Nikola Jokic deserves his own thread

Goo Punch

• 4 weeks later...

Instant classic between two of my favorite young stars.

Jokic didn't have a triple double, but he did rack up 37 points, 6 boards, 9 assists, 2 steals, 1 block and only 1 turnover. His teardrop floater rivals Harden's.

Meanwhile, Zion got to the rim whenever he wanted and finished with a game-high 39 points. The way he ducks his shoulder and then explodes to the hoop with that delicate layup high off the glass is uncanny. Not sure there's ever been a big who could get to the rim so quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you know i said that Jokic is "all finesse", but he actually bodied Zion off his spot in that video. really impressive show of physical strength for a guy who looks like him. i honestly did not know that he had that in him. 

Joker will back a body down. He doesn't rely on it exclusively, and it usually ends in a fadeaway or some flat-footed hook, but it gets the job done.

Check the Magic highlights from the other night, for example. He goes after Vucevic and Birch a few times.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

the fact that his FG% is the same as Shaq's is fucking insane when you consider the difference in the shots that each guy takes. Jokic is out here busting threes and shooting one legged fade away 19 foot jumpers to beat the shot clock. Jokic is a unicorn.

Yep that is what I noticed as well. Shaq played as close to the rim as possible. I am not going to pretend to know exactly the distance of his average shot but safe to say, it was a hell of a lot closer than Jokic's. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The NBA needs more personalities like his.   Just watching the superstars whine and cry all the time is lame.  Love watching the dudes joke and laugh and do shit like handing the ball to the guy out of bounds.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

ive seen four different "top five players in the NBA 2021" lists which have included at least 8 different players, and none of them have had Jokic listed. none. Damian Lillard made a list, yet Jokic couldn't get any love. winning the MVP and having one of the greatest offensive seasons ever still wasn't enough tj get this man any respect. i still see fans trashing him regularly. smh. oh well! somehow i doubt that these things bother The Joker as much as they do me. 😂 

Edited by shadow_operative

It's fascinating to me how people still underrate playoff performance when, every year, we see the massive difference between regular and post season play out. Jokic's teams have been the underdogs and/or missing their 2nd best player in most of his seven playoff series, and he's 4-3, has never failed to win at least one series, and is averaging 25.9/11.3/6.4 on 51/41/84 shooting.

I don't know how anyone keeps him out of their top 5. Luca and Harden over him? Not to me, and that's not a knock on them whatsoever.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

he and Embiid are already top 10 Centers of all time.  Obviously they haven't won a title or gathered a lifetime of stats, but talentwise OMG. Who among the all time greats could guard these guys? It's a different type of animal these days, still, they are bigs and will be remembered as all time greats. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Jokic is a joy to watch.

I know his nickname is Joker, but it should be Moose, because that's what he reminds me off--a huge, ungainly animal that is all knees and elbows, yet somehow carries itself with regal grace, especially when in its element. Both are fully aware of how much larger and stronger they are than just about anything else, and they know how to use that to their advantage.

• Like 1