Gus Vayas - Owner of GM Steakhouse dies

AustinMT

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Actually, I think Mr. Vayas' G/Ms were all actual diners.  The one on the drag somehow became separated from the rest of the "chain."

I'm not sure he had much of anything to do with the burger joint.

From what I read elsewhere, he owned the location on the Drag until 1978, then sold it and opened the Lamar location 

• Like 1

Spiro, IIRC, was the owner of the Guadalupe location near the Woo in the early 80's.  He was a large Greek dude.  Was sad to see it go away but he sold it and then the lease became a difficult thing was the rumor.

Never made it to the locations described in the OP.  RIP nevertheless.

17 hours ago, AustinMT said:

From what I read elsewhere, he owned the location on the Drag until 1978, then sold it and opened the Lamar location 

He sold it to the owner of Dobie Malls Magic Mushroom head shop, Joel Sidelnik, who adopted the speaker on the drag abusing passers by, tossing tomatoes on the window, and the motto “Searing Steers for 30 years”.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LongestHorn said:

He sold it to the owner of Dobie Malls Magic Mushroom head shop, Joel Sidelnik, who adopted the speaker on the drag abusing passers by, tossing tomatoes on the window, and the motto “Searing Steers for 30 years”.  

Seems accurate: https://www.statesman.com/article/20150829/NEWS/308299706