Ryan Leaf is Ryan Leafing once again.

markstanco

Stop dude.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29212949/former-qb-ryan-leaf-arrested-domestic-battery-charge

Former quarterback and current ESPN college football analyst Ryan Leaf was arrested Friday on a charge of misdemeanor domestic battery.

Leaf was arrested around 2 p.m. in Palm Desert, California, and booked into the Larry D. Smith Correctional Facility of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department, according to online jail records.

He was released Friday night on $5,000 bail, according to the records. His next court date is Sept. 25.

Leaf, 44, starred at Washington State and finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1997, when he led the Cougars to the Rose Bowl.

He was the No. 2 overall draft pick of the San Diego Chargers in 1998 but had just a four-year NFL career before his personal life fell apart.

Leaf dealt with drug addiction and spent two years in prison after being arrested in 2012 for breaking into a home in his native Montana to steal prescription drugs and for violating a probation order out of Texas.

After his release, Leaf worked to recover and built a new career in sportscasting.

He was hired by ESPN ahead of the 2019 college football season. Leaf also worked for the Pac-12 Network last season and has been co-hosting a show on SiriusXM's Pac-12 channel.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I read about the Ryan Leafs, Roy Tarpleys, celeb / athlete etc of the world and know a few regular schmoes that bear similar crosses.  After the initial "stunned and saddened" reaction to their situation I pause to think how can this kind of life be endured? What is it like? Is it just another Wednesday for them or do they realize the swath of devastation they cut?

wow

• Like 3

Sorry to hear it.  I saw him last fall speaking at a "second chance for arrestees" foundation fund raiser and was favorably impressed by his candor, speaking ability and what appeared to be true fitness.  He got hooked on opiates following an injury, poor play and booing from home fans, I believe after just a few games of his rookie season.  Looked as if he could suit up and play.  Said he had a new baby and a new wife that were his pride and joy.  Steve Sax Syndrome?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

I read about the Ryan Leafs, Roy Tarpleys, celeb / athlete etc of the world and know a few regular schmoes that bear similar crosses.  After the initial "stunned and saddened" reaction to their situation I pause to think how can this kind of life be endured? What is it like? Is it just another Wednesday for them or do they realize the swath of devastation they cut?

wow

Well stated. Demons are hell.

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

wow

For an active addict, that is the cycle of despair that often continues use.  The only way you can live with yourself is to be boiled as an owl.  A lot of the time, it doesn't take these major depredations to feel that way.  Any little thing will do.  At some point, though, getting schmasted doesn't relieve that psychological pain.  So it's either suicide or make a change.

And the change isn't just stopping usage.  One really has to readjust the way one thinks and interfaces with the world.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I’m just weeks into recovery, so I do have sympathy. But this guy can’t get out of his own way. I could see this getting really dark if he is fired, and he turns back to what he knows...drugs. If he’s not already back on them. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Sorry to hear it.  I saw him last fall speaking at a "second chance for arrestees" foundation fund raiser and was favorably impressed by his candor, speaking ability and what appeared to be true fitness.  He got hooked on opiates following an injury, poor play and booing from home fans, I believe after just a few games of his rookie season.  Looked as if he could suit up and play.  Said he had a new baby and a new wife that were his pride and joy.  Steve Sax Syndrome?

Went to the wiki page: Dave Sax (Steve's nephew) has addiction issues.  Steve Sax had trouble throwing to first base.

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

Stop dude.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29212949/former-qb-ryan-leaf-arrested-domestic-battery-charge

Former quarterback and current ESPN college football analyst Ryan Leaf was arrested Friday on a charge of misdemeanor domestic battery.

Leaf was arrested around 2 p.m. in Palm Desert, California, and booked into the Larry D. Smith Correctional Facility of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department, according to online jail records.

He was released Friday night on $5,000 bail, according to the records. His next court date is Sept. 25.

Leaf, 44, starred at Washington State and finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1997, when he led the Cougars to the Rose Bowl.

He was the No. 2 overall draft pick of the San Diego Chargers in 1998 but had just a four-year NFL career before his personal life fell apart.

Leaf dealt with drug addiction and spent two years in prison after being arrested in 2012 for breaking into a home in his native Montana to steal prescription drugs and for violating a probation order out of Texas.

After his release, Leaf worked to recover and built a new career in sportscasting.

He was hired by ESPN ahead of the 2019 college football season. Leaf also worked for the Pac-12 Network last season and has been co-hosting a show on SiriusXM's Pac-12 channel.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Don't talk to me alright! Knock it off!!

47 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I mean this dude has lived in drugs arrests etc and still landed a good gig at espn. I mean damn espn 

Are you saying drug addicts don't deserve decent jobs?  Or just the ones that get arrested?  Or what?

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Are you saying drug addicts don't deserve decent jobs?  Or just the ones that get arrested?  Or what?

I assume that in jobs involving publicity one might question whether you can trust somebody with his past from embarrassing you publicly. Celebrities can come back from drugs and alcohol but rarely from wife beating these days. There isn’t much detail but a usually what domestic battery means.

Edited by 'stache

He was Panhandle Aggie for a while, you know

Leaf Effing Up at West Texas A&M

“If you were a player and you were hurt and a doctor prescribed painkillers, you would get a visit from the quarterback coach,” Farren said. “It didn’t matter if you were a lineman or a linebacker or a cornerback, Ryan Leaf would visit you, and when he left, half your drugs would be missing.”

• Haha 1

he certainly has had plenty of chances, but in this case I will wait to see what plays out.....if he harmed someone then put him away. but...

when you are a guy in a situation like his you have to be extremely careful who you date and hang out with because a lot of crazy is going to be attracted to you

he is still famous, makes pretty good money, I assume he is decent looking to women, but of course he has a shit tonne of baggage and that means a lot of less than crazy females will shy away from him and the more crazy ones will be all the more attracted to him....including some that know they can freak out and get the benefit of the doubt over a guy with his past

if he beat someone or harmed them he should get the max,  but when you have baggae like his yet you still have other things going for you like fame and money (better than average even if not rich) the crazies are going to come out of the woodwork and have no issue being crazy and trying to fuck with you because they know you have to hold back and you will not get the benefit of the doubt with the cops/law

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

he certainly has had plenty of chances, but in this case I will wait to see what plays out.....if he harmed someone then put him away. but...

when you are a guy in a situation like his you have to be extremely careful who you date and hang out with because a lot of crazy is going to be attracted to you

he is still famous, makes pretty good money, I assume he is decent looking to women, but of course he has a shit tonne of baggage and that means a lot of less than crazy females will shy away from him and the more crazy ones will be all the more attracted to him....including some that know they can freak out and get the benefit of the doubt over a guy with his past

if he beat someone or harmed them he should get the max,  but when you have baggae like his yet you still have other things going for you like fame and money (better than average even if not rich) the crazies are going to come out of the woodwork and have no issue being crazy and trying to fuck with you because they know you have to hold back and you will not get the benefit of the doubt with the cops/law

This is where I’m at.  He may have gone of (or on) the rails, or may have found himself in a bad situation due to bad choices.  TBD.

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

I assume that in jobs involving publicity one might question whether you can trust somebody with his past from embarrassing you publicly. Celebrities can come back from drugs and alcohol but rarely from wife beating these days. There isn’t much detail but a usually what domestic battery means.

Domestic violence is kind of a third rail at the moment.  But, afaik, Leaf just had drug problems prior to being hired by espn.

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep. Multiple drug offenses. Burglary probation jail sentencing etc. and through all that still landed high paying gigs while lower level colleagues and friends who had minor run ins with the law can’t land a job to save their life.  The whole have you ever been convicted of a crime on job applications question.  I’m sure you have your own opinion and that’s great but the rules for celebs and the common man is fucking lame. Dude did all that trash and was still able to land a dream gig without penalty while anyone else would be working for scentsy or a pay day loan shark 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Yep. Multiple drug offenses. Burglary probation jail sentencing etc. and through all that still landed high paying gigs while lower level colleagues and friends who had minor run ins with the law can’t land a job to save their life.  The whole have you ever been convicted of a crime on job applications question.  I’m sure you have your own opinion and that’s great but the rules for celebs and the common man is fucking lame. Dude did all that trash and was still able to land a dream gig without penalty while anyone else would be working for scentsy or a pay day loan shark 

I don't really think very many people consider Ryan Leaf to be some sort of huge celebrity. And i think spending time in prison for stealing drugs from someone else's house counts as being penalized.

I dunno, maybe Ryan Leaf got an analyst job because he's an interesting dude that people like to listen to.

I doubt working for the pac12 network on satellite radio and games on ESPN 7 is a dream job. I would be shocked if he made 100k doing that gig.

11 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Fair enough.

I think that's a product more of our celebrity worshiping culture than collateral consequences of criminal convictions.  Even if Leaf is a minor celebrity more notable for his failures than successes.

At some level, though, I think the giving of second (or third or fourth) chances to celebrity types may trickle down to more prosaic jobs.  I don't know.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

I just saw Ryan Leaf back in January at a business event.  He was the guest motivational speaker and he was actually quite good.  Very humble and honest about his addictions, prison time, etc...  He said he had been sober for a while and was mentoring former addicts and also working with college players to help them understand the dangers of drugs and also the danger of thinking you are “the shit” when you really aren’t.  He said his whole life he was told how awesome he was by hanger ons that eventually you lose perspective of who and what you really are.  Due to his painkiller addiction he realized his personality leads to addiction of basically everything.  He even talked about his opportunity with ESPN and what a blessing it has been.  Really seemed like a guy who had fixed his life for the better.

On 5/24/2020 at 11:20 AM, deadshank said:

Steve Sax is no Chuck Knoblauch. 

On 5/24/2020 at 11:03 AM, Bullneck said:

Went to the wiki page: Dave Sax (Steve's nephew) has addiction issues.  Steve Sax had trouble throwing to first base.

Wasn't  Steve Sax the "I had to check to see if me wallet was still there" after being around several players speaking Spanish guy?

2 hours ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Wasn't  Steve Sax the "I had to check to see if me wallet was still there" after being around several players speaking Spanish guy?

That's funny, I didn't know that.  Those were the days of Valenzuela and Pedro Guerrero.