Post a Texas Football photo that isn't as well known as it should be

Goo Punch

The Texas Longhorns had lost 10 straight games when they welcomed the Texas A&M Aggies to Memorial Stadium in Austin for the 1938 edition of the annual Thanksgiving rivalry. Longhorn fans didn’t harbor much optimism for a win, considering the varsity team had lost a scrimmage to its own freshman team a week earlier. But with halfback Nelson Pruett’s diving touchdown (pictured), Texas took the lead and held on for a 7-6 win, blocking an Aggie extra-point attempt with 20 seconds to play. Texas coach Dana Bible later called it “the happiest day in all my years of coaching,” writer Bobby Hawthorne recounted in Longhorn Football: An Illustrated History.

di_02788_pub.jpg.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Alex Karev said:

If  this Campbell kid could just gain some weight, experience, and strength he might make it to the NFL and truck somebody named Jack Lambert.

Surprise Omg GIF by P.O.S.

jack.jpgAfter The Tyler Rose ran him over more than once in a single Monday Night ABC national televised game.

I will never forget this game.

6628b1eab6a1743567fcae0af2da7f7c.jpg

What could have been if Edwin Simmons's legs were of equal length. One was a half inch longer than the other, which led to knee problems, which led to us having no offense in 1983, thereby negating the best defense in UT history, and enabling fucking Georgia to...whatever...Laugh all you want about his shroom addled nekkid escapades after he'd become a JAG, but pre-injury he was poised to have joined the canon of great Longhorn backs, and had he done so, there might not have been the rapid descent into shitdom of the mid and late Akers period.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

The Texas Longhorns had lost 10 straight games when they welcomed the Texas A&M Aggies to Memorial Stadium in Austin for the 1938 edition of the annual Thanksgiving rivalry. Longhorn fans didn’t harbor much optimism for a win, considering the varsity team had lost a scrimmage to its own freshman team a week earlier. But with halfback Nelson Pruett’s diving touchdown (pictured), Texas took the lead and held on for a 7-6 win, blocking an Aggie extra-point attempt with 20 seconds to play. Texas coach Dana Bible later called it “the happiest day in all my years of coaching,” writer Bobby Hawthorne recounted in Longhorn Football: An Illustrated History.

di_02788_pub.jpg.

You can tell just from looking at 66 and 67 that it was an aggy game.

• Like 1

Can't find it but I remember a picture from spring practice from when Kindle early enrolled. He's standing next to Bobino, and it looked like Sergio brought his kid brother to practice.  But Kindle should have been in high school still and Bobino started the previous season. 

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

6628b1eab6a1743567fcae0af2da7f7c.jpg

What could have been if Edwin Simmons's legs were of equal length. One was a half inch longer than the other, which led to knee problems, which led to us having no offense in 1983, thereby negating the best defense in UT history, and enabling fucking Georgia to...whatever...Laugh all you want about his shroom addled nekkid escapades after he'd become a JAG, but pre-injury he was poised to have joined the canon of great Longhorn backs, and had he done so, there might not have been the rapid descent into shitdom of the mid and late Akers period.

In my 50 years of watching the Longhorns I’m not sure there was.a RB I was more excited about than Simmons. That fucker just seemed amazing in my 22 year old eyes. Not discounting Earl or any other great backs before but it seemed like we just needed a badass back at that time and he was the next Messiah of Texas football to me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dilligas said:

In my 50 years of watching the Longhorns I’m not sure there was.a RB I was more excited about than Simmons. That fucker just seemed amazing in my 22 year old eyes. Not discounting Earl or any other great backs before but it seemed like we just needed a badass back at that time and he was the next Messiah of Texas football to me.

I was 12 and exiled with my Texan family in Nashville when he was recruited -- my dad subscribed to some magazine and I read we'd landed a 6'3" ****** from a little town called Hawkins....Basically we got none of the games that year on Nashville TV, but my dad got us copies of the newspapers from Dallas after that RRS breakout performance, and I cut all this pictures out of the paper and plastered them on my wall. A week or so later we played Pig and he got hurt on the first play of the game on some nondescript run up the middle and that was effectively all she wrote for Edwin Simmons...Remember at around the same time, SMU got Reggie Dupard and OU got Marcus Dupree and it seemed like all of us had these Cadillac backs and none of them panned out like anybody hoped. 

36 minutes ago, Dilligas said:

My first UT game to attend was as a senior in high school in 1983.  I went to the Rice game where Simmons broke one off for about 70 or 80 yards.  I was so excited about what that year was going to bring and to know that I would be seeing him in person for the next few years as i would be attending UT the next year.  Little did I know at that time what was to come.

Being from the Longview area I knew all about Simmons as he was covered at length each Saturday morning in the Longview News Journal.  Of course this was before instant highlights on TV and the internet so I could only imagine what he was doing to others albeit he was from a small school.  It is a shame about his knees.  He was special.

31 minutes ago, skeeter said:

Tom Landry on the right, correct?

Yes. Bobby Layne, Paul Campbell, and Tom Landry.   By this time, Tom had already piloted 30 combat missions of Europe in a B-17 Flying Fortress and survived a crash in Belgium after his bomber ran out of fuel. Also, Tom is in a reserve QB roll here, a guy who would play that position only if Layne and Campbell were injured and could not play. Landry saw playing time as a defensive back and also as a fullback during his time in Austin.  I am not sure what happened to Paul Campbell but I always picture him sitting in a bar in Idaho watching the Cowboys on TV during the 1970s and telling anybody who would listen that he beat Landry out for QB at Texas.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Like 4

On 5/28/2020 at 9:41 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

I am not sure what happened to Paul Campbell but I always picture him sitting in a bar in Idaho watching the Cowboys on TV during the 1970s and telling anybody who would listen that he beat Landry out for QB at Texas.

After college he settled in Tyler, met a girl named Ann, and quietly raised his family on a rose farm.  At least I think that's the guy, I'm not good with faces.

10 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Isn’t there a photo of Landry as an intramural boxing champion? Or was it as Sigma Chi Fight Night champion?

That one is for boxing. I searched for him and I guess the boxing one was single pictures rather than a group photo 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

I found his name on this site earlier this spring and had to do some research. Damn shame.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2017/01/17/rb-relative-athletic-scores-ras-table/

What was your source for said research?

There are a few Edwin Simmons highlights in this video, the first coming at 1:38

That was my redshirt Senior year...

as a student. 

And Wally Pryor at 2:18 with about as much excitement as his pipes could muster. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

On 5/27/2020 at 9:42 PM, Dilligas said:

The thing that I notice is that Simmons and C David Jones are not wearing same color uniform. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 9:10 AM, skeeter said:

Tom Landry on the right, correct?

I always think of the nonsense that Landry put up with from guys like Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson in the 1970s.  Landry must have been looking at Hollywood and thinking [Walter Sobcek voice] "I didn't get shot out of the sky and watch my fellow airmen die face down in the muck during World War II to have to put up with this crap." [/Walter Sobcek voice]

1941, Texas vs. Texas A&M - Texas end Wally Scott blocks the punt of A&M's Derace Moser during third-quarter action at Kyle Field. The Longhorns would go on to upset the second-ranked Aggies 23-0.
csd7pgQ.jpg
1946, Dana X. Bible - Texas head coach Dana X. Bible squats on the sidelines as the Longhorns roll to a 24-7 victory over Texas A&M on Thanksgiving Day, 1946. It would be the final game of Bible's coaching career.
wLtk7pa.png
1948 Sugar Bowl - Texas' Bobby Layne (22) shakes hands with Alabama's Harry Gilmer (52) before kickoff in Tulane Stadium. Layne would receive the Sugar Bowl's very first MVP award after the Longhorns' 27-7 victory, and was reportedly seen drinking hurricanes out of the trophy in the French Quarter that night.
T0Qkgof.jpg
1968, Texas vs. Texas A&M - Texas fullback Steve Worster takes a handoff during the annual rivalry game against Texas A&M. The Longhorns would roll to a 35-14 victory.
image.png

I wish I could have seen Bobby Layne play and then party with him afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The+University+of+Texas+Quarterback+Colt+McCoy+Scores+a+Rushing+Touchdown+Against+Ohio+State+in+the+2009+Fiesta+Bowl.bmp
img012.jpg
KUSVH5K3KVCU7LWA4TLQZCF7SQ.jpg
Thomas was so great in that game. It's almost a shame that his efforts will always be overshadowed by super Vince. He played a hell of a game and bailed VY out at least a couple of times with great catches on marginal throws. Unsung hero.