My families Great American Adventure

Wulaw Horn

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I just watched my 7 and 5 year old punch, kick, scream at each other and cuss each other for 25 solid minutes without lifting a finger. It was simultaneously amazing and terrible and funny as shit and sad. Then they reconciled and told each other they loved each other and forgave each other and cried for 15 more minutes while curled up in bed together. I think that gets me best parent of the year or worst of the year. Not sure which. First time I've ever taken that tact with them. Boondocking at the Walmart- what a world. 

image.thumb.png.6824ddbd5f4ed38d960784d30a2064a7.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davidg said:

Since you can’t pitch the sex tent in the WM parking lot,  do you just herd the old lady into the backseat of the truck and knock it out there?

That was what we did the last time we did this set up at Walmart, so... maybe if I’m lucky tonight? 
unfortunately someone pulled up and is sleeping in their Jeep next to us so maybe not. If that’s a problem though (and I imagine it would be) suppose I could talk her into moving the truck. Also, pissing in the parking lot makes it even better. The fact that all Walmart’s close at 8:30 in the time of Covid plays to my favor on this adventure. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

On 7/25/2020 at 7:57 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I just watched my 7 and 5 year old punch, kick, scream at each other and cuss each other for 25 solid minutes without lifting a finger. It was simultaneously amazing and terrible and funny as shit and sad. Then they reconciled and told each other they loved each other and forgave each other and cried for 15 more minutes while curled up in bed together. I think that gets me best parent of the year or worst of the year. Not sure which. First time I've ever taken that tact with them. Boondocking at the Walmart- what a world. 

This is amazing.

I would love to try what you are doing with my own 7 and 5 yo, but then I realize how hard the road trip I just finished with two adults in their upper 30s was and....nooooope.

This also on the heels of me leaving the house for an hour this afternoon to run an errand, getting a text from home 20 minutes after I leave that says the 7 and 5 yo are punching each other ...and when the 7 yo is asked the obligatory “think about what you did”, writes the 5 yo a note that says:

”I am not sorry”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

This is amazing.

I would love to try what you are doing with my own 7 and 5 yo, but then I realize how hard the road trip I just finished with two adults in their upper 30s was and....nooooope.

This also on the heels of me leaving the house for an hour this afternoon to run an errand, getting a text from home 20 minutes after I leave that says the 7 and 5 yo are punching each other ...and when the 7 yo is asked the obligatory “think about what you did”, writes the 5 yo a note that says:

”I am not sorry”.

My 5 year old daughter, as I’ve said before, is mean as shit. She’s never been sorry for a thing she’s done (we usually step in to stop a fight bc it’s ugly as shit) and she just gets pissed that she’s getting punished. 
but, after about 20 minutes and her screaming and crying I asked her brother if he was proud of himself and he said “no, I’m sorry whit”. She screamed at him “I don’t forgive you and I hate you and he started bawling and went in the other room. He’s a tender hearted little dude and he loves his sisters, so this was heart breaking for him. After I let him cry for a couple minutes and she heard him crying I said- well- that’s clearly what you wanted. You win, you crushed him, do you feel happy now. And she actually started crying herself and said she wasn’t happy and was sorry she hurt him. And that little monster never says she’s sorry unless forced to at gun point and then you can completely tell she doesn’t mean it. 
maybe you just didn’t give the 7 year old enough time to calm down.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Further update. Last night we boondocked at a church. It was miserably and oppressively hot. Like 78 degrees for a low outside with 90% humidity. Had it 88 degrees inside the RV when trying to sleep. Just awful. Short tempered and fighting. Where was this sweltering hellhole you ask? 
maine. Fucking Maine just outside kennenunkport has dealt the most miserable experience of the trip. We are now pushing way further north and east than we had planned. All the way to the coastal border in Canada to the town of Lubec Maine. 
Quick claim to fame for Lubec- according to my wife it’s the point in the United States closest time the continent of Africa. Which sounds counter intuitive but she read it on the internet so I’m sure it’s correct. Let’s just say if I run across anyone of African descent I will be stunned and surprised where we are going. We shall see. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Further update. Last night we boondocked at a church. It was miserably and oppressively hot. Like 78 degrees for a low outside with 90% humidity. Had it 88 degrees inside the RV when trying to sleep. Just awful. Short tempered and fighting. Where was this sweltering hellhole you ask? 
maine. Fucking Maine just outside kennenunkport has dealt the most miserable experience of the trip. We are now pushing way further north and east than we had planned. All the way to the coastal border in Canada to the town of Lubec Maine. 
Quick claim to fame for Lubec- according to my wife it’s the point in the United States closest time the continent of Africa. Which sounds counter intuitive but she read it on the internet so I’m sure it’s correct. Let’s just say if I run across anyone of African descent I will be stunned and surprised where we are going. We shall see. 

Check this place out while you're up there heard it's pretty cool:

SL79_003_004.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RPM said:

RV a/c units don't handle high humidity well. They have limited capacity even in the best conditions.

I've had RVs for 12 years, I've never had an issue with not being able to get the interior temp down into the 70s overnight, even in high humidity along the coast.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I saw a Bunk'ed episode once where the cheeky kids of Camp Kikiwaka got lost and ended up at Lubec Maine. That's all I got.

Depends on the size of the rv and the conditions. I've had them work fine in Texas during the summer and struggle in Missouri in the fall. You also have to factor in kids running in and out, cooking, Mr & Mrs Wulaw knocking one out in the back, etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I've had RVs for 12 years, I've never had an issue with not being able to get the interior temp down into the 70s overnight, even in high humidity along the coast.

My in-laws were State Farm adjusters who literally lived in motor coaches for years.  They always had heating issues in cold climates and cooling in high humidity areas.  Those were not cheap motor coaches either.  How many did you own for 12 years and what brand?

1 hour ago, BevoSwag said:

My in-laws were State Farm adjusters who literally lived in motor coaches for years.  They always had heating issues in cold climates and cooling in high humidity areas.  Those were not cheap motor coaches either.  How many did you own for 12 years and what brand?

A 26' Airstream for ten years, plenty of trips to the Texas coast through all seasons.  And now a 29' Primetime Avenger, also with several trips to the Texas coast under its belt.  15K BTU rooftop A/C units on both.  And zero issues cooling into the 70s at night, despite high humidity.  You might be right, it might be common, but I've never experienced it.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

That is my hell.  I can't sleep if it's 74 degrees.Me too. I’m a fatty. I like it a cool 68 degrees at night. Also, although I love Texas I hate the heat. Thought getting into yankee territory as quickly as possible would be just what the doctor ordered. Unfortunately it is hot everywhere we’ve been. Next year, taking the RV on a ferry to Greenland. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You aren't far from escape Wulaw.  I've been a couple of hours north of where you stayed last night for a week and I have another week to go.  It was "hot" one day here.  It got up to 86.  The house we are staying in doesn't have AC and doesn't need it.  If you really need to cool off, just jump in the ocean, the water out there will make your dick shrivel so much only Mrs Wulaw can help.

Keep the updates coming.

Lubec Maine. 68 degrees right now and falling. Boondocking of a trailhead at a state park, going to go for a home first light tomorrow then out on a 3 hour boat ride. I’d it goes how I think it will I will actually be cold (or at least cool) for the first time in line 5 or 6 months. I’m giddy on the way only fat kids and dogs get when there’s a nip in the air. 

• Haha 1

I was in Lubec last year, loved it. Had this paella at the little hotel in town. Not exactly the style I was used to but pretty damn good. When I bit into one of the scallops I had to stop for a second and I actually asked if they were scallops. Light years ahead of any I had had before. I commented about this to the guy next to me at the bar and he said "They should be fresh, I drug 'em out of the bay a few hours ago".

The Bay of Fundy is awesome, amazing tides. 25'+ in Lubec, and it goes from high to low in a couple hours. 02fd54281f7b705691894cdb6ebeb94b.jpgfe2b6e7bea52a4aa953c29d70dede4dd.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Lubec Maine. 68 degrees right now and falling. Boondocking of a trailhead at a state park, going to go for a home first light tomorrow then out on a 3 hour boat ride. I’d it goes how I think it will I will actually be cold (or at least cool) for the first time in line 5 or 6 months. 

Didn't turn out so well for Gilligan.  Pics of Ginger and Mary Ann plz.

• Hook 'Em 2

d33572eccba645120198bf6f8dc52a31.jpg
Picture from the second hike of the day- this one 3 miles. I’ve hiked 5 or 6 miles today and my feet and back are killing me (rough and rocky trails). It was beautiful. And I got a picture of my wife sunning herself that was basically a tit picture in her spandex- waiting to see if I have permission to post. Probably not- it’s all tits and face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

MY BIGGEST CONCERN by far on the Trailer I just bought was will the damn thing keep us cool at night.  If I am remembering correctly WuLaw's RV only has a single AC Unit? So it's going to struggle some, and humidity is always the anti-christ for air conditioners. I researched the hell out of this stuff. 

Here is the short version of what I found out if you are considering buying a trailer as far as cooling comfort.

I wanted an aluminum frame for rigidity and lack of expansion and contraction in humidity (the coast.) I wanted the newer Azdel siding, instead of the usual luann, the fact that luann was what has been used for years sort of blew my mind.  Luann is like the thickness of the shittiest cabinet drawer bottom you can imagine.  The Azdel Azdel Properties will not absorb humidity and thus is supposed to have fewer issues with separation of the fiberglass bonding.  It also has a significant advantage in insulation properties.  You have to have a 15K btu AC unit(s).  I don't even understand why they would sell you a standard 13.5K btu unit in Texas?  Unless you want to nickname your trailer "sweaty balls."

I learned a ton of other stuff about DC vs AC electricity, but for me being able to NOT sweat in the 100+ degree heat with high humidity was the key.  My trailer is only 28 feet long but it cools like a champ.  I love the ducted vents at night to direct air onto the bed.  That and a small fan for a little circulation make it awesome.  The coldest setting means you better have some covers.  Fall can't get here fast enough for me, as maybe I can then once again drive and fish the beach.

• Like 1

de69cc30c18a188ba871745e59380e43.jpg
Went on a sail boat near Acadia national park. The place is beautiful. Maine reminds me of a smaller version of Alaska- driving around here it feels familiar to my trip to Alaska only with hills instead of 20k foot mountains. 3 more days in Maine (maybe 2). Told the kids they could pick the next place we stop for a week, anywhere between Niagra falls and North Dakota (teddy Roosevelt national park)

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

de69cc30c18a188ba871745e59380e43.jpg
Went on a sail boat near Acadia national park. The place is beautiful. Maine reminds me of a smaller version of Alaska- driving around here it feels familiar to my trip to Alaska only with hills instead of 20k foot mountains. 3 more days in Maine (maybe 2). Told the kids they could pick the next place we stop for a week, anywhere between Niagra falls and North Dakota (teddy Roosevelt national park)

My parents had a small summer house in Spearfish, South Dakota after they retired for a few years. Not sure what your plans are but there is too much in that area to be missed. Black Hills, Deadwood,  Spearfish Canyon. There’s actually an incredible RV Park in downtown spearfish park, by a fish hatchery. It might be worth an overnight there to see everything in the area. Devils Tower. Of course a few hours away is Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Might be worth a google and some research if you’re in the area. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My parents had a small summer house in Spearfish, South Dakota after they retired for a few years. Not sure what your plans are but there is too much in that area to be missed. Black Hills, Deadwood,  Spearfish Canyon. There’s actually an incredible RV Park in downtown spearfish park, by a fish hatchery. It might be worth an overnight there to see everything in the area. Devils Tower. Of course a few hours away is Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Might be worth a google and some research if you’re in the area. 

In the oddities category, don't forget the Corn Palace in Mitchell and Wall Drug. I don't like shopping, so Wall Drug was a short stop, but it was an interesting slice of Americana. The Corn Palace is FREE, so stop along the way as you're heading west.

@Wulaw Horn What did your family think of The Great Expulsion? You were near Acadia National Park so did the children read about it? They know how far you all have traveled from Texas, so imagine leaving where you were in Maine and traveling w/o cars south to Louisiana!

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yep. Going to spend 2 weeks in South Dakota. Thanks for the suggestions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

In the oddities category, don't forget the Corn Palace in Mitchell and Wall Drug. I don't like shopping, so Wall Drug was a short stop, but it was an interesting slice of Americana. The Corn Palace is FREE, so stop along the way as you're heading west.

@Wulaw Horn What did your family think of The Great Expulsion? You were near Acadia National Park so did the children read about it? They know how far you all have traveled from Texas, so imagine leaving where you were in Maine and traveling w/o cars south to Louisiana!

We didn’t really talk about that. We’ve been focused mainly on geology and how this is all formed, and eco systems and stuff like that during this part of the trip. With a little geography mixed in.