The Snyder Cut! #itshappening

Parliament

On 3/19/2021 at 7:57 AM, bernorange said:

Was it better than the 2017 JL?  Yes, by a mile.

Was it a great movie by superhero movie standards?  Not really.  It was good enough which is much better than most DC superhero movies.

Did the expanded footage make the story more comprehensible?  Yes

Was The Flash still annoying as comic relief?  Yes

Could the movie have been shortened to 3 hours long if they got rid of all the gratuitous and distracting slow mo scenes?  Yes

Was the epilogue more interesting than the main movie?  Yes

I finally watched it. Overall, very positive. I am not a heavy consumer of the DC and Marvel Universes, but I enjoyed this one:

• Very simple storyline to follow, which is a positive given the magnitude of the problem (anti-life/Darkseid)
  • Well acted overall. 
  • This was in Snyder's wheelhouse. I know he is not popular with all (and I get the reasons why), but I appreciate his cinematographic style. 
  • Flash wasn't that annoying, but still a little too much jar jar binks (that feels like an industry problem).
  • Some of the slow mo was interesting (time slowing down . . . ). Some of the fight scenes (throw someone against the wall; get thrown against the wall) were repetitive and long (fast forward is a useful tool for those less interested in long fight scenes). 

Darkseid and the Anti-Life Equation may be the most intriguing parts of the comic book universes for me, so your mileage may vary. 

I would watch it again. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been sick the last few days so I thought I'd check out some DC films. There is something definitely off about them, maybe because they are just so different from the MCU, which is just so much better. I saw regular Justice League, I guess I'll check this one out eventually. But I do have a problem with Batman v. Superman. After all the buildup that Batman needs to kill Superman for some reason, he seriously changes his mind mid-battle when he finds out that their moms have the same name? They barely even explain the Lex Luthor blackmail. Seriously it felt as though all that changed was knowing their moms had the same last name. No speech about manipulation, nothing to help Batman better understand Superman's background and motives, just the name Martha, and all of a sudden Batman wants to be friends. I might have missed something, but goddamn that made no sense. 

Also, Superman's battles seem to always be in Metropolis and destroy tons of buildings presumably with people in them. In the grand scheme of topography, only a very small percentage of land contains skyscrapers. Superman leads an enemy to fucking space for some time, but couldn't lead him a few miles away from downtown to avoid mass destruction? If I recall the Battle of New York correctly from the MCU, Loki specifically targeted the city to terrorize a lot of people. The Superman villains were focused solely on defeating Superman. There's no reason it needed to happen in the city. Just weird things that make the movies seem really bizarre to me.

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Also, Superman's battles seem to always be in Metropolis and destroy tons of buildings presumably with people in them.

It's like when you watch those BBC murder mysteries that take place in small villages, and you do the math, and you realize that this one show is set in a village of 300 people, but that over the 5-year run of the show, approximately 430 people have died in that village.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally decided to give this a watch during my lunch breaks over the next few days.  This is awful.  Superman's scream hadn't even stopped echoing before I finished my curry.  Between that, the unnecessary Nordic singing ladies, and the unnecessary Lois Lane coffee opera, I'm not sure I'll even make it through this.