Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

this city is about to be curfew / lockdown 

Yep. Just like clockwork. Grave injustice. Peaceful protests. No arrests made. Protests become riots. Portion of rioters along with others loot. Officials plead for calm. Destruction of property etc...rioters injured and/or killed. Officials call in National Guard. Still no arrests made. Curfew imposed. I’m pretty sure the nexts steps will be just as predictable. Except I’m still banking On charges will be filed and arrests made. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 4

Poor? I live in a suburb that's 90% white and has good schools. The cops are always out in body armor and ready to throw down. They don't give a shit how much money anyone's making, they just want to be large and in charge.
I too live in a Suburb akin to yours. Same observation. Not sure when the last time was that they needed to go ham on some escapees.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yep. Just like clockwork. Grave injustice. Peaceful protests. No arrests made. Protests become riots. Portion of rioters along with others loot. Officials plead for calm. Destruction of property etc...rioters injured and/or killed. others join the racists/fascists in decrying looting. Officials, now with political cover on all sides because of white bourgeois class solidarity, call in National Guard. Still no arrests made. Curfew imposed. I’m pretty sure the nexts steps will be just as predictable. Except I’m still banking On charges will be filed and arrests made. 

fixed

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, naija said:

We’ve seen how people of a certain demographic respond to such nefarious instructions like “stay at home” and “wear a mask.” If the shoe were on the other foot and this was a visceral, lived experience for that demographic, looting would barely scratch the surface of what would happen.

BOOOM MFERS THIS

My guess is they are waiting for autopsy results before arresting. Would it be a civil rights violation to arrest the officer for murder if the autopsy later came back to show that the man died of a heart attack and the more appropriate charge would be manslaughter? What would the impact on sovereign immunity be if that was the case? Given that they would have the evidence on hand and are simply waiting for the autopsy it seems prudent to get the results first. That said, this looks pretty much like murder and has definitely been handled poorly by city officials, and protesting and rioting are understandable.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

My guess is they are waiting for autopsy results before arresting. Would it be a civil rights violation to arrest the officer for murder if the autopsy later came back to show that the man died of a heart attack and the more appropriate charge would be manslaughter? What would the impact on sovereign immunity be if that was the case? Given that they would have the evidence on hand and are simply waiting for the autopsy it seems prudent to get the results first. That said, this looks pretty much like murder and has definitely been handled poorly by city officials, and protesting and rioting are understandable.

Flip that shit around and have a suspect kill a cop on camera by kneeling on his neck for 7 minutes. Somehow I doubt the police would drag their feet in making an arrest. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

No.  It wouldn't be a civil rights violation.  Charges are changed all the time after the suspect is arrested.  Also, I'm not sure what the autopsy has to do with anything.  There's video of the officer with his knee on Floyd's neck for seven minutes as Floyd says he can't breathe.  The difference between murder and manslaughter is whether you have intent to kill.  Whether Floyd died of a broken neck, hypoxia, or a heart attack induced by hypoxia, the issue is whether the officer intended to kill him.  There's way more than enough evidence on that video to support a case for murder.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, huge said:

One thing that kills me when I see shit like this is........who else are we going to get?

99.9% of the well rounded level headed go getters on here would NEVER be a cop.

Sucks.

We can’t flush all these turds and just start over. The whole thing is infected and we can’t attract smart responsible people.

I don’t have any answers. Oh and those 4 pieces of shit can go to prison.

I mean, in theory, the solution is easy: pay them more. Require MUCH more training and education. Make it a lucrative, "prestigious" job that attracts better applicants and rejects all the wannabe tough guys with no other options just trying to get their pension.

As you say, right now, very few smart, responsible, well-rounded people would choose to become cops. Those who fall in that category and want to help those in need become doctors. Those who want to serve and be on the "front lines" join the military or apply to the FBI. Etc. (Oversimplified, I know.) Money is a surefire way to get the attention of people with options.

But obviously good fucking luck getting taxpayers to fund salary increases for police officers with this shit going on.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Damn, I'm sure the poor communities murdered constantly by police are sad to have let such an ally down.

I grew up in one of those poor communities so you can fuck right off.  

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I mean, in theory, the solution is easy: pay them more. Require MUCH more training and education. Make it a lucrative, "prestigious" job that attracts better applicants and rejects all the wannabe tough guys with no other options just trying to get their pension.

As you say, right now, very few smart, responsible, well-rounded people would choose to become cops. Those who fall in that category and want to help those in need become doctors. Those who want to serve and be on the "front lines" join the military or apply to the FBI. Etc. (Oversimplified, I know.) Money is a surefire way to get the attention of people with options.

But obviously good fucking luck getting taxpayers to fund salary increases for police officers with this shit going on.

IMO the biggest problem with policing isn’t the pay; it’s pretty easy to make 120-150k or more.  I think the problem is rooted in the power the FOP and other unions have gained over the years.  They make it impossible to get rid of bad actors.  Unions in policing should be limited to negotiating pay and benefits while stripped of any personnel powers. 

one solution I described on tos was to require each officer to carry insurance at their own expense like drs and malpractice. Cops like this asshole would of had to quit a while ago.   

• Like 7

On 5/26/2020 at 2:12 PM, markstanco said:

Yes it was.  The police officer got life in prison as well.

Just kidding, he got 12 years. 

And that's only because he was a black guy who shot a white woman.

Reverse those roles and he gets a desk job in St. Paul.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SDG said:

IMO the biggest problem with policing isn’t the pay; it’s pretty easy to make 120-150k or more. 

Yeah, but most people don't know that. If you Google "what do police officers make", the first results are Glassdoor showing $31k-$75k/year and Indeed which says the average salary in Austin is $53,000.

They need to restructure police compensation so that far less is tied to overtime/hazard pay/whatever and shift that over to base pay. It wouldn't cost a dime but would help to attract better candidates to the jobs. 

Obviously just a baby step but it should happen. It's ridiculous that we pay 1-2x salary for officers to do things that should be considered part of their job. Just convert it to base salary. You'd attract much better talent at $80k starting salary than $40k or whatever it is.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

You can't really fix the overtime issue. Making them salary isn't going to work. And I assume they get some sort of shift differential. You can't suddenly tell the night shift guys they are going to lose that. The problem is the perception that non-exempt jobs are always worse than exempt jobs and how websites and I think even government statistics report base pay instead of actual pay.

I heard a comedian do a bit where he said that the only way to fix police brutality is to only let African Americans be police officers.
Just get rid of these meathead white cops with little dick syndrome.

Daniel Tosh. He said whites can be firefighters since they tend to be more outdoorsy anyway. “Who wants tickets to the charity softball game now?”
  • Like 1

We can simplify what's happening in Minneapolis even further.

Just ask this simple question: in this society, does the rule of law apply?

When the powers-that-be demonstrate that no, the rule of law does not apply (by repeatedly demonstrating that the armed branch of the powers-that-be is not subject to the rule of law), then the question is answered rather definitively.

So, once it has been stated that in this society, the rule of law does not apply......imagine all of the shit that flows from that.  Yeah, it's "Lord of the Flies" type shit.

"Civilized society" is merely a collection of mutual agreements to behave a certain way.  The veneer is paper thin.  When some of the most fundamental of those agreements (like the agreement that there are protectors, employed and paid on behalf of society, who will uphold and enforce the law) are breached, the whole damned thing falls apart.  This is "human society 101" - it's how collections of human beings behave, and the consequences of certain behaviors.

You know how a lot of you point to shitty social situations and say "it all starts with the parents?"  You're not wrong.  When parents break the trust of their role -- to nurture and guide their children -- things go to shit in a hurry.  Well, the analog here is pretty spot-on -- when the protectors break the trust of their role, and become the perpetrators of violence, all while using the badge as an impenetrable shield from legal consequences...things go to shit in a hurry.

We can simplify what's happening in Minneapolis even further.
Just ask this simple question: in this society, does the rule of law apply?
When the powers-that-be demonstrate that no, the rule of law does not apply (by repeatedly demonstrating that the armed branch of the powers-that-be is not subject to the rule of law), then the question is answered rather definitively.
So, once it has been stated that in this society, the rule of law does not apply......imagine all of the shit that flows from that.  Yeah, it's "Lord of the Flies" type shit.
"Civilized society" is merely a collection of mutual agreements to behave a certain way.  The veneer is paper thin.  When some of the most fundamental of those agreements (like the agreement that there are protectors, employed and paid on behalf of society, who will uphold and enforce the law) are breached, the whole damned thing falls apart.  This is "human society 101" - it's how collections of human beings behave, and the consequences of certain behaviors.
You know how a lot of you point to shitty social situations and say "it all starts with the parents?"  You're not wrong.  When parents break the trust of their role -- to nurture and guide their children -- things go to shit in a hurry.  Well, the analog here is pretty spot-on -- when the protectors break the trust of their role, and become the perpetrators of violence, all while using the badge as an impenetrable shield from legal consequences...things go to shit in a hurry.

Real change can happen. It has happened before. It is going to take strong leadership at the local level and a few of these dirty cops being made real examples of.

“There’s no usual in something like this,” said Mark Osler, a former federal prosecutor and professor of law at the University of St. Thomas. “This should be a quicker and simpler investigation than most.”

It took four and half months for the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office not to charge the officers in the Jamar Clark case. It took four and half months to arrest Jeronimo Yanez in Philando Castile’s shooting. It was eight months before Mohammed Noor was charged in killing Justine Damond.

“In those cases, you had a lot of people interviewed, who were telling conflicting stories,” said Osler. “Any reasonable person would look at this and say this is going to be a quicker investigation that other, in part because the video evidence is so much more compelling and complete in terms of showing what a prosecutor will look for in terms of a crime, in this case murder.”
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/05/27/how-long-do-investigations-like-the-george-floyd-case-usually-take-good-question/

They are also speculating on what may be holding up charges. 

——————————————————————

Harrington said the BCA and the FBI are conducting joint investigations. On Tuesday, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said he had called the FBI to ask for a federal investigation into this case.

Osler said those investigations generally take longer. It took federal prosecutors six and a half months to decide not to charge the officers in Jamar Clark’s case.

“Just because federal officials move more deliberately on that, and that’s not a bad thing, that’s something that often is necessary,” Osler said.

He also said he believes the case against former Officer Derek Chauvin, the man whose knee was on Floyd’s neck, is more clear-cut. He said a decision on charges against the other three men might take longer.

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait....are you genuinely suggesting that I'm lying about the event with my dad?  Because the memory literally kept me awake last night - hadn't thought about it in years, but there it was.

Yes he is.  His bootlicking ways demand that he does.  His kind never change.

They are the oxygen that badged murderers survive on.  The ones who drive the dump trucks full of benefit of the doubt whenever an LEO kills another piece of shit, lowly citizen.

They love their jobs as much as their "Back The Blue" window stickers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

I heard a comedian do a bit where he said that the only way to fix police brutality is to only let African Americans be police officers.

Just get rid of these meathead white cops with little dick syndrome.

There are plenty of dickhead/meathead black cops.

Plenty my man.

The cops being absolute human shaped viruses has a racist component, a BIG one, but the problem doesn't end there.  Aside from that component they absolutely believe they are better than average citizens and do not need to obey/follow the same laws they enforce.  Couple that with the fact that many of them sport low IQs with gigantic chips on their shoulders and you get what we have here.  

If you're white don't think they won't fuck you up too.  They will.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cajun said:

There are plenty of dickhead/meathead black cops.

Plenty my man.

The cops being absolute human shaped viruses has a racist component, a BIG one, but the problem doesn't end there.  Aside from that component they absolutely believe they are better than average citizens and do not need to obey/follow the same laws they enforce.  Couple that with the fact that many of them sport low IQs with gigantic chips on their shoulders and you get what we have here.  

If you're white don't think they won't fuck you up too.  They will.

One bad apple is all it takes, and for others too turn a blind eye when things go the wrong direction. Even if they see something they don't agree with they don't want to "snitch" on their partner/fellow cop. It's the code. Throw in the issues with the Union and it makes it that much more difficult. 

It's a awful circle that has no easy answer. 

Every good cop just had their job become that much harder because some asshat in Minnesota forgot what protect and serve means. 

And obviously the worst part is it had to be on video and someone had to die. 

31 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

“There’s no usual in something like this,” said Mark Osler, a former federal prosecutor and professor of law at the University of St. Thomas. “This should be a quicker and simpler investigation than most.”

It took four and half months for the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office not to charge the officers in the Jamar Clark case. It took four and half months to arrest Jeronimo Yanez in Philando Castile’s shooting. It was eight months before Mohammed Noor was charged in killing Justine Damond.

“In those cases, you had a lot of people interviewed, who were telling conflicting stories,” said Osler. “Any reasonable person would look at this and say this is going to be a quicker investigation that other, in part because the video evidence is so much more compelling and complete in terms of showing what a prosecutor will look for in terms of a crime, in this case murder.”
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/05/27/how-long-do-investigations-like-the-george-floyd-case-usually-take-good-question/

They are also speculating on what may be holding up charges. 

——————————————————————

Harrington said the BCA and the FBI are conducting joint investigations. On Tuesday, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said he had called the FBI to ask for a federal investigation into this case.

Osler said those investigations generally take longer. It took federal prosecutors six and a half months to decide not to charge the officers in Jamar Clark’s case.

“Just because federal officials move more deliberately on that, and that’s not a bad thing, that’s something that often is necessary,” Osler said.

He also said he believes the case against former Officer Derek Chauvin, the man whose knee was on Floyd’s neck, is more clear-cut. He said a decision on charges against the other three men might take longer.

In all the examples the former prosecutor gave it involved at least some analysis of the heat of the moment- did the officer think they were in danger, was it reasonable, etc.  These things obviously take time.

In this case it should take about 8 minutes, or one review of the video, to show he was in no fear of his life and his actions were not reasonable.  Now charging the other 3 may take some time, but not him.