Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

Just now, Not a cat said:

In all the examples the former prosecutor gave it involved at least some analysis of the heat of the moment- did the officer think they were in danger, was it reasonable, etc.  These things obviously take time.

In this case it should take about 8 minutes, or one review of the video, to show he was in no fear of his life and his actions were not reasonable.  Now charging the other 3 may take some time, but not him.

I was wondering if they want to charge all of those that will be charged at the same time. Arrest them at the same time. No question Derek Chauvin should have already been charged and arrested. The original Video is clear cut. 

I understand police released a longer video last night attempting to exonerate one of the other 3 cops. Apparently no new light is shed. It is 20 minutes long.  Something to do with 1 of the other 3 officers was 118 feet away from the “murder in progress” and didn’t have the vantage point to see what was happening/too far away to intervene.

again, consider the source. Daily Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8364261/Minneapolis-police-release-bodycam-footage-arrest-George-Floyd.html

14 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

Every good cop just had their job become that much harder because some asshat in Minnesota forgot what protect and serve means. 

....and because all of those "good cops" allow cops like Chauvin to continue to police like this, covering for him and backing him up.  That's a really, really, really important part of the problem.  The MOST important part, actually.

Nobody expects any profession or group to be made of 100% angels.  There's gonna be a bad guy in every group -- hell, there are evil bartenders and shit.

All that needs to be done is when these people are brought to the attention of others in the profession who can do something about it, the profession takes action.  That's it.  It's that easy. If the culture among cops was one of "protect the people from all lawbreakers, whoever they may be," instead of "back the blue, no matter what," all of these problems would go away.  Chauvin would have been drummed out of the force years ago.

• Like 4

Just now, Brisketexan said:

....and because all of those "good cops" allow cops like Chauvin to continue to police like this, covering for him and backing him up.  That's a really, really, really important part of the problem.  The MOST important part, actually.

Nobody expects any profession or group to be made of 100% angels.  There's gonna be a bad guy in every group -- hell, there are evil bartenders and shit.

All that needs to be done is when these people are brought to the attention of others in the profession who can do something about it, the profession takes action.  That's it.  It's that easy. If the culture among cops was one of "protect the people from all lawbreakers, whoever they may be," instead of "back the blue, no matter what," all of these problems would go away.  Chauvin would have been drummed out of the force years ago.

correct which is why I said that exact same thing in the first part of my post. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I mean, in theory, the solution is easy: pay them more. Require MUCH more training and education. Make it a lucrative, "prestigious" job that attracts better applicants and rejects all the wannabe tough guys with no other options just trying to get their pension.

As you say, right now, very few smart, responsible, well-rounded people would choose to become cops. Those who fall in that category and want to help those in need become doctors. Those who want to serve and be on the "front lines" join the military or apply to the FBI. Etc. (Oversimplified, I know.) Money is a surefire way to get the attention of people with options.

But obviously good fucking luck getting taxpayers to fund salary increases for police officers with this shit going on.

One of the weird consequences of being a mortgage lender is I tend to know what everyone makes.  I've done a number of loans for law enforcement with really good incomes, particularly once the pension is taken into account. 

It's not unusual to see HPD, for example, getting six figures.  Obviously they have lots of opportunities for side work providing event security, as well.  I did a loan a few years ago (small sample size and obviously may be unrepresentative) for an APD captain about to retire and he had $2m in assets banked plus three houses, two of which were paid off. 

In Austin they start at $60k, which is fairly commensurate with starting pay at the FBI (not sure if APD requires a degree but obviously the FBI does). 

In summary, it's unlikely to be an income issue (at least locally; I know NYPD, for example, pays for shit or at least used to).  I think it really comes down to leadership and culture. 

2 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

correct which is why I said that exact same thing in the first part of my post. 

Wasn't criticizing your take -- was just using it to emphasize the point.

To go with an analogy we all understand well these days, viruses happen.  They will crop up now and then, it's the nature of life on this planet.  What makes them bad is when you allow them to spread instead of stomping them out immediately.  Oppressive, lawless policing is a virus.  And the culture of law enforcement is actually dedicated to allowing that virus to spread and flourish, which is all the more fucking ironic because THEIR ACTUAL JOB IS TO STOMP OUT THE VIRUS OF LAWLESSNESS.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Cajun said:

There are plenty of dickhead/meathead black cops.

Plenty my man.

The cops being absolute human shaped viruses has a racist component, a BIG one, but the problem doesn't end there.  Aside from that component they absolutely believe they are better than average citizens and do not need to obey/follow the same laws they enforce.  Couple that with the fact that many of them sport low IQs with gigantic chips on their shoulders and you get what we have here.  

If you're white don't think they won't fuck you up too.  They will.

Exactly.  Look at that AZ hotel murder.

There's definitely racial disparity, but it's gotten to the point where it don't matter what color your skin.  They can find a way to justify your killing if they want to, and they're going to get away with it.  Even the black cop/white chick shooting in Minneapolis was only a 12 year sentence.  Take away the badge, and that guy is in for life.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Color me shocked. Mississippi mayor doesn’t think Minneapolis cop did anything wrong. The cop is the victim because he’s being crucified. 

He raises a good point. George Floyd could clearly breathe. So he must have suffocated to death for some other reason.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Exactly.  Look at that AZ hotel murder.

There's definitely racial disparity, but it's gotten to the point where it don't matter what color your skin.  They can find a way to justify your killing if they want to, and they're going to get away with it.  Even the black cop/white chick shooting in Minneapolis was only a 12 year sentence.  Take away the badge, and that guy is in for life.

I reviewed that case this morning.  Holy shit that was bad.  Not only did he walk, he was rehired briefly so he could get his pension before "medically retiring".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I wish they knew the difference between protesting and rioting/looting.  It would go a long way

Let me say as I've always said, and I will always continue to say, that riots are socially destructive and self-defeating. I'm still convinced that nonviolence is the most potent weapon available to oppressed people in their struggle for freedom and justice. I feel that violence will only create more social problems than they will solve. That in a real sense it is impracticable for the Negro to even think of mounting a violent revolution in the United States. So I will continue to condemn riots, and continue to say to my brothers and sisters that this is not the way. And continue to affirm that there is another way.

But at the same time, it is as necessary for me to be as vigorous in condemning the conditions which cause persons to feel that they must engage in riotous activities as it is for me to condemn riots. I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation's summers of riots are caused by our nation's winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention.

- MLK, "The Other America", 1967

• Like 6

As a chaser to the MLK quote - the police sure do care about protecting the murderer

A fucking company-level deployment of cops protecting a murderer while the city burns because of his actions and their collective inaction against him.

Edited by Captainant

20 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I reviewed that case this morning.  Holy shit that was bad.  Not only did he walk, he was rehired briefly so he could get his pension before "medically retiring".

The fine people of Az, like myself, got stuck with his pension, medical bills, and a lifetime of counseling because he got ptsd from murdering Daniel Shaver.   It’s a war out there you know... 

28 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Even the black cop/white chick shooting in Minneapolis was only a 12 year sentence.  Take away the badge, and that guy is in for life.

That whole thing was a fiasco.  That guy never should have been anywhere other than on a desk and every psych test or evaluation of him screamed that he was a danger to the public.  Not because he was psychotic like the present case, but because he was jumpy as hell and had bad judgement.  But he was still hired for political reasons.  

That one, imo is on the mayor's office or whoever forced that hire.  I actually felt bad for the guy.  I mean, not as much as for the dead girl, but he was set up to fail by an incompetent administration.  

Quote from someone there last night

"Just so people are clear about what happened in Minneapolis last night. Police did not unload on the protesters to stop looting. That was happening way off in the distance. Police were unloading on everyone protesting in front of Precinct 3. The arson and widespread looting down the lake street, only happened after loads of us were hurt from volley after volley of tear gas, mace, concussion grenades, and sponge rounds. It was completely indiscriminate I was hit in the butt while walking in the street away from the precinct. A CS canister hit me square in the forehead knocking me to the ground and blinding me for an hour while I was simply kneeling in a grassy area some ways from the police. Police weren't 'responding' to an ongoing riot they CAUSED it. First with their murder of George Floyd and refusal to prosecute the criminals, and second through their massive repression against protesters who never crossed a police line or endangered any cop. The photos your all seeing is the righteous fury of a people denied justice by their city.
Thanks to Matthew Hainer"

100953544_4622508171093458_9012108294986

As a chaser to the MLK quote - the police sure do care about protecting the murderer
https://v.redd.it/w85o0813ah151
A fucking company-level deployment of cops protecting a murderer while the city burns because of his actions and their collective inaction against him.
Like the vast majority of police officers, he doesn't live in the city he works (that's a discussion for another thread). The department that went to his house had no role to play at the scene of the protests.

There was a legitimate threat to the safety of the residents of that house as well as the people protesting,so they responded. The amount of officers on scene was likely to ensure their own safety, and deter violence- which appears to have worked.

Every good cop just had their job become that much harder because some asshat in Minnesota forgot what protect and serve means. 

Ask yourself this question, and be honest about the answer:  How many of those you deem "good cops" in this statement would have stopped knee boy as he was committing murder and arrested him on the spot?

Again, be honest.

If you are you'll realize that there are really very, very few "good cops".

@HoffaJimmy

Edited by Cajun

2 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Like the vast majority of police officers, he doesn't live in the city he works (that's a discussion for another thread). The department that went to his house had no role to play at the scene of the protests.

There was a legitimate threat to the safety of the residents of that house as well as the people protesting,so they responded. The amount of officers on scene was likely to ensure their own safety, and deter violence- which appears to have worked.

Or the army of cops could have turned around and arrested the murderer they were protecting, and the protesters wouldn't be gathering at his house.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I just thought it was hyperbole, a joke. Stop being a pussy. 

I mean he didn't say black "men are disease"

"I know what I said."

That would be racist, right?

The looters included people of all races -- from what I have seen more whites than black.  And are idiots who would not steal a book.

Edited by Johnny Sack

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Or the army of cops could have turned around and arrested the murderer they were protecting, and the protesters wouldn't be gathering at his house.

I am still trying to figure out which entity will be filing the charges. County/State government/Feds? If I had to bet, Feds. 

My mistake for commenting before watching the video. I think it's still unlikely that MPD was there so my main point stands, but that was multiple jurisdictions on scene- and a metric shit ton of cops.

I cant really argue with anyone who thinks it an excessive show of force other than to say that there maybe there was Intel indicating a specific threat involving an organized group of people at that location.

The optics are certainly bad though and it's fair game to question the motives and priorities.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Well the book collection at Target sucks.

Why go for anything other than electronics? I mean, you’re likely to be seen on camera and if the authorities are able to track you down you will be arrested. So why fuck around in the piss poor book collection? 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Why go for anything other than electronics? I mean, you’re likely to be seen on camera and if the authorities are able to track you down you will be arrested. So why fuck around in the piss poor book collection? 

I mean, who wants to risk jail for stealing 10 copies of the latest James Patterson novel?

4 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

I cant really argue with anyone who thinks it an excessive show of force other than to say that there maybe there was Intel indicating a specific threat involving an organized group of people at that location.

And visually, here's the contrast:

To protect a murderer, the local PD preemptively brought out dozens of cops to perform a protective phalanx.

To stop a murder that was ACTUALLY HAPPENING RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM, three MPD cops did nothing.  Not a single word or action to stop the murder.

Dozens of cops are protecting Chauvin.  No cops protected George Floyd.

• Like 4

And visually, here's the contrast:
To protect a murderer, the local PD preemptively brought out dozens of cops to perform a protective phalanx.
To stop a murder that was ACTUALLY HAPPENING RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM, three MPD cops did nothing.  Not a single word or action to stop the murder.
Dozens of cops are protecting Chauvin.  No cops protected George Floyd.
Yup. Won't argue with any of that.
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

Just a guy fishing for attention.  And it's working.  Damn shame he died in 2023 from a coronary event.  Or so it said on the paperwork.  

In the below article there a lot of stuff about who George Floyd was as a person. A human being. Didn’t know he grew up in Houston. The types of jobs he had etc...for those who haven’t read much about who he was it is a quick read. 
 And then there was this tidbit (also details which entities are currently involved and investigating Floyd’s murder):

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/us/george-floyd-trnd/index.html

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is conducting its own investigation into possible violations of Minnesota statutes, the FBI said.
The Major Cities Chiefs Association, an organization of police executives representing the largest cities in the US and Canada, released a statement Wednesday calling the actions of the officers involved in Floyd's death "inconsistent with the training and protocols of our profession." 
The organization's current president is Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo.

Edited by Nicole44

I am still trying to figure out which entity will be filing the charges. County/State government/Feds? If I had to bet, Feds. 
Hennepin County most likely. Feds could charge for a civil rights violation, but it's not their nature to work quickly. The county attorney will write the petition.

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

In the below article there a lot of stuff about who George Floyd was as a person. A human being. Didn’t know he grew up in Houston. The types of jobs he had etc...for those who haven’t read much about who he was it is a quick read. 
 And then there was this tidbit (also details which entities are currently involved and investigating Floyd’s murder):

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/us/george-floyd-trnd/index.html

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is conducting its own investigation into possible violations of Minnesota statutes, the FBI said.
The Major Cities Chiefs Association, an organization of police executives representing the largest cities in the US and Canada, released a statement Wednesday calling the actions of the officers involved in Floyd's death "inconsistent with the training and protocols of our profession." 
The organization's current president is Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo.

I'd expect Acevedo to be all over this.  He wants to run for Governor or Senator. 

3 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I'd expect Acevedo to be all over this.  He wants to run for Governor or Senator. 

And if he could actually run on a platform of cleaning up police bullshit, and accomplish any of it, he'd be worth voting for.  But, umm, his track record ain't the best.

9 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

And I'll say something positive -- this statement is a start.  It doesn't go far enough.  It needs to unequivocally state that no one is above the law, especially those sworn to uphold it.  But it's a start.  It's a shit-ton better than the typical closing of ranks and defending the indefensible.  But it's but one tiny step....let's see how they keep it up.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

And I'll say something positive -- this statement is a start.  It doesn't go far enough.  It needs to unequivocally state that no one is above the law, especially those sworn to uphold it.  But it's a start.  It's a shit-ton better than the typical closing of ranks and defending the indefensible.  But it's but one tiny step....let's see how they keep it up.

Well, it’s certainly better than “Let’s not rush to judgment” or “Let’s wait until all the facts are in” so as you say, it’s a start. Hopefully, they keep it up. 

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Or all the romance novels.

I’d be scoping out the DVDs/BlueRays (I have a dual player lol) because there are a lot of movies you’ll likely never be able to stream. Like Critters! If you can enjoy random 80’s movies for no reason...

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Quote from someone there last night

"Just so people are clear about what happened in Minneapolis last night. Police did not unload on the protesters to stop looting. That was happening way off in the distance. Police were unloading on everyone protesting in front of Precinct 3. The arson and widespread looting down the lake street, only happened after loads of us were hurt from volley after volley of tear gas, mace, concussion grenades, and sponge rounds. It was completely indiscriminate I was hit in the butt while walking in the street away from the precinct. A CS canister hit me square in the forehead knocking me to the ground and blinding me for an hour while I was simply kneeling in a grassy area some ways from the police. Police weren't 'responding' to an ongoing riot they CAUSED it. First with their murder of George Floyd and refusal to prosecute the criminals, and second through their massive repression against protesters who never crossed a police line or endangered any cop. The photos your all seeing is the righteous fury of a people denied justice by their city.
Thanks to Matthew Hainer"

100953544_4622508171093458_9012108294986

Did Minneapolis recruit Akita to tear down and burn a fence? Clever strategy

• Like 2