2020 Texas Volleyball (Hopefully)

LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Doesn't seem that will change about Elliott. Just have to live with it. It would be hard to justify replacing him as the coach.

Woah we may be 1/5 in title games under Elliot and had some early exits, but he ain’t ever being replaced unless he tanks or leaves.  5 title games in 20 years - I’d take that in all our sports, even if they only won at a 20% clip. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The same issues every year - serve receive and ball control/back row play. Without fail.  But:
2009 we ran into the PSU dynasty
2016 was the start of the Stanford run 
2015/2021 just sucked. 
2012 was great but we got lucky the best setter in volleyball got hurt in the FF against Oregon and they lost 

Agree. I don’t think our serve/receive in this year’s tournament was as bad as some years though. Stumbler was unstoppable. We didn’t get a lot of block touches that the back row is used to.

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I mean we were a few points from tying that team 2-2.  We were damn good.  The margin in that game was thinner than the popular narrative will make it sound. 

Yeah, just frustrating that we didn't play better.

Hurts more when your team has an off night in a Championship match...

Just now, UDontKnow said:

Why would Morrison stick around as a volunteer coach?

There's been some talk about finding a place for him. 

This is the kind of thing where CDC earns his money.

Even if we don't keep Morrison, maybe someone else can be found. The JE/Sullivan combo for back row hasn't gotten it done, for sure.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Even if we don't keep Morrison, maybe someone else can be found. The JE/Sullivan combo for back row hasn't gotten it done, for sure.

Yep. Give him a BS title like Ogden got for MBB where he just can’t recruit. 

They were better than us tonight in more than 1 phase, but for me it comes down to passing. That's what got them rolling, and kept them rolling ... and our poor passing was our biggest problem.

No surprise there, of course. The team that passes the ball better almost always wins.

Just now, Pancho said:

So was this year just because we were young or is there just something about Elliott where he’s good enough to get to the FF/NC but for some reason just can’t close?

This was probably Texas’ best passing/ball control and serving team in several years.

Jhenna is a great setter, but her height is always going to be a liability the deeper you go into the tournament.   Kentucky’s hitters were abusing her block.

We won several matches because we served tough...but Kentucky was passing really well...and combine that with a setter who can put the ball where all the hitters need it and you can see the results.

I will also say that the MB’s had a difficult time reading the UK hitters...mostly because of the fast offense, but even when UK was OOS, they seemed to hit around, through, and over the block. For this team, if the MBs weren’t slowing down the hitters, the back row play seemed to slip back into Texas’ old ways (like in the Rice lost).

• Hook 'Em 2

Wow, that would be fantastic! Hope CDC can pull it off.

we didn't play poorly.  what we could have done differently was control the ball better when we had chances.  i've always been a proponent of coming off blocks on OOS roll shots and setting up the defense instead.  too many free balls and rolls grazed off blocks, hit the floor, or resulted in bad passes causing us to play OOS.  oh well.  i'm proud of these ladies able to maintain focus in such an odd year.  let's run it back!

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

This was probably Texas’ best passing/ball control and serving team in several years.

Jhenna is a great setter, but her height is always going to be a liability the deeper you go into the tournament.   Kentucky’s hitters were abusing her block.

We won several matches because we served tough...but Kentucky was passing really well...and combine that with a setter who can put the ball where all the hitters need it and you can see the results.

I will also say that the MB’s had a difficult time reading the UK hitters...mostly because of the fast offense, but even when UK was OOS, they seemed to hit around, through, and over the block. For this team, if the MBs weren’t slowing down the hitters, the back row play seemed to slip back into Texas’ old ways (like in the Rice lost).

Agree 100%.  

Asjia seemed to disappear a bit when she had been contributing solidly in prior matches.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Agree 100%.  

Asjia seemed to disappear a bit when she had been contributing solidly in prior matches.

If she gets blocked once or twice early, it gets in her head. I noticed she sort of disappeared after a couple times her slide got blocked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Elliiott has a defensive/back row blind spot.  We got better this year with the addition of volunteer coach Morrison and a complete lagniappe in Morgan O'Brien.

We don't have elite littles.  They played much better than usual for Texas this year, but not good enough.

We lost the same way we've lost the last eight years:  poor back row play.

ETA:  Iosia is probably one of the best littles we've recruited, but she's young.  O"Brien was a definite step up, but ultimately not like Curry or the Wisky Libero.

I had enough of seeing Petersen, Rounsaville, and Hahn in the backcourt for the past several years.

We definitely lucked out getting O’Brien when she was ready to give up playing and Iosia is just a Freshmen. I could do w/o Petersen on the floor tbh. 

We’ll see how they look next year with Melanie Parra in the line-up.

Still think we may need to go all-in with setter Cabello or find an elite setter transfer (they were going after a setter that eventually chose USC)...but not sure how that would affect team dynamics with everyone returning....

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, TexasDPT said:

I had enough of seeing Petersen, Rounsaville, and Hahn in the backcourt for the past several years.

We definitely lucked out getting O’Brien when she was ready to give up playing and Iosia is just a Freshmen. I could do w/o Petersen on the floor tbh. 

Still think we may need to go all-in with setter Cabello or find an elite setter transfer (they were going after a setter that eventually chose USC)...but not sure how that would affect team dynamics with everyone returning....

They also were going after another libero, Fleck from UCSB, who chose UCLA.  Then we got lucky finding MOB already at Texas 

10 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we didn't play poorly.  what we could have done differently was control the ball better when we had chances.  i've always been a proponent of coming off blocks on OOS roll shots and setting up the defense instead.  too many free balls and rolls grazed off blocks, hit the floor, or resulted in bad passes causing us to play OOS.  oh well.  i'm proud of these ladies able to maintain focus in such an odd year.  let's run it back!

I think it's that same something that means we do less with free balls than probably any good team in the country.  We don't seem to set up off them.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

They also were going after another libero, Fleck from UCSB, who chose UCLA.  Then we got lucky finding MOB already at Texas 

Yeah, Elliott was going hard after Fleck after the 2019 melt-down season...but she chose UCLA.  

O’Brien fell into Texas’ lap.  

Petersen going from libero to 3rd DS off the bench, shows the level of incompetence Elliott has showed in the developing the back row in his tenure...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

O'Brien has been a definite step up, but she's still not an elite DS that a team like Texas should have.

It's just absurd that our back row players are such a step down from our elite hitters and blockers.

Just compare their high school "honors" to those of the front row players.  It's sad.  It's like "all district" "all region" maybe even "all state-honorable mention" versus 15 All-American selections from various publications for the hitters.  It's a slight exaggeration currently, as I think we've been trying to recruit better.  But in the days of Hahn and Rounsaville and others, it was definitely true.

There is not a senior on our roster. 

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

O'Brien has been a definite step up, but she's still not an elite DS that a team like Texas should have.

It's just absurd that our back row players are such a step down from our elite hitters and blockers.

Just compare their high school "honors" to those of the front row players.  It's sad.  It's like "all district" "all region" maybe even "all state-honorable mention" versus 15 All-American selections from various publications for the hitters.  It's a slight exaggeration currently, as I think we've been trying to recruit better.  But in the days of Hahn and Rounsaville and others, it was definitely true.

There is not a senior on our roster. 

MOB was a high school AA special mention.  Got good development at Illinois.  Petersen was a second team high school AA. Iosia was a first team high school AA 

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

MOB was a high school AA special mention.  Got good development at Illinois.  Petersen was a second team high school AA. Iosia was a first team high school AA 

Yeah, I pulled that punch a little bit.  We have seemed to kick defensive recruiting up a notch.  They still pale in comparison to the accolades of the hitters.

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I get grumpy as hell this time every year. Dammit. 

Yeah, but the 2017-2019 seasons were all really disappointing. 

At least this year, they made it the the NC match and actually shored up the back row and serving...still not elite, but SO much better than what it has been the past several seasons.  Plus, they showed a lot of grit beating Penn State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. No one thought we would make it out of our bracket when it first came out.

I just want them to continue improving their passing and back row play for next season.  Elite hitters will neutralize the Texas block, so back row play HAS to always get better. They are at least at a good starting point. 

I think the biggest question mark will be setting...does Elliott continue to let Gabriel run the team?  She’s probably the most improved player and plays great defense, but the past 3 seasons have shown what teams with good setting and terminal left pin hitters can do with her up front. Hell, teams were doing the same thing with Chloe Collins and she was a better leaper than Jhenna. 

If Logan and Melanie play 6 rotations, Skylar on the right with Nalani DSing for her in the back row, Bri/Asjia/Molly battling it out to start in the middle, and O’Brien in the black jersey, they could run a 5-2 system where Jhenna plays back row and Cabello plays in the front row. That might be one of the better line-ups to develop this summer and run it in the fall. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Yeah, but the 2017-2019 seasons were all really disappointing. 

At least this year, they made it the the NC match and actually shored up the back row and serving...still not elite, but SO much better than what it has been the past several seasons.  Plus, they showed a lot of grit beating Penn State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. No one thought we would make it out of our bracket when it first came out.

I just want them to continue improving their passing and back row play for next season.  Elite hitters will neutralize the Texas block, so back row play HAS to always get better. They are at least at a good starting point. 

I think the biggest question mark will be setting...does Elliott continue to let Gabriel run the team?  She’s probably the most improved player and plays great defense, but the past 3 seasons have shown what teams with good setting and terminal left pin hitters can do with her up front. Hell, teams were doing the same thing with Chloe Collins and she was a better leaper than Jhenna. 

If Logan and Melanie play 6 rotations, Skylar on the right with Nalani DSing for her in the back row, Bri/Asjia/Molly battling it out to start in the middle, and O’Brien in the black jersey, they could run a 5-2 system where Jhenna plays back row and Cabello plays in the front row. That might be one of the better line-ups to develop this summer and run it in the fall. 

Might be the only time I’m all-In on a 2 setter lineup. Hated when he’d try it out and then abandon it. It’s only won a title once I think? In 05?

Definitely better than the wet farts the last few years.

The other thing the "doomsayers" (i.e. me)  have to admit is that when a team falters and loses, it's almost always going to look like we do when we lose.  The system breaks down. passing, defense, bad sets, blocked attacks, the centre cannot hold, the falcon cannot hear the falconer.

We didn't lose this one solely because of poorer back row play. UK was a better, better balanced team and their setter was the core of it.  I might suspect that Curry didn't get tons of national love because SEC, but she was about the equal of Barnes.

I am optimistic that JE gets it, at least more than he has in the past.

I'm invested in this sport more than football, and even baseball.  I woke up this morning feeling bummed like I did after my hs teams lost big games, and like I used to after football games.

• Hook 'Em 1

The other thing the "doomsayers" (i.e. me)  have to admit is that when a team falters and loses, it's almost always going to look like we do when we lose.  The system breaks down. passing, defense, bad sets, blocked attacks, the centre cannot hold, the falcon cannot hear the falconer.
We didn't lose this one solely because of poorer back row play. UK was a better, better balanced team and their setter was the core of it.  I might suspect that Curry didn't get tons of national love because SEC, but she was about the equal of Barnes.
I'm invested in this sport more than football, and even baseball.  I woke up this morning feeling bummed like I did after my hs teams lost big games, and like I used to after football games.

This, although I’m actually not as grumpy this year as in years past. Not playing the “what if”s in my mind as much. The back row could have been better, but the quick and loaded UK hitters had a lot to do with that too.

Would love to see a stat on block touches from this match compared to others. The back row aren’t used to seeing untouched missiles sent their way all night.

Also interesting to see someone else say they are invested in volleyball more than football. Been like that for me for some time now.
  • Hook 'Em 2

So.... I don't watch a lot of vball, but it seemed like the differences were:
1. Libero play - UK Libero seemed to get everything after the first set. MVP after...
2. The chick who seemed to score at will... I suppose she's some type of POY or something, because she was able to put the ball on the floor with ease (and our Libero didn't seem to be able to figure her little dink shots out...)
3. Serving - UK had aces. We had nets.

Proud of the squad. They'll be back and improved.

Hook'em.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

How will we look next year (in a few months lol) and who are the title contenders?

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

How will we look next year (in a few months lol) and who are the title contenders?

We bring back everyone (Elliot said so, so guessing that MOB has said yes).  Plus depth with Parra, Malual and Williams.  Could potentially run a two setter lineup to take advantage of Cabello’s height in the front row. 

I know Lilley isn’t going back to UK. Curry said something about “I think they can win it all next year too” and not “we” so I think she is moving on. 

Really depends what some big timers like Rettke, Haggerty, Sun, etc. decide. Texas will be #1 or #2 if everyone indeed returns. 

Congrats to the Longhorn Women.  13 Final Fours.  7 National Championship matches. 

It was tough to watch them play below their excellence at a time when Kentucky was peaking.  But deep tournament runs is what this team and what UT Athletics should be accustomed to these days.  I am glad to hear everyone is coming back for next year's run.  Which I am pleased to see is only 4 short months away.  

Most important, they gave my daughters really fun matches to watch from home and I can't wait to take them to Gregory next season to watch these student-athletes that make us all proud to be 'Horns. 

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Appreciate the season Horns! Hook 'Em.

Let's get back there and win in 7 months or so.

Well said  !

Any myself and many others appreciate this thread from the many knowledgeable contributors.   Best thread on Surly - no bs, antics, just professional analysis.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am not very knowledgeable about volleyball, but it seemed to me that their block was generally popping the ball up in the air and creating easy digs and sets, while our block often deflected the ball to the side in positions that it was difficult to dig. Is that more a function of blocking technique or were our hitters not doing as good of a job of hit placement. 

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for basic information on the rules, such as rotations, etc. I’m not looking to become an expert, but I would like to have a better understanding of the basics. 

Oh yeah, forgot to echo the sentiments about thanking a bunch of y'all for providing great insight into the game itself, schemes, strategy, lineups, etc.  I love our program, I know the basics of the sport, but y'all make me look smart in front of my wife and daughters because I don't know much about the high level game.  My wife was all-state in high school in volleyball, and I stole a lot of analysis and talking points off this thread throughout the tourney to look sharp in front of the family.  Will pass out rep after yardwork/beer drinking.  

On 4/25/2021 at 3:13 PM, Lobo said:

Oh yeah, forgot to echo the sentiments about thanking a bunch of y'all for providing great insight into the game itself, schemes, strategy, lineups, etc.  I love our program, I know the basics of the sport, but y'all make me look smart in front of my wife and daughters because I don't know much about the high level game.  My wife was all-state in high school in volleyball, and I stole a lot of analysis and talking points off this thread throughout the tourney to look sharp in front of the family.  Will pass out rep after yardwork/beer drinking.  

uh yea pics of wife...

Well I asked her family once for photos of her in her senior year volleyball shorts.  It was not taken well, particularly since I was there to ask for their blessing as I was about to ask for her hand in marriage.  Still we just celebrated 15 years on Friday, but the National Championship was not ours to have.  

On 4/25/2021 at 12:26 PM, Texas Wahoo said:

I am not very knowledgeable about volleyball, but it seemed to me that their block was generally popping the ball up in the air and creating easy digs and sets, while our block often deflected the ball to the side in positions that it was difficult to dig. Is that more a function of blocking technique or were our hitters not doing as good of a job of hit placement. 

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for basic information on the rules, such as rotations, etc. I’m not looking to become an expert, but I would like to have a better understanding of the basics. 

I don't think anyone would say their hitters are better or more skilled than ours, but ours may be taller and more "athletic," meaning bigger "hops."  Theirs may rely a bit more on "technique" to "tool the block" or use it as a surface to ricochet the ball out of bounds, as opposed to hitting over (height, think Skylar) or through (arm strength, think Brionne) the block.  Logan is special because she does both as the situation dictates.  Molly is good at tooling blocks but isn't as hard a hitter as most of the others. 

The other thing is although our block got up most of the time, it might not have been well set to send the ball up or straight back because UK's offense is so fast.  Fast meaning the setter, partly because of passing, doesn't have to push the ball very far laterally, and just puts it to the perfect height for her hitters.  Our passing breakdowns made our sets slow, and ours are often slower because of the heights some of our girls hit from. Sometimes the ball is even coming down, which is not characteristic of their offense and POY setter. That gave UK the opportunity to get the block up and set just right to send it straight back or up. 

Stumler is a beast though, and managed to get over or through our block pretty easily, particularly with 5-8 Jhenna across from her, which happened a LOT.  She had a bit less success against bigger blocks in rotations where Jhenna wasn't blocking.

The NCAA site has some good "beginner" explanations for some stuff.  It's not organized terribly well, but you can start here. https://www.ncaa.com/news/volleyball-women/article/2020-07-14/college-volleyball-dictionary-glossary-and-terms-everything-you-need-know

TV #s from this year’s volleyball championship match. It was the most watched show on ESPN2 this month. Up 28% from 2019!

202(1)0: 696K (Kentucky vs. Texas)
2019: 533K (Stanford vs. Wisc)
2018: 938K (Stanford vs. Neb)
2017: 1 mil (Neb vs. Florida)
2016: 576K (Stanford vs. Texas)

(per Holly Rowe and David A Portney on Twitter) 

28 minutes ago, texfan11 said:

TV #s from this year’s volleyball championship match. It was the most watched show on ESPN2 this month. Up 28% from 2019!

202(1)0: 696K (Kentucky vs. Texas)
2019: 533K (Stanford vs. Wisc)
2018: 938K (Stanford vs. Neb)
2017: 1 mil (Neb vs. Florida)
2016: 576K (Stanford vs. Texas)

(per Holly Rowe and David A Portney on Twitter) 

Really wish ESPN did a much better job promoting volleyball.

It's a great sport, that more folks would watch if it was given more attention on SportsCenter

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Really wish ESPN did a much better job promoting volleyball.

It's a great sport, that more folks would watch if it was given more attention on SportsCenter

Completely agree.  It is by far, IMO, the most exciting of the women’s sports.  It demonstrates a level of athleticism that basketball, and to a lesser degree, softball do not achieve.

Avery Skinner from UK (Katy, TX) is rumored to be grad transferring to Baylor and has recently followed several of the players...seems she wants to see if she can win 2 National Championships on 2 different teams. 

Penn State just picked up 2 grad transferring OHs who were multi-year starters at Minnesota and Maryland who are going to give them the ball-control and hitting that their current OHs lacked. 

Is it bad that I’m hoping for Elliott to bring in an elite, taller setter transfer?

Jhenna did really well, but I don’t think our system is built for a short setter to play front row for us to take home the prize...even Chloe Collins who had major hops for her height (5’7) couldn’t bring in a Natty after 2 attempts...and Jhenna is the same height (with a shorter block reach).  Their blocks ultimately get abused by the the opposing team’s OHs.

And Naomi looks like she gonna need a lot more work to be setting full-time.  Her OOS setting unfortunately reminds of Shook’s and we all now how that went.

Texas has all the pieces to win it all next year, except setter IMO. 

Edited by TexasDPT
  • Hook 'Em 1