Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And I have ACTUAL law-enforcement related PTSD (seriously, it popped into my head last night and wouldn't let me sleep) from the cops beating the shit out of my dad, jailing him, and not even letting us know that had happened so we thought he was dead.  That actually fucking happened.  So fuck them.  Zero sympathy from me.  If they can't hack the job without taking it out on innocent people, fucking quit.

The beauty of the internet is that anyone can say anything they want with virtually no way to actually fact check that person

23 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

This is one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever watched. Let’s just say, for the sake of argument, that he was resisting at first and needed to be subdued. Then the cop is going by the old “if he can talk, he can breathe.” But the dude goes fucking unconscious and the cop STILL doesn’t take his knee off of his neck. Then he’s flopping around limp when the paramedics try to put him on the stretcher. How does nobody (I.e., cop or paramedic) in that situation think something might be wrong?!?

They just don't care.  That's the issue.

4 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

The beauty of the internet is that anyone can say anything they want with virtually no way to actually fact check that person

Wait....are you genuinely suggesting that I'm lying about the event with my dad?  Because the memory literally kept me awake last night - hadn't thought about it in years, but there it was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

This is a lazy and shitty response in light of the ongoing and persistent police brutality in the US. You're choosing to ignore reality in favor of your rose-colored reality that cops (as an institution) give a flying fuck about the wellbeing of citizens and are uniformly "good". 

One "bad cop" does a bad thing and is seen by a hundred "good cops". "Good cops" let it slide/cover for the "bad cop". You now have 101 bad cops.

No, I’m stating my experiences, which have been extremely positive. I’m not going to acknowledge his warped reality just because he has PTSD, sorry. 

• Fuck You 3

16 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

That’s not a fact and I’m not acknowledging such nonsense. I’m sincerely not trying to be a dick, but I think your emotions are getting the best of you here. I’m rooting for you to get the counseling you need to tackle this issue, you definitely have a lot to sort through. 

Cops who will cover for the dirty cops, or look the other way while they do what they do, are just as guilty as those who perpetrate the bad acts.  The thin blue line is alive and well, and it is a cancer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Cops who will cover for the dirty cops, or look the other way while they do what they do, are just as guilty as those who perpetrate the bad acts.  The thin blue line is alive and well, and it is a cancer.

Sure, and I get that. But trying to get me to acknowledge that my friends are family are dirty cops because, well they’re cops, is ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Sure, and I get that. But trying to get me to acknowledge that my friends are family are dirty cops because, well they’re cops, is ridiculous. 

So you admit the thin blue line is alive and well and you acknowledge the detrimental effects it has on how police operate, but you simultaneously want to claim your friends and family are not impacted by it?  That just happens in all the other departments, right?

There's some cognitive dissonance for you right there, folks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

And you're ignoring that your experiences have been extremely positive because you are part of their "tribe" because you are family

Maybe in a small town that will fly, but having a cousin on the force in a larger city doesn’t mean shit, that I can promise you. 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Until cops actually take a stand against this destructive behavior, they are all one in the same. It's all one big gang. They cover for each other and enable this behavior. Most cops are not in fact dirty by doing criminal shit and using their power for their own gain. But they all stand by and don't do jack shit about it. American cops are one huge ass gang with different divisions and departments across our land. All the same.

• Like 5

Just now, Chewbacca said:

So you admit the thin blue line is alive and well and you acknowledge the detrimental effects it has on how police operate, but you simultaneously want to claim your friends and family are not impacted by it?  That just happens in all the other departments, right?

There's some cognitive dissonance for you right there, folks.

What in the hell are you babbling about? Saying there is an issue broadly is one thing, implying that my family members are involved is something very different. I feel like I’m playing cards with my sister’s kids here. 

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Maybe in a small town that will fly, but having a cousin on the force in a larger city doesn’t mean shit, that I can promise you. 

Big city cops will defend and hide illegal actions by their brother and sisters just as well as small town cops. Just ask Dennis Tuttle. Oh wait, you can't. Because HPD trumped up probable cause to get a no-knock warrant to murder him and his girlfriend in their sleep. And it turns out the narco squad had been doing this shit for the better part of a decade and they've had a number of their cases re-opened as a result.

But wouldn't ya know it, the police chief and union chief backed them no questions asked and attacked anyone who dared question the sanctity of the badge and their authority.

Sounds pretty fuckin familiar to your posting ethos in the thread.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Big city cops will defend and hide illegal actions by their brother and sisters just as well as small town cops. Just ask Dennis Tuttle. Oh wait, you can't. Because HPD trumped up probable cause to get a no-knock warrant to murder him and his girlfriend in their sleep. And it turns out the narco squad had been doing this shit for the better part of a decade and they've had a number of their cases re-opened as a result.

But wouldn't ya know it, the police chief and union chief backed them no questions asked and attacked anyone who dared question the sanctity of the badge and their authority.

Sounds pretty fuckin familiar to your posting ethos in the thread.

You think I’m the one on the offensive in this discussion. Sheeeit. Sounds like I missed out though, they sure didn’t get me out of that speeding ticket a couple years back. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

You think I’m the one on the offensive in this discussion. Sheeeit. Sounds like I missed out though, they sure didn’t get me out of that speeding ticket a couple years back. 

What would they have done for their partner?  If they showed up and found he was drunk and had wrecked his car?  If he started beating up an arrestee?  Would they treat him like any other criminal?

If they would.....they are beyond exceptional.  

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

At least you were pulled over for actually speeding as opposed to a non-reason that led to your arrest for resisting arrest. I'd bet that shit doesn't happen to someone with a 100 club sticker on their car. Or someone who isn't black.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What would they have done for their partner?  If they showed up and found he was drunk and had wrecked his car?  If he started beating up an arrestee?  Would they treat him like any other criminal?

If they would.....they are beyond exceptional.  

Hypotheticals are fun and entertaining, but ultimately useless. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Poe It Up said:

Hypotheticals are fun and entertaining, but ultimately useless. 

Until one of those hypotheticals pulls you over.  And beats the fuck out of you.  Because you didn't respect their authoritah.

A buncha hypotheticals just murdered a man in Minneapolis.  A hypothetical covered up for his partner stalking an ex (see bad teammate's post). A hypothetical escalated the Sandra Bland arrest.  A hypothetical pulled over my dad, beat the fuck out of him, and didn't even let him contact his family.  A hypothetical shot Walter Scott in the back in S. Carolina.  And a metric shitton of hypotheticals covered for the violent hypotheticals.

Hypotheticals are dangerous as shit -- because they keep turning into actual bad cops.

But I'm sure your family members are different.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

At least you were pulled over for actually speeding as opposed to a non-reason that led to your arrest for resisting arrest. I'd bet that shit doesn't happen to someone with a 100 club sticker on their car. Or someone who isn't black.

Oh, of course it does. One time I got pulled over for a license plate light being out. When he asked me to get out and talk to him I pointed this out to him. It was hilarious. 

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

Oh, of course it does. One time I got pulled over for a license plate light being out. When he asked me to get out and talk to him I pointed this out to him. It was hilarious. 

hilarious.  absolutely fucking hilarious.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Until one of those hypotheticals pulls you over.  And beats the fuck out of you.  Because you didn't respect their authoritah.

A buncha hypotheticals just murdered a man in Minneapolis.  A hypothetical covered up for his partner stalking an ex (see bad teammate's post). A hypothetical escalated the Sandra Bland arrest.  A hypothetical pulled over my dad, beat the fuck out of him, and didn't even let him contact his family.  A hypothetical shot Walter Scott in the back in S. Carolina.  And a metric shitton of hypotheticals covered for the violent hypotheticals.

Hypotheticals are dangerous as shit -- because they keep turning into actual bad cops.

But I'm sure your family members are different.

They are different, yes. Excuse me for wanting to avoid tautology, but we’ve been over this repeatedly. 

It's funny. I live in Pemberton Heights and I am raising my two lily-white boys that cops are corrupt and that you should never call them and if they are ever confronted with to be respectful but absolutely turn on their phone microphone and video (if possible on video) as cops lie.

It is a source of contention with my wife (no pics) as she is a little more "not all cops are bad, you're generalizing" mindset (and she's worried I am turning boys into little anarchists) but I just state fact that while it is true that only some cops are overt criminals, all the other cops who say nothing, who clam up and never testify against the bad apples are all just as guilty and none of them come forward and call out their fellow cops when bad stuff happens, thus making all cops bad.

I will be stunned if a single Minneapolis cop says the first word calling these four pieces of shit out.

• Like 4

Guest Lobo

I'll say this, the body language of the Asian officer suggests he already knows something is rotten in Denmark with his fellow patrolmen.  You can see he's a bit uneasy about the whole thing minutes before the shit goes down.  I'm sure when this video is released to the courts years from now, somebody will murder his family  

Guest Lobo

Forging?  They already dig some unrelated ship on this guy to justify murder in broad daylight?

Imagine if every time somebody was arrested, we called into question the past behavior of the arresting officer/charging officer?  Would police find that unfair and not relevant to the arrest in question?  Now you know how black people feel.  How many failed drug tests, shitty training reports, false arrests, planted evidence, beaten wives, bribes received, and assault/murder raps never filed pepper our boys in blue?  

Cops’ employment files are padded with so many 1/2 day course “completions” and commendations and BS so they look good on the stand. I only do civil law so I don’t go through them often but even the most basic slapdick cop file I’ve seen will have like 300 pages of shit making him/her look like a guy that ran into the towers on 9/11. The negative stuff is like 4 sentences of “cop was warned.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a thing, though.

You never ever see any police associations decrying bad shoots, brutality, and bad arrests.

You do see dogshit drivel that I don't think even Trump would spew attempting to defend the indefensible.  Aggressively.

At some point, the good cops and their associations, or a new association type has to come forward and say "this is not how police in America operate."

It's going to become an issue of self-preservation sooner or later.  There is a real, serious pathology in the American law enforcement community.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao. Good for them. Not making it easy for this murderer.

100991421_274100223975677_43199936752968

Here's a profile of the killer's wife, a former Mrs. Minnesota contestant, who says "Under all that unifiorm he's a big softie." Yeah.

https://i1.wp.com/www.twincities.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/jmp-005-0010-mrs-minnesota.jpg?w=810&crop=0%2C0px%2C100%2C9999px&ssl=1spacer.png

https://www.twincities.com/2018/06/02/refugee-who-was-shamed-for-her-looks-as-a-child-is-vying-to-be-the-first-hmong-mrs-minnesota/

Spoiler

Refugee once shamed for her looks vying to be the first Hmong Mrs. Minnesota

As a child, Kellie Chauvin was teased, bullied and the only one of her friends who was not invited to participate in a local parade, all because other children called her ugly.

The teasing never ended, but Chauvin eventually learned to overlook the shallow criticisms.

Now 43 years old, the Oakdale woman is competing to be Mrs. Minnesota America 2018.

“I just knew that for myself, I was better than what people made me out to be,” Chauvin said. “I know it took me a long time to realize that, but it’s never too late.”

She will face off against seven others later this month in Bloomington. If she wins, she’ll be the first “Mrs. Hmong,” as she calls it, to score a victory in the pageant nationally. One other Hmong woman from Minnesota is also competing this year.

REFUGEE FROM LAOS

Chauvin was born in Laos in 1974 during a time of war. In 1977, her family fled to safety in Thailand, where they lived in a refugee camp.

Chauvin still remembers the challenges of being a refugee. Their only possessions were the ones they could carry on their backs. She watched people die from illness. To this day, she avoids eating oatmeal because it takes her back to her days at the camp.

After three years there, Chauvin and her family moved to Eau Claire, Wis. It was a cold October and Chauvin had to wear a boy’s jacket because that’s all that was available.

Even in America, Chauvin said, she felt like she was still in a refugee camp.

Ten years old, she was placed in a kindergarten class, where she knew less about reading and writing English than her younger classmates.

“They say ‘land of the free,’ but I still didn’t feel like we were free,” Chauvin said. “We didn’t know English. My parents didn’t want us leaving the house because they didn’t trust the world. You land into this brand-new world and you don’t know what to expect, and so we were always kept inside.”

MARRIAGE

Kellie Chauvin from Oakdale talks with her son, George Xiong, who grabs soup from the refrigerator for lunch before going to work on Friday, June 1, 2018. Chauvin, 43, is vying to be the first Hmong Mrs. Minnesota America. (Jean Pieri / Pioneer Press) Chauvin talks with her son, George Xiong, who grabs soup from the refrigerator for lunch before going to work. (Jean Pieri / Pioneer Press)

Chauvin’s parents found her a husband when she was 17 years old and they married before she turned 18. She hardly knew him.

“As a Hmong woman, if you’re not married by 18 … then your parents think that nobody will marry you,” Chauvin said.

The couple had two children, and Chauvin said she fought to make the marriage work. But after 10 years in an abusive relationship, she says, she decided to divorce and move to Minnesota. Her former husband died shortly after.

Chauvin earned her associate’s degree in radiology and took an internship in the emergency room of Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis. The internship turned into a full-time position, and she stayed for 13 years.

It was at the hospital that she met her current husband, Derek Chauvin. The Minneapolis police officer spotted his future wife when he brought someone in for a health check before an arrest. After taking the suspect to jail, Derek Chauvin returned and asked her out.

“Under all that uniform, he’s just a softie,” Kellie Chauvin said. “He’s such a gentleman. He still opens the door for me, still puts my coat on for me. After my divorce, I had a list of must-haves if I were ever to be in a relationship, and he fit all of them.”

They’ve been married for eight years.

During that time, Chauvin resigned from the hospital, went to Kaplan University for residential real estate and began working as a Realtor with Re/Max Results.

PREPARING FOR THE COMPETITION

Kellie Chauvin's competition materials are on her kitchen table in Oakdale on Friday, June 1, 2018. Chauvin, 43, is vying to be the first Hmong Mrs. Minnesota America. One other Hmong woman from the state is also competing. (Jean Pieri / Pioneer Press) Chauvin’s competition materials on her kitchen table in Oakdale. (Jean Pieri / Pioneer Press)

Five years ago, Chauvin said, she wouldn’t have considered signing up for a pageant.

So when longtime friend Sophia Xiong-Yang approached Chauvin with the idea in January, she was surprised to hear Chauvin agree.

“She is such a go-getter,” Xiong-Yang said. “I feel that it takes someone who is very caring, compassionate and has a lot of empathy for others to be able to do the things she does. It would be amazing if she makes Minnesota history by being the first Hmong woman to win the title Mrs. Minnesota.”

The pageant is split into four parts: a private interview with the judges, a public interview, a swimsuit round and an evening-gown round. Chauvin has worked with a coach to prepare for the interviews but is most nervous about walking in 5½-inch heels.

“If I fall flat on my face, at least somebody will remember,” Chauvin said.

Her evening gown is navy blue with a smattering of sparkles — an homage to police officers.

“When I saw the dress, it was almost like it was in a movie where the girl sees a dress,” Chauvin said. “I was immediately drawn to it.”

HER HOBBY IS HELPING PEOPLE

Contestants in Mrs. Minnesota America are not required to have an official platform, but they are expected to be invested in their communities.

That’s easy for Chauvin, who said, “My hobby is just helping people.”

RELATED ARTICLES

She’s been buying groceries and gas for police officers and military members for years. She frequently opens her home to women who are in abusive relationships. She rescues dogs, cats and other animals. She shares her home-grown produce with neighbors and clears the snow from their driveways with her plow.

And she donates to and volunteers with Hmong Empowering Women, a nonprofit dedicated to helping Hmong women who have recently arrived in the United States find jobs, child care and a community.

“I dedicate myself to animals and children and women,” Chauvin said. “That’s my passion. It doesn’t feel like work to me.”

THE COMPETITION

Kellie Chauvin in Oakdale on Friday, June 1, 2018. Chauvin, 43, is vying to be the first Hmong Mrs. Minnesota America. (Jean Pieri / Pioneer Press) Kellie Chauvin (Jean Pieri / Pioneer Press)
  • When and where: 7 p.m. June 23 at Bloomington Center for the Arts
  • How are contestants judged? “They’re looking for a contestant who can speak to anyone and be approachable to other people,” said pageant director Carl Schway. “Personality … vibrance, ability to speak and articulate. It’s almost like going to a job interview and trying to win that job.”
  • Who is eligible to compete? Married women who are at least 18 years old and who are United States and Minnesota citizens.
  • What’s the prize? The winner will advance to the Mrs. America pageant, which will be held in Las Vegas in August. The winner of Mrs. America can compete in Mrs. World. Winners typically make several public appearances, speaking at events and continuing to give back to their communities.

159d4957356ba646b34e2938ff8ca62b?s=85&d=

S. M. Chavey | News reporter

Sarah Chavey is a year-long fellow through the Collegiate Network. She is a graduate of Hillsdale College, in Michigan.
  •  

MORE IN NEWS

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

After seeing this, starting to wonder if he was executed for offending one of the blue's sensitivities.

Holy shit. This contradicts the typical cop story when these incidents happen. I heard yesterday this dude was resisting, high/drunk and only after he was cuffed was he subdued. He was cuffed the entire time! And these pieces of shit are still not arrested. It was already very bad yesterday. And how this comes out. I am sure those murdering pieces of shit didn't think about the cameras being out there leading up to the arrest. Or maybe they could not strong arm the owner to "delete" them. They aren't even trying to hide it anymore. They are the biggest gang we have walking the streets in this country.

And no doubt George said something that hurt their fucking feelings and he took offense to it. Most cops are thin skinned pussies with a chip on their shoulder. Probably because they know without that badge and a gun, they are no one anyone respects so they use that to overcompensate. 

17 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Here's a profile of the killer's wife, a former Mrs. Minnesota contestant, who says "Under all that unifiorm he's a big softie." Yeah.

https://i1.wp.com/www.twincities.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/jmp-005-0010-mrs-minnesota.jpg?w=810&crop=0%2C0px%2C100%2C9999px&ssl=1spacer.png

https://www.twincities.com/2018/06/02/refugee-who-was-shamed-for-her-looks-as-a-child-is-vying-to-be-the-first-hmong-mrs-minnesota/

Reveal hidden contents

Refugee once shamed for her looks vying to be the first Hmong Mrs. Minnesota

As a child, Kellie Chauvin was teased, bullied and the only one of her friends who was not invited to participate in a local parade, all because other children called her ugly.

The teasing never ended, but Chauvin eventually learned to overlook the shallow criticisms.

Now 43 years old, the Oakdale woman is competing to be Mrs. Minnesota America 2018.

“I just knew that for myself, I was better than what people made me out to be,” Chauvin said. “I know it took me a long time to realize that, but it’s never too late.”

She will face off against seven others later this month in Bloomington. If she wins, she’ll be the first “Mrs. Hmong,” as she calls it, to score a victory in the pageant nationally. One other Hmong woman from Minnesota is also competing this year.

REFUGEE FROM LAOS

Chauvin was born in Laos in 1974 during a time of war. In 1977, her family fled to safety in Thailand, where they lived in a refugee camp.

Chauvin still remembers the challenges of being a refugee. Their only possessions were the ones they could carry on their backs. She watched people die from illness. To this day, she avoids eating oatmeal because it takes her back to her days at the camp.

After three years there, Chauvin and her family moved to Eau Claire, Wis. It was a cold October and Chauvin had to wear a boy’s jacket because that’s all that was available.

Even in America, Chauvin said, she felt like she was still in a refugee camp.

Ten years old, she was placed in a kindergarten class, where she knew less about reading and writing English than her younger classmates.

“They say ‘land of the free,’ but I still didn’t feel like we were free,” Chauvin said. “We didn’t know English. My parents didn’t want us leaving the house because they didn’t trust the world. You land into this brand-new world and you don’t know what to expect, and so we were always kept inside.”

MARRIAGE

Kellie Chauvin from Oakdale talks with her son, George Xiong, who grabs soup from the refrigerator for lunch before going to work on Friday, June 1, 2018. Chauvin, 43, is vying to be the first Hmong Mrs. Minnesota America. (Jean Pieri / Pioneer Press) Chauvin talks with her son, George Xiong, who grabs soup from the refrigerator for lunch before going to work. (Jean Pieri / Pioneer Press)

Chauvin’s parents found her a husband when she was 17 years old and they married before she turned 18. She hardly knew him.

“As a Hmong woman, if you’re not married by 18 … then your parents think that nobody will marry you,” Chauvin said.

The couple had two children, and Chauvin said she fought to make the marriage work. But after 10 years in an abusive relationship, she says, she decided to divorce and move to Minnesota. Her former husband died shortly after.

Chauvin earned her associate’s degree in radiology and took an internship in the emergency room of Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis. The internship turned into a full-time position, and she stayed for 13 years.

It was at the hospital that she met her current husband, Derek Chauvin. The Minneapolis police officer spotted his future wife when he brought someone in for a health check before an arrest. After taking the suspect to jail, Derek Chauvin returned and asked her out.

“Under all that uniform, he’s just a softie,” Kellie Chauvin said. “He’s such a gentleman. He still opens the door for me, still puts my coat on for me. After my divorce, I had a list of must-haves if I were ever to be in a relationship, and he fit all of them.”

They’ve been married for eight years.

During that time, Chauvin resigned from the hospital, went to Kaplan University for residential real estate and began working as a Realtor with Re/Max Results.

PREPARING FOR THE COMPETITION

Kellie Chauvin's competition materials are on her kitchen table in Oakdale on Friday, June 1, 2018. Chauvin, 43, is vying to be the first Hmong Mrs. Minnesota America. One other Hmong woman from the state is also competing. (Jean Pieri / Pioneer Press) Chauvin’s competition materials on her kitchen table in Oakdale. (Jean Pieri / Pioneer Press)

Five years ago, Chauvin said, she wouldn’t have considered signing up for a pageant.

So when longtime friend Sophia Xiong-Yang approached Chauvin with the idea in January, she was surprised to hear Chauvin agree.

“She is such a go-getter,” Xiong-Yang said. “I feel that it takes someone who is very caring, compassionate and has a lot of empathy for others to be able to do the things she does. It would be amazing if she makes Minnesota history by being the first Hmong woman to win the title Mrs. Minnesota.”

The pageant is split into four parts: a private interview with the judges, a public interview, a swimsuit round and an evening-gown round. Chauvin has worked with a coach to prepare for the interviews but is most nervous about walking in 5½-inch heels.

“If I fall flat on my face, at least somebody will remember,” Chauvin said.

Her evening gown is navy blue with a smattering of sparkles — an homage to police officers.

“When I saw the dress, it was almost like it was in a movie where the girl sees a dress,” Chauvin said. “I was immediately drawn to it.”

HER HOBBY IS HELPING PEOPLE

Contestants in Mrs. Minnesota America are not required to have an official platform, but they are expected to be invested in their communities.

That’s easy for Chauvin, who said, “My hobby is just helping people.”

RELATED ARTICLES

She’s been buying groceries and gas for police officers and military members for years. She frequently opens her home to women who are in abusive relationships. She rescues dogs, cats and other animals. She shares her home-grown produce with neighbors and clears the snow from their driveways with her plow.

And she donates to and volunteers with Hmong Empowering Women, a nonprofit dedicated to helping Hmong women who have recently arrived in the United States find jobs, child care and a community.

“I dedicate myself to animals and children and women,” Chauvin said. “That’s my passion. It doesn’t feel like work to me.”

THE COMPETITION

Kellie Chauvin in Oakdale on Friday, June 1, 2018. Chauvin, 43, is vying to be the first Hmong Mrs. Minnesota America. (Jean Pieri / Pioneer Press) Kellie Chauvin (Jean Pieri / Pioneer Press)
  • When and where: 7 p.m. June 23 at Bloomington Center for the Arts
  • How are contestants judged? “They’re looking for a contestant who can speak to anyone and be approachable to other people,” said pageant director Carl Schway. “Personality … vibrance, ability to speak and articulate. It’s almost like going to a job interview and trying to win that job.”
  • Who is eligible to compete? Married women who are at least 18 years old and who are United States and Minnesota citizens.
  • What’s the prize? The winner will advance to the Mrs. America pageant, which will be held in Las Vegas in August. The winner of Mrs. America can compete in Mrs. World. Winners typically make several public appearances, speaking at events and continuing to give back to their communities.

159d4957356ba646b34e2938ff8ca62b?s=85&d=

S. M. Chavey | News reporter

Sarah Chavey is a year-long fellow through the Collegiate Network. She is a graduate of Hillsdale College, in Michigan.
  •  

MORE IN NEWS

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  

Plot twist: the killer's wife's son is Tou Thao.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1