The Leftovers - HBO

futureman

On 6/3/2020 at 10:55 PM, TexasHooch said:

I'm on s1e6, and I'm struggling. It just meanders, and I dont give a shit about any of them.

Is it worth fighting through, or am I just not going to get it?

If you like a good bait and switch ending, this is the series for you.  

after finishing and thinking about it for a bit my conclusion is that nora was full of shit at the end.  not in a bad way.  it was just a good story, like the nun said about the birds.  but going to the other side and then not talking to your kids and then finding the scientist and having him build another machine for her to come back?  as if he wouldn’t have already done that.  she bailed on the vaporizer machine at the last second and lived a new life alone in australia. 

14 minutes ago, futureman said:

after finishing and thinking about it for a bit my conclusion is that nora was full of shit at the end.  not in a bad way.  it was just a good story, like the nun said about the birds.  but going to the other side and then not talking to your kids and then finding the scientist and having him build another machine for her to come back?  as if he wouldn’t have already done that.  she bailed on the vaporizer machine at the last second and lived a new life alone in australia. 

I think that's what's great, honestly. You can choose to believe her story, or not. It doesn't change the rest of the experiences or the relationships or the growth. In fact, it doesn't matter if it's true or not. Nora and Kevin needed time to heal on their own. They got it. They can move on. 

But it was a really good monologue. And she told it so well!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, futureman said:

what was the bait and switch?  I just finished it.  didn’t really feel like a bait and switch.  or were you joking?

Not joking.  Thought the main character, Kevin, was focus of story until towards the ending when it became all about Nora.  

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 8:17 PM, futureman said:

anyone know where the swimming in hole jarden is?  mckinney falls?

Yes. McKinney falls. 

Jarden is Lockhart. 

Purgatory Hotel is the Sheraton on 11th and I35. 

Location of the bridge is immediately south of ABIA - Richard Moya Park.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hornian said:

I think that's what's great, honestly. You can choose to believe her story, or not. It doesn't change the rest of the experiences or the relationships or the growth. In fact, it doesn't matter if it's true or not. Nora and Kevin needed time to heal on their own. They got it. They can move on. 

good stuff 👌 

On 6/10/2020 at 4:09 PM, futureman said:

Agreed.  However, I'm not sure if I think Kevin knew it was B.S., but just wanted to things to be normal between them that he went along with it, or if he was just so happy to finally find her and know she's okay that he just blindly accepted her story.

There are plenty of planes, but not enough pilots since any intercontinental flight requires two pilots (I'm assuming they forego the international flight relief officer).  But there's apparently plenty of boats which require a much larger crew for a longer period of time.  

I'm on team, #Nora started telling herself that story when she left Kevin and the others and had it down so cold by the time he found her again in Australia.  She did bring up a point that was never really addressed in the first 2+ seasons...those other people are presumably all in another parallel world together.  What's it like for them?  

if the genius scientist was in the upside down, and was able to just throw a new machine together willy-nilly at nora’s request, why wouldn’t he have built ten of them the second he got there and started zapping people back home?  and then there’s laurie.  if everyone thought nora had been vaporized and then ten years later she calls laurie and says “hey, so, I’m back from that other dimension!  can we continue phone therapy?” I just can’t see laurie keeping that to herself, patient confidentiality or not.  

I loved it, though.  last episode was great. 

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

There are plenty of planes, but not enough pilots since any intercontinental flight requires two pilots (I'm assuming they forego the international flight relief officer).  But there's apparently plenty of boats which require a much larger crew for a longer period of time.

I would think the operation and maintenance of a boat is far less complicated than that of a commercial airliner.

54 minutes ago, TriStone said:

I would think the operation and maintenance of a boat is far less complicated than that of a commercial airliner.

The Maintenance of an airliner is far greater, yes.  A smaller, private jet...not so much.  Obviously we're just dissecting a ficticious world as serious fans, but presumably the 150mm people remaining in their world would still provide with a few thousands commercial/military pilots who could easily retrain down to smaller equipment.  However, the operation of a vessel capable of sailing from Port of Houston (near Miracle) to Sydney would be much more demanding.  That's two months, out and back.  A vessel capable of drawing that much water, even with just a handful of passengers aboard, would require a crew of at least a half dozen.  For that long a time.  Her way was much more intensive, and she gives a nod to the effect when she describes "the resources."  Anyway, who cares.  Great monologue.  Gives you something to fun to think about.  A planet the size of Earth, that spread out, with a population of Bangladesh.  Except instead of 500 of us per square mile, there was just was just 10 of us per square mile.  Plus Shaq. 

Edited by Lobo

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

I wonder what gary busey was doing. 

Blow.

Think about Perrotta's long game once he optioned the first season to have source material on his book, and then give them carte blanche on subsequent seasons.  the idea of 2% of the world's population being left behind from a war, pandemic, apocalypse, etc..  It's been explored in a dozen books and a handful of movies/tv shows.  But what if everybody else didn't die, they remained in "the World 1", almost all of us. but then this  group of 150mm people ended up in "the World 2"  Just like the one they left, with the exception of a crappier maintenance program.  No god, no judgement, nothing like that...just a parallel world exactly as when/where they left.   only theirs changes faster than ours does because of the lack of human presence.  20,000 people in Austin instead of 1.0mm.  2% of the pilots, 2% of your relatives, 2% of the farmers, an MLB comprised of just 2 teams of full rosters (and some MiLB) so in "Field of Dreams" style...they could at least play against one another and stop practicing.  There's another Perrotta source-material project in the works about what goes on in that other world there the 2.0% went.  And a great twist will be, maybe all of them didn't end up in the same place, on the same plane.  

Edited by Lobo

• 1 year later...
On 6/12/2020 at 7:17 AM, Tom said:

Agreed.  However, I'm not sure if I think Kevin knew it was B.S., but just wanted to things to be normal between them that he went along with it, or if he was just so happy to finally find her and know she's okay that he just blindly accepted her story.

The whole series crazy shit is happening to Kevin, and only Kevin and us, the viewer , know about it. He is asking Nora to believe him.  Now some crazy shit happened to Nora, and she asks Kevin to believe her. I think she is full of shit too (but it doesn’t really matter), but I think Kevin does believe her

Nora also hints at another premise that Perrotta wanted to explore in another chapter/book.  Nora says what nobody else says in 3 seasons...that over here...we lost them-a few million..but over there...they lost everybody else.  What Tom never really explicitly says, but wants to explore, what if they all didn't go to the same place but were instead scattered through eternity?  that's the real fucking horror show.

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Started watching this because of the good reviews on the Station Eleven thread. Really good and great use of  music like S11. Wasn’t expecting to see Lockhart as the setting for S2. 

It’s not Lockhart, it’s Miracle!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:54 PM, F250 said:

I want to make babies with Carrie Coon. That's all I have to say.

Line starts back there, pal. 

Been happy to see Kevin's daughter starting to become a bit of a star, as well as Evie Murphy, who was a central character in the new Scream movie, and I've also seen a couple other places.