learn me on apparel merchandising

52-80

Every YouTube channel and social media personality seems to be selling merch.  So it must be lucrative.

I get that the cost and difficulty of drop-shipping from a Chinese printing shop is nothing, and the gross margin is generous.  $10 per unit * 50,000 shirts = nice half a mil.

But who in the ever living fuck is buying a shirt of "America's test kitchen" or "Joaquins unicycle repair" or some "Susie the stamp collecting podcaster".  Do you see this around?  Are people wearing hats and hoodies with this branding?

I occasionally see t-shirts from more well-known YouTube channels that are actually businesses (hobby shops, movie companies, etc.), but never have for the individuals.

Ironically, even though a shitload of people have been stuck away from work/school, and in theory YouTube views should be way up, ad revenue has been declining for plenty of channels for a while.  Affiliate links and merchandise like t-shirts are better revenue drivers.  And in-video advertising is very lucrative for some.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I occasionally see t-shirts from more well-known YouTube channels that are actually businesses (hobby shops, movie companies, etc.), but never have for the individuals.

Ironically, even though a shitload of people have been stuck away from work/school, and in theory YouTube views should be way up, ad revenue has been declining for plenty of channels for a while.  Affiliate links and merchandise like t-shirts are better revenue drivers.  And in-video advertising is very lucrative for some.

I just listened to an expose' (linked from this website) about the contract negotiations of a pair of bimbos hosting a podcast on the barstool network.

First time podcaster.  And it's audio -- so unlike Instagram people can't even ogle at the bimbos -- and yet after the first 6 months at it, they were doing enough in ads "and merch" to command 500k salaries.  And they were negotiating for a bigger cut of merchandise share.

Okay, downloads = ads, fine.  But apparently there's enough meat in the merch for them to go after, and I'm just miffed at who buys that shit

Every YouTube channel and social media personality seems to be selling merch.  So it must be lucrative.

I get that the cost and difficulty of drop-shipping from a Chinese printing shop is nothing, and the gross margin is generous.  $10 per unit * 50,000 shirts = nice half a mil.

But who in the ever living fuck is buying a shirt of "America's test kitchen" or "Joaquins unicycle repair" or some "Susie the stamp collecting podcaster".  Do you see this around?  Are people wearing hats and hoodies with this branding?

I’m not the target market for podcast merch but one of my favorites (“You’re Wrong About”) released this shirt after doing a series of episodes on the OJ Simpson trial and I had to have it.

3a8875f365dfd3ce3bf0cf4eed79a52f.jpg

I just wear it around the house and to Target and stuff.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I just listened to an expose' (linked from this website) about the contract negotiations of a pair of bimbos hosting a podcast on the barstool network.

First time podcaster.  And it's audio -- so unlike Instagram people can't even ogle at the bimbos -- and yet after the first 6 months at it, they were doing enough in ads "and merch" to command 500k salaries.  And they were negotiating for a bigger cut of merchandise share.

Okay, downloads = ads, fine.  But apparently there's enough meat in the merch for them to go after, and I'm just miffed at who buys that shit

It can be very lucrative.  I've helped a few folks setup websites/advertising/etc. and even done some light video work for their YouTube channels.  When you have ads on say YouTube (the ads that run before or during, or that are on the website), I think it's around 50% goes to you.  Not bad at all if you have a lot of views/likes (likes help drive up visibility, which leads to more views), but you're still giving up 50% or so.    Those shout-outs you see during videos, those are usually paid, and 100% goes to the person doing it (and the IRS).

The problem is, with the pandemic, the pickings for a lot of ads are slim, because so many businesses closed down temporarily, or their sales are off or whatever.  Plus, some of these folks have production and advertising costs themselves.

But yeah, merchandise though, the profits are almost completely going in the pockets of the people doing the videos.  And I have no idea why it's so lucrative, well, I get that spending $10 to have a t-shirt made, and selling it for $20 is nice money if you can move thousands, but I just don't get why so many buy them.

And then there's Patreon, which is another revenue stream, and even if you don't have many giving you money over Patreon, it doesn't take many to add up (and a lot of the content creators give shout-outs to their Patreon subscribers, which drives up revenue).

Edited by atomheartbevo

Really interesting timing on this thread because I just posted my first t-shirt design on teepublic today. The idea is that you create a lot of designs using a program or by hiring a cheap designer on fiverr. Like 5 to 10 dollars cheap. Then you upload those designs on all the sites that drop ship, tag them based on category, and wait for the money to come in. They all print, drop ship, and send you a cut of the money. I have no idea if I will make any money at all, but the idea that your designs can sit there forever with the potential to sell intrigues me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Really interesting timing on this thread because I just posted my first t-shirt design on teepublic today. The idea is that you create a lot of designs using a program or by hiring a cheap designer on fiverr. Like 5 to 10 dollars cheap. Then you upload those designs on all the sites that drop ship, tag them based on category, and wait for the money to come in. They all print, drop ship, and send you a cut of the money. I have no idea if I will make any money at all, but the idea that your designs can sit there forever with the potential to sell intrigues me.

I do the same thing with Redbubble and Society6. They'll print it on anything from shirts to stickers to shower curtains. I get a dribble of sales royalties where I could buy a fancy beer once a month. Granted, I'm not doing TikTok dances to promote it. Considering how many designs I uploaded, I probably have made $2 an hour for the effort. But hey, they're there bringing me beer money, until they're not.

On the upside, I once found some Chinese knockoffs of my work listed on Amazon. So I guess I made the big time.

9 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I do the same thing with Redbubble and Society6. They'll print it on anything from shirts to stickers to shower curtains. I get a dribble of sales royalties where I could buy a fancy beer once a month. Granted, I'm not doing TikTok dances to promote it. Considering how many designs I uploaded, I probably have made $2 an hour for the effort. But hey, they're there bringing me beer money, until they're not.

On the upside, I once found some Chinese knockoffs of my work listed on Amazon. So I guess I made the big time.

I’ll have to check out redbubble. Uploaded to teespring today, which was really easy. It’s not searchable yet and I have read that you have to see a few on your own first to get your trust rating up. Anybody ever tried them?

21 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

They all print, drop ship, and send you a cut of the money. I have no idea if I will make any money at all, but the idea that your designs can sit there forever with the potential to sell intrigues me.

it happens.

Edited by mulletpelini
shit