Nikola Jokic deserves his own thread

Goo Punch

Lot of stupid threads have popped up during the suspended season/COVID lockdown, but this isn't one of them. Jokic definitely deserves his own thread.

Love the two-man offense that he and Murray run. Even when they were putting a clinic on my Spurs in last year's playoffs, it was still fun to watch. Genuinely don't know how you stop it other than do your best and hope for a miss.

I lived in Denver for a season and a half (January 2018 - June 2019) and he is just a joy to watch.

His arms look like he was a stretch Armstrong doll and someone just pulled on his arms before he was passed the ball.

He has about a 2" vertical leap, but with those arms and his height, he can still dunk.

He has Magic/Bird type of court vision as well. He sees EVERYTHING.

Denver is a really fun team to watch and he's the biggest single reason for that.

I would love to see see this team evolve around him to the point where we got a Nuggets vs Bucks Finals, just to see these two teams that are built around these two freak players who couldn't be different from one another. I would really enjoy watching that. 

Edited by Goo Punch

that teardrop fade away is fucking devastating. such a badass signature move. 

edit: also note how many and-1's he gets for his teammates. he drops a perfect pass in to a moving target with a defender draped all over him and its a layup +1 all day. such a unique weapon. 

Edited by Goo Punch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Late in yesterday's broadcast, JVG summed up Joker's performance: "He's 5 of 13 from the floor and dominating." 

Haven't seen passing like this since the days of Magic and Bird, except Nikola is taller and even less athletic. I think the reasons he's mostly impervious to double teams are 1) he doesn't panic, and 2) he can always see over the defense due to his height (good luck finding a pair of 7-plus-footers to guard him).

And speaking of defense, Joker's isn't great but it's not terrible, either. Being tall helps.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
Derka already had the video.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Late in yesterday's broadcast, JVG summed up Joker's performance: "He's 5 of 13 from the floor and dominating." 

Haven't seen passing like this since the days of Magic and Bird, except Nikola is taller and even less athletic. I think the reasons he's mostly impervious to double teams are 1) he doesn't panic, and 2) he can always see over the defense due to his height (good luck finding a pair of 7-plus-footers to guard him).

And speaking of defense, Joker's isn't great but it's not terrible, either. Being tall helps.

In my opinion it's not fair to call him unatheltic either, he is actually pretty damn quick for a man of his size. He has some stiff hips on defense, but I think some of that comes from a lack of confidence on that end, at least in isolation situations. He can't jump out of the gym but he's got some damn quick moves on the offensive end for a "slow" guy.

9 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

In my opinion it's not fair to call him unatheltic either, he is actually pretty damn quick for a man of his size. He has some stiff hips on defense, but I think some of that comes from a lack of confidence on that end, at least in isolation situations. He can't jump out of the gym but he's got some damn quick moves on the offensive end for a "slow" guy.

It's all relative. Compared to us common folk, virtually every NBAer is hyper-athletic. They set a very high bar, and relative to that bar, Joker is well below it.

Thing is, if Joker could jump out of the gym and outsprint a cat from one end of the court to the other, he probably wouldn't have developed his world-beating skillset, i.e., he's going to be fine regardless of what anyone thinks of his athleticism.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It's all relative. Compared to us common folk, virtually every NBAer is hyper-athletic. They set a very high bar, and relative to that bar, Joker is well below it.

Thing is, if Joker could jump out of the gym and outsprint a cat from one end of the court to the other, he probably wouldn't have developed his world-beating skillset, i.e., he's going to be fine regardless of what anyone thinks of his athleticism.

Yes and his game will age better as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/16/2020 at 5:41 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

You just described Luka as well. League is in good hands with these guys.

Also, as said above, I think we need to adjust what we think athletic means.  Yes we think it means jumping out of the jim and super fast/quick.  But I think with these guys and guys like James Harden, the ability to start and stop on a dime and change direction effortlessly, plus change your pace and hesitate are athletic as well, just in a different way.

• 3 months later...
On 9/18/2020 at 3:31 PM, Drew said:

You just described Luka as well. League is in good hands with these guys.

Also, as said above, I think we need to adjust what we think athletic means.  Yes we think it means jumping out of the jim and super fast/quick.  But I think with these guys and guys like James Harden, the ability to start and stop on a dime and change direction effortlessly, plus change your pace and hesitate are athletic as well, just in a different way.

IMO, There are two kinds of athletic talent.  The first is the guys who blow up the combine with size/speed/strength.  The other is that there are some people who can just play ball.  Check out some video of Luka playing tennis.  Tony Romo was a pretty good nfl quarterback, was an all-state basketball player in high school, and is a scratch golfer.  Invent a game where a ball is involved, and he would probably be pretty good at it.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

82F1CF4F-9DFA-48C1-B487-E1ED20F62F6E.jpeg

ho hum.

I will play devil's advocate and say they are 1-2 in those games but Jamal was a sack of moist, hot garbage in their first game and not much better in their 2nd. If they stay relatively healthy their floor should be around the 6th seed. 

• 2 weeks later...

those little put backs and floaters are a thing of beauty. his soft shooting touch with either hand from 6 feet and in is rather unique. sometimes he'll essentially "pass" the ball into the basket with reverse english off the glass with his left hand and things like that. his control there is otherworldly, as his deceptive quickness makes it impossible to stop most of the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

he's the best passer in the NBA and he's a center. i had a thought when i was watching the game tonight- the gap between Jokic and whoever is the next best passer in the league is so gargantuan that i don't recall there ever being such a gap between the best passer and the second best passer in the NBA. not in my lifetime. Magic had Larry; Mark Jackson overlapped with those two; Jason Kidd and Steve Nash had each other, not to mention White Chocolate. Nikola Jokic has no peers. He is so far and away the best passer in the league it's just crazy. if he's not the most "must-watch" player in the league he's on the very very short list. his game is one of a kind, and so much of it is impressive, but his passing- his passing is otherworldly.

Edited by shadow_operative

On 1/15/2021 at 12:38 AM, shadow_operative said:

he's the best passer in the NBA and he's a center. i had a thought when i was watching the game tonight- the gap between Jokic and whoever is the next best passer in the league is so gargantuan that i don't recall there ever being such a gap between the best passer and the second best passer in the NBA. not in my lifetime. Magic had Larry; Mark Jackson overlapped with those two; Jason Kidd and Steve Nash had each other, not to mention White Chocolate. Nikola Jokic has no peers. He is so far and away the best passer in the league it's just crazy. if he's not the most "must-watch" player in the league he's on the very very short list. his game is one of a kind, and so much of it is impressive, but his passing- his passing is otherworldly.

You think Jokic is that far ahead of CP and LeBron? I'm not sure I buy that. 

Who's batting 4th - Harden?

Also - Murray needs to get his shit together. Wasting this Jokic season so far. 

Edited by ztejas

26 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You think Jokic is that far ahead of CP and LeBron? I'm not sure I buy that. 

i do. i don't think either of them is close. he regularly makes passes that neither of them even attempt, and he's just as good with his left hand as he is with his right. his vision and actual passing ability are unreal. he does things like grab the ball off the defensive glass with one hand, and in one motion turns and fires a full-court outlet pass like it's nothing. the man is a passing savant. 

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

that's what i mean when i say that he makes passes that other elite passers don't even attempt. i mean it's not Chris Paul's fault that he isn't a 7-footer, and therefore is never even in a position to make that pass, but that's kind of the point, isn't it? you don't see Bam Adebayo or Giannis or Embiid making passes like this, and yet Jokic does it nightly. he's a big, slow, pasty white unicorn, and i couldn't have a bigger man crush on him if i tried. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...