My families Great American Adventure

Wulaw Horn

Also agree on Deadwood, although the area has grown a lot, it's still cool. A nice hike with some neat geology/features is near Sylvan Lake (not too far from Custer). We hiked all over that area and up Harney Peak. I think I have an old snapshot near the marker at the top.

Pity about NYC. First time I visited I was about 8 years old and it was fantastic. Statue of Liberty, Central Park, the museums, the shops, Wall Street, the eclectic neighborhoods. So much to see but it gave me something to think about during the interim as I was learning in school or reading literature and NYC history or landmarks were referenced prior to my next visit as a teen. I had my first bagel ever in NYC on that first trip. (this was before grocery stores in rural areas and chain places made them so much more common).

Even the bad stuff that sometimes happens on my travels, there is  always one good thing about everywhere I have ever visited.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Looks like Wulaw's tent activities have had a ripple effect on boondocking at Walmart.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/business/walmart-rv-overnight-parking/index.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Read that. Nodded my head in understanding. We don’t break into the camp chairs till after store is closed and never trash or dump it up, but I’m sure some do. 

Also, I’m probably spending close to $1000 a month at Walmart now bc they let me boondock it’s easiest to just buy all my stuff and groceries there. That’s not my typical go to for groceries and we wouldn’t shop there if we were t boondocking there. I’m sure it’s a win for them if the campers are not trashy. 
It’s also a different experience I’m sure, boondocking there when it’s open 24/7 as opposed to 7 am to 8:30 pm. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also, I’m probably spending close to $1000 a month at Walmart now bc they let me boondock it’s easiest to just buy all my stuff and groceries there. That’s not my typical go to for groceries and we wouldn’t shop there if we were t boondocking there. I’m sure it’s a win for them if the campers are not trashy. 
It’s also a different experience I’m sure, boondocking there when it’s open 24/7 as opposed to 7 am to 8:30 pm. 

Are you using a Walmart credit card? Besides the cash back, a pretty reliable paper trail if they ever give you any hassle. I'd get a Murphy credit card too. You should score a 10¢/gal discount easy. 

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Y’all are gonna love this. Low bridge and rv doesn’t go together. Pop a top. I am such an idiot. Missing lots of stuff on my roof with open holes in it

OH

SHIT!

Don't feel too bad, my BIL did the same thing with a tree limb pulling a camper he borrowed. Took the a/c clean off.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

c786f83dfec9707c02cca4e58ece91c3.jpg
So, yeah, 2 vents, antenna, Ac, ceiling caving in a little. 2 months at least, on the repair. Springfield Massachusetts is fine place to be holed up this time of year- right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Masshole

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

c786f83dfec9707c02cca4e58ece91c3.jpg
So, yeah, 2 vents, antenna, Ac, ceiling caving in a little. 2 months at least, on the repair. Springfield Massachusetts is fine place to be holed up this time of year- right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW,

Really sorry this happened to you, but the show must go on, right?

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Oh hell no. The adventure lives on. Now on extended stays where we were going. Fly back and pick it up when it’s done. 

What exactly does this mean? I assume you’re not hoteling it for the next two months. If you make the argument with insurance that it is your primary residence at the moment, will they pay to rent you another one while you’re out of commission. Props to you, I’m 110% certain we would have run back home with our tails tucked at this point.

Wow, that sucks but deciding to continue on is awesome.  Good luck!

Also, when you get back on the road, research some of the RV or trucking planning apps that will call out low bridges and such along your planned routes to prevent this happening again.  Might be worth checking into.

7 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Did the sex tent survive?  That's all that really matters.  

Yes. That’s in the back of the truck right now, along with a family size tent, some camp chairs, a cooler, dressers with kids clothes in them (shitty plastic kind with little drawers) and garbage bags fill of my clothes, dirty clothes and school supplies. 
And now a shredded tarp. 

I know you are hemorrhaging cash right now but I would try to find a truck accessory shop on your way that has a camper shell top that would fit your truck and buy it. Even used or wrong color would do, just something to keeps the crap in your truck bed dry and contained.

Indiana is the home to most of the manufacturers so you might find something in that area.

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yes. That’s in the back of the truck right now, along with a family size tent, some camp chairs, a cooler, dressers with kids clothes in them (shitty plastic kind with little drawers) and garbage bags fill of my clothes, dirty clothes and school supplies. 
And now a shredded tarp. 

Seriously sorry this happened, but your kiddos are learning so much from you and the missus about having a can-do attitude and that is priceless. I did see somewhere that the Sturgis Rally (August 7-16) is still going to occur in SD despite COVID, so maybe watch out for motorbikes as you're driving west. Always make me paranoid when I'm driving around them w/respect to blind spots.

And @dingleberryswitzer Sex Tent would be a great band name.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
addition

As alluded to earlier on this thread, another poster, his GF (at the time, now wife) and I did a road trip to the Rosebowl in 2009/2010 that was a hilarious disaster. A decade later we still talk about the amazing adventure, that had elements of yours. Less sex tents, but the RV broke down, we had to leave it in NM and get a rental van, and come back to get it when it was fixed, etc. If it would have gone smoothly it wouldn't have been as memorable. 

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And now a shredded tarp. 

Since you're confined to the truck now, you might want to consider stopping somewhere and getting a shell topper. They're relatively cheap, easy to install/remove, keep your shit dry and you can lock it.

51_V_Series_GMC-Canyon.jpg?itok=otd-OfQd

2 hours ago, davidg said:

I know you are hemorrhaging cash right now but I would try to find a truck accessory shop on your way that has a camper shell top that would fit your truck and buy it. Even used or wrong color would do, just something to keeps the crap in your truck bed dry and contained.

Indiana is the home to most of the manufacturers so you might find something in that area.

Exactly what I’m doing right now. No luck as of yet, but fingers crossed. 

I cant wait to see this as a movie or tv show. 

My ex BIL had a bucket truck with the electric company he had just started working for. We drove it to the store one night and didn't consider the extremely low railroad bridge near his house. It pushed the bucket arm back and busted all the hydraulic lines.

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Holy shit. I mean I somewhat expected something like this but wow. Props to you and thanks for entertaining us in this trying time.

As I’ve said before- some people’s lives need to serve as cautionary tales for everyone else. Glad to be of service. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1