The Leftovers - HBO

futureman

earlier in the thread there were some posts about some assassin episode.  so I looked it up and the synopsis on google says

Kevin faces hard choices as he attempts to vanquish Patti on an unexpected battlefield. After he emerges from the realm of the undead, Michael is waiting.”

now, I really enjoyed season one and I fully trust all of you that season two is great, and I will watch it, but that sounds ridiculous.  patti still alive?  realm of the undead?  if it weren’t for all of the rave reviews I’d be very skeptical after reading that.  but instead I’m very much looking forward to seeing how vanquishing zombie patti on a supernatural battlefield will equate to good television.  popcorn is ready. 

• Like 1

They filmed a scene at the carwash on North Loop across the street from my house. I hung out at the car lot next door drinking beer with the maintenance man who spoke no English and we watched them for several hours. The scene was like 45 seconds long. /csb

just got through season 2 episode 5.  so what happened to all the goddamn water in the pond?  nobody in town is curious about that?   I thought it was fucking stupid when matt and mary couldn’t get back in to town.  they lived there and worked there; it was stupid and lazy writing that they wouldn’t be able to get back in.  and did matt bang his vegetable wife or did she actually wake up for three hours?  did matt volunteer for the pillory because he felt guilty for banging an invalid?  and dumping your eggplant wife on your sister and her boyfriend is no small ask, either.  so nora and kevin have to bathe her and feed her and wipe her dirty ass?  that’s a lot to deal with so matt can go ponder the spiritual consequences of rape.  and what the hell was up with the guy having matt hit him with the oar while yelling ‘brian’?  what’s going on in australia?  is kevin sr. the prophet down there?

7 hours ago, futureman said:

just got through season 2 episode 5.  so what happened to all the goddamn water in the pond?  nobody in town is curious about that?   I thought it was fucking stupid when matt and mary couldn’t get back in to town.  they lived there and worked there; it was stupid and lazy writing that they wouldn’t be able to get back in.  and did matt bang his vegetable wife or did she actually wake up for three hours?  did matt volunteer for the pillory because he felt guilty for banging an invalid?  and dumping your eggplant wife on your sister and her boyfriend is no small ask, either.  so nora and kevin have to bathe her and feed her and wipe her dirty ass?  that’s a lot to deal with so matt can go ponder the spiritual consequences of rape.  and what the hell was up with the guy having matt hit him with the oar while yelling ‘brian’?  what’s going on in australia?  is kevin sr. the prophet down there?

Saying what the fuck was that is pretty much the show.  Just a fun ride.

7 hours ago, futureman said:

also, very cool to get a heavy dose of central texas on an HBO show.  it looked like some of the laurie/tommy scenes were in austin but they are supposed to still be in mapleton, correct?

One was filmed at the Jim’s on burnet/183. Pretty sure that they don’t have Jim’s up in NY. Totally unbelievable!

13 hours ago, futureman said:

no.  I want all the answers spoon-fed to me.  does all this stuff at least get cleared up by the end?

Debatable.  Some swear they see the top start to wobble before credits roll, others say he's still in the dream.

On 5/31/2020 at 11:50 AM, futureman said:

no.  I want all the answers spoon-fed to me.  does all this stuff at least get cleared up by the end?

I forget what the synopsis is for the series finale it - it's something like "All of the questions are answered, and none of them are."

That's pretty accurate. It is a fucking great show, and the ride is worth it. I might start it over again, because the wife didn't catch the first half of the first season anyway. 

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

tengo another pregunta.  in some of these season two episodes I’ve heard the term “secondary departures” mentioned.  to what is that referring?  did some people vanish after the initial departure on oct 14?

Evie and her friends are considered secondary departures until they aren’t 

19 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Evie and her friends are considered secondary departures until they aren’t 

I figured that.  but I heard the term mentioned before the girls vanished.  so between the jarden events and oct 14 were there other “secondaries”?

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

I figured that.  but I heard the term mentioned before the girls vanished.  so between the jarden events and oct 14 were there other “secondaries”?

Nora goes into it more during her episodes. But in her mind the Departure was a one off, all the others she investigated were fakes. 

23 hours ago, futureman said:

what the fuck!  kevin just drank poison and the old black man blew his brains out.  intl assassin up next. 

so why did nora throw a rock through the murphy‘s window? 

Ha. Classic Nora 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

how does season 3 compare to 2?  better or worse?

Definitely not as good as season 2, but it's also better. Also, you get way more answers, but also you get none.

I think it's the 2nd best season. Its also a crazy fun ride, not so much like season 1. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 1:30 PM, DDD Dad said:

Carrie Coon is great.  Don’t ignore the Swedish doctor either (also Man In Black’s daughter in Westworld).

Easily in or near top tier of HBO series. 

Katja Herbers, she has some nekkid scenes out there, worth a look.

I'm on s1e6, and I'm struggling. It just meanders, and I dont give a shit about any of them.

Is it worth fighting through, or am I just not going to get it?

Yes.

Possibly.

That’s part of the allure. Just enjoy the ride.

Seriously.

25 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

I'm on s1e6, and I'm struggling. It just meanders, and I dont give a shit about any of them.

Is it worth fighting through, or am I just not going to get it?

I’m plowing through for the first time right now, too.  agree that season one is slow but it‘s necessary to establish some things about the characters.  I am through season two and have enjoyed it, though not as much as some of the others who have commented here.  I will say that it is definitely unique, and only gets more so in season two.  I actually found the old threads for it on shaggy and followed along with the old commentary there after watching the episodes these last couple weeks.  and most of the commentary in season one was how much the show sucked ass, too slow, etc, and lots of shitting on lindelof.  but season one finishes strong.  and season two is better television but also worth it for central texas.  lots of austin and lockhart and surrounding area. 

I watched the final episode this morning. Doesn’t resolve everything but still as close to a satisfying conclusion as you’re going to get. I’d rant on about ‘Lost’ but watched the original airings and have no desire to go back and watch it again, shitty ending aside. This stuck with me and I’ll probably watch it again during the next pandemic 

On 6/1/2020 at 3:15 PM, hornian said:

I forget what the synopsis is for the series finale it - it's something like "All of the questions are answered, and none of them are."

That's pretty accurate. It is a fucking great show, and the ride is worth it. I might start it over again, because the wife didn't catch the first half of the first season anyway. 

Well to me the whole essence of the show is based on a theme of not knowing what happened. The different ways people tried to cope with the loss is what made the show interesting and thought-provoking 

Edited by immortal13
  • Like 1

into season three.  beautiful start with the incineration of that worthless cunt meg and all her little lemmings.  wtf laurie and john are two-bit grifters and also banging each other now?  I thought laurie was a woman of integrity and now she and john are running a little scam?  and what the hell happened to john and his convictions?  I guess jill sits most of this season out because she’s a longhorn now?  and what the shit was that at the end of episode one with old hag nora riding a bicycle and playing with pigeons in australia while denying any knowledge of kevin’s existence.  this show is fucking out there. 

2 hours ago, futureman said:

into season three.  beautiful start with the incineration of that worthless cunt meg and all her little lemmings.  wtf laurie and john are two-bit grifters and also banging each other now?  I thought laurie was a woman of integrity and now she and john are running a little scam?  and what the hell happened to john and his convictions?  I guess jill sits most of this season out because she’s a longhorn now?  and what the shit was that at the end of episode one with old hag nora riding a bicycle and playing with pigeons in australia while denying any knowledge of kevin’s existence.  this show is fucking out there. 

Patience grasshopper. In do time.