Eddie Sutton- deceased at 84

Goo Punch

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

His 1978 Arkansas team was one of my favorite ever.  Sidney Moncrief, Ron Brewer, and Marvin Delph, all 6'4".  If they had had any reasonably competent big man, no one would have beaten them.

Hogs had the misfortune of running into one of best teams in UK history @ the FF and followed that up by running into Larry Bird & ISU the following season in the EE.  IIRC, one of the Triplets hit the game winner vs. ND in that '78 FF Consolation game.  

RIP Coach :(  Like many Longhorn fans, I was not a fan of Eddie Sutton. I did mellow on him quite a lot when he came out for the 1997 UT- OSU game when he gave the UT crowd the Hook 'Em Horns, Eddie Sutton always defended former UT coach Abe Lemons even though they did have some issues with each other. Below is a link to one of their many battles against each other/   

:{url=

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Chris Rock Reaction GIF

Holy fuck I can’t believe I did that to Pitino, who is also a scumbag that unapologetically loved and now feel conflicted about.  Pitino, obviously, being the guy that took over for Sutton who got them out on probation as the scumbag in question.  My brain is melting in my old age

Getting old sucks. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, deadshank said:

Back in junior high (late 70s) my old man and a few of the other dads in the neighborhood got sick of their mentally challenged, long-haired, sorry-assed sons laying around smoking dope, drinking beer and finger-banging the girls and thought we needed to be more serious about basketball.

So, lo and beho, they shipped their mentally challenged, long-haired, sorry-assed, dope smoking, beer drinking, finger banging sons up to U of Arkiesaw in Fayetteville to attend Eddie Sutton's basketball camp for the mentally challenged, long-haired, sorry-assed, dope smoking, beer drinking finger bangers.  Plus the old men got to go on a road trip and drink beer, smoke dope and get away from their bitching old battle axes.

My best friend and I were such shitheads we got enrolled for two week-long sessions instead of the normal one week session. We had some decent basketball skills for 8th graders and were both already over six feet tall, filled out and already shaving; so, our dads were thinking maybe, just maybe this adventure could parlay into someone else paying for college instead of them (narrator: it didn't work out in the long run).

But deadshank? You've only once mentioned Eddie Sutton.  Is there a punch line in here somewhere?

After the first week-long session every other camper went home except for my best friend and me.  During the dead weekend in between sessions, we stayed in the athletic dorm and had free run of the joint.  Of course, we ferreted out the location where the cold beers were kept and helped ourselves.  We drank 6 or 7 coolies a piece while playing bumper pool and discussing our future scholarships at Arkansas and how many cheerleaders we would nail.  We called it a day around 5:30-6:00 pm and threw the evidence away just about 2 minutes before Eddie Sutton strolls in and says "you boys are the only campers here this weekend.  Your dad's must really trust you or they can't stand you enough to leave you here over the weekend.  I'm in charge of you so get in my Town Car, we are going out to grab some supper and go to the movies."

Best friend and I trudge down to his car and pile in with Eddie and his assistant coach, Pat Foster of Lamar U and U of H fame.  We spill into some steak joint in Fayetteville, eat, shoot the shit about basketball, the fineries of bumper pool, finger banging and what have you.  Then it's off to the movies. Eddie springs for everything: steaks, movie tix, popcorns, cokes, Juju beans, Junior Mints, etc.  Dude damn near cleaned out the refreshments case.  

The next day we got to clown around on the court with Moncrief and Delph. Jeez, they were complete ionosphere athletes and great guys.  They treated two dipshit white kids as well as one could.  It was all about basketball with them and everything else was unimportant BS. Mofos could run backward faster than I could run forward.

Eddie and Foster would single us out during the next week-long session and bust our chops over the goofiest stuff. I guess they found us entertaining and knew we could take it in stride.  Finally our two week gig was up and we went back to Texas. 

Fast forward a few years and Arkansas was taking on SMU at Moody Coliseum in Dallas.  Somehow, we were down in the tunnel after the game, minding our own business when the Arkansas locker room door swings open and Eddie walks out to meet the reporters awaiting him for commentary and what not.  Sutton starts to take questions, looks over and sees my best friend and me passing by and calls us by name, walks over, shakes our hands, asks us how we've been doing and notes we aren't any taller and should consider football or golf.   We yuck it up for a moment and let him go back to his business.

I must say he was a pretty good guy in my eyes. 

RIP Eddie.

Now that is a cool story, bro.  Awesome.  Thanks for sharing.

And Moncrief is still one of the best defenders I have ever seen.  I was just starting to follow the NBA at the tail end of his prime.  His game would translate very well into this era.  And you let him focus on the three pointer he would have been more than competent BTA.  I hate Arkiesaw, but always loved his game.  Was an infant when he was at Arkie anyway,.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

RIP Coach. I'm surprised he lasted this long. He had his demons and they are now put to rest. I'll always have the memories.

One thing I didn't realize until he died is the impact he had on OSU hoops. Looks like y'all had been wandering in the desert for at least a couple of decades before his hiring.

Dude probably cut some corners and rode a fine line between right and wrong, but there's no doubting he could coach. That 2003-04 team was awesome. Can still picture Joey Graham thunder-dunking on my 'Horns.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 8:03 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

One thing I didn't realize until he died is the impact he had on OSU hoops. Looks like y'all had been wandering in the desert for at least a couple of decades before his hiring.

Dude probably cut some corners and rode a fine line between right and wrong, but there's no doubting he could coach. That 2003-04 team was awesome. Can still picture Joey Graham thunder-dunking on my 'Horns.

Kind of late on this thread, but yeah for sure.  OSU hoops really had two eras of greatness: Iba and Sutton. Outside of that we've really been pretty meh.

The Sutton years were especially sweet because it pretty much coincided with my college/post-college years and we were mostly terrible at football that entire time, so having a borderline elite basketball program was a nice consolation.

Old/smaller GIA was absolutely bonkers when I was in school.  The 1995 Final Four run happened my sophomore year at OSU and it was by far the most awesome sports thing that happened when I was in school.  It was just so unexpected. We knew were were a good team, having finished second to Kansas in the Big 8 regular season and then winning the Big 8 tournament, but I don't think any of us expected that team to run to the Final Four.  It was just so goddamn awesome.

My favorite Eddie team was definitely that 2003-04 team. It was really Eddie's one team that could have/should have won the national title. (That '95 team was really good, but the UCLA team that beat us in the Final Four and won the title was just better.)  Losing to Georgia Tech on the last-second Will Bynum layup in the '04 Final Four still stings, because (a) we were a better team than GT - we just picked the absolute worst time to basically play our one of our worst games of the year and (b) we were a much better matchup for the Okafor UConn team and I think we would have beaten them in the finals.  Oh well.

Eddie's accomplishments at OSU were pretty damn impressive. Two Final Fours, another 4 Sweet Sixteen appearances, 2 conference championships, plus 3 conference tournament championships; 14 NCAA tournament appearances in 16 seasons.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 2