Nikola Jokic deserves his own thread

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

He had one of the best years of all time this season.  And singlehandedly dragged a team without it's 2nd and 3rd best players to a #6 seed.  

Yeah, I’m coming around on the MVP choice. Look I know not just how talented he is, but recognize him as a Top 5 player in the world. What he did this season was more impressive than Durant in Brooklyn because Durant had Kyrie for some of the time and earned a lesser seed in a lesser conference. I think both NJ and KD are Top 5 players. I personally wouldn’t vote either of them MVP because of where their teams ultimately finished, and didn’t do. That’s probably unfair.

I love Embiid. But for a big guy, Jokic is better (stats and skill-level), Sixers we’re only marginally better than Denver, and Jokic was playing with less. I’ve talked myself out of Giannis over Jokic because of stats, versatility, the Bucks were also only marginally better than Denver, and Khris played most of season. 

Maybe Luka has had more help. But it’s not that great. Brunson carried the first part of the Jazz series, and has a solid season, but is not quite there with regular season #2 option (neither are Dinwiddie, KP before him, or THJ before he got hurt). And we’ve seen what this team is when playing against the best opponent they could face when Luka gets no help. By and large he dragged a team of 3rd/4th/5th scoring options to the 4 seed, got over the hump and is poised to have a chance against the clear best team in the league. That he didn’t get more legitimate talk (not like a 4th or 5th most legitimate candidate) as MVP is a farce. Part of this goes to my thinking of the timing of the award. NFL MVP might also be a regular season award too but it’s awarded around the Super Bowl. There is SO much hoops to play after May that it must be considered. If Luka throws up some 40 point and/or triple double efforts and the Mavs best Phoenix in 7, Luka > than Jokic for this award this year. 

36 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

Golden state is better than the suns ?

Yep

Negative. Paul/Booker is better than Steph/Klay or Steph/Poole. Paul/Booker/Ayton/Bridges is better than Splash Bros/Poole/Wiggins/Green. 

It’s close and hard to get a read on the 2-2 split they had this year because Klay was out for 2, maybe 3, and Booker was out. 

2 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Golden state is better than the suns ?

Do you think Dallas is going to beat the Suns?

My point was that Jokic probably would have gotten to the 2nd round too if he played a Utah team that hates each other.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

My point was that Jokic probably would have gotten to the 2nd round too if he played a Utah team that hates each other.

And the last time Jokic and Murray played together in the playoffs, the Nuggets made it to the WC Finals in the bubble.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Dallas would’ve swept them had Luka been healthy. Utah probably wins a Denver series in 6-7 games. 

2 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Ok didn’t know you were playing the magical assumption game .

Before this season, Jokic had never played a postseason in which he didn't win at least one series. Yeah, I would have liked his changes against a team on the brink of implosion.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Ok didn’t know you were playing the magical assumption game .

I mean, he's responding to a post that was a magical assumption.

I don't know why the NBA does this. Give MVP at the end of the regular season before the playoffs start. Not that hard.

Edited by Pam Cummings

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/20/2021 at 7:45 AM, shadow_operative said:

ive seen four different "top five players in the NBA 2021" lists which have included at least 8 different players, and none of them have had Jokic listed. none. Damian Lillard made a list, yet Jokic couldn't get any love. winning the MVP and having one of the greatest offensive seasons ever still wasn't enough tj get this man any respect. i still see fans trashing him regularly. smh. oh well! somehow i doubt that these things bother The Joker as much as they do me. 😂 

the disrespect continues. at this point nikola jokic is irrefutably the most inexplicably disrespected player in NBA history. just ask ESPN's experts, who think that the two-time, back to back, reigning mvp has the same chances to win that award as Jayson Tatum and fucking Karl Anthony Towns. this is becoming a bad joke at this point.

FBEDA985-A3AC-4A09-9E01-0A52194734C8.thumb.jpeg.5f2b24bf0387dd24f6bfdcc20f575353.jpeg

and don't just write it off as, "well that's espn for you". it's hoops fans everywhere. go read the threads and discussions and comment sections all over social media- people do not give this man any respect. devin booker's merely above average ass gets slurped by fans and media year after year, while jokic gets dismissed and downplayed at every turn. i've never seen anything like it, in any sport, ever. 

Living in Denver, I'm a massive Jokic fan, but his chances to win the MVP this year are almost zero.  Even peak LeBron and Jordan didn't win 3 in a row.  That hasn't happened since Bird in the mid 80s.

I still think he's the best player in the NBA, but he's not winning MVP this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

ok, he's not going to win it, but jayson tatum? KAT? in the same neighborhood as devin booker? that's disrespectful.

edit: and he's behind kawhi? kawhi who plays for the clippers, hasn't played in forever, and is always hurt? that guy? 

also- what's the argument for Booker- he's a borderline all star on a first place team. you're telling me that a healthy nuggets can't be first or second in the west? not to mention the gulf in class between booker and jokic. dis. re. spect. 

Edited by shadow_operative

37 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I mean, I didn't say that it was sound logic. It's just reality. Voters are going to go out of their way to give it to someone else.

Denver pretty much has to be the #1 seed in the West for him to have a real shot.

what would he have to do to finish ahead of Karl Anthony Towns?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

And despite those numbers Denver needed to hold on to barely beat a bad Charlotte team in Denver.

I feel for Jokic but I sense another early round exit in the playoffs - Murray is a shell, MPJs availability will always be iffy and he has a horrible contract, and the Nuggets net rating is merely middle of the pack.

5 hours ago, Message Board User said:

And despite those numbers Denver needed to hold on to barely beat a bad Charlotte team in Denver.

I feel for Jokic but I sense another early round exit in the playoffs - Murray is a shell, MPJs availability will always be iffy and he has a horrible contract, and the Nuggets net rating is merely middle of the pack.

As they sit today, you're 100% correct.  Murray needs to get back to being Jamal Murray and MPJ needs to get back on the floor.

Averaged 29 pts, 12 rebounds and 10 assists for the month of December.  First player since Wilt to average a triple double while shooting over 60% from the floor for an entire month.  I'd say that's pretty, pretty, pretty good.  

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...