Stephen F Austin Hammered By NCAA

SHOOTER12

Sorry if already posted.

The NCAA has flexed its considerable institutional muscle in the direction of Stephen F. Austin State University this week, hitting the Texas-based school with one of the harshest penalties in history. The reason? The NCAA found that, from 2013 to 2019, SFA had fielded 82 ineligible student-athletes across a variety of sports.

The ineligible players constituted what the NCAA calls a “Level 1 violation,” which allows the organization to bring down the proverbial hammer on any school found culpable. In a statement, the NCAA blamed a lack of institutional control for the violations:

The university was found to lack institutional control because it did not adequately monitor and control the athletics eligibility certification process, failed to properly apply academic certification rules and did not involve staff members from outside of athletics in the certification process.

The punishments are harsh: Stephen F. Austin will forfeit hundreds of wins across four sports — men’s basketball, baseball, softball, and football — as well as three men’s basketball conference championships. It will be placed on three years’ probation, it will pay a fine of $5,000, and it will have to return 50 percent of its earnings from the 2016 NCAA Tournament. ESPN has the full list of punishments beyond that, including a reduction in scholarships.

Guest Lobo

^

Yep, while 82 is a lot...they gotta do what they gotta do to get kids to come live/study in Nacagdoches.  But you're right, meantime institutional coverup of organized gang rape by student athletes at Baylor has gone basically unpunished.  I'll never get my head around that. 

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Not saying that SFA is wrongly accused but the NCAA is a fucking joke. Flexing on small schools while allowing top conference schools to cheat with impunity. Fuck the NCAA.

This, along with several posts agreeing.  If you're a little guy look out, otherwise, don't sweat it.

When SFA beat Duke, I honestly thought wtf?  Just doesn't make sense... I wonder?  Nah surely not, not little backwoods SFA...

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

^

Yep, while 82 is a lot...they gotta do what they gotta do to get kids to come live/study in Nacagdoches.  But you're right, meantime institutional coverup of organized gang rape by student athletes at Baylor has gone basically unpunished.  I'll never get my head around that. 

We moved there in '03 to be with/help out with very young grandchildren.  Since about the 2nd or 3rd week there I've prefered to call it Nastydouches, probably always will.

*Nacogdoches*. I'm a spelling snob, but I can tell I won't be for very much longer😞

Edited by SHOOTER12

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

^

Didn't Baylor have a basketball player involved in a murder somehow?