Do You Know Anyone Personally Who Was Murdered or a Murderer?

Vic Mackey

Had a cousin who murdered his wife and her lover before turning the gun on himself in SW Houston some years back.

Community mourns after fatal shooting of Rosenberg teacher, football coach

A double-murder suicide case involving a Rosenberg high school coach and teacher was the talk of the community on Monday.
285-341201898Rosenberg_Victims_040411_6607440_ver1.0.
Rosenberg_Victims_040411
Author: KHOU Staff and KHOU.com (KHOU)
Published: 8:28 AM CDT April 5, 2011
Updated: 8:28 AM CDT April 5, 2011

ROSENBERG, Texas A double-murder suicide case involving a Rosenberg high school coach and teacher was the talk of the community on Monday.

George Ranch High School football coach Trevor White and teacher Destiny Pickett, were found dead Friday night at Regency Inn & Suites in Rosenberg. Pickett s estranged husband, Clifford, was also found deceased.

Edited by SHOOTER12

Friend of my brothers while in high school was raped by his step dad.  One morning before school, that happened.  Kid came home from school, got a gun, waited for the step dad to come home and killed him.  After a long legal battle, he lost because of the premeditation.  He got out about 10 years later and I ran into him in a HEB parking lot and he wasn’t the same person anymore. 

Ran into an older person I knew, not really friend, at 7/11 while in high school and asked me for a ride home.  Took him home and went about my day.  As it turns out, he had just robbed and murdered an old lady in a house in the subdivision behind the 7/11.  

I played baseball with this guys younger brother, but knew the killer well growing up. THe lady he killed worked at our place of business. He also killed her 11 and 3 year old daughter. Crime scene was trashed because his uncle worked for the SO. He was serving 87 years in Angola for another murder later on already when the trial happened.

https://www.ktbs.com/news/guilty-plea-in-east-texas-triple-murder-case/article_dce1b0db-1147-5e01-9cfb-351c11f3166f.html

I posted about it here or TOS. But a friend of mine had moved to Montana and was back with his wife visiting his in-laws. He was outside walking the dog one night and a guy walked up and put a gun to his head and killed him. Turns out he was obsessed with my friend’s wife. They caught him because he brought flowers to the house a few days later. Definitely had some screws loose.

Come to find out there was an affair. The whole thing was terrible. The funeral was awful: they had small kids and one on the way.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/man-gets-life-prison-murder-montana-man-cherokee-county/3gFkg5ksOW1gtIqmHSHaBP/

Shooter got life.

A second cousin and two of her friends were kidnapped while out at a Lake Hawkins in the late 80s. They were missing for around a week. I was at my grandma’s house when her sister called that they’d found her daughter’s body. It was Mother’s Day IIRC.

The killer has a Wikipedia page. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Walter_McFadden

Also went to HS with this guy. Rich kid (parents owned Farmer's Ice, which is all over NE Texas). Couldn't take it that this girl broke it off after dating briefly and murder/suicided them with a shotgun. I always thought he was a douche. 

http://www.mydeathspace.com/article/2006/09/22/Leslie_Lemons_(26)_was_killed_in_an_apparent_murder_suicide

Guy I grew up with, lived up the block, was part of our "neighborhood gang" we played football in HS. He wasn't one of my closest friends in HS but we did hang out together some. After HS he got into drugs and we drifted apart. He ended up marrying a lady that had little boy. They lived on a farm and the story I was told the little boy was on the tractor with his stepdad (my friend) he  fell off and the tractor rear wheel ran over the kid. My friend said it was an accident the jury said it wasn't.....he spent the next 26-27 years in prison. Saw him after he got out one time....we didn't have much to talk about anymore.....saw his obituary last year and his family had made a video in pictures of his life....I saw myself in a couple of the pics in the video.....sad deal all the way around 

Two come to mind
- kid in my grade in HS, his younger sister was murdered in a botched robbery at a nearby ice cream shop where she worked.

- Our family became close friends with a woman whose mother and step father were murdered by a prison trustee. He walked off the prison farm, killed them in their home, and then walked back to the farm and his alibi was he never left the farm, their daughter (who we met several years after all this happened) found the bodies when she came home from her after school job. 

I lived next door to Bernie Tiede in Hyde Park when he was out of prison. He had been living in an apartment behind Richard Linklater's house just down the street before then and then Linklater rented the house next to us for him. Nice guy in all my interactions with him. It was strange to think about but we were never worried. Just a weird Austin thing when those things had been disappearing.

Linklater also had a pig that would wander into our yard on occasion.

Just now, South Austin said:

I lived in North Carolina at the time and this made the news way out there. The story is still haunting.

It's getting a little dusty in here just thinking back on all of it, especially with my own 12yr old daughter.  I kept it in at the time, and was pretty stoic.  Whole city mourned them.  Boys2Men "So hard to say goodbye" was dedicated to them.  Year later I was @ Mo Ranch and the song came on.  I BROKE DOWN.  Had to extricate myself and go off in the woods.  I balled, and balled, and balled.  It was just so random.  So horrible.  So senseless.  The parents.  God help them to this day.  

• Like 6

Melissa Ledger\Northrup - Killed by Kenneth Wayne McDuff.  She and her family lived down the street from us.  Little thing.  She was a sweet kid too.  If any one was outside at my house she would always stop as she was walking past and visit for a bit.  I always kidded her about something - like a big brother -  and she always had the best girly giggly response.  Breaks my heart to this day.

The other side of the coin...

If I am wrong on the order of events, sue me.  A head washes up around the twin bridges in Waco.  Some time after that, Bosque County sheriff's department or local guy pulls over a vehicle for routine traffic stop.  As the officer was approaching the vehicle, driver caps himself.  The head belonged to an old lady.  A real estate agent had been after this old lady to sell her property to him.  She kept refusing.  So, obviously, he escalated the matter.  Anyway flashback to 1983, this same dude was the real estate agent for my folks when they sold their house.  I met the man on several occasions.  Marshall Carraway was his name.

2 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Melissa Ledger\Northrup - Killed by Kenneth Wayne McDuff.  She and her family lived down the street from us.  Little thing.  She was a sweet kid too.  If any one was outside at my house she would always stop as she was walking past and visit for a bit.  I always kidded her about something - like a big brother -  and she always had the best girly giggly response.  Breaks my heart to this day.

The other side of the coin...

If I am wrong on the order of events, sue me.  A head washes up around the twin bridges in Waco.  Some time after that, Bosque County sheriff's department or local guy pulls over a vehicle for routine traffic stop.  As the officer was approaching the vehicle, driver caps himself.  The head belonged to an old lady.  A real estate agent had been after this old lady to sell her property to him.  She kept refusing.  So, obviously, he escalated the matter.  Anyway flashback to 1983, this same dude was the real estate agent for my folks when they sold their house.  I met the man on several occasions.  Marshall Carraway was his name.

Dewd....that's nuts.

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

One of my aunts went to school with a Coral Eugene Watts victim...It was weird -- by the time she was 18 about five kids from her grade had died by murder or car crashes or whatever. I graduated with around 190-200 dudes (boys school) 32 years ago and only about five of us are dead now. Some of the living infest this site to this very day. 

Yes we do.

When I was a young lawyer, I saw a conflict check cross my desk with a familiar name (it was a unique name).  I walked into my supervisor's office and asked what the deal was -- he explained that we were responding to a subpoena to a psychiatrist's office, the DA was seeking records relating to the guy, because he'd snapped and taken a shotgun to two of his neighbors in the street.  Supervisor asks me why I'm interested, I tell him that we bought my wife's car from him a few months before.

And a friend of mine from college got mixed up in the drug scene up in N. Texas after graduation.  He also got mixed up with a dirty cop and his wife -- there was a whole scene going on there.  Well, one Friday night, he "committed suicide" by beating the everloving shit out of himself and leaving himself bleeding with massive head injuries on the floor.  Local cops -- same department -- called it a "suicide" and were done.  And that was that.

• Like 1

There was a kid a year older than me in school who, in 8th grade, raped and murdered a 6th grader's grandmother.  My last memory of those kids was playing football with both of them at lunch a few days before the murder.  The killer's dad had been murdered a year earlier. His sister dropped out in 6th grade to be a drug dealer. His youngest sister got her throat cut a few years later.  I had looked him up in the inmate database a few years ago and he was set to finally be released. He doesn't show up in the sex offender Db, so maybe he's dead.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I went to HS and knew Eliza really well.  I'm never going to get over what happened to those girls.  Never.

b93270566b5db374c1b9b2f7c7bc36164bbf1ead

If you don't want to answer, it's cool, and if I were you, I probably wouldn't have even looked into this stuff,  but I'm curious if you believe any of the conspiracy theories floating around out there about the murders.  There's some real batshit stuff, but also some more mundane stuff.

Unfortunately, I’ve known a few.

A family we were close to when I was a young kid had a son who was murdered. I’m not sure if the case was ever solved or not. He was shot in the head by someone driving by right outside his house.

A guy I worked with at Tom’s Ribs in SA. I worked there around 1988-1989 and Chris was a cook. He was the #2 for the kitchen. A few years after I left he was murdered by his girlfriend. She blamed it on a cat jumping on a gun.

And just a couple of years ago, a girl that had been the receptionist at our office was murdered. Her grandparents and 1 year old child were also murdered along with her by her estranged ex. He took himself out too.

http://polkenterprise.com/index.php/news/2378-five-dead-in-blanchard-ranch-murders

Almost forgot, another lady I had worked with at Cafe in the Square in San Marcos was murdered a few years after I had quit there. Amy was murdered by an estranged boyfriend, IIRC. He choked her to death from what I was told.

Woman who used to cut my hair when I was a kid murdered her husband at a night club in Missouri City.  She thought he was cheating on her, and one day, on her drive home, she passed this bar and saw his car there.  She walked in and saw him in a booth next to some chick, they exchanged words and he basically told her that yes, he was boning the girl he was there at the bar with.  She left and went to the house, got his .38, drove back to the bar and shot him in the head on the dance floor, dropped the gun and waited outside for the police to show.

My dad explained to me that it was ruled a crime of passion.  I don't remember exactly what her sentence was, but she was back to cutting hair within 2 years.  She's still working at that place to this day.

• Like 2

My HS girlfriends mother was murdered by her boyfriend. No one at school believed her at first and said she was lying for attention so none of them showed up for the funeral. When it came out it was real, all of her friends turned their back on her. We were 14 at the time and it astounded me how people could just abandon a good and innocent person. 

my wife’s cousin went to death row because SAPD said when he was 17 he killed his girlfriends entire family with a knife. They based that on the fact that a witness had seen him and gf have an argument the week before. This kid who was barley 140lbs was supposed to have killed a family of 7 including 3 large adult men with gang ties in a trailer, by hand without any injuries or blood. To this day his mother tearfully claims he was with her and family at her house during the murders. Personally, I don’t know weather he was innocent or not, but knowing what I know about SAPD I can safely say there there is a solid chance. 

2 minutes ago, Gooby said:

Woman who used to cut my hair when I was a kid murdered her husband at a night club in Missouri City.  She thought he was cheating on her, and one day, on her drive home, she passed this bar and saw his car there.  She walked in and saw him in a booth next to some chick, they exchanged words and he basically told her that yes, he was boning the girl he was there at the bar with.  She left and went to the house, got his .38, drove back to the bar and shot him in the head on the dance floor, dropped the gun and waited outside for the police to show.

My dad explained to me that it was ruled a crime of passion.  I don't remember exactly what her sentence was, but she was back to cutting hair within 2 years.  She's still working at that place to this day.

spacer.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you don't want to answer, it's cool, and if I were you, I probably wouldn't have even looked into this stuff,  but I'm curious if you believe any of the conspiracy theories floating around out there about the murders.  There's some real batshit stuff, but also some more mundane stuff.

I never really looked into any of the theories.  I feel horrible for the girls obviously, but more so for the families that have to both endure the event itself, but then decades of hearsay without any sense of closure.   

My HS girlfriends mother was murdered by her boyfriend. No one at school believed her at first and said she was lying for attention so none of them showed up for the funeral. When it came out it was real, all of her friends turned their back on her. We were 14 at the time and it astounded me how people could just abandon a good and innocent person.  

You murdered her mother?
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I played baseball with this guys younger brother, but knew the killer well growing up. THe lady he killed worked at our place of business. He also killed her 11 and 3 year old daughter. Crime scene was trashed because his uncle worked for the SO. He was serving 87 years in Angola for another murder later on already when the trial happened.

https://www.ktbs.com/news/guilty-plea-in-east-texas-triple-murder-case/article_dce1b0db-1147-5e01-9cfb-351c11f3166f.html

Insane that it’s been 28 years now. Still remember seeing the photos in the Citizen’s Journal and thinking how the fuck could someone kill a 3 year old. Crazy fucking world we live in.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I went to HS and knew Eliza really well.  I'm never going to get over what happened to those girls.  Never.

b93270566b5db374c1b9b2f7c7bc36164bbf1ead

Damn that's sad. I googled one of the names and they said they were apart of the Yogurt Shop Murders. Read about it. The people they thought did it got off for lack of evidence. Makes it even worse for their families.

Also  https://www.panews.com/2019/09/13/affidavit-kelli-sartin-admits-striking-father-tells-police-charles-sartin-killed-himself/

Kelli Sartin was in one of my classes in college.  She drove a dark blue Z28 and was a pretty fine piece of ass at the time.  Obviously, the years have not been kind.  And God dammit, Sartin's had THE BEST barbecued crab.  She should face hard labor just for fucking that up.

Edited by Gooby

Grew up around a guy who murdered a 66 yo lady in Vernon. He was a trusty in Lubbock. Escaped, drove to an old friend's house near Vernon. Friend wasn't there, but his mother was. Raped her, killed her, stole some stuff. He was arrested in Wichita Falls a day or two later, trying to pass a check of hers. He was convicted because his teeth matched a pattern bitten into her cheek during the rape. Put to death.
A few months ago, I had jury duty with his sister. During voir dire(sp), they asked if we knew anyone who'd been a victim or perpetrator of a violent crime. As luck would have it, they called on her. She broke down crying. Pretty rough.

11 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

can you tell the story?  Sorry, but you put it out there.

Sure. Need to touch on the backstory.

My uncle was the ex-husband of my mom's sister.  I'll call him "Uncle Mike".  When I was in elementary school, Uncle Mike would sometimes drop by the house unannounced.  He was divorced from my aunt at that time (I don't remember him when he was married to my aunt, so the divorce probably happened before I was born or soon after).  As a kid, I always thought he was a cool guy.  He literally looked, acted and talked like George Raft (1940s era).  Had jet-black hair that was parted and slicked straight back.  Wore dark suits.  Every time he would drop by, he would give me, my brother and sister a (real) silver dollar.  As a kid, I never knew what he did for a living or even where he lived.  I did know he didn't live in the town where I grew up.  That's probably why he would show up at the house from time to time unannounced because he happened to be in town.  

Uncle Mike seemed mysterious to me, my brother and sister because we didn't know what he did for a living, we didn't know where he lived, we didn't know why he and my aunt divorced, and we didn't know any background about him. Uncle Mike and my aunt didn't have any kids.  Both of my parents seemed tight-lipped about him, and they were open and honest to us about EVERYTHING gowning up.  Didn't know if they wanted to protect us from something or didn't want us to know.

Fast-forward to when I was about 25 years old.  I hadn't heard from or about Uncle Mike since the last time I saw him when I was a kid.  I had a job and was working in my hometown.  I was reading the morning paper and happened to see an article about an apartment manager and his girlfriend that were gunned down inside their apartment.  Reading the article, it named my Uncle Mike as the apartment manager that was killed!  WTF!!!  

Apparently, Uncle Mike lived in an apartment on the property where he managed it.  He and his girlfriend were in the living room watching TV together on the couch.  A gunman burst down the front door and sprayed my Uncle and his girlfriend with bullets, like with a machine gun.  The couch and wall were filled with bullets.  Apparently, it was a nasty, bloody scene.  The bodies were almost unrecognizable.  

I took the newspaper and drove over to my mom's house (my father and my aunt (Uncle Mike's ex-wife) had passed away by that time).  I showed the article to my mom and she read it.  I told her, "ok mom...now you need to explain what's the deal with Uncle Mike".  She read the article and had a cold look in her eye.  She wouldn't say a word.  She just had a blank stare.  I could tell she didn't want to talk about it, so I let it alone.  But I also showed my brother and sister the article.  They also tried to find out more from my mom, but couldn't.  

To this day, my Uncle Mike, his life and his death are still a mystery.  The police never found out who killed him or why.

Edited by Stella Link
  • Like 7

Our high school librarian, her husband, and one son were murdered by the other son. I didn't really know him but he was the proverbial quiet loner

Also a friend of mine in 3rd grade or so had 2 older sisters that were both murdered in separate incidents a year or so apart from each other.  I used to spend the night at his house, and he had a single good-looking mom who was rarely home. I was too young to figure it out but I'm sure there was something going on with all that.

Went to high school with this girl. Found out she was dancing while at a friend's bachelor party not long before this happened https://www.ksat.com/news/2017/01/18/death-of-dancer-found-bound-strangled-in-1996-unsolved/

23 minutes ago, Gooby said:

Also  https://www.panews.com/2019/09/13/affidavit-kelli-sartin-admits-striking-father-tells-police-charles-sartin-killed-himself/

Kelli Sartin was in one of my classes in college.  She drove a dark blue Z28 and was a pretty fine piece of ass at the time.  Obviously, the years have not been kind.  And God dammit, Sartin's had THE BEST barbecued crab.  She should face hard labor just for fucking that up.

Went to high school with her, but didn't know her well. She was a few grades ahead of me, and was absolutely a hottie. 

My uncle was murdered in West Texas back in the 70's.  He was 30 and had two young boys. The My mother was pregnant with me at the time.  His murder definitely colored the first few years of my life as the family grieved hard.  My grandparents, as you would expect, carried the weight with them their entire lives.  

• Like 1