Help with lining a backyard pond

I'm going to get this thing going again for my folks. It worked years ago, but their dog got in it and punctured the liner and they didn't really care about fixing it. The liner is ripped out and I'm going to put another one in. 

Where I'm not sure what to do, is attaching the liner up by the little channel and waterfall. That always worked fine. The hose and electric for a pump is all fine, but I don't know the best way to get it attached up there, where the water won't run under it. I see that there's waterfall foam for this purpose (I think), and it looks like they already had used some, but I don't know what I'm getting into there. 

I figured I can just drape the liner over the other pavers and put some nice rocks on top? Not entirely sure if that will work, but don't see why not. They don't need to be attached by mortar, do they? Also, since there's already concrete there that I'm putting the liner over, do I need to use an underlayment? I have some carpet I can use, but is it necessary in this case? 

By the way, every search for a pond on this forum is littered with Ty Webb's quote, so y'all got that going for you, which is nice. 

IMG-20200522-153112.jpg

IMG-20200522-153127-1.jpg

The best thing to do is to pick up the rocks and whatever else in the channel and put liner down and put rocks back on top.

The very best is to get one big piece so the liner and channel are all from the same piece of liner 

You can see my "creek" in this picture before I put rocks on top of it

IMG_0234.JPG

The day before this picture was taken I heard the boy in the yellow come inside from the back yard and was running around the house yelling "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK" 

I hear him go into the bathroom where my wife was and yell "FUCK" and then hear her scream and fall down. I rush to the bathroom and wife is on the floor and boy holds out his hand to me and says "Look at my fuck" and there's a tiny little frog in his hand.

I tell him we should take him and put him back in the pond. So we put him on a lily pad and he hung out for a while before swimming off. Boy started crying because his pet frog ran off. He spent the better part of the next several  days sitting out next to the pond waiting for his Fuck to come back. His brother joined him right before I took this picture. 

• Like 3

Problem with that, BL, those rocks were strategically placed for flow and mortared down. I'm not that invested in this project to do that and I might fuck it up. 

They've been in the house 25 years and haven't had it working most of the time so they don't really care. I just like the feature and want to get it going.

On 5/26/2020 at 6:06 PM, blacklab said:

Well you're pretty much fucked then.

For the non waterfall area putting the tarp over and rocks on top is fine.

For the waterfall it's pretty hard to get it to not leak to under the tarp if it's not under some rocks

So that's basically what happened. Got the liner in and it holds but the waterfall is going to be near impossible.

So I got water and a submerged pump that's good. Just get some sort of fountain, attach it to the pump that filters and circulates the water?

Any recs if that indeed would work? 

• 2 weeks later...