The Leftovers - HBO

futureman

search indicates no thread.  I read that this series has a good ending.  also have read that it is pretty good.  watched episodes 1 and 2 last night during the storm and they seemed all right.  anyone have strong opinions about this show?  worth ~30 hours of one’s life or no?

It's a slow burn but gets really good by the end of season 1.  Each season has a pretty different feel iirc. Max Richter did the score which is very heavy and beautiful. 

It did feel like they got too far off the path a few times, but it was a good show and stayed interesting until the end. 

• Like 1

It is fucking great. The first season is hard to watch at times, the show runner even said he made himself depressed making it. But seasons 2 and 3 are amazing. Not that season 1 isn’t good, it is. But the last two are on a different level. 

11 hours ago, PilotsError said:

On TOS this show was compared to the very top shows like BB and Sopranos.  It is NOT on that level, but a level below.

I personally loved the ending and think she was telling the truth.  Won't go further to detail.  

I personally liked it more than either of those shows once it got into the crazier stuff starting in season 2.

The Leftovers is a must watch.

• Like 3

It is fucking great. The first season is hard to watch at times, the show runner even said he made himself depressed making it. But seasons 2 and 3 are amazing. Not that season 1 isn’t good, it is. But the last two are on a different level. 

All of this. One of my top 5 favorite shows.

Loved the show. Score was fantastic. Loved the theme song for seasons 2 and 3. Been thinking about ordering HBO Extra or whatever it's called just to watch it again.

There were also some really good landmark episodes even though they were all good. I remember the preacher's episode in Season 1 was so good.

There are only three seasons so you don't have to invest a ton of time. You'll be glad you did.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

Season 1 was good, but grim as fuck.  Season 2 was transcendent, and season 3 was excellent.  Lindelof as showrunner seems to be much better expanding upon, rather than tying him self to, source material like he was in Season 1.  Like with Watchmen, he was excellent at using the ideas and plot points from the original book and Season 1 as a basis for his own story and themes in Seasons 2 and 3.  

Guest Lobo

Anybody remember, because it's not really germane to the plot (and it was obviously a first half of S1 episode), the episode where somebody was watching the news (I'm guessing somebody in the Garvey household or maybe Nora), and on the one year anniversary of the sudden departure?  And on that news broadcast "show-within-a-show", they're going through the list of celebrities, athletes, politicians, et. al. who died?  I remember Shaq and then later we find out most of the cast of Perfect Strangers.  But it was a 60-second reel inside the show of names?  Anybody remember what I'm talking about?  

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2014/06/which-celebritys-have-been-raptured-in-hbos-the-leftovers/373568/

Toward the end of the pilot, which airs Sunday, we follow our protagonist Justin Theroux's Kevin Garvey to a bar where a television station is airing a program commemorating the three-year anniversary of the departure. As two talking heads debate what it all means, photos of celebrities flash by with the chyron "Remembering the 'Victims' of the Sudden Departure." Those that left the Earth were: 

• Condoleezza Rice 
  • Salman Rushdie
  • Shaquille O'Neal
  • Jennifer Lopez
  • Anthony Bourdain
  • Gary Busey
  • Bonnie Raitt 
  • Pope Benedict XVI

I'm one of the people who also consider it one of my personal favorites, if not favorite show ever. Season 2 is my favorite season of TV so far.

I think I've found difficulty recommending it to people because a lot of people aren't down to dwell in darkness for extended periods of time. It will make you live around those feelings of despair and explore them a bit, but I found the payoff to be amazing. You gotta be willing to think about the story, there's no "answer" if that's what you're looking for. 

Oh, on TOS I posted some photos of happily stumbling upon them filming Season 3 in the middle of Lockhart. Awesome story/day. A friend and I made a day trip from Austin, doing the rounds, drinking beer and eating at a picnic table outside of Black's and wondering what the hell kind of festival is going on in downtown Lockhart. There's a bunch of camping tents out in the middle of the square, all on the street. Then I start to notice a bunch of hippie-looking people walking around the square. Which is when I noticed something else is up, because Lockhart doesn't strike me as the type of town where hippies would be invited to have a festival. So we wander over to the square and it took me a few minutes before I realized we're on the fucking set of what became the first episodes of Season 3. Theroux was in his Police uni across the street, and Carrie Coon's fine ass was walking with an assistant within arm's reach, right past me. Eventually somebody realized two Mexican bros looked out of place as fuck on the set and they shooed us off. The big floating Gary Busey was up at this point (and the man on the tower). Pretty cool. 

Guest Lobo
56 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Carrie Coon is great.  Don’t ignore the Swedish doctor either (also Man In Black’s daughter in Westworld).

Easily in or near top tier of HBO series. 

that woman's ass is just absolutely spectacular.  And she plays a proficient scientist in Manhattan, the Leftovers, and it's hinted that she's a scientist/engineer of some sort in Westworld.  So that means her ass smarts as good as it smacks.  Having said that, I'd like to wear it as a hat.  

I just plowed through episodes 6 & 7.  what’s the deal with the 1972 national geographic?  and the dog in the backyard?  and the bite on kevin’s hand looked like a bite from a human?  and what did he say to aimee when she bandaged him up?  and why can’t he remember that night, was he blacked out drunk or having a psychotic episode?  is kevin going crazy like pop?  should I keep watching?

14 minutes ago, futureman said:

I just plowed through episodes 6 & 7.  what’s the deal with the 1972 national geographic?  and the dog in the backyard?  and the bite on kevin’s hand looked like a bite from a human?  and what did he say to aimee when she bandaged him up?  and why can’t he remember that night, was he blacked out drunk or having a psychotic episode?  is kevin going crazy like pop?  should I keep watching?

Don't expect everything to be revealed (this isn't Murder She Wrote).

Enjoy the ride.

Yes keep watching.  Seasons 2 and 3 keep getting better.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

What hooked me right away was the acting performance of Justin Therioux. Played the part perfectly of someone who is truly tormented 

Theroux did an amazing job in this series.

9 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Don't expect everything to be revealed (this isn't Murder She Wrote).

Enjoy the ride.

Yes keep watching.  Seasons 2 and 3 keep getting better.

And this.

Guest Lobo

Strangely, while 2% of the world's population vanished in the Sudden Departure.....fully 92% of the world's rideshare drivers vanished in it as well.  So it was really tough to hail a ride.