Do You Know Anyone Personally Who Was Murdered or a Murderer?

Vic Mackey

I know 3 people who were murdered.

1. Majorie Nugent (mother of my dad’s pathology partner)—if you have seen the movie Bernie with Jack Black then you know the story.  I’ve known the Nugent family since I was a child.

In November 1996 Tiede killed Nugent by shooting her in the back four times with a .22 rifle. He then placed Nugent's body in a freezer used to store food at her Carthage home. According to the Amarillo Globe-News,Nugent's estranged son, Amarillo pathologistRod Nugent, traveled from Amarillo to Panola County nine months after her death, where he declared Nugent a missing person. After entering Marjorie's residence, Rod and his daughter found his mother's body in the freezer, wrapped in a white sheet.[12]

2. Charlotte Murray Pace—same sorority as me. Killed in Baton Rouge by serial killer Derrick Todd Lee in 2002. He died of  some heart issue a few years back. 2016 I think.

Lee was sentenced to life for one murder and to death for killing Charlotte Murray Pace, who was stabbed 81 times and bludgeoned with an iron in May 2002.

3. Jackie Hogue—murdered 1994 by her husband. Was a cold case until he was arrested after that Oxygen show “Cold Justice” helped provide a break in the case over a year ago. 

Jesse Hogue was arrested Thursday afternoon after detectives with the Pueblo County Sheriff's Office and federal marshals spotted the 73-year-old driving in the area of Platteville Boulevard and North Raymont Drive in Pueblo West. Law enforcement pulled him over, and Hogue was taken into custody without incident.

Hogue is accused of killing his wife, Jackie Hogue, 25 years ago in Bishop Hills, Texas, a town just northwest of Amarillo. The victim's teenage sons found her shot to death in her bed. Detectives said she had also been sexually assaulted. There was no sign of forced entry, and robbery was ruled out. CBS Amarillo reported in 2011 that the case had been reopened multiple times, but each time, investigators came up short.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Inquiring minds something, something.. what was your dads connection to ZZ?

Wrote the song Francine from Rio Grande Mud.

My father had a band called The Children and grew up with Billy Gibbons.  They used to play gigs together when ZZ was called Moving Sidewalks.

There's a lot more to the story, but I don't want to hijack the thread.  If you want more detail, pm me and I'll give you the 411 with some cool pics.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Stella Link said:

Sure. Need to touch on the backstory.

My uncle was the ex-husband of my mom's sister.  I'll call him "Uncle Mike".  When I was in elementary school, Uncle Mike would sometimes drop by the house unannounced.  He was divorced from my aunt at that time (I don't remember him when he was married to my aunt, so the divorce probably happened before I was born or soon after).  As a kid, I always thought he was a cool guy.  He literally looked, acted and talked like George Raft (1940s era).  Had jet-black hair that was parted and slicked straight back.  Wore dark suits.  Every time he would drop by, he would give me, my brother and sister a (real) silver dollar.  As a kid, I never knew what he did for a living or even where he lived.  I did know he didn't live in the town where I grew up.  That's probably why he would show up at the house from time to time unannounced because he happened to be in town.  

Uncle Mike seemed mysterious to me, my brother and sister because we didn't know what he did for a living, we didn't know where he lived, we didn't know why he and my aunt divorced, and we didn't know any background about him. Uncle Mike and my aunt didn't have any kids.  Both of my parents seemed tight-lipped about him, and they were open and honest to us about EVERYTHING gowning up.  Didn't know if they wanted to protect us from something or didn't want us to know.

Fast-forward to when I was about 25 years old.  I hadn't heard from or about Uncle Mike since the last time I saw him when I was a kid.  I had a job and was working in my hometown.  I was reading the morning paper and happened to see an article about an apartment manager and his girlfriend that were gunned down inside their apartment.  Reading the article, it named my Uncle Mike as the apartment manager that was killed!  WTF!!!  

Apparently, Uncle Mike lived in an apartment on the property where he managed it.  He and his girlfriend were in the living room watching TV together on the couch.  A gunman burst down the front door and sprayed my Uncle and his girlfriend with bullets, like with a machine gun.  The couch and wall were filled with bullets.  Apparently, it was a nasty, bloody scene.  The bodies were almost unrecognizable.  

I took the newspaper and drove over to my mom's house (my father and my aunt (Uncle Mike's ex-wife) had passed away by that time).  I showed the article to my mom and she read it.  I told her, "ok mom...now you need to explain what's the deal with Uncle Mike".  She read the article and had a cold look in her eye.  She wouldn't say a word.  She just had a blank stare.  I could tell she didn't want to talk about it, so I let it alone.  But I also showed my brother and sister the article.  They also tried to find out more from my mom, but couldn't.  

To this day, my Uncle Mike, his life and his death are still a mystery.  The police never found out who killed him or why.

Sounds like your mom might have been the perp.

17 minutes ago, Cajun said:

My father had a band called The Children and grew up with Billy Gibbons.  They used to play gigs together when ZZ was called Moving Sidewalks.

There's a lot more to the story, but I don't want to hijack the thread.  If you want more detail, pm me and I'll give you the 411 with some cool pics.

I think we could tolerate that kind of hijack.

• Like 1

Didn't read this whole thread but yes my uncle was murdered in Kaufman county when I was in high school over some heroin deal with the Aryan brotherhood. Never found the person and wouldn't be surprised if it was because he was a shit bag even by my standards. Texas rangers even got involved but went nowhere.

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Me too, I was there that night and a group of guys attacked me walking back to the border and one grabbed my by my jeans pocket and ripped the pocket off trying to drag me.  I was on the Rugby team and 3 guys on the team were 20 yards behind me and came up and chased them off.

Alright, brother, and so the #metoo #almostgotchoppedup #andboiledintoSanteriaStew movement was born, lol

• Haha 1

Never met him, but my BIL was shot dead outside an Oregon bar about 30 years ago. 

Four of my former students have been convicted of separate murders during armed robberies over the years. Each was sentenced to life. Two were destined for a life of crime, two were surprises.

HS friend was stabbed to death in New Orleans, word was it was a hate crime cause he was gay.  He didn't come out till college apparently.

A kid was killed in our county back 90 or 91. We had the same last name as the killer (we aren't named Smith or Jones).  The wife, and I started getting some nasty calls about what they were gonna do to him, and us if they ran into us. Turns out it was the murdered kids mom.  

Had to get the sheriff involved to spell it out to her we weren't even related, just a coincidence on the last name.

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Many here have seen and heard this, so apologies to them for the re-run.

Alright, my dad was Steve Perron.  He wrote Francine about a girl he had a crush on in Junior High (lyric - "Francine just turned thirteen, she's my angelic teenage queen...").  My understanding from other band members and my mom (dad died of an overdose when I was 6 yrs old) was that Bill Ham had inked Gibbons and the fellas to an album.  They wanted to release a 45 rpm from it and had a song in mind for the "A" side, but wanted a "B" side.  

My dad's guitarist, Kenny Cordray, had broken his arm in a motorcycle wipeout and The Children and ZZ (I think they were Moving Sidewalks at that moment) were supposed to play a gig together.  Dad told Billy that he needed a guitarist to stand in for Kenny and Billy answered the call.  Apparently, either Ham was there at that gig, or someone close who he trusted was, and the light bulb went off when The Children (with Gibbons on guitar) played Francine.  He told Billy to ask dad if they could record it for the new album.  Dad agreed, they recorded it, and it became the other side of that 45 rpm and the first gold single off the album, which I think makes it ZZTop's first gold single.  

Billy is on the liner notes as a writer as he added his own solo to the song, but the lyrics were written by Dad.  Cordray added all the rest of the guitar.  Here's a couple of pics starting with the song's first draft complete with coffee stains from Jim's Diner on Broadway and 410 in SA...

sc002422ad.jpg

Your dad ran in the same circles as mine...My dad managed Rocky Hill, Dusty's brother, circa 1978, back when Rocky was a fucking tornado of a guitar player...Rocky wrote lyrics similar to that. He had one verse that said something like "You look real funny baby, with my pistol in your mouth -- you may think you're goin' north, but your brains is goin' south."

And then he did have a few incidents in motel rooms with prostitutes, whiskey and cocaine, but it never got as far as that. 

Here's Rocky doing a Townes song from that era

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

@Carl Spackler

Many here have seen and heard this, so apologies to them for the re-run.

Alright, my dad was Steve Perron.  He wrote Francine about a girl he had a crush on in Junior High (lyric - "Francine just turned thirteen, she's my angelic teenage queen...").  My understanding from other band members and my mom (dad died of an overdose when I was 6 yrs old) was that Bill Ham had inked Gibbons and the fellas to an album.  They wanted to release a 45 rpm from it and had a song in mind for the "A" side, but wanted a "B" side.  

My dad's guitarist, Kenny Cordray, had broken his arm in a motorcycle wipeout and The Children and ZZ (I think they were Moving Sidewalks at that moment) were supposed to play a gig together.  Dad told Billy that he needed a guitarist to stand in for Kenny and Billy answered the call.  Apparently, either Ham was there at that gig, or someone close who he trusted was, and the light bulb went off when The Children (with Gibbons on guitar) played Francine.  He told Billy to ask dad if they could record it for the new album.  Dad agreed, they recorded it, and it became the other side of that 45 rpm and the first gold single off the album, which I think makes it ZZTop's first gold single.  

Billy is on the liner notes as a writer as he added his own solo to the song, but the lyrics were written by Dad.  Cordray added all the rest of the guitar.  Here's a couple of pics starting with the song's first draft complete with coffee stains from Jim's Diner on Broadway and 410 in SA...

sc002422ad.jpg

Hilarious how Billy G became Stevie P for their version...awesome stuff 

39 minutes ago, Deej said:

Woman I worked with had a daughter who helped kill her girlfriend and drove the body out to Bastrop to try and burn it.

wasted_cover-e1346980151200.jpg

I used to have a grocery bag full of those types of true-crime novels from the 90s.   All had the same type of cover as well.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I used to have a grocery bag full of those types of true-crime novels from the 90s.   All had the same type of cover as well.

Chick walked because she gave uo the guy involved with her in the murder. She should be serving life. 

Edited by Deej

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Interesting. That is my favorite ZZ Top song mainly because that is my mom's name. Met Billy Gibbons once. He was with Mariel Hemingway outside a bar in the Heights.

• Like 1

My exwife, we were married for a year together for 5 years. Didnt murder in the term "murder" but infected unknown amount of people with hep c. So some people probably died early cause of her actions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Years ago I worked at a company and there was this old guy who worked in the data center during the graveyard shift. Nothing really unusual about him other than the fact that he was old and walked with a limp.

Turned out he was a serial rapist and murderer during the 80's. I don't remember how the cops found him but he got busted for a cold case that happened in the early 1980's. Dude raped and strangled some woman with her own panty hose.

I was pretty freaked out by how a monster was able to blend in with the rest of humanity so easily.

12 hours ago, South Austin said:

I lived in North Carolina at the time and this made the news way out there. The story is still haunting.

I too was living in NC at the time and yeah, I heard about it way the fuck out in the sticks of Person County. 

24 minutes ago, F250 said:

Years ago I worked at a company and there was this old guy who worked in the data center during the graveyard shift. Nothing really unusual about him other than the fact that he was old and walked with a limp.

Turned out he was a serial rapist and murderer during the 80's. I don't remember how the cops found him but he got busted for a cold case that happened in the early 1980's. Dude raped and strangled some woman with her own panty hose.

I was pretty freaked out by how a monster was able to blend in with the rest of humanity so easily.

Started out thinking he was upset about losing his red stapler. Took a turn for the worse.

• Haha 1

Never met him, but my BIL was shot dead outside an Oregon bar about 30 years ago. 

Four of my former students have been convicted of separate murders during armed robberies over the years. Each was sentenced to life. Two were destined for a life of crime, two were surprises.

Did Socrates have better luck with their peers in his class?
  • Like 1

In the video?  If so that's probably Lou Cabaza, the keyboard player.

They called him the "Mexican Mozart".  Dude is a sevant.  Won a Grammy playing for Laura Branigan.

Him on the synthesizer here.  Skaters CHOICE!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ajax said:

This is a couple degrees of separation and I kind of blocked it out of my mind, but another family friend is the daughter of bestselling lesbian feminist fantasy author Marion Zimmer Bradley. Apparently she had a rough upbringing because her mother was a monster, which is saying something because her father was a convicted child molester. As bad as he was, her mother was far worse. It sounds like both her parents were devoted to molesting children.

Anyway, her parents were founders of this group that was dedicated to reenacting medieval culture called the Society of Creative Anachronism. Basically, a bunch of nerds who run around dressed up like knights and maidens.

And at one time, the Berkeley chapter of this group included in their membership Leonard Lake and Charles Ng.

What a collection of truly horrific people.

SCA may be and is a bunch of whackos, but they do a lot of the Renaissance Faires, which supposedly end with a lot of swangin after the sun goes down.

31 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Friend of mine growing up killed a dude in a drug deal gone bad in the early 2000. He got paroled 3 or 4 years ago. Married with a kid and is doing well. 

And over here we’ve got Whoa, differences!

Damn you all have some stories. I grew up in NC and was a teenager when the Yogurt Shop Murders happened and today was the first time I've read about it. Absolutely chilling. There are seriously some evil people in the world.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

Cousin got in a fight with an ex of the woman he was having relations with and ex put him in a choke hold, he passed out and never regained consciousness.  Charge was dropped from 2nd degree felony manslaughter to negligent homicide, guy did 4 months.  Shitty deal for everyone involved.  

This piece of shit a year behind me in high school robbed, killed, and raped (in that order) an old woman in Lubbock 3-4 years after I got out of high school. I used to buy weed from his older brother and didn’t really know the fucktard, but remember he and one of his loser friends getting pinched when we were kids for trying to force open the change box of a PacMan in a laundromat with a screwdriver. The State of Texas ended up turning his lights out...

Said fucktard

Edited by Ignatius

12 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Murdered his wife in front of his son

This guy was probably one of the smartest guys I knew but was just off.  He is a USNA grad that went USAF (that should tell you something right there).  He was one of my roommates for a part of plebe summer and was in my company for all 4 years.  

If you read the article above I would say he killed her because he thought she was going to take away his ability to go to school.  He fucking loved to learn and study.  That was his life.  

I remember that guy.  JFC.  Sick.

A guy that lived down the street from me was a total sociopath/psychopath whatever. Very high IQ but a very broken home. People's pets would go missing and you'd hear rumors that he killed them. Then he would brag about it later. He bullied a lot of us younger kids for a long time until one of us got really big in middle school and beat the shit out of him. 

Anyways fast forward to about 2010, and he finally goes to prison. He and another guy had dragged a gay guy from a party out in the country into the woods and beat him unconscious, then they stuffed him in a burn barrel, cut his throat with a beer bottle, and poured liquor or alcohol on him and lit him up. Dude survived but they got arrested for attempted murder with the hate crime bonus. SOME FUCKING HOW, this guy got released this last year. Now he's all over facebook doing this bullshit reformed bad guy trying to help out former prisoners land jobs and whatnot. It's all a fucking sham. Sociopath gonna sociopath. I can't even fathom how he conned his way into getting paroled. 

15 hours ago, Stella Link said:

Sure. Need to touch on the backstory.

My uncle was the ex-husband of my mom's sister.  I'll call him "Uncle Mike".  When I was in elementary school, Uncle Mike would sometimes drop by the house unannounced.  He was divorced from my aunt at that time (I don't remember him when he was married to my aunt, so the divorce probably happened before I was born or soon after).  As a kid, I always thought he was a cool guy.  He literally looked, acted and talked like George Raft (1940s era).  Had jet-black hair that was parted and slicked straight back.  Wore dark suits.  Every time he would drop by, he would give me, my brother and sister a (real) silver dollar.  As a kid, I never knew what he did for a living or even where he lived.  I did know he didn't live in the town where I grew up.  That's probably why he would show up at the house from time to time unannounced because he happened to be in town.  

Uncle Mike seemed mysterious to me, my brother and sister because we didn't know what he did for a living, we didn't know where he lived, we didn't know why he and my aunt divorced, and we didn't know any background about him. Uncle Mike and my aunt didn't have any kids.  Both of my parents seemed tight-lipped about him, and they were open and honest to us about EVERYTHING gowning up.  Didn't know if they wanted to protect us from something or didn't want us to know.

Fast-forward to when I was about 25 years old.  I hadn't heard from or about Uncle Mike since the last time I saw him when I was a kid.  I had a job and was working in my hometown.  I was reading the morning paper and happened to see an article about an apartment manager and his girlfriend that were gunned down inside their apartment.  Reading the article, it named my Uncle Mike as the apartment manager that was killed!  WTF!!!  

Apparently, Uncle Mike lived in an apartment on the property where he managed it.  He and his girlfriend were in the living room watching TV together on the couch.  A gunman burst down the front door and sprayed my Uncle and his girlfriend with bullets, like with a machine gun.  The couch and wall were filled with bullets.  Apparently, it was a nasty, bloody scene.  The bodies were almost unrecognizable.  

I took the newspaper and drove over to my mom's house (my father and my aunt (Uncle Mike's ex-wife) had passed away by that time).  I showed the article to my mom and she read it.  I told her, "ok mom...now you need to explain what's the deal with Uncle Mike".  She read the article and had a cold look in her eye.  She wouldn't say a word.  She just had a blank stare.  I could tell she didn't want to talk about it, so I let it alone.  But I also showed my brother and sister the article.  They also tried to find out more from my mom, but couldn't.  

To this day, my Uncle Mike, his life and his death are still a mystery.  The police never found out who killed him or why.

Sounds like a creepy episode of Unsolved Mysteries. Most people do not get murdered for no reason at all and especially not get plastered with bullets in that matter. He was almost certain to be involved in something. Sounds like a scene out of a gangster movie. Did you ever try to dig into the guy after this incident and see if anything came to light? 

I'm surprised that there have been no connections with the murder of Tiffani Ann Bruce:  https://apnews.com/3e12cd4812f3fc388dc400d99ac9f679

I was at Southwest Texas at the time and the guys next door to me in the dorm were friends with Matthew Novanty back in Humble.  After the murder and before fleeing to LA, Novanty went on a spending spree around Austin.  I can't remember everything that was bought, but the one of the next door neighbors ended up with a black leather jacket.  The other was really shaken up because Novanty had told him the story of killing Bruce and that it was solely because he wanted to watch another person die.  

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Sounds like a creepy episode of Unsolved Mysteries. Most people do not get murdered for no reason at all and especially not get plastered with bullets in that matter. He was almost certain to be involved in something. Sounds like a scene out of a gangster movie. Did you ever try to dig into the guy after this incident and see if anything came to light? 

All I know is his body was cremated and the ashes were buried per his will.  I have seen his grave.  The funeral home told me he had prearranged last wishes and arrangements that were carried out by the state.  Have no idea what happened to his estate or if he had one.  I did follow up with the police about 5 years later to see if they had found the killer, but they hadn't.  They wouldn't release any other information other than the immediate facts in the case.  I assume that was because the case wasn't closed.  My brother, sister and I also believe he was tied up with the mob in some way.  I think my parents, and especially my mom, might have been embarrassed about my Uncle and what he might have been involved with.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

This guy didn't succeed but not for lack of trying when he set fire to a home where his targets were sleeping

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Law-student-charged-with-arson-attempted-murder-5704818.php

He was my intern to whom I was teaching criminal law when he did this and was arrested, lol

Would you say the student became the master?

• Like 1

Never knew either of them, but my wife's grandfather shot & killer her grandmother when my wife was about 8 years old. Her mother testified against her own father (wife's grandfather) at his murder trial. I think he did about 20 years in Huntsville, and died alone in some shack somewhere in east Texas. My wife never had any contact with him & only vaguely remembers him. He died shortly after we were married (in 2002) & it turned out my wife & her two siblings were to inherit a decent amount of money from him, about $20k each. The 3 of them were all repulsed at the thought of taking anything from him, but their mother convinced them they needed to accept it & to think of it as a gift from their grandmother. 

14 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

HS friend was stabbed to death in New Orleans, word was it was a hate crime cause he was gay.  He didn't come out till college apparently.

A kid was killed in our county back 90 or 91. We had the same last name as the killer (we aren't named Smith or Jones).  The wife, and I started getting some nasty calls about what they were gonna do to him, and us if they ran into us. Turns out it was the murdered kids mom.  

Had to get the sheriff involved to spell it out to her we weren't even related, just a coincidence on the last name.

Sheriffs are wicked smaht that way.

She was born for the job.

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

SCA may be and is a bunch of whackos, but they do a lot of the Renaissance Faires, which supposedly end with a lot of swangin after the sun goes down.

Sure I've been to a few Renaissance Faires and they're fun but Renfaire folk aren't like cosplay people. They're not nearly as attractive.

My main point was about Leonard Lake and Charles Ng. These two monsters kidnapped entire families, raped the women, and tortured and killed them. Some of them were infants and some of the women died during the rape. Just horrific. It made me physically ill to read that article.

Growing up in the Austin area I know several. A recent one is the Austin bombing victim,  Stephan House. I also knew his brother Cory who was stabbed to death in Austin in mid-90’s. 

Yep, I knew him from Pville High School. Still crazy what happened.

A few years ago my son had a job at a pizzeria in Bellaire. He and one of his old buddies from junior high would sort of trade the job -- when one of them would quit, the other would take the gig. They'd gone to school together for about six years and were LAX-bros together at Bellaire...My son thankfully did not have the gig when this happened.

Mielke was shot 15 times and died almost instantly on Feb. 21, 2016. Taylor came into the pizza shop a few minutes before closing time, demanding money from Mielke, who did not have access to the register. Taylor then shot him several times, left and returned to shoot him again.

“He said (he shot Mielke) because he didn’t give him the money,” Tarrell Taylor testified. “He said if he had given him the money, then he still would have killed him.”

Makes me sick just pondering it....My kid's mom wanted to move back to England, where's she's from, over this and I told her, "Fuck it, just go...I'll come visit our daughter as much as possible."

The killer should not have been on the streets and there are a shit-ton of aspects to this case that would nudge it towards CR so I'll shut up, but I am grateful my son is still alive.