weekend. 

3 hour tutorial when picking it up. 

I know it's already done with but that 6% rate for 144 is pretty good by RV rate standards. I'm fairly competitive for RVs and my rate for 10 years is higher than your 12 year. I know you plan on paying it off early or selling it, but be sure you do that as I see a finance charge of nearly $40K at that rate for 12 years.

Edited by SimonBolivar

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Maybe on the gas budget. Guy claimed 10 mpg but I don’t know that I really believe that. 

My bet is we average about 1500 miles a month. At 8 mpg that’s 187 gallons. $2.00 a gallon (around here it’s only $1.50 but I figure it will be more on the road) that’s $360, plus 75 gallons for the truck at $150. That’s where I got that number from. 

When you say learn to boondock what do

you mean by that. Is it harder than turning off the engine, setting it in park, setting the break?  What else is there turning in for the night? 

This couple in this blog travel all over in the RV on a budget and do a lot of boondocking.  They put the GPS coordinates of their boondock sites.  You might take a look at it for places to boondock and save cash.  Since the weather should be nice, many nights you can just shut the generator off.

https://www.travelwithkevinandruth.com/

You need to rethink your aversion to Colorado (and other mountainous areas).  It has some of the best places to camp in the USA and the weather will be fantastic the next 5 months.  Driving up there in the summer is a piece of cake.  You can go at your own leisure and travel on low traffic days and times.  Seriously, just pull over and let people by every 10 miles or so.  There are turnouts everywhere.

The main places I would want to go if I was you involve dealing with some grades here and there.  Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, New Mexico, California (surely you want to spend plenty of time in Big Sur).  Your advantage is you are in no rush and can hit up some fantastic places when the tourists are largely gone.  Big Sur, Telluride, Lake City, Jackson Hole are freaking glorious from Late August to early November.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s my sense. I don’t think we are getting off the grid. 

then plan months in advance for the "in-demand" times. map it all out before you go, have your reservations, be super careful your reservation has the amenities you need and stay on schedule.  

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

If you've got some cash, add a lithium battery or two and some solar panels to the roof. 

Not sure of the ins and outs of it but a solar charger for the main batteries mounted to the roof would probably be worth its weight in gold.

5 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Not sure of the ins and outs of it but a solar charger for the main batteries mounted to the roof would probably be worth its weight in gold.

Especially if you want to run AC/heat and have a couple of TVs going all night. Spec the system right and you can just sit there all day running the AC and not worry about running out of electricity.

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I know it's already done with but that 6% rate for 144 is pretty good by RV rate standards. I'm fairly competitive for RVs and my rate for 10 years is higher than your 12 year. I know you plan on paying it off early or selling it, but be sure you do that as I see a finance charge of nearly $40K at that rate for 12 years.

Yessir. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Especially if you want to run AC/heat and have a couple of TVs going all night. Spec the system right and you can just sit there all day running the AC and not worry about running out of electricity.

You can't really run A/C off the batteries.  The A/C just requires way too much power.  You'd need a massive battery bank, a massive inverter, and a massive solar array, to get enough charge to run the A/C for 6-8 hours.  It really just isn't done in the RV world.

Most people boondock in climates where you don't need A/C.  But if you DO want A/C, then you're running the generator to get it.

46 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You can't really run A/C off the batteries.  The A/C just requires way too much power.  You'd need a massive battery bank, a massive inverter, and a massive solar array, to get enough charge to run the A/C for 6-8 hours.  It really just isn't done in the RV world.

Most people boondock in climates where you don't need A/C.  But if you DO want A/C, then you're running the generator to get it.

That makes sense. I’m hoping to not need ac by mid July. Get coastal and north of the mason Dixon line. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That makes sense. I’m hoping to not need ac by mid July. Get coastal and north of the mason Dixon line. 

Just curious, how many A/C units does your rig have?  I'm guessing it's 2, and 50A service, is that correct?

Would be interested if you had any links to it or something like it, just to see what you got yourself into. :)

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not worried at all about the 'Rona. Even were I to worry about it I can't imagine feeling unsafe at state/national parks. 

Not to be a killjoy, but you need to plan for it, at the very least.  What if one of you gets the 'rona and has some heavy CV19 symptoms far from home and require more than you can do in an RV.  I don't think you want to be in Heminford Home, NE, and be stuck in that small hospital for goodness knows how long on a ventilator made from corn and duck tape.  Are you the level of lawyer that can charter a private jet out of BFE to get you, the wife, or the kids to a good hospital close to home or are you the level of lawyer like I am that does well, has good credit, and a spirit of adventure, but not unlimited resources to move heaven and earth from said BFE at a moment's notice to overcome any challenge.

Worth a thought or a game plan. 

38 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Not to be a killjoy, but you need to plan for it, at the very least.  What if one of you gets the 'rona and has some heavy CV19 symptoms far from home and require more than you can do in an RV.  I don't think you want to be in Heminford Home, NE, and be stuck in that small hospital for goodness knows how long on a ventilator made from corn and duck tape.  Are you the level of lawyer that can charter a private jet out of BFE to get you, the wife, or the kids to a good hospital close to home or are you the level of lawyer like I am that does well, has good credit, and a spirit of adventure, but not unlimited resources to move heaven and earth from said BFE at a moment's notice to overcome any challenge.

Worth a thought or a game plan. 

I mean, I don't even have a doctor and I'm pretty sure we still have obama care bronze level, so... it's not like here is a panacea.  If I die, I die, so be it.  But its just as likely to come for me in Houston as it is out on the road. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, I don't even have a doctor and I'm pretty sure we still have obama care bronze level, so... it's not like here is a panacea.  If I die, I die, so be it.  But its just as likely to come for me in Houston as it is out on the road. 

With kids and no doctor, you sound young.  That's fine.  No offense intended.  But you seem to have means.  Maybe picking a doc for when things go haywire, as they do, would be a good call. 

As for the rest, fair enough.  But you have capable hospitals in Houston.  My point is that you don't want to be stuck in BFE with your or a family member in residence.  I mean, I've had family members stuck in the hospital for weeks on end, and it's hard enough when you're trying to manage it from your own home. 

I've said what I felt I needed to say.  Go forth, have fun, learn from your trials, and be awesome as a result.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

With no doctor, you sound young.  That's fine.  No offense intended.

As for the rest, fair enough.  But you have capable hospitals in Houston.  My point is that you don't want to be stuck in BFE with your or a family member in residence.  I mean, I've had family members stuck in the hospital for weeks on end, and it's hard enough when you're trying to manage it from your own home. 

I've said what I felt I needed to say.  Go forth, have fun, learn from your trials, and be awesome as a result.

I'm a man! I'm 41!

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm a man! I'm 41!

In all seriousness, that's a great response. 

I'm 47.  I edited my post above.  Time for a primary physician, my friend.  Shit slowly falls apart for some (even the healthy some like I am; reasonably good health, exercise, etc).  You want someone to make the referrals at the least.  That's all to reinforce my suggestion above that you have a plan for when shit goes wrong (it probably won't) in BFE.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Looks good.  Should also be a great tailgating vehicle, if the gubment ever lets us tailgate again of course.

I think dedicated bunks would have been helpful, but I had to make up the beds in the Airstream for ten years, so you'll get by.

Most importantly you got a private stabbin cabin... err.... master bedroom.

Speaking of which, unless it has already been done, you're probably going to want to upgrade the mattress.  We got the RV queen version of the one I'll link below, but you should definitely check the size of yours to see if it's a true King or an RV king, should you decide to change it out.

https://www.amazon.com/DynastyMattress-10-inch-CoolBreeze-Memory-Mattress/dp/B073K8G5KX/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=rv%2Bking%2Bmattress%2Bdynasty%2Bmattress%2B10%2Binch&qid=1590754073&sr=8-5&th=1

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

You should do a trial run this weekend before leaving town.  Seriously, go to a nearby RV park and spend a night or two.  There might be shit at your house you are forgetting to take you might want.

Don't forget athletic gear and fishing equipment either.

This is a really good idea.  If possible, schedule it for immediately after you go to their RV school, so everything's fresh in your mind.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

This is a really good idea.

There are a lot of really good ideas on this thread.  Wulaw's just a little hit and miss on which ones he listens to.  But, alas, that's why we love him.

Next up, someone please learn him on how to post pics so this thread can go to 11.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

There are a lot of really good ideas on this thread.  Wulaw's just a little hit and miss on which ones he listens to.  But, alas, that's why we love him.

Next up, someone please learn him on how to post pics so this thread can go to 11.

Indeed. I’m completely open minded to all ideas, I just also have my own mind on things. I’ve honestly listened to and thought about everything said. 

I really appreciate all the ideas. Thanks y’all. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Indeed. I’m completely open minded to all ideas, I just also have my own mind on things. I’ve honestly listened to and thought about everything said. 

I really appreciate all the ideas. Thanks guys 

Yeah, perhaps "hit and miss" was the wrong phrase.  You're just "selective"  hahaha

Definitely do a sea trial before you go on the big trip. You need to learn how fast consumables get used, find bugs and learn the vehicle. Don't know what kind of generator you have, but if it's a 7kw gasoline, figure around a gallon an hour. Also you are going to have to learn how to shower. Use the water in short bursts, wet/soap/rinse. Not only will you burn thru your water, the hot runs out pretty damned fast. You should be able to shower using less that 2 minutes of water (and that's being generous). This will be most difficult for females to adapt.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RPM said:

Definitely do a sea trial before you go on the big trip. You need to learn how fast consumables get used, find bugs and learn the vehicle. Don't know what kind of generator you have, but if it's a 7kw gasoline, figure around a gallon an hour. Also you are going to have to learn how to shower. Use the water in short bursts, wet/soap/rinse. Not only will you burn thru your water, the hot runs out pretty damned fast. You should be able to shower using less that 2 minutes of water (and that's being generous). This will be most difficult for females to adapt.

I’m the only person on the family that bathes regularly. They are all nasty, so maybe not as hard as you might imagine. 

Thanks for the other tips. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m the only person on the family that bathes regularly. They are all nasty, so maybe not as hard as you might imagine. 

Thanks for the other tips. 

This is going to be great in close quarters.  I can see the stink lines now!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The little two are also still both in diapers at night time. That should be fun bc diapers never leak or smell disgusting the next day. 

How old again?  Making them piss outdoors might actually be a good accelerator in the potty training realm. 

10 minutes ago, dcbc said:

How old again?  Making them piss outdoors might actually be a good accelerator in the potty training realm. 

5 and 7. I’m talking about wetting the bed at night time, not pissing themselves during the day. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

5 and 7. I’m talking about wetting the bed at night time, not pissing themselves during the day. 

Can't help you there.  Mine (older) have had their share of challenges, but wetting the bed was not among them. 

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I never did but both of my kids grand dads and their uncle were bedwetters well into their lives. 

Now I'm not saying I didn't piss the bed a couple of times as a kid, and a couple of times more on a few nights in college.  LIke any challenge in life, they'll deal with it.  You'll help.

25 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Now I'm not saying I didn't piss the bed a couple of times as a kid, and a couple of times more on a few nights in college.  LIke any challenge in life, they'll deal with it.  You'll help.

My ex wife pissed the bed in law school and then woke up and tried to blame it on me. When I called bullshit went all Brittney Spears- oops I did it again. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 11:15 PM, Hank_Hill said:

If you do Vegas —> Grand Canyon I’d recommend (especially at that time of year) aiming for the North Rim and 1000% hitting Zion if you haven’t. I’ve been to Zion 4 times and I’m still not done with it.

I did the trans Zion trail last October and it was amazing. It was a almost 50 miles and I loved being out in the woods away from people. Springdale is also a nice town. 

Sick of waiting. We pick it up next week sometime. Apparently we have a ton of stuff to do to “get ready” to leave town. Will leave either next Saturday or the one after that. Times a wasting. 
You better start a thread.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think he was referring to you.
I was referring to me. I told Wulaw to start a thread about his family's travels. In the thread he started to talk about his family's travels (misspelling notwithstanding).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk