Do You Know Anyone Personally Who Was Murdered or a Murderer?

Vic Mackey

Yep I used to know a physician named Ruth MarDock. She was a really sweet lady and cared deeply about her psych patients. She was at Timberlawn and had to tell a patient they were transferring him to a different facility. He didn't like that so he grabbed her and slammed her to the ground. Died a few days later. I still think about her every time I take the deep ellum exit to eastbound I-30. That place was a ticking time bomb.

Her dad has an interesting story. Son of Chinese immigrants, UT chemistry grad, WW2 pilot. Never met the guy but she had some wild stories about him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My Great Grandad shot his neighbor on their front porch back in the 1930's. Dude was apparently a drunk and would get pretty aggressive, and being that my grandad had my grandma (then around 4 years old) and 3 other kids, he told him one time that if he ever came back to their house he would shoot him. He apparently came back. Didn't get arrested or charged with anything since he was on his property without permission. I also have the shotgun he used which I think is pretty cool.

• Hook 'Em 1

Never met the man but my great grandfather was a LEO who arrested Miran Thompson and missed his gun during the search. Thompson shot and murdered him. Thompson was sent to Alcatraz and was one of the 5 inmates responsible for the battle of alcatraz.

Many moons ago I was a prosecutor. I dealt with countless murders in that capacity. 

My sister's close friend was responsible for a murder for hire of her parents back when i was in middle school (they were in high school). Her friend and associates sought the inheritance. Didn't turn out so well for anyone. 

• 5 months later...

Sometime in the 90s, my wife's cousin was carjacked. The carjackers couldn't drive a manual, so they shot her cousin to death. They were caught and convicted. Her uncle goes to every parole board hearing to try and keep them locked up for good. 

One of my best high school buddies. Starting QB, married the head cheerleader etc. etc. Sweetest guy ever.
He was a musician and worked part time at a used car lot to make extra bucks.
Brutal and senseless.

On Dec. 6, Smith and Ables left a local car lot in a black 2001 BMW. Following him in his mother’s Ford Taurus was Charlotte Nioche Davis, 18. In the back seat of the Taurus were her 12-year-old brother and Smith’s 2-year-old sister. “He had him traveling around under the guise he was going to show the car to somebody,” Haltom said of Smith’s actions shortly before he shot Ables in rural Arkansas. “He shot him in the head and then kicked him into a ditch. He was still moving around, so he shot him two more times.”
Davis told police Smith motioned the 12-year-old to join him before Ables was shot, according to court documents.

After shooting him once in the head, Smith kicked Ables’ body into a deep ditch and lost his shoe in the process, Haltom said. Smith sent the 12-year-old down the slope to recover his shoe. When Ables began to move slightly, Haltom says Smith shot him two more times. According to witnesses who told police Smith had confided in them about the killing, Smith told them Ables had told him he could take the car and that he didn’t have to shoot him with the chrome colored .357 magnum he carried. “It’s a Beamer,” was the response Smith told others he gave to Ables seconds before ending the man’s life.

Davis pleaded guilty to being an accomplice to murder on Oct. 3. In exchange for her testimony in Smith’s trial Haltom agreed to recommend a sentence of 20 years. She will appear Monday morning before Griffin to be formally sentenced. Smith was not eligible to receive the death penalty because he was just 17 when he shot Ables. Miller County Chief Prosecutor Brent Haltom told the Ables family that Smith’s right to appeal the conviction is heavily restricted because he chose to plead guilty. Pleading guilty to first degree rather than capital murder does not mean Smith has the opportunity for parole. “Life in prison and life without parole are exactly the same sentence in Arkansas,” Haltom said. The only way Smith will ever live as a free man again is if an Arkansas Governor commutes his sentence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

I played baseball at Voss West with R.J. Wilkerson.

Malibu Grand Prix Murders

I had also worked at this same Malibu Grand Prix until I left for summer school in Austin the year before. 

Shit I'm old enough to remember that. I'd completely forgotten about it but growing up in Houston that was huge news at the time.

2 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

I played baseball at Voss West with R.J. Wilkerson.

Malibu Grand Prix Murders

I had also worked at this same Malibu Grand Prix until I left for summer school in Austin the year before. 

Last statement: This execution is not justice. This execution is an act of revenge! If this is justice, then justice is blind.

Not to make light, but that's pretty easy to make light.

Yes. A co-worker's husband was convicted of murder. I was close to the co-worker, and I had met the husband a few times on couple's dates and work events. I cannot believe the case already has not made Dateline - it definitely is "Keith worthy."

10 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Yes. A co-worker's husband was convicted of murder. I was close to the co-worker, and I had met the husband a few times on couple's dates and work events. I cannot believe the case already has not made Dateline - it definitely is "Keith worthy."

Same, except my co-worker killed his live-in girlfriend for reasons unknown. We all assume she broke up with him in the course of an argument and he freaked out and killed her. Or maybe she was seeing someone else, or told him what a giant fucking loser he was.....Guy was an emotionally stunted 30something who couldn't cope with big feelings I guess. I've always been amazed that he didn't kill himself that night as well. 

My youth soccer coach was killed. Got out of his truck with a baseball bat, the other guy got out of his car with a gun. I don't think he was even 25 years old yet.

Former student ran over a kid who was walking across the street. Not sure if she served a day in jail.

A guy I went to high school with got impatient behind a school bus and went around it.  He ran over and killed a kid trying to get to the bus.  The kid was the son of a teacher that taught at our school and the guy was in one of her classes.  She didn't return.  He did not go to jail either.  I didn't know him really well, but he never looked the same after that.  I don't know if the way I looked at him change or the guilt he carried physically changed the way looked.

Edited by Hate

15 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

https://www.denverpost.com/2010/02/24/hospital-tech-who-spread-hep-c-via-drug-thefts-gets-30-years/

We split in 2005. Last i ever saw her was day we signed our divorce papers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That’s a wild ass story. 

I’m amazed that, as a tech, she was able to get her hands on fentanyl for a daily basis for that long.

That’s a wild ass story. 

I’m amazed that, as a tech, she was able to get her hands on fentanyl for a daily basis for that long.
Yep. I found out when fbi called to ask questions. I felt bad for her, she has a great heart, deep down a good person but just has lots of demons.

52 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Yep. I found out when fbi called to ask questions. I felt bad for her, she has a great heart, deep down a good person but just has lots of demons.

Mhm.  So you gave her hep c bailed on her and moved to Texas?  Are the feds still tailing you?

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 10:11 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Someone here has to know Dror Goldberg.  The rich Jewish kid who killed that woman and stabbed others at the Wig Shop at the Randalls shopping center near West U on Weslayan and Bissonett back in the late 90s?  He then went on the lam for a year in Israel.  Trial was pretty spectacular between Deguerin and Siegler.  He would have gotten away with it but for an eyewitness writing down his license plate after buying pet food at Petco.

Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

Mhm.  So you gave her hep c bailed on her and moved to Texas?  Are the feds still tailing you?
We split in 2005. She got hep c in 2008. I got called when they arrested her in 2009. They made a federal law regarding requirements/drug testing for surgical techs after that. Really felt bad for her son she had in 2008. Believed he had methadone in his system.

I was six years old when our next door neighbor’s adult son, and his girlfriend, were both murdered at the family’s lake house.  Robbery gone wrong.
In fifth grade at Harry Withers elementary,  a girl I was sweet on stepped In front of her mom and took a bullet, during a domestic dispute. She survived.
I hope the father never got out of jail.

We grew up very close to each other.

I was in second grade when my first grade teacher’s husband shot and killed their teenage son and then turned the gun on himself. I knew the kid, a girl down the street used to babysit me and her her older brother and his friends would often be around. The kid was a star football player and well known, apparently he raised a bit of hell but nothing extreme for a high school kid.

This was a long time ago in a pretty tight knit town.  In public, people told the story that the dad was cleaning his gun and accidentally shot the son, then shot himself out of guilt. I was much older when my father told me what really happened.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/8/2020 at 3:10 PM, BayouBill said:

My Great Grandad shot his neighbor on their front porch back in the 1930's. Dude was apparently a drunk and would get pretty aggressive, and being that my grandad had my grandma (then around 4 years old) and 3 other kids, he told him one time that if he ever came back to their house he would shoot him. He apparently came back. Didn't get arrested or charged with anything since he was on his property without permission. I also have the shotgun he used which I think is pretty cool.

Am I the only one thinking that you need to put a notch on that gun?  Kinda kidding, kinda not.

• Haha 1

I think I already replied to this thread earlier -- given my line of work as a forensic psychologist, I've met many murderers. It's always interesting to get to know the people behind the rap sheet. I've yet to meet a person charged or convicted of murder who matches up perfectly with the kind of person described in the news articles about the crimes. Sometimes in a good way, sometimes not.

But I've only known two people who were murdered. One was one of the girls murdered at the yogurt shop in Austin in 1991. The other was a man I got to know in Cape Town, South Africa with whom I was working on a gardening project. A few days later, a drunk guy stabbed him to death as he was walking home. Neither make any sense. Totally random, senseless deaths. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

My mother's cousin was brutally murdered a couple years ago.  Apparently the murderer conned him into letting him stay in his condo for a while before tying him up and killing him w/ a samurai sword.

A man wanted as the prime suspect in the mutilation murder of a 77-year-old Miami Beach man was being held in New York City on Monday after a scuffle with a transit officer, Miami Beach police said Monday.

Nicholas Brent Gibson, a 32-year-old convicted sex offender, was wanted for the murder last month of Erik Stocker, 77. Police have released few details about the crime, but said Stocker’s body was in his apartment at 1508 Michigan Avenue for at least 10 days before neighbors notified police of a bad odor.

A source familiar with the investigation said it was an unusually gory scene and that Stocker was killed by some type of sword.

When asked if he killed Stocker, Gibson replied "with my bare hands." When he was asked if he used a sword, Gibson said "yes, a big one."

Neighbors told us that a samurai sword might have been involved and there might have been writing on a wall in blood.

Not his first time, apparently:

“Mr. Gibson also made additional statement about his involvement in six other murders doing earlier times in his life,” the statement read. “He said these occurred in Florida, Georgia and California.”

Edited by Mittens

On 3/31/2021 at 4:56 PM, Kyle said:

So basically you were part of a deadly love-triangle

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A good friend of mine from high school was murdered less than 2 years after we graduated.  She had just broken up with her boyfriend, who apparently had been very controlling and abusive.  He went to her work, shot her in the face, then shot himself in the head.  The saddest part, the murderer was the older brother of another girl who I graduated with and knew well since 6th grade.  They were good friends as well, and she introduced the couple.  

A few years ago one of my neighbors was murdered (stabbed to death).

A little background:

We live out in what used to be the country in Austin, so when I say neighbor, he lived a few hundred yards away and we went months without seeing him.  Nevertheless, "Jim" would come by back when we were building our house and would chat sometimes.  Back in 2008 we put up a fence and security gate on our property to protect my toddlers from the roaming pit bulls that another neighbor had turned into pets following their retirement from dog fighting in the dog fight ring that my "other neighbors" had.

The "other neighbors" are a story unto themselves and I posted up about them on the other site back in 2014.

Back to the story.  So Jim did not come around anymore after we got the fence up, but we did see him from time to time down at the convenience store up the street.  Jim lived in an old platted subdivision with 12 lots.  This subdivision sat behind a Montessori School and there was always bad blood between Jim and the school.  Nothing serious, just traffic stuff since they shared a drive.  Things got a little more heated when the school purchased all the remaining lots in the old subdivision and expanded all around old Jim.

Jim was very late middle aged and had never married or had kids and his dreams of retiring to the country in peace were shattered by the sound of hundreds of kids.  My kids eventually attended the school by Jim and we would sometimes see him in his yard when picking up the kids and we would say hi, but he was not as friendly as he used to be.  He would try to bend our ear about the issues he had with the school.

Eventually we ended up in public school and had not sen Jim in years, but would hear about him from the school since we were neighbors with the school as well.

Jim was some kind of public defender for juvenile boys, some of which would end up "at his place" for "legal consultations".  On the day he was murdered, one such juvenile was at his place and I guess hings got out of control and the young man stabbed Jim to death and fled the scene.  There were choppers and cops all over the place looking for the guy.  I'm not sure where they found him, but they did.  I'm not sure what actually happened and most of the days events are just what I heard from the Montessori people.

More on the "other neighbors":  A collection of alcoholics and multiple generations living in trailers that had meth labs, underage prostitution, dog fighting, cock fighting, and gun play.  Most of them have died off and things are quiet now.

Last year there was another meth lab that was busted on the street behind us.  Also had choppers and cops everywhere with some flash bangs and other assorted cop excitement.

The funny thing is that these are holdovers from days gone by as the neighborhood changes over to million dollar homes and new commercial businesses.  It really is a nice place to live.

On 4/2/2021 at 1:01 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

I was in second grade when my first grade teacher’s husband shot and killed their teenage son and then turned the gun on himself. I knew the kid, a girl down the street used to babysit me and her her older brother and his friends would often be around. The kid was a star football player and well known, apparently he raised a bit of hell but nothing extreme for a high school kid.

This was a long time ago in a pretty tight knit town.  In public, people told the story that the dad was cleaning his gun and accidentally shot the son, then shot himself out of guilt. I was much older when my father told me what really happened.

So what really happened? Just that it was not an accident or was there more to the story?

3 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

A little background:

We live out in what used to be the country in Austin, so when I say neighbor, he lived a few hundred yards away and we went months without seeing him.  Nevertheless, "Jim" would come by back when we were building our house and would chat sometimes.  Back in 2008 we put up a fence and security gate on our property to protect my toddlers from the roaming pit bulls that another neighbor had turned into pets following their retirement from dog fighting in the dog fight ring that my "other neighbors" had.

The "other neighbors" are a story unto themselves and I posted up about them on the other site back in 2014.

Back to the story.  So Jim did not come around anymore after we got the fence up, but we did see him from time to time down at the convenience store up the street.  Jim lived in an old platted subdivision with 12 lots.  This subdivision sat behind a Montessori School and there was always bad blood between Jim and the school.  Nothing serious, just traffic stuff since they shared a drive.  Things got a little more heated when the school purchased all the remaining lots in the old subdivision and expanded all around old Jim.

Jim was very late middle aged and had never married or had kids and his dreams of retiring to the country in peace were shattered by the sound of hundreds of kids.  My kids eventually attended the school by Jim and we would sometimes see him in his yard when picking up the kids and we would say hi, but he was not as friendly as he used to be.  He would try to bend our ear about the issues he had with the school.

Eventually we ended up in public school and had not sen Jim in years, but would hear about him from the school since we were neighbors with the school as well.

Jim was some kind of public defender for juvenile boys, some of which would end up "at his place" for "legal consultations".  On the day he was murdered, one such juvenile was at his place and I guess hings got out of control and the young man stabbed Jim to death and fled the scene.  There were choppers and cops all over the place looking for the guy.  I'm not sure where they found him, but they did.  I'm not sure what actually happened and most of the days events are just what I heard from the Montessori people.

More on the "other neighbors":  A collection of alcoholics and multiple generations living in trailers that had meth labs, underage prostitution, dog fighting, cock fighting, and gun play.  Most of them have died off and things are quiet now.

Last year there was another meth lab that was busted on the street behind us.  Also had choppers and cops everywhere with some flash bangs and other assorted cop excitement.

The funny thing is that these are holdovers from days gone by as the neighborhood changes over to million dollar homes and new commercial businesses.  It really is a nice place to live.

Haha I know pretty much where you live.  I used to frequent Buddy’s too.  

4 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

A little background:

I'm no detective but it sounds like Jim liked him some troubled young boys and one of them wouldn't play along 

• Like 1

Guy I was in the shit with was living off the grid in the mountains with his daughter post retirement. Dude’s daughter was kidnapped and held for ransom by a Latin American despot wanting the guy to overthrow and install him as dictator of a small island nation. A couple of cronies accompanied him to the airport to fly to the island nation, one of them was kind of funny so the guy told him that he liked him and was going to kill him last. On the flight he broke one of the dude’s necks and covered him with a blanket. After jumping out of the landing gear while the plane was taking off, he tracked the funny guy down at a shopping mall and carjacked Tommy Chong’s daughter to follow him. He caught up to him and when the funny guy reminded him that he said he liked him and would kill him last, he said “I lied” and dropped him off of a fucking cliff. Not too long after that he impaled a green beret on a piece of furniture. About a day later he made it to the island nation and killed an entire army of Latin American soldiers, along with a special forces guy who looked like a fat Freddy Mercury.

Wound up rescuing his kid and banged Tommy Chong’s daughter in her prime, so everything worked out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

If any of yall remember Gumbos restaurants, I was a waiter there when it first started up. Became close with Yoli and Mo, and I still use cooking skills he taught me to this day.

Became very successful but one day the owner and his wife perished in a murder suicide. 

https://www.statesman.com/article/20110224/NEWS/302249727

2 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

If any of yall remember Gumbos restaurants, I was a waiter there when it first started up. Became close with Yoli and Mo, and I still use cooking skills he taught me to this day.

Became very successful but one day the owner and his wife perished in a murder suicide. 

https://www.statesman.com/article/20110224/NEWS/302249727

Damn I loved that place downtown.  There was nothing better than waiting for your table over at the Brown Bar and then ordering the filet for dinner. The chocolate custard dessert was one of the best desserts I've ever had.

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

Damn I loved that place downtown.  There was nothing better than waiting for your table over at the Brown Bar and then ordering the filet for dinner. The chocolate custard dessert was one of the best desserts I've ever had.

Mo's bread pudding is easily the best I've ever tasted. I compare all Cajun/creole dishes to his. Incredible chef.

21 minutes ago, Hate said:

IIRC, different ownership groups in most of those Gumbo's stores.  Some sort of debris that resulted from a Fired Up, Inc. transaction?

This is an attempted murder story but worthy of posting. 

One of my ex-wife's cousins "Ellen" was alone one morning, and while stepping out of the shower she saw a man in a ninja costume holding a big butcher knife standing in her bathroom. 

He attacked and raped her and stabbed/cut her many times, including the neck region. Somehow she survived and they later caught the guy. He had been living in her attic for a week and had slipped up there one day while the garage door was open. He had been listening to their conversations, and knew her husband would be gone that morning playing golf. 

He was caught on foot somewhere in their neighborhood I believe, and was a mentally ill man(obviously). This happened in Austin and was featured on the TV series I Survived. 

Edited by immortal13
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

One of my ex-wife's cousins "Ellen" was alone one morning, and while stepping out of the shower she saw a man in a ninja costume holding a big butcher knife standing in her bathroom. 
He attacked and raped her and stabbed/cut her many times, including the neck region. Somehow she survived and they later caught the guy. He had been living in her attic for a week and had slipped up there one day while the garage door was open. He had been listening to their conversations, and knew her husband would be gone that morning playing golf. 
He was caught on foot somewhere in their neighborhood I believe, and was a mentally ill man(obviously). This happened in Austin and was featured on the TV series I Survived. 
Holy shit that's crazy. It's one thing to break in and do that but a whole other thing to live in an attic for that long and planning it. Did that guy have any ties to the woman and husband?

57 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
11 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Holy shit that's crazy. It's one thing to break in and do that but a whole other thing to live in an attic for that long and planning it. Did that guy have any ties to the woman and husband?

Nope...just a random crazy guy

• Hook 'Em 1