My families Great American Adventure

Wulaw Horn

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Hot springs Arkansas. Getting to the east coast then northeast for the summer, across the top of America in late summer and early fall, west coast in fall proper, high desert coming home to Texas in December. 

Probably south east and Midwest in the winter and into the spring, and northeast or mountain states next summer. 

Goal is to basically have the weather be somewhere between 50-80 degrees the whole trip. 

It's pretty hot in California if you're more inland in September. Sounds like a great trip. Have fun and good luck. 

Edited by mdmost

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

It's pretty hot in California if you're more inland in September. Sounds like a great trip. Have fun and good luck. 

California will be mid-October/November. Redwood forests, family in Napa, Monterey peninsula, sand Diego. Probably be in California from mid October thru mid November. 

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Just saw this thread but you might consider a roadside assistance plan from Coachnet. They will send someone out to fix anything:

https://coach-net.com/

We just got one from Good Sam. Going to get a one year warranty too from someone I think. Anything in particular to recommend that one over Good Sam? 

California will be mid-October/November. Redwood forests, family in Napa, Monterey peninsula, sand Diego. Probably be in California from mid October thru mid November. 
Should be nice and smokey by then.
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We just got one from Good Sam. Going to get a one year warranty too from someone I think. Anything in particular to recommend that one over Good Sam? 

No I think you're gonna be fine with Good Sam.  Our current RV came free with Coach-Net for two years, but I know a lot of RVers that are happy with Good Sam.

On 6/7/2020 at 8:08 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Hot springs Arkansas. Getting to the east coast then northeast for the summer, across the top of America in late summer and early fall, west coast in fall proper, high desert coming home to Texas in December. 

Probably south east and Midwest in the winter and into the spring, and northeast or mountain states next summer. 

Goal is to basically have the weather be somewhere between 50-80 degrees the whole trip. 

Departure date?

If you pass through Texarkana I’m sure Mrs. Stanco would be happy to let [mention=1619]MarkStanco[/mention] join you for the duration of the trip. He won’t be of any value unless you just happen to need an HOA president.

• Like 1

If you pass through Texarkana I’m sure Mrs. Stanco would be happy to let [mention=1619]MarkStanco[/mention] join you for the duration of the trip. He won’t be of any value unless you just happen to need an HOA president.

I'm laid up after rotator cuff surgury. These drugs are really odd.

8 hours ago, Landomatic said:

What are you waiting on?  You figured out how to post pics here.  What else do you need?

Wife is still cleaning house and preparing. I’ve already packed my drawer and am ready to go. 

Actually that’s not true- I have two business meetings tomorrow and then have to clean the garage on Friday. 

5 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

@Wulaw Horn  I'm really anxious for you to get on the road and hate to be a sort of downer but have you considered the Covid19 issue since it is apparently flaring up again in Texas.  Not sure about Arkansas.  How would this work if you are in tim buck two and someone gets ill?

There is nothing more American than driving an RV across the country and infecting everyone you meet with Covid. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

@Wulaw Horn  I'm really anxious for you to get on the road and hate to be a sort of downer but have you considered the Covid19 issue since it is apparently flaring up again in Texas.  Not sure about Arkansas.  How would this work if you are in tim buck two and someone gets ill?

Joe Buck and Tim Beck had a baby?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BevoSwag said:

I asked precisely this upthread.  He responded, in not so few words, that he's not afraid. 

Edited by dcbc

Just came across this thread in all it's gloriousness.  Good luck Wulaw, what a fantastic adventure.

I believe you said you are planning on  towing your truck behind the RV.  Do you have a light kit for you truck that will operate the truck brake lights when you press the RV brake?  If not, consider if someone behind you can see your RV lights around the truck.  They also make a toad braking system which will operate the truck brakes to help slow things down.  In addition, have you looked at the tow requirements on the Ford?  I don't know about the F150 but some trucks can't be towed flat and require a trailer or reverse towed with the rear wheels on a dolly.

Next, I read that you are planning on using dealers on the road to fix things that break (narrator: because they will) you might want to do some research on current service backlogs at dealerships in the areas that you are traveling.  I'm in the middle of a trailer purchase and my dealer said they are currently 4-6 wks backlog and last weekend they had 8 or so campers, with people living in them, at the dealer onsite RV park waiting on service.

This couple has a full-timer RV youtube channel and they have a lot of great information on living in a RV fulltime.  This one is about essentials for day one and in the info they have links to their blog and additional videos.

Again, good luck and keep us updated on your travels.

Edited by davidg
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Just came across this thread in all it's gloriousness.  Good luck Wulaw, what a fantastic adventure.

I believe you said you are planning on  towing your truck behind the RV.  Do you have a light kit for you truck that will operate the truck brake lights when you press the RV brake?  If not, consider if someone behind you can see your RV lights around the truck.  They also make a toad braking system which will operate the truck brakes to help slow things down.  In addition, have you looked at the tow requirements on the Ford?  I don't know about the F150 but some trucks can't be towed flat and require a trailer or reverse towed with the rear wheels on a dolly.

Next, I read that you are planning on using dealers on the road to fix things that break (narrator: because they will) you might want to do some research on current service backlogs at dealerships in the areas that you are traveling.  I'm in the middle of a trailer purchase and my dealer said they are currently 4-6 wks backlog and last weekend they had 8 or so campers, with people living in them, at the dealer onsite RV park waiting on service.

This couple has a full-timer RV youtube channel and they have a lot of great information on living in a RV fulltime.  This one is about essentials for day one and in the info they have links to their blog and additional videos.

Not going to tow. Wife is going to follow behind me while driving herself. 

Built in break from kids for her 1 day a week. We are only rolling once a week and no more than 400 miles. Didn’t want to fuck with turning a 30 foot rv into a 50 footer, so to speak. 

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not going to tow. Wife is going to follow behind me while driving herself. 

Built in break from kids for her 1 day a week. We are only rolling once a week and no more than 400 miles. Didn’t want to fuck with turning a 30 foot rv into a 50 footer, so to speak. 

Wise move.  You cannot back up even a foot in my experience while towing a vehicle.  It can be a pain if you don’t have experience.  

3 hours ago, davidg said:

From my one experience needing service on the road at some dealer in southern Montana, if they know you are traveling they try to squeeze you in.  But ours was a minor problem, so ymmv 

4 hours ago, RPM said:

I'm sure this was covered earlier, but do you have a dashcam? You'll want one to record the incredible scenery and as evidence when some jackwagon runs into you.

I honestly don't know why everyone does spend the 50-100 on a dashcam.  We spend 10s of thousands on the car hundred a month on insurance. A dashcam is a small price to pay in my opinion.  Shit if I were the big insurance companies I'd offer them free to all customers.

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I honestly don't know why everyone does spend the 50-100 on a dashcam.  We spend 10s of thousands on the car hundred a month on insurance. A dashcam is a small price to pay in my opinion.  Shit if I were the big insurance companies I'd offer them free to all customers.

Well for every accident the dash cam saves your ass as an insurer, one kills you case.  

But even if it equaled out, probably would save attorney fees not fighting over liability.  

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Shit if I were the big insurance companies I'd offer them free to all customers.

For the good drivers, sure.  Do you really think it’s a good idea for first-time RV users to have a dashcam.  It would probably be self-incriminating.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

For the good drivers, sure.  Do you really think it’s a good idea for first-time RV users to have a dashcam.  It would probably be self-incriminating.

I have driven a school bus a bunch when I coached. Driving a vehicle that size won’t be new to me. 

16 hours ago, davidg said:

Does she ever get naked?  Because...wood

50 miles down the road. To nana and papas house to say bye. 

I made my first fuck up of the trip and didn’t get reservations in hot springs in time so we are checking in to Eureka springs tomorrow at 10. That means no great Smokey mountains and instead week 2 is in bumfuck Indiana. Because week 3 we need to be in DC area to visit my sister in laws for 4th of July. Also, I’m now going to get serious about booking my itinerary for the entire summer. Feel like a dope. Upside, I guess, is that my wife had two people she wanted to see on this trip and we will have that knocked out in the first 15 days on the road (Missouri and West Virginia). 

Pretty excited to sleep in a Wal Mart parking lot tonight- whoo hoooo!  

• Like 1