The Snyder Cut! #itshappening

Parliament

10 hours ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Have you tried Google TV? Hands down the best option. Having a remote that you can talk into with the best voice recognition out there is great, and since it has volume, power and input buttons which can all be IR or HDMI-CEC is a game changer. Plus the recommendations and the ability for it search all the apps without you opening them is awesome (like you can look up an actor/director or whatever and get all of the movies they are in). The fire sticks have always been slow and glitchy for me and the chromecast (even the max) was always kind of clunky because you had to use your phone or laptop since it didn’t really have a UI. 

No, I've got 2 Firestick 4Ks and they are much better than the original Firestick - much quicker and not glitchy at all.  Chromecast is built into 1 of my TVs and I've got the original Chromecast on the other.  So, I'm doing ok with what I've got and don't want to learn yet another new one (I'm old and crotchety and hate to learn new stuff, ha ha).  Will stick with what I've got until they break down.  Hoping I go first, then problem solved.

I think this movie shows that Leto would have been an awesome Joker, if WB hadn't decided to go the whole comedy-comedy MCU funny re-edit route they did with the Whedon cut and Suicide Squad.

Makes me wonder what the original dark Suicide Squad edit would have been like.

• Hook 'Em 1

Never saw the Whedon cut and don't plan to. I enjoyed the Snyder Cut quite a lot. I didn't bother with the JL after being disappointed in Batman V Superman. I wonder what status all the DC movies are at now. Seems only Wonder Woman and Aquaman have sequels greenlit. 

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

I wonder what status all the DC movies are at now. Seems only Wonder Woman and Aquaman have sequels greenlit. 

DC is going back to disconnected one-offs/whatever outside of WW and Aquaman, and those two maybe the last DCEU movies.   And they'll still make a shitload of money (Robert Pattinson's Batman will clear a billion easily).

Pattinson's Batman is not in the DCEU.  Suicide Squad/Harley Quinn are not crossing over into the DCEU in the future.  Black Adam is a Shazam spinoff, and Shazam 1 and 2 are not DCEU.  They are doing an alternate Earth Superman.

And I am fine with that, and the main characters all have plenty of villains that have not been explored or done properly on the screen.

I have read that they are going to try and make another run at a "big" DCEU movie, IF Aqua/WW do really well, but there is nothing scheduled in the next several years that is definitive DCEU.

And the Green Lantern DCEU movie that was put on hold/put into development hell after Batman vs Superman has been turned into an HBO Max series covering three eras, and there's nothing indicating it will cross over with the DCEU movies.  

16 hours ago, RPM said:

Just finished it. Night and day difference from the first cut. This did not suck.

This 

16 hours ago, ajax said:

I think this movie shows that Leto would have been an awesome Joker, if WB hadn't decided to go the whole comedy-comedy MCU funny re-edit route they did with the Whedon cut and Suicide Squad.

Makes me wonder what the original dark Suicide Squad edit would have been like.

And THIS!   I was disappointed though.   With all those pics they released of Leto as Joker he was only in it for the one scene.   It was a GREAT scene though

23 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I have read that they are going to try and make another run at a "big" DCEU movie, IF Aqua/WW do really well, but there is nothing scheduled in the next several years that is definitive DCEU.

So I was really curious if they'd even consider a JL2, and what exactly caused WB/DC leadership to have a falling out with him originally.

I've read plenty about how he wanted to make standalone Batman, or at least Batman-oriented movies (ala Nolan), but was given Superman, which he publicly admitted was not his first choice.  Fine, whatever, he knew if he did a half-decent job, he would get a shot at pitching them on other DC properties, and he eventually got to do Batman, albeit not in a solo movie.

But then I read where he wanted, after BvS, for Bruce Wayne to hook up with Lois, get her pregnant, and then have that play out in Justice League (and she is pregnant in Justice League - there's a pregnancy test on the nightstand when she wakes up, she's carrying a baby carrier (Snyder Cut)  instead of a packing/moving box (Whedon Cut) at the end when going in the Kent farmhouse, Batman congratulates Superman, etc.).  He would have had Batman sacrifice himself, and then epilogue 20 years later, Lois takes her and Bruce's son to the Batcave, tells him his legacy, and he starts working to become the next Batman.

He had to be told "NO" by WB/DC leadership, and to me, that little bit alone should have been enough to sink Snyder's future at DC, because that is an amazing lack of understanding who Batman is, who Lois is, who Lois and Superman area, etc.  Or it's an amazing display of arrogance, that he was going to take extremely well-established characters and just fuck with them so that he could put his personal stamp on them.

Even then, after being told no to a romance between Batty and Lois, he still wanted Batman to love Lois, and then die (protecting Lois), and Lois and Superman to have a non-powered kid, raise him, then have him become the new Batman.

It was bad when Abrams fucked with the holy trinity of Kirk/Spock/Bones in the Star Trek reboots because he wanted to  inject a romance/put his own stamp on Spock

But if Zach had gotten his way and had Batman knock up Lois Lane after Superman died, holy shit the fandom would have melted down.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I mean, I'm not the target audience as I really don't get the Marvel movies as entertainment for adults other than nostalgia, and these Superman/Batman/Wonder Twins movies are supposedly not all that entertaining.  But I can't imagine watching a movie for 4 fucking hours and 2 minutes unless you're some age around 20 and it's something like "met this arty chick and this is the price for anal on the first date."

• Hook 'Em 2

I bet most people don't watch this in one sitting.  We are going to need 3-4 nights here.  4:3 thing annoys me.  I thought it was some kind of a joke at first.  Also, its not HDR?  There are many scenes in this that would benefit from HDR.

2 hours ago, Hozz said:

4:3 thing annoys me.  I thought it was some kind of a joke at first. 

It had some scenes filmed for IMAX which is 4:3 so the entire movie was blocked at the same ratio. No idea why they stuck with that without an IMAX release unless Snyder just didn't like how it it looked in the wide screen format.

On 3/19/2021 at 12:11 AM, satyanash said:

She phoned it in big time. That whole speech she gave about Darkseid's past literally sounded like she was bored and reading off a sheet of paper.

And her "Kal-El, noooo" line was hysterically bad. She's not a very good actress.

That is my future wife you are impugning.  I demand an apology.

4 hours ago, Hozz said:

I bet most people don't watch this in one sitting.  We are going to need 3-4 nights here.  4:3 thing annoys me.  I thought it was some kind of a joke at first.  Also, its not HDR?  There are many scenes in this that would benefit from HDR.

Could not do it in one sitting/night.  Watched Falcon and then an hour or so.  Every time I got to an intermission card or whatever, I considered stopping.  

20 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I mean, I'm not the target audience as I really don't get the Marvel movies as entertainment for adults other than nostalgia, and these Superman/Batman/Wonder Twins movies are supposedly not all that entertaining.  But I can't imagine watching a movie for 4 fucking hours and 2 minutes unless you're some age around 20 and it's something like "met this arty chick and this is the price for anal on the first date."

Glad it was available for streaming. If I had to watch this in theaters that long I would’ve lost my mind.

4 hours ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

Glad it was available for streaming. If I had to watch this in theaters that long I would’ve lost my mind.

Totally agree... and I'm one of those fools who's seen a LOTR Extended Edition marathon on the big screen. #LargePopcorn #MilkDuds #Catheter

On 3/21/2021 at 8:37 PM, atomheartbevo said:

So I was really curious if they'd even consider a JL2

Interviews with WB management.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/zack-snyder-justice-league-suicide-squad-ray-fisher-warnermedia-1234935580/

WarnerMedia Studios CEO Ann Sarnoff says that the release of “Zack Snyder’s Justice League” will complete the director’s superhero trilogy, reinforcing the studio’s desire to move past the social media campaign to hand back control of the DC film universe to the filmmaker.

Variety: The campaign for #ReleaseTheSnyderCut has moved into a new phase. It’s now #RestoreTheSnyderVerse. What’s your reaction to this new campaign?

WarnerMedia Studios CEO Ann Sarnoff: I appreciate that they love Zack’s work and we are very thankful for his many contributions to DC. We’re just so happy that he could bring his cut of the “Justice League” to life because that wasn’t in the plan until about a year ago. With that comes the completion of his trilogy. We’re very happy we’ve done this, but we’re very excited about the plans we have for all the multi-dimensional DC characters that are being developed right now.

I’m not sure I’ll ever watch it, but I did attempt to turn it on for a bit just to see the opening scene... with no idea about the 4:3 excursion back in time. I use a Roku on the living room TV, it’s 4K and HDR, and the thing started playing the studio cards and opening scene with a severe green tint (WTF?), so I fast forwarded a bit and it squared up (maybe?) in color, but 4:3 (again, I had no idea), so I started over, and it was then just 100% green, couldn’t see anything. So I quit.

Curiosity and hype got the better of me and I hit play, thinking I had been harsh and unfair given what seemed like earnest work to try to make the movie better. 

Then I saw it was 4:3 "to preserve the vision of Zach Snyder." 

He's not Fellini, Kurosawa, or Kubrick, or even Richard Linklater.  His dream project was "Sucker Punch."

This is too much to ask of me.  His "vision" must be "lack of peripheral."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

I know this is kinda vague but I’m curious on your thoughts on what would you like to see the DCEU do differently from the MCU?

Honestly, the Snyder Cut solved some of the problems I had with the DCEU - fleshing out some of the other characters.  I still think they should have done solo movies to build into the Justice League, but it is what it is, and the Snyder Cut helped smooth that out.

It's kind of hard for me to phrase, since WB has the rights to ALL of their characters, unlike MCU which had to hit the ground running without X-Men, Spidey, and FF. I actually think that helped the MCU in the long run - they had to sit back, take stock of what characters they had rights to, and then build those characters up from almost scratch, since many casual moviegoers would not have any real experience with many of the characters, and since we had not seen most of those characters on the big screen.

DCEU suffers from the fact that we've seen a (relatively) shitload of people playing Batman and Superman, and the TV series, and they've used up a lot of their villains and bench warmers.

I also think the DCEU itself suffers from the fact that we were thrust into the DC equivalent of Thanos way too early, but on the flip side, we have Darkseid and Co. still running around.

I will have to come back to this, but my biggest thing I'd like to see, is some coherence and a master plan (ala Kevin Feige).  We are now getting another live-action Batman (Pattinson) in a non-DCEU movie, and there are other DC movies (Shazam, etc.) and a massive TV series (Green Lantern Corps) that are not tying into the DCEU movies, and I think it's going to confuse many people.

Ironically, I think Sndyer Cut gave us a chance at doing some decent Justice League movies, but Snyder may have sabotaged that a bit with the epilogue.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Started watching it with the missus rather late last night, just out of curiosity, and I’ll be damned if we both didn’t really enjoy it (what we saw so far), even though neither of us saw the Supe/Batman movie. Got about halfway thru, will resume soon. Props to Barry Allen bringing the lulz. (Gadot in the skintight white dress early on was amazing.)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/22/2021 at 2:06 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Were the wonder woman slow mo ancient music scenes meant to bring the lulz? If so, it worked 

The was fucking annoying. Almost every scene with an Amazon had that singing. I blame Game of Thrones for making that a thing.

I watched it over a few evenings, and thought it was overall good. Some character development for Cyborg and the villains. I'm glad they got rid of the Russian family bullshit, and the Superman/Flash race at the end. I don't recall the epilogue at the end of the original, so that was a good add. It definitely opened up the future for more (prominent) characters - I'd like to see more of Mera and her bosom exposing body armor. Martian Manhunter intro was awful, but the acting in all of the DCEU movies have sucked shit, so I'm not surprised.

The was fucking annoying. Almost every scene with an Amazon had that singing. I blame Game of Thrones for making that a thing.

I watched it over a few evenings, and thought it was overall good. Some character development for Cyborg and the villains. I'm glad they got rid of the Russian family bullshit, and the Superman/Flash race at the end. I don't recall the epilogue at the end of the original, so that was a good add. It definitely opened up the future for more (prominent) characters - I'd like to see more of Mera and her bosom exposing body armor. Martian Manhunter intro was awful, but the acting in all of the DCEU movies have sucked shit, so I'm not surprised.

Username..

It was enjoyable.  Liked that it gave more time for the movie to "play out" rather than rush into the typical CGI fightfest.  Seems to me it's every bit equal to Avengers.  Flash was a bit annoying as was angsty Victor.  No worse than Wanda/Vision in the Avengers movie so its all par.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:36 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Honestly, the Snyder Cut solved some of the problems I had with the DCEU - fleshing out some of the other characters.  I still think they should have done solo movies to build into the Justice League, but it is what it is, and the Snyder Cut helped smooth that out.

It was only able to do that because it has a 4 hour run time. He would never have been given that many hours for a theatrical release. In essence the original release was doomed no matter who made it.

they seemed to change a ton of things unecessary between the movies, not just the runtime and some elements of the plot

steppenwolfs costume is quite different.  even the enemy dome goes from red to blue.  etc.  lots of $ spent for nothing?

79277371.jpg?204894

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

It was only able to do that because it has a 4 hour run time. He would never have been given that many hours for a theatrical release.

from what perspective does that make sense though?  producers movies are fearful that criticism of length might hinder viewership (has that ever happened?)?  movie theater pays less to the studios because it cuts into their showing times? 

really dont understand the run time as an issue.  the movie had already been budgeted and shots (prob hundreds of hours), so its not surplus to the production cost. 

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

they seemed to change a ton of things unecessary between the movies, not just the runtime and some elements of the plot

steppenwolfs costume is quite different.  even the enemy dome goes from red to blue.  etc.  lots of $ spent for nothing?

79277371.jpg?204894

those were definite improvements but they were done with the benefit of hindsight and better technology. Whedon didn't come in and have Steppenwolf's design changed. What would have been better if Snyder did the original release was the tone and color. It would have been more consistent with less forced cringe levity.  

Just now, 52-80 said:

from what perspective does that make sense though?  producers movies are fearful that criticism of length might hinder viewership (has that ever happened?)?  movie theater pays less to the studios because it cuts into their showing times? 

really dont understand the run time as an issue.  the movie had already been budgeted and shots (prob hundreds of hours), so its not surplus to the production cost. 

WB demanded that Justice League be "only" 2 hours long. That just wouldn't have been enough for the 10+ new characters to be introduced to say nothing of Cyborg's character arc. I guess they were fearful no one would sit through that long a movie, I dunno.