2020 Texas Volleyball (Hopefully)

LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Man, feels like one of the first times a Texas player is neither preseason POY or FOY in a decade or so. 

Preseason POY - Pressley (Baylor)
Preseason FOY - Caroline Crawford (KU)

All Big 12 - Butler, Logan and Fields

So I just checked - you have to go back to 2005 to find when a Texas player was neither preseason POY or FOY - during this 16 season stretch, Texas had the preseason POY and FOY 7 times, preseason FOY-only 4 times and preseason POY-only 3 times, only missing out in 2005 and 2020). 

Tomorrow is the preseason standings poll.  I'd guess its Baylor 1 and Texas 2. 

Fuck Baylor. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

If we don't have a football season I hope volleyball and other non contact sports in the fall can still play. Although I guess the blockers will need to rub their hands in purell after each point if they touch fingers with the opponent 

NCAA is exploring options such as:

Changes to seeding to keep things as regional as possible (I'm guessing this will completely eliminate seedings that avoid 2+ of the same conference teams within the same region)
Regional hosting sites to avoid using home campus and no fans
NCAA testing procedures separate from the P5 procedures (for postseasons)
Potentially moving championships to spring 2021

I'm v curious how the seeding changes could work.  Would they go to the pre-super regional NCAA softball type seeding? If you recall, they used to do 8 regionals with 8 teams each.  There was not much worry about same conference teams getting paired up.  Back in 2002, we were in a regional with OU and A&M. 

42 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Still no fall Volleyball schedule released. In a normal year, wouldn't it be released by now?

Yeah. But we are having to figure out replacement I’m sure. I think we should have had a couple PAC and B1G teams on the schedule that have to be replaced now 

If there is a season, I don't think fans will be allowed to watch. Even though the FEC is much larger than Gregory, we're still talking about an indoor venue, and indoors is where the virus is known to spread the most. Outdoors is generally safe as long as you're 6 feet from the next person.

Edited by perfectchaos007

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29504754/lawsuits-allege-nebraska-mishandled-reports-sexual-assault-harassment

Davis played for Nebraska's top-10-ranked volleyball team until last fall, when she took a medical leave of absence and later transferred to play at Texas. According to both complaints, the school's handling of a false rumor that she was pregnant with the child of a football player, as well as a report that she was groped at a party, led her to transfer.

Wow. Glad she got out of that situation.

Pin depth could be a problem if there are injuries but with the additions of O'Brien and Davis what were the scholarship numbers looking like? 

As I posted above, it looked like O'Brien was in the works weeks ago. Seemed to me they were waiting to see if scholarship numbers would work out so they could officially announce O'Brien.

Maybe there was already room for all these players but I get the idea this might have been a "hey maybe wait until next year" type ordeal so they could add O'Brien to the roster. Maybe I'm wrong? Parra is a hell of a talent but she's also really young. I think she's actually a year younger than most FR. Probably ideal for Texas if she waits a year anyways assuming they have enough pin depth this season. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Meh, I don't think we'll play anyhow this fall.  Two ways this goes, both good for Texas:

Scenario 1: postpone to spring 2021

• 5-6 more months for Madison Williams to be ready to play and fully rehabbed
  • Parra and Malual may be here in time to practice/play or at least take practice reps for most of the spring
  • All of the fall for Cabello and Iosia to get more practice reps and be ready to play

Scenario 2: no volleyball until fall 2021

• Fully healed Williams
  • Ready to play Parra and Malual, having had all of the spring and summer to practice with the team
  • Extra year of eligibility for everyone (including O'Brien)
  • Redshirt the 2 incoming frosh
  • Basically an entire year of college training for Cabello and Iosia

5 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I guess national titles will be in the hands of the pollsters this season. Gotta sweep the big 12!

Fuck that. I’m don’t want to be wasting eligibility on a big 12 title and a aggy-esque asterisked championship from a poll. 

Unless Emmert can guarantee postponing these championships to spring and bubbling up to do it, I don’t want to play.  Cut the field in half, 5 rounds in a bubble. 

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Fuck that. I’m don’t want to be wasting eligibility on a big 12 title and a aggy-esque asterisked championship from a poll. 

Unless Emmert can guarantee postponing these championships to spring and bubbling up to do it, I don’t want to play.  Cut the field in half, 5 rounds in a bubble. 

I agree with that, however I highly doubt the NCAA is competent enough to put something like that together. Given they haven't organized shit in the last 5 months I doubt 5 months from now they'll have a bubble set up for volleyball. MAYBE they'll figure it out for basketball just because of how much money is on the line. Can't imagine how much money the NCAA would lose with 2 consecutive march madnesses cancelled considering its the biggest money making event for the NCAA

9 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I agree with that, however I highly doubt the NCAA is competent enough to put something like that together. Given they haven't organized shit in the last 5 months I doubt 5 months from now they'll have a bubble set up for volleyball. MAYBE they'll figure it out for basketball just because of how much money is on the line. Can't imagine how much money the NCAA would lose with 2 consecutive march madnesses cancelled considering its the biggest money making event for the NCAA

Emmert said 32 teams might be doable, but 16 is way more manageable. 

Without a doubt the NCAA’s focus is protecting March madness and the CWS in terms of what makes money 

If a sport‘s championship is getting pushed to spring, the conference needs to postpone that sport. No point playing the fall and THEN a spring championship gets cancelled later and you wasted eligibility or someone got hurt for nothing 

Edited by Js1

On 8/14/2020 at 9:08 AM, Js1 said:

Then I hope we don’t play at all or the NCAA calls it an exhibition season and doesn’t affect eligibility 

Yeah that would be ideal. Playing an 18 game exhibition schedule against the big 12. Spring 2020 exhibition games were cancelled due to covid so this could be the make-up exhibitions.

On 8/15/2020 at 10:49 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Yeah that would be ideal. Playing an 18 game exhibition schedule against the big 12. Spring 2020 exhibition games were cancelled due to covid so this could be the make-up exhibitions.

Ideal news: