What if we just got rid of Wednesdays

Goo Punch

Now hear me out- it would take some getting used to, that's for sure, but I think the long term benefits of doing away with Wednesdays would outweigh whatever temporary adjustment period there may be. Here's how and why:

We divide up the 24 hours from Wednesday evenly among the other six days. Days are now 28 hours long, necessitating a switch to military time. Instead of working five days a week/eight hours a day, you now work 4 days a week/10 hours per day. The work week is M, T, Th, F, and the weekends are still Saturday and Sunday.

Now everyone has more time to get shit done, and more time to sleep as well. With 28 hours in a day the need for 8 consecutive hours of sleep will be a thing of the past, as twice-daily 4-6 hour naps become the norm. And all because we did away with dumb old Wednesday, everyone's least favorite day of the week. So who's with me??

39 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Now hear me out- it would take some getting used to, that's for sure, but I think the long term benefits of doing away with Wednesdays would outweigh whatever temporary adjustment period there may be. Here's how and why:

We divide up the 24 hours from Wednesday evenly among the other six days. Days are now 28 hours long, necessitating a switch to military time. Instead of working five days a week/eight hours a day, you now work 4 days a week/10 hours per day. The work week is M, T, Th, F, and the weekends are still Saturday and Sunday.

Now everyone has more time to get shit done, and more time to sleep as well. With 28 hours in a day the need for 8 consecutive hours of sleep will be a thing of the past, as twice-daily 4-6 hour naps become the norm. And all because we did away with dumb old Wednesday, everyone's least favorite day of the week. So who's with me??

🤣🤣🤣

22 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

No more hump day?

maybe tuesday evening and thursday morning now be for humping

18 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

What about the whole sunrise and sunset thing?  It would get all kinds of fucked up.  The earth tells us how long a day is.

oh - good reminder, maybe just change the number of minutes in each day as well to counteract this actual fact.

Here is my much more superior idea, that I have, which is mine - make every month 28 days, make 13 months, plus an extra holiday for football games (2 in leap year) after December 28 to get us to January 1. The extra month would be in the summer between July and August - because who doesn't want a longer summer, and it would be called Hedonber with mandatory no working (like the Euros in the summer).
Who is with me??

Alt plan #2 - is to keep 12 months, each of 30 days and have it be a 5 day holiday (6 in leap years) between December 30 and January 1.

Alt plan #3 - rename Wednesday to DerkaDay

24 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

🤣🤣🤣

maybe tuesday evening and thursday morning now be for humping

oh - good reminder, maybe just change the number of minutes in each day as well to counteract this actual fact.

Here is my much more superior idea, that I have, which is mine - make every month 28 days, make 13 months, plus an extra holiday for football games (2 in leap year) after December 28 to get us to January 1. The extra month would be in the summer between July and August - because who doesn't want a longer summer, and it would be called Hedonber with mandatory no working (like the Euros in the summer).
Who is with me??

Alt plan #2 - is to keep 12 months, each of 30 days and have it be a 5 day holiday (6 in leap years) between December 30 and January 1.

Alt plan #3 - rename Wednesday to DerkaDay

I have always thought those 2 plans makes so much more sense than what we have now, with plan 1 being the most practical but plan 2 would be my preferred.   

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

that's literally what it will do- give you four extra hours in a day. 

How many extra hours in a week or year?

your thought is that going from a 40 hours a week in a 168 hour week to...working 40 hours per week in a 168 hour week is a time saver?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How many extra hours in a week or year?

please don't tell me this is seriously too complex for you to understand. tonytexan? absolutely. guy's a moron. i'm 0% surprised that he doesn't understand that adding four hours to a day of the week makes that day longer. either that, or he's so stupid that he thinks i'm literally claiming that i've just discovered a way to expand time. but you? you should be better than that. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

1. Stop being poor.

2. Buy a private jet. Pilot it westward, every single day.

3. Never again suffer from night.

This is why you never hear a really rich guy worrying about vampires. Really rich guys can travel and always stay someplace where it's daytime.

• Like 3

Sounds like an idea someone who sits at home with the curtains drawn, playing video games and drinking Mountain Dew Code Red all day would come up with. 

Ten hours a day, four days a week, three day weekend. I can get behind that.

Fuck removing days. An hour shift with the time-change fucks everyone up. I can't even imagine what "Hey, here's your new 28 hour day!" would do. My sleep schedule doesn't need to be more fucked. 

Edited by Deej

20 minutes ago, softlynow said:

It might work . . . unless, of course, someone comes up with six-minute abs.

28's the key number here. Think about it. 28, man, that's the number. 28 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby

• Like 2

If you want to be taken seriously, propose slowing the rotation of the earth by 11 minutes a day:

https://www.circadiansleepdisorders.org/info/cycle_length.php

Early research into circadian rhythms suggested that most people preferred a day closer to 25 hours when isolated from external stimuli like daylight and timekeeping. However, this research was faulty because it failed to shield the participants from artificial light. Although subjects were shielded from time cues (like clocks) and daylight, the researchers were not aware of the phase-delaying effects of indoor electric lights. The subjects were allowed to turn on light when they were awake and to turn it off when they wanted to sleep. Electric light in the evening delayed their circadian phase. These results became well-known.

More recent research has shown that: adults have a built-in day, which averages about 24 hours; indoor lighting does affect circadian rhythms; and most people attain their best-quality sleep during their chronotype-determined sleep periods. A study by Czeisler et al. at Harvard found the range for normal, healthy adults of all ages to be quite narrow: 24 hours and 11 minutes ± 16 minutes. In normal subjects outside the laboratory this "clock" is reset, primarily by exposure to light, so that it follows the 24-hour light/dark cycle of the Earth's rotation.

Edited by clapclapclap
Switched to Chronotype font

I still can't tell if we're being fucked with or not. As a thought expiriment, I suppose we could readjust what we consider to be a second such that hours are shorter and we could fit 28 hours into a single earth's rotation. With that, 40 hours is in fact significantly shorter than 40 hours as currently measured. But that would be a monumentally complicated and fucked up way to accomplish something that is otherwise pretty damn simple (either shorten work to 32 hours a week or fit 40 hours into 4 days). Shortening our measure of a second would literally throw centuries of science and measurements into disarray.