My families Great American Adventure

Wulaw Horn

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I was referring to me. I told Wulaw to start a thread about his family's travels. In the thread he started to talk about his family's travels (misspelling notwithstanding).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah.  It also said "families" Great Am. Adventure.  Forewent singular family with "high comma" (or apostrophe for we educated old farts and Zappa fans) + "S" in favor of plural, which is what peaked my interest in case it was some sort of RV meets Big Love affair.  Would not read title again. :)

/trial lawyer is my guess

//appellate lawyer joke

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Yeah.  It also said "families" Great Am. Adventure.  Forewent singular family with "high comma" + "S" in favor of plural, which is what peaked my interest in case it was some sort of RV meets Big Love affair.  Would not read title again. :)

/trial lawyer is my guess

//appellate lawyer joke

No kind of lawyer at all am I. I merely sling mortgages for a living (while operating a side hustle as a fee attorney in title company, where my main job requirements are to answer the phone 3 times a month when my manager tells me what to do. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No kind of lawyer at all am I. I merely sling mortgages for a living (while operating a side hustle as a fee attorney in title company, where my main job requirements are to answer the phone 3 times a month when my manager tells me what to do. 

Just ribbin' ya.  My wife did that title company lawyer gig for a while when she was in private practice.  Still a little disappointed that you didn't have a side family and were planning on sticking both families into the RV.  But regardless, this will do nicely

Edited by dcbc

21 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Just ribbin' ya.  My wife did that title company lawyer gig for a while when she was in private practice.  Still a little disappointed that you didn't have a side family and were planning on sticking both families into the RV.  But regardless, this will do nicely

Nothing so exciting. I blame growing up in California in the 1980’s for the thread title. We learned “whole writing” where basically the idea was to ignore grammar, punctuation and spelling and just write. 

I’ve never been formally taught any basic English fundamentals. Which is fine in that I’ve won writing competitions before in high school and Law school, but technically I know nothing more than- does that look correct. Apostrophes and the rules pertaining to them are truly befuddling to me. I usually just try to avoid them at all times I’m formal writing, but on the internet I don’t care so much. 

It’s hard to get too worked up about anything typing with two thumbs on an I-phone while dicking around and half paying attention. That last sentence was my proof that for all my dipshittedness with apostrophes I do know my to/too/two’s. 

On 5/27/2020 at 11:29 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

The  fucking saga continues.  

Her- you know I'd really like a used RV- but not a piece of shit. 

Me- ok I will check that 2017 Georgetown out that we looked through the window.  Let me just drop everything I'm doing and go down there and see if it works.

1 hour later (after waiting out a train and a wreck- to get 3 miles away

Me- So, this thing is really nice inside.  Low mileage.  furniture is clean. It doesn't have bunks though, is that a deal breaker?

Her- No- I'd prefer bunks but that's not a deal breaker.  Kids can deal with it.  

Me- Ok- you sure?  Because I'm about to apply for finance and I don't want to be wasting mine or anyone else's time.

Her- Nah, go ahead- if finance works out we are all good

24 hours later

Me- Hey, we got the finance approved, RV qualified for no money down- we can go sign papers and pick it up whenever

Her- I've been thinking about it- We really need bunks. I want to buy used. There's a winnebago over in Buda that looks good. He said there's a couple people looking at it- but if we want to come see it that's fine.  Can you go over to Buda and look for me.

And, scene. 

PS- I'm in Kingwood- about 30 minutes NE of Houston. So yeah, not like one of you Austin shagsters getting asked to drop on down to Buda. 

Have you flooded?

On 5/29/2020 at 7:33 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Indeed. I’m completely open minded to all ideas, I just also have my own mind on things. I’ve honestly listened to and thought about everything said. 

I really appreciate all the ideas. Thanks y’all. 

So you guys are going all in on the RV swingers lifestyle?

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Never. 

Glad to hear.  We did as we were too close to Buffalo Bayou.  Back on topic, I wanted to share with you what little I know about RVing.  Our daughter's in laws are experts.  They were State Farm adjusters and traveled all over the southern USA.  They had various fifth wheels, self contained with slide outs, etc.  He (father in law) was an excellent mechanic so they had no difficulties there.  They did encounter some winter weather the one time they went north to Illinois and had to rent a motel because the heat just couldn't keep up with the falling temps.

Our son-in-law, their son, got the bug and bought a huge self contained RV.  He too has his dad's mechanical abilities.  Their first trip was from Houston To Lafayette and our daughter had stocked it complete with kitchen utensils.  Needless to say the I-10 at that time was a roller coaster and every cabinet door flew open and dishes flew everywhere.  They learned quickly.

The other experience was a neighbor, a rather nice aggy with lots of tools in his chest.  His Prevost, or Provest, one of those super expensive RV's was used regularly.  On a trip to Colorado he was in the shower and his wife was frantic as water was rolling down the aisle.  She yelled at him but it was too late.  The RV was parked on a slight incline and the water ran with gravity into the electronics bay and shorted EVERYTHING.  

Be prepared.  I too cannot wait to read of this adventure.  I'm hoping you have a wonderful trip.

On 5/28/2020 at 9:42 AM, SHOOTER12 said:

I don't know Ricky. Sounds like a great plan, but those travel trailers get really small, really fast.318604e8c0673f95269d5b4629a4eab5.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Too funny.  I may be the only old enough in here to have actually watched that film the month it came out.  They had this swanky (at that time) convertible pulling the trailer.  Lucy decided to fix supper so Ricky pulled over and let her out of the car and into the trailer.  As the trip began she was falling all over the place inside the RV trying to make a salad.  It was really getting tossed :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BevoSwag said:

Too funny.  I may be the only old enough in here to have actually watched that film the month it came out.  They had this swanky (at that time) convertible pulling the trailer.  Lucy decided to fix supper so Ricky pulled over and let her out of the car and into the trailer.  As the trip began she was falling all over the place inside the RV trying to make a salad.  It was really getting tossed :)

Brat saw the cave painting version though. 

On 5/30/2020 at 6:38 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Watched RV with the family this afternoon and now wife and I are renting We’re the Millers. Super pumped. 

Put "The Hills Have Eyes" up next in your watching queue.

Just kidding, absolutely do not do that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Picking it up tomorrow bitches. How do I post pictures here from my iPhone? 

You don’t know how to post pictures from your iPhone on here and yet you want to do a cross country trip with your wife and kids in a vehicle you have no idea how to properly navigate? Good luck, man. You’re gonna need it.

Click to choose files down below and then find the photo and upload it.

Edited by mdmost

Picking it up tomorrow bitches. How do I post pictures here from my iPhone? 

Download Tapatalk (disable tapa signature)  Find Surly.  Post pics.  Profit.

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Is there a way to do it without tapa?  I tried using tapa once and it suuuuuucks.

See mdmost’s post above. You can post directly from your camera roll online now rather than having to host it somewhere.

Im trying to post a picture of my travel dog (because the only thing better than this idea is doing it with a 6 month old puppy)

do I click on something on my iPhone camera roll to post here, or do I click on something on this site to capture from my iPhone camera roll? 

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Im trying to post a picture of my travel dog (because the only thing better than this idea is doing it with a 6 month old puppy)

do I click on something on my iPhone camera roll to post here, or do I click on something on this site to capture from my iPhone camera roll? 

When you type out your post, look right below and hit the click to choose files button. Click photo library and select the picture from your phone.

I’m apparently to stupid to figure this out. 

Ive got a B I U smiley face, link, attachment and gif button up top then an insert image from url button, notify me of replies and a submit reply button. 

Then a following button. Am I missing something?  

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m apparently to stupid to figure this out. 

Ive got a B I U smiley face, link, attachment and gif button up top then an insert image from url button, notify me of replies and a submit reply button. 

Then a following button. Am I missing something?  

If you don’t have that option it might be because you don’t pay for this site. Anyway, the other really easy way to do it is to use imgbb 

Go here https://imgbb.com and click upload. Follow instructions. When you are done you will see a little thumbnail of your disaster of a vacation picture and below that embed codes. Select bbcode full linked, copy that, paste it here.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Did you paste that into the insert image from url place?  Because that seems to be where I’m off kilter. I click on there, it turns pink, and then nothing happens. 

You paste it into the post field.  No buttons in the bar above.  The software handles the rest.  Just right click on the picture on IMGBB and pick the one that looks like image address or image location.  Come over here, click under your post in the post field and paste the link. 

If it doesn't show you an image below your post right then and there, just submit reply anyway.  Then, go back in and edit your post.  Delete the link.  And repaste it.  Then, save.  60% of the time, it works every time.

Edited by dcbc

@Wulaw Horn

get a pic posted so I can rep.

Went to do so and couldn’t overcome pic failure.

As previously posted, so much respect on this.  This will be a memory others wish they had with their family.  Twenty years from now it’s gonna be what’s remembered at Thanksgiving.  The failures will become fond memories.

17 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Did you paste that into the insert image from url place?  Because that seems to be where I’m off kilter. I click on there, it turns pink, and then nothing happens. 

You are sooo going to regret this decision and I will be along for the entire glorious ride.

popcorn.gif

6 minutes ago, NIUHuskies said:

Sounds like a great trip.

Looks likes things in TN are slower to open up. 

May I suggest that you head a more southerly route?

Hit Natchez, Vicksburg and then slide into Alabama and do the Civil Rights Trail.

I loathe the heat. I’m getting north as quick as I can (400 miles a week then setting up camp at one spot for the work week being the rules). I need temperatures in the 70’s and 80’s with it cooling down to the 60’s at night. In other words “not the south” 

So- I’ve got

the RV loaded with my stuff a week early. In the closet hang two shirts (golf polos) and the rest of my stuff is here 

https://ibb.co/c3q2Thp

1 medium size drawer is enough for a 41 year old to live out of for 14 months, right?

still to pack- 4 more pairs of shorts. Those will totally fit though. 

I’m actually cheating a little. I have a pair of blue jeans, one long sleeve shirt, some sweatpants and a windbreaker packed underneath in storage. During the winter I will take that out. 

Also- 1 towel per person. Each of my kids gets one drawer. The wife gets the rest I guess. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

8 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

Which way you headed first?

Hot springs Arkansas. Getting to the east coast then northeast for the summer, across the top of America in late summer and early fall, west coast in fall proper, high desert coming home to Texas in December. 

Probably south east and Midwest in the winter and into the spring, and northeast or mountain states next summer. 

Goal is to basically have the weather be somewhere between 50-80 degrees the whole trip. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1