2020 Texas Volleyball (Hopefully)

LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, Pogo said:

Then Shook needs to start working on attacking because by my count we still only have 5 healthy attackers, right?

Correct

• O'Neal
  • Eggleston
  • Butler
  • Fields
  • Phillips

MIA: Capri Davis

Rehabbing: Madison Williams

But it's been that way for 8 matches already.  It is what it is.  We are halfway through the fall schedule.

• Oct 22/23 - Tech at home
  • Oct 30/31 - TCU in FW
  • Nov 5/6 - Baylor at home
  • Nov 12/13 - WV in Morgantown

We just need to stay healthy for about 3 more weeks.  Get into the 2nd offseason with the automatic bid locked up for April and then figure out how to get a handful of matches in for the spring schedule. 

Maybe the Big 12 will do a spring exhibition - 8 or 16 matches and flip sites from the fall or we just play non-conf teams.  I'd def be all for a spring exhibition season (February/March) of aggy, Florida, Kentucky, Stanford, Wisky, PSU.  

• Like 1

Nothing really spectacular last night, just a solid win over a mediocre team.  We slacked off for a few minutes in the middle of the 2nd set, but that's about the worst thing.  Tyler mentioned that Logan leads the league in aces, but neglected to add that she also leads the league in service errors.  If ticket prices come down today, I think I'll take the fam to the game tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas is leading the league at a .348 hitting percentage and holding opponents to .156 (Baylor is at .157).  

14.3 assists per set (#1).  15.3 kills per set (#1).  3.00 blocks per set (#1).   The only category we don't lead is digs per set (#6 at 13.37). 

We actually lead the league in aces per set too - 1.43 (43 total is 1 more than KSU's 42). 

Halfway through the schedule, my midpoint awards are:

• Logan Eggleston (Texas) - Big 12 POY: 156 kills in 30 sets, .362 hitting percentage, 5.20 kills per set, #5 in hitting % (.362) and 5.98 points per set (#1) 
  • Jhenna Gabriel (Texas) - Big 12 Setter of the Year (376 assists in 30 sets, 12.53 assists per set and leading Texas to a .348 hitting percentage)
  • Brionne Butler (Texas) - Big 12 Defense POY (43 blocks in 30 sets, 1.43 blocks per set) and tops it off with #1 in hitting percentage (.436)
  • Emerson Solano (Tech) - Big 12 Libero of the Year (leads the conference in digs at 157)
  • Guweve Diouf (OU) - Big 12 Freshman of the Year (#3 in the conference in kills per set behind the 2 best players in the league in Eggleston and Pressley) 

That was an azz kickin', but there's still some little things that need to be cleaned up. Our OH's and MB's can't just keep tipping the ball back over to someone standing there waiting on it on all those overpasses. If there's definitely a hole, go for it, but tipping right back over to someone right there waiting for it is just giving the other team a free ball.

Either kill, go for a definite hole or pass, set, kill.

After getting aced for 5 of Tech's first 12 points, that turned into a more dominating performance.  So much so that JE moved Iosia to libero for the 3rd set to see how she responded to more playing time.  Shook played the last third of the last 2 sets.  It took her a bit to get comfortable setting the middles, but she got a few good ones in.

I took the family to this match and we sat behind the Tech baseline.  It felt very odd, empty, quiet, and cavernous for the first 15 minutes, then you kinda forget about it.  Sitting behind the baseline allows you to see lots of thing like angles, nasty floater serves, and just how high Logan and Brionne can hit over blocks when we're in system.

• Hook 'Em 3

Our season, originally slated to end November 13 against WVU, will now be extended - the TCU matches have been rescheduled for November 28 (7pm) and November 29 (5pm). 

So we will play the next 3 weekends and then have 2 weeks off - looks like the team will also not be traveling home for the holidays.  Kinda sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1