Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Perhaps you missed the fact that the murderer is a cop.  I know, a lot of people didn't  catch that the first time they followed this story, it's easy to miss.  It's a real twist, and it totally explains how there's no crime here.

Reading the Twitter; the evidence may be cause of death related and how to charge murder if it comes back heart attack or something else...  imho it’s the but he had weed in his apartment when the cop came in and shot him defense but I’m not. Dr or lawyer so grain of salt applies.  

flipside, is if "victims" start taking it out on people/ businesses who might possibly support them, the script flips. mighty quickly.

They still need to be smart about their targets(sic.)

Edited by Iceman

Just now, SDG said:

Reading the Twitter; the evidence may be cause of death related and how to charge murder if it comes back heart attack or something else...  imho it’s the but he had weed in his apartment when the cop came in and shot him defense but I’m not. Dr or lawyer so grain of salt applies.  

He was clearly in physical distress, caused by the position and pinch point he was in.  I mean, sure, it was his body straining for oxygen that caused his heart to give out, but the bottom line is, that means it was a heart attack, that just by total coincidence, happened at the time he was having his ability to breathe throttled.  I mean, how wacky is that, what are the odds!  Just bad luck, man!

Guest Lobo

Wait, posting about Blacks protesting their unjust murder belongs in Cloak Room now?  I'm not being sarcastic, I wanna know the new rules.  

I realize there is a slight political bent here, but I was under the impression that we could discuss how murdering black people for no reason was kinda wrong. 

If this ain't gonna stand, let's have it all out in the open right now.  

2 minutes ago, Iceman said:

flipside, is if "victims" start taking it out on people/ businesses who might possibly support them, the script flips. mighty quickly.

They still need to be smart about their targets(sic.)

Have you ever been completely enraged?

How smart were you in that moment?

Don't count on it.

We've brought this on ourselves.  Tolerating it forever.  Electing city officials who bow to the police unions and their apologists.  We the people have had tens of thousands/millions of chances to take a stand and demand better.....and we haven't stood firm for shit.  Someday, maybe soon, we're going to get what's coming to us.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

He was clearly in physical distress, caused by the position and pinch point he was in.  I mean, sure, it was his body straining for oxygen that caused his heart to give out, but the bottom line is, that means it was a heart attack, that just by total coincidence, happened at the time he was having his ability to breathe throttled.  I mean, how wacky is that, what are the odds!  Just bad luck, man!

I agree but that defense did work in the Eric Garner case so the defense is going to play it. You’re an attorney so you know that.  

51 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There are cops in Houston who write lots of tickets.  So they have a lot of court days where they get paid overtime to testify.  So what they do is sign in around 7:30 at courts. Then, while on taxpayer time and half, they go work their side job at H-E-B or elsewhere.  And then the corrupt bailiff calls them in the unlikely event their testimony on one of their bullshit 1,000 tickets they wrote that month calls them to come by and testify. 

I saw that crap every time I worked as a volunteer prosecutor in the muni courts.  95 percent of HPD is as corrupt as shit.  They lie.  They cover.  They take money under the table from attorneys to forget the misdemeanor case they wrote a ticket on.  

Remember this story? This guy got greedy.

https://www.chron.com/news/article/HPD-officer-who-committed-suicide-was-under-5701237.php

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-cop-facing-ticket-rigging-allegations-commits-suicide/

Edited by Grandioso

Just now, SDG said:

I agree but that defense did work in the Eric Garner case so the defense is going to play it. You’re an attorney so you know that.  

Oh, I know it.

And it will work.  It always does.  The apparatus on the side of law enforcement is an 800 pound gorilla carrying 200 pound sledgehammers.  The apparatus on the side of victimized civilians has the weight of a gutted hummingbird.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Have you ever been completely enraged?

How smart were you in that moment?

Don't count on it.

We've brought this on ourselves.  Tolerating it forever.  Electing city officials who bow to the police unions and their apologists.  We the people have had tens of thousands/millions of chances to take a stand and demand better.....and we haven't stood firm for shit.  Someday, maybe soon, we're going to get what's coming to us.

agreed, but why would I tear up my own shit?   I'm going for the judge's house to help his thought process...

or that of the cop(s.)

Yes, i've been pissed before, so i know I'd act upon it and not care about the consequences.   That being said, i ain't shitting in my own bed.

When the riots occur on the homefield, the outsiders/ decision makers have nothing to fear.

Edited by Iceman

46 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There are quite a few good prosecutors around. I’ve seen them.  The ones who care about justice over their conviction rate.  

Prosecutors need justice drilled in their heads.  Not winking at all cost.  Sometimes a loss or no bill is a win. 

Was hyperbole on my part.  Not by much, but it was.

Part of the problem I see with DAs is that they tend to be using it as a stepping stone to higher office.  Which means they are a) comfortable with traditional, bad roles of prosecutors and b) susceptible to being "tough on crime."

Most of the good prosecutors don't rise out of the career ranks and probably don't even stick very long.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

“There’s no usual in something like this,” said Mark Osler, a former federal prosecutor and professor of law at the University of St. Thomas. “This should be a quicker and simpler investigation than most.”

It took four and half months for the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office not to charge the officers in the Jamar Clark case. It took four and half months to arrest Jeronimo Yanez in Philando Castile’s shooting. It was eight months before Mohammed Noor was charged in killing Justine Damond.

“In those cases, you had a lot of people interviewed, who were telling conflicting stories,” said Osler. “Any reasonable person would look at this and say this is going to be a quicker investigation that other, in part because the video evidence is so much more compelling and complete in terms of showing what a prosecutor will look for in terms of a crime, in this case murder.”
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/05/27/how-long-do-investigations-like-the-george-floyd-case-usually-take-good-question/

They are also speculating on what may be holding up charges. 

——————————————————————

Harrington said the BCA and the FBI are conducting joint investigations. On Tuesday, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said he had called the FBI to ask for a federal investigation into this case.

Osler said those investigations generally take longer. It took federal prosecutors six and a half months to decide not to charge the officers in Jamar Clark’s case.

“Just because federal officials move more deliberately on that, and that’s not a bad thing, that’s something that often is necessary,” Osler said.

He also said he believes the case against former Officer Derek Chauvin, the man whose knee was on Floyd’s neck, is more clear-cut. He said a decision on charges against the other three men might take longer.

I took Crim. Pro and advanced Crim. Pro from Mark Osler.

/csb

14 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

When listening to that press conference closely it quickly became obvious that they’re already working toward the standard ”no charges” solution.

I very much suspect/fear that will be the case.

And when that is announced, a lot of Minneapolis is going to burn, and people are going to die.  It's inevitable.  This is the system working AS DESIGNED.  THIS IS HOW LEADERSHIP WANTS IT TO BE.  It's truly un-fucking-believable.  The absolute arrogance, and disregard for any notion of justice -- I shouldn't be shocked, yet here I am.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Iceman said:

agreed, but why would I tear up my own shit?   I'm going for the judge's house to help his thought process...

or that of the cop(s.)

Yes, i've been pissed before, so i know I'd act upon it and not care about the consequences.   That being said, i ain't shitting in my own bed.

When the riots occur on the homefield, the outsiders/ decision makers have nothing to fear.

Because if they go to the judge's house they will get teargassed and possibly shot?  Do you think that if these protestors showed up at the police precinct or the DA's house armed to the teeth like certain other people protesting other things did recently things would have a happy ending? 

Just now, Continental Op said:

Because if they go to the judge's house they will get teargassed and possibly shot?  Do you think that if these protestors showed up at the police precinct or the DA's house armed to the teeth like certain other people protesting other things did recently things would have a happy ending? 

there is no happy ending for this story.

That is painfully and outrageously obvious.

3 minutes ago, Iceman said:

there is no happy ending for this story.

That is painfully and outrageously obvious.

I agree there's no happy ending here.  Let me rephrase my question:  If the Minneapolis protestors showed up at the police precinct or the DA's house with rifles galore do you think they would be allowed to do their thing and then  go on their merry way like the people who stormed government buildings while armed to protest for their haircut rights? 

Edited by Continental Op

7 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

I agree there's no happy ending here.  Let me rephrase my question:  If the Minneapolis protestors showed up at the police precinct or the DA's house with rifles galore do you think they would be allowed to do their thing and then  go on their merry way like the people who stormed government buildings while armed to protest for their haircut rights? 

You know the first night that many of the protesters has guns right?  It was much more peaceful before the opportunist arrived day 2.   

15 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

no

"allowed" is a peculiar term for the discussion of rioting/ (persuasive) demonstration.

54 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Wait, posting about Blacks protesting their unjust murder belongs in Cloak Room now?  I'm not being sarcastic, I wanna know the new rules.  

I realize there is a slight political bent here, but I was under the impression that we could discuss how murdering black people for no reason was kinda wrong. 

If this ain't gonna stand, let's have it all out in the open right now.  

Consider the pot stirrer source. As always, doesn’t give a shit about the issues at hand, just enjoys the ensuing disaster and likes to drive by post. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Continental Op said:

Were they brandishing them while screaming in the faces of cops?  Serious question.  I didn't see much in the way of coverage of night 1.

Not yelling at cops that I saw but had AR’s or variants and believe it or not AA.  I’ll try to find the interview I saw; I just remember one of the interviewees was military of some sort.   

53 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

The union lawyer is probably going to send this cop to a shady doctor, claim his meniscus was torn because of the awkward angle his knee took, and then get his client full lifetime disability benefits. 

A very strange part of this is that no one has heard so much as a peep from Bob Kroll and the police union. Normally he's out in front of the camera, talking trash and trying to negotiate through the media. 

• Like 1

There are quite a few good prosecutors around. I’ve seen them.  The ones who care about justice over their conviction rate.  

Prosecutors need justice drilled in their heads.  Not winking at all cost.  Sometimes a loss or no bill is a win. 

This is precisely why I switched over to the prosecutor’s office. Hoping to just do justice and take up a job that might otherwise go to some fucking career-ladder obsessed, conviction rate fluffer law school gunner.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

Were they brandishing them while screaming in the faces of cops?  Serious question.  I didn't see much in the way of coverage of night 1.

I'll retract; it was a Hannity interview so can't be posted here unless I can find a non-Fox interview in the twitter world...  

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

agreed.

I was being sincere in asking-  how does the community...hell, nation at this point, make their point in the most actionable place?

Maybe kneeling for the national anthem?  How would you feel about that?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I thought they were recording all deaths as Covid deaths?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

I haven't engaged in any arguments here. I've shared insight that I feel adds to the discussion and/ or clarifies things.

I, like everyone else, am mortified by the murder I witnessed on that video.

I, like many here have been victimized by law enforcement in a significant, traumatic, life changing way- not just by individual officers involved, but by the system.

I, UNLIKE anyone here, suffered my injustice directly at the hands of the Minneapolis Police Department.

So fuck off. As much as you may want me to, I don't fit your narrative of a sympathizer or apologist.

I got you confused w/another poster.

A thousand pardons. 

Your pissedoffedness is appropriate.

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Maybe kneeling for the national anthem?  How would you feel about that?

It is an exercise in liberty.  I have expressed that ad nauseum on here.

Not sure it gets the message across( see also: people changing their story 5 times)

Edited by Iceman

I see the word “meticulous” a lot in the latest round of articles. US District Attorney, Erica McDonald:

“United States Attorney Erica McDonald says they're conducting a "robust and meticulous" criminal investigation into the police-related death of George Floyd.

We have assigned the highest of the high in my office to investigate and look at the case," McDonald said. "FBI, likewise, has assigned their experienced law enforcement officers to conduct the investigation." She added that President Donald Trump and Attorney General William Barr are "directly and actively monitoring the investigation."

McDonald said the investigation will determine whether the former officers violated any federal laws, including civil rights violations.

"It must be proven that the subject took action, or did not take action, when he or she knew that was wrong and chose to do it anyway," McDonald said. "As with all matters, the investigation in this case will be comprehensive and will be conducted with the highest integrity, as the community would expect."

McDonald stressed the importance that the investigation must be conducted correctly. 

"It must be done right, and it must be done right the first time ... our highest priority is that justice will be served." McDonald said.

https://www.kare11.com/mobile/article/news/local/george-floyd/us-attorney-mcdonald-our-highest-priority-is-that-justice-will-be-served/89-b6d84af2-2492-45f5-81ae-5952a1e433d6

What the above tells me is that the Feds are in charge. The investigation will take a few months. It will be “robust” and “meticulous.” I don’t think that means that charges will not be filed. But it does mean that their time table will not be influenced by anything other than their investigation. JMO. 

They also gave the Standard of Proof in that statement as well. "It must be proven that the subject took action, or did not take action, when he or she knew that was wrong and chose to do it anyway.”

TLDR: Feds appear to be in charge. Investigation will be lengthy and slow. 

Edited by Nicole44

Guest Lobo

"fucking guy wasn't wearing a mask, ladies and gentlemen of the supposed jury.  What do you expect an officer of the law to do to get home at night to his family?"  

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

I look at the rioting this way:

If you shit your pants,  I say "eeeew. Gross."

If you shit in my pants it gets my attention.

All those violent protests like Rosa Parks, the Million Man March, MLK and everything else that led to real change. Looting 5 TVs from Target shows you’re a thief, not a race victim seeking social justice.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

All those violent protests like Rosa Parks, the Million Man March, MLK and everything else that led to real change. Looting 5 TVs from Target shows you’re a thief, not a race victim seeking social justice.

We were less racist back then. Wait, what?