My families Great American Adventure

Wulaw Horn

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Monticello + looking at UVA is a solid day. Hiking in the National Park of course is great too. If you can get over to Richmond then take a look at the Confederate White House (American Civil War Museum) and there are plenty of other sites from the Colonial and Civil War Eras all across the state. It's really one of the best states to spend a month in.

Of course almost all of these places could be closed so do some research.

Williamsburg.  Jamestown.  I think Carter Hall is closed, but you might be able to walk the grounds.  It's an impressive place just to look at.

So what about the a/c leak? Did you get that under control? Also get prepared for rough roads and things getting shaken loose. The farther East you go, the worse it gets and it can get severe. Make sure you have your kitchen stowed tight. I remember watching an icechest do a complete 360 rotation with a 1/2 twist driving between Cleveland and Youngstown. On the bright side, didn't spill a drop.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

So what about the a/c leak? Did you get that under control? Also get prepared for rough roads and things getting shaken loose. The farther East you go, the worse it gets and it can get severe. Make sure you have your kitchen stowed tight. I remember watching an icechest do a complete 360 rotation with a 1/2 twist driving between Cleveland and Youngstown. On the bright side, didn't spill a drop.

When we put the ac on dry there is no lead (it’s not as cold but it’s cool ish). The days down to 80 and low of 67 at night so we’ve been just opening the windows and that’s been ok. So, we can get though, I think, until it gets really hot again. I’m going to get a rubber band and go back up on the roof with my electric screw driver and try that trick out. If that doesn’t work I’m getting that driver that was talked about upthread.  I will not let this defeat me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

When we put the ac on dry there is no lead (it’s not as cold but it’s cool ish). The days down to 80 and low of 67 at night so we’ve been just opening the windows and that’s been ok. So, we can get though, I think, until it gets really hot again. I’m going to get a rubber band and go back up on the roof with my electric screw driver and try that trick out. If that doesn’t work I’m getting that driver that was talked about upthread.  I will not let this defeat me. 

Skip the rubber band idea and get an EZ-out or just try removing it with a pair of channel lock pliers (you should have 3 different sizes in your tool kit, basic survival, They are the duct tape/baling wire of wrenches). Get a pair of needle nose channel locks, too.

Seriously, the a/c should just drain on the roof and run off. If the drain hole is open and you're parked level, it should just find the lowest point. Maybe you need to find which side it drains towards and tilt your level that direction slightly to help it. The roof could have a few bows or wrinkles that are causing it to puddle instead of drain..

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

We went to a museum that was a main house run back in the day by a Quaker in the Underground Railroad- now turned into a museum in Indiana. It was... interesting. 

I teared up at a couple places just not able to conceptualize and imagine how people could own other people especially over an immutable characteristic they were born with- just something my 21st century brain can’t wrap its mind around. 

The experience left me... confused in some ways. I would have loved to chat with a couple of the shaggy minority communities about what they thought. What struck me was that the whole tour of the house was about... the white guy?  There was a lot of talk about him and his family and what they went through and their sacrifices. On one had I get that/ it was a museum about their house. But it was super light on any of the talk about stories of the runaway slaves that came through there. Kind of reminded me of the last cut on game of thrones being not is Sansa’s wedding night but rather of Theon watching it. Would have like to hear experience of some non whites in that respect. 

• Like 2

Went to museum where Wilbur Wright was born. Had a model of first airplane. Kind of cool. Then went to an Amish place.

Explained to kids how they lived and they thought it was goofy that anyone would want technology to stop at 1840 or whatever they find to be ok. 

12 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

Ready to pull up anchor and move on?  Next stop?  If they see that Texas license plate you may need a passport to enter some "states" lol.

Yep. Cruises into the Walmart parking lot today in Shendoah valley Virginia. Check in at 2:00 pm tomorrow. Long ass drive. We’re in (in order) Indiana, Ohio, Pa, WV, MD and Virginia. I think we were actually in West Virginia 3 different times. The last 2 hours of the drive were amazing in the valley. Incredibly pretty. 
I’m hoping that the receipts I have proving we haven’t been in Texas for weeks are enough to get me into some states and out of quarantine. 
Very pumped up for this week. Cavern exploration, 4 mile waterfall hike and the. A tubing/rafting trip. This gonna be good. Then driving tour of DC and driving tour of Philly if most things are shut down as I suspect they will be. 

• Like 4

Meant to offer this tip to Wulaw for repairing things if you don't think you have much mechanical aptitude.

Take photos with your cell phone as you disassemble something.  You can refer back to them to make sure you put back together right.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

At least the tantrums were out of doors and not within the confines of the motor home :)

That’s the very least man. 
the 9’year old wouldn’t go rafting. She stayed home with the wife while I took the little two down the river. It was awesome scenery, 5 hours out on the river in perfect conditions. Water temp was 71 degrees and outside temp was 86. Beautiful day and absolutely no walking, river flowed the entire way. Made me wish I wasn’t with my kids and instead floating on a tube with my with my wife and a case of beer. Just awesome setting. I swear there were 5 pound fish jumping out of the water. Indescribably beautiful. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

I hope you guys are holed up somewhere nice for July 4th, and that the fireworks will go off. In Texas they all seem to be cancelled. 

We are trying to figure out what to do. Have to leave our campsite today and don’t have reservations at next place in Gettysburg until Monday the 6th have to boondock somewhere and no idea where for next 3 days. 

Did you do WIlliamsburg?  Probably a shitshow this time of year, but a pretty cool place for kiddos.

No. That was 3 hours away from where we were at. Will do that next spring
Though. I think I could spend at least a month in Virginia/dc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My parents took me on something resembling what was called the "Bicentennial Tour" in 1975.  DC, Philly, Williamsburg, Gettysburg, etc.  It has been a long time, obviously, but it remains memorable.

Also in that area around Gettysburg (Lancaster) is some Pennsylvania Dutch area that is kind of worth paying attention to while on the road.

Colonial Williamsburg may have been the worst experience of my childhood. Dad took me and I think we spent about 30 minutes wandering around amongst the “actors” and other tourists and both of us said screw this. Spent the next 2 days playing golf. This was over 30 years ago and maybe things are different now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So,

went to Walmart that we are boondocking in your get some beers in PA and they don’t sell beer in the grocery store here. In Indiana they don’t sell it at the gas station. Weirdos. 
So, went to the beer barn across the street and literally every single person in there bought an “adult slushie”. Feel like I wasted 4.49 but when in Rome...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So,

went to Walmart that we are boondocking in your get some beers in PA and they don’t sell beer in the grocery store here. In Indiana they don’t sell it at the gas station. Weirdos. 
So, went to the beer barn across the street and literally every single person in there bought an “adult slushie”. Feel like I wasted 4.49 but when in Rome...  

Texans don’t really have the moral authority to call other states out on strange liquor laws.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Texans don’t really have the moral authority to call other states out on strange liquor laws.

I mean, just because we can’t sell spirits in grocery stores and the blue laws, and not selling before 7:00 am and yeah I get your point. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So,

How's the budget going since that long trip at Walmart with the being charged for the extra blankies?  Proud of ya man.  Keep on going and sharing.  Best thread on the Surl.

42 minutes ago, zork said:

How's the budget going since that long trip at Walmart with the being charged for the extra blankies?  Proud of ya man.  Keep on going and sharing.  Best thread on the Surl.

I mean, I’m spending $1000 more a month than I’d planned on the toad I think. Campsites have been more expensive as has food. We are mixing that up by eating in every meal except one a week (gas more expensive too) But it isn’t a deal breaker yet. 
Boy it’s hot as fuck though and the AC doesn’t touch the bedroom at all. Sweating my balls off, literally. 
Went to Gettysburg diarama and then a restaurant in a house from 1776. Got buzzed, then went to said beer barn. End of the day we spent $250 today in Gettysburg while staying at a Walmart. That’s not particularly sustainable but tomorrow I plan on spending 0- so it all makes up for it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, I’m spending $1000 more a month than I’d planned on the toad I think. Campsites have been more expensive as has food. We are mixing that up by eating in every meal except one a week (gas more expensive too) But it isn’t a deal breaker yet. 
Boy it’s hot as fuck though and the AC doesn’t touch the bedroom at all. Sweating my balls off, literally. 
Went to Gettysburg diarama and then a restaurant in a house from 1776. Got buzzed, then went to said beer barn. End of the day we spent $250 today in Gettysburg while staying at a Walmart. That’s not particularly sustainable but tomorrow I plan on spending 0- so it all makes up for it. 

Still got that guy getting his leg sawed off?  I remember that shit vividly here 45 years later.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 7/3/2020 at 2:55 PM, justhookit said:

Colonial Williamsburg may have been the worst experience of my childhood. Dad took me and I think we spent about 30 minutes wandering around amongst the “actors” and other tourists and both of us said screw this. Spent the next 2 days playing golf. This was over 30 years ago and maybe things are different now.

How old were you?  I'd say it's pretty good, or was, for kids 10-12 and under if they have any affinity for history and revolutionary life.  I mostly liked seeing the 200 year old buildings and how people lived back then.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Sounds pretty badass. Good job, you have exceeded my expectations for this trip so far.

This heat everywhere must suck for you

Yeah there’s no getting around it. We are in yankee land and it’s mid 90’s basically everywhere. 
cancelled reservation for the week in Gettysburg (that’s why we are boondocking it two nights here instead) and are staying in the Poconos instead but even up in the mountains it’s supposed to be 88 all next week. 
we were thinking about hauling ass up to Maine because if you get north enough and coastal you can get low to mid 70’s, but they’ve got a quarantine going on.  

36 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

How old were you?  I'd say it's pretty good, or was, for kids 10-12 and under if they have any affinity for history and revolutionary life.  I mostly liked seeing the 200 year old buildings and how people lived back then.

I went when I was 13 and liked it. We are probably doing the whole south east as far as Washington DC next January- April or so of 2021 so will go to Carolinas and Virginia again then and probably do colonial Williamsburg.  If I don’t run out of money and business still goes ok.

Speaking of which- if anyone wants to refi their home I’ve got 2.8 for a rate no fees- hit me up!  Business is stupid good right now but refinancing everyone in the world isn’t particularly sustainable. I guess with Covid back hitting hard in Texas I’m probably not missing out on a bunch of face to face appointments with agents- so we shall see. 
Pretty blessed to be able to do this and I recognize it. I really wanted to strangle the kids today though. Fucking ingrates are wearing on my nerves a bit. Constant fighting and dumbassery. Kids are the worst. Adhd 8 year old not on his meds and  a feral 5 year old are tough to wrangle sometimes. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I went when I was 13 and liked it. We are probably doing the whole south east as far as Washington DC next January- April or so of 2021 so will go to Carolinas and Virginia again then and probably do colonial Williamsburg.  If I don’t run out of money and business still goes ok.

Speaking of which- if anyone wants to refi their home I’ve got 2.8 for a rate no fees- hit me up!  Business is stupid good right now but refinancing everyone in the world isn’t particularly sustainable. I guess with Covid back hitting hard in Texas I’m probably not missing out on a bunch of face to face appointments with agents- so we shall see. 
Pretty blessed to be able to do this and I recognize it. I really wanted to strangle the kids today though. Fucking ingrates are wearing on my nerves a bit. Constant fighting and dumbassery. Kids are the worst. Adhd 8 year old not on his meds and  a feral 5 year old are tough to wrangle sometimes. 

Didn't know whether you had been.  As I said, I enjoyed it as a kid and I'd think a lot might.  A  15-year old golf prick, maybe not so much.

And, maybe it's turned into DisneyEpcot World O'Colonials 1776.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Haha 1