Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

That article is for events that happened Wednesday night, not last night. But I'd bet we're gonna see a whole lot more of it now that it's been rhetorically greenlit by the president

Are you saying you wouldn’t defend your business if it was under attack from looters?  Interesting strategy, Cotton.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

^

Well to be fair, tradition in Minnesota is you take a break midday from the rioting and the arson.  So there's really nothing going on right now up there, news is quiet.  Things'll ramp up around 3 or 4.  

Take the Kap talk to the politics thread.

I've already banned several people for political talk on this thread.
From this point on anything remotely political or the moderation of this thread will be taking a day off. Want to discuss the moderation? Start a thread in the board forum.

STFU about your political views.

This thread is for news 

From this point on anything remotely political or the moderation of this thread will be taking a day off. Want to discuss the moderation? Start a thread in the board forum.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, BERT said:

Came to the last page for the latest news on this and apparently stepped through a worm hole that took me back a few years with all this Kaepernick talk. 

Just shows how long ago someone brought this to the mainstream and the same people are still ignoring it or writing it off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

No one denied him his right to kneel. 

In fact, many like them on their knees and subject to scorn. It's a great tradition here in the United States of Aggy.

The line of cops in the background as American reporters are handcuffed and hauled away has depressed me. That, absolutely no doubt, tens of millions are cheering that black scene pushes my heart even deeper.

No one could really imagine this for the US in 2019. The ease with which the whole scene takes place is worse than what I recall of the 60s and 70s.  Then, it was gut wrenching to all. Now with 150 channels to watch, it gets washed out amid the Kardashians, cat vids, and distractions for all level of brow.

We're watching something really bad here. Tragic.

• Like 2

Guest Lobo

Well, actually Minnesota Governor just gave a press conference.  Said justice for Floyd would be swift, took full responsibility for the erroneous CNN arrests.  And deployed AG Ellison and his team to investigate the MPD effective today.  Couldn't hear everything but wow, it was bold, honest, and showed leadership.  I have no idea who this guy is but I do now.  

Weekend rioting expected to get worse before it gets better.  More national guard being called out by MN governor as well.

^
Well to be fair, tradition in Minnesota is you take a break midday from the rioting and the arson.  So there's really nothing going on right now up there, news is quiet.  Things'll ramp up around 3 or 4.  

Didn’t they do the same in St. Louis, Baltimore? I don’t remember much happening in daylight

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Didn’t they do the same in St. Louis, Baltimore? I don’t remember much happening in daylight

I dunno, the video I saw this morning between 5-9am was a shitshow.  I don't know if it was early risers or people still up from last night.  But it looked insane this morning, very unlike St. Louis and Baltimore.  I guess part of it is people not having to go to work this morning due to Covid-19.  

A focus on "looting" is to intentionally avoid the reasons for the underlying rage. And that's exactly what it is, pure rage at this point after years of being ignored in pleas for justice and reform. Even if you think the looting is wrong--and we can debate that in a civil manner--don't let it take precedent over the underlying issue. To do so just goes to show that you don't really care about the issue and should probably just stfu.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I dunno, the video I saw this morning between 5-9am was a shitshow.  I don't know if it was early risers or people still up from last night.  But it looked insane this morning, very unlike St. Louis and Baltimore.  I guess part of it is people not having to go to work this morning due to Covid-19.  

That's going to be a huge factor in the unrest happening nationwide.  You have multiple sparks (georgia murder, Louisville no-knock raid killing a female EMT, the Floyd murder).  And you have a huge pile of "tinder" in the form of millions of formerly employed, now unemployed people with nothing else to do.  Layer on the fact that most of those newly unemployed are from the more economically marginalized classes -- service industry, etc. -- and that tinder is dry as a bone, and there's a lot of it ready to burn.

A confluence of very bad factors if your goal is a peaceful society.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, BNB said:

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the businesses burned were burned by owners that were having problems staying afloat.

(zips up duffel bag)...I wouldn't know anything about that.  

1 hour ago, riloh05 said:

N.W.A. was right many years ago...

And yet you still have so much of America that subscribes to the whole "well they probably deserved it". Nothing will ever open their eyes because they don't care about the people it's happening to. The police in this country has been on a power trip forever. What we see on tv is only a small fraction how corrupt they are.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

And yet you still have so much of America that subscribes to the whole "well they probably deserved it". Nothing will ever open their eyes because they don't care about the people it's happening to. The police in this country has been on a power trip forever. What we see on tv is only a small fraction how corrupt they are.

And it won’t happen to them

Ah, privilege 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

A focus on "looting" is to intentionally avoid the reasons for the underlying rage. And that's exactly what it is, pure rage at this point after years of being ignored in pleas for justice and reform. Even if you think the looting is wrong--and we can debate that in a civil manner--don't let it take precedent over the underlying issue. To do so just goes to show that you don't really care about the issue and should probably just stfu.

Interesting, if you disagree with me shut the fuck up.  Seems like you’re being quite the hypocrite.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 'stache said:

February 1968, black sanitation workers in Memphis just refused to show up for work. That's how you do civil unrest for a just cause. The looting isn't doing anyone any favors.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ahhhh yes. The whole "hurrr durrrr stick to sports boy" crowd. Fuck the fuck off. These are real life events that affect many of the people this coach is trying to recruit. I know a lot of people who spew these comments live in their suburbia bubbles and they don't really care about this stuff or have friends/family who this affects more than them.

Stick to *insert their profession* is the biggest slap in the face for those people. They aren't robots who only function in that profession.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

February 1968, black sanitation workers in Memphis just refused to show up for work. That's how you do civil unrest for a just cause. The looting isn't doing anyone any favors.

Yep. Last 52 years have really turned out much better for blacks in the US. (being a little facetious here) but this may be straw that broke camels back as there is ZERO doubt that had there not been cameras on this scene that these fucking cops would have flat out lied their asses off and got away with murder.

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

That's exactly my reasoning.  The individual cop needs to be sanctioned severely, as do his managers. They don't give a fuck if the pension takes a hit.   IT'll still get funded, right?  I mean, that's how it already is and it doesn't work worth a fuck as a penalty for misconduct.

I think they are talking about the individual’s portion of their retirement, because a shitload of these cops that murder people seem to magically be able to retire almost on the spot, and walk away with their benefits, while we the taxpayers are left with the bill.

Either way, cops need to be held financially responsible for these murders, because nothing else seems to be working.  If you as a civilian deliberately run down somebody with your car, their family is going to go after every bit of whatever you’re worth.  That’s not even talking about you going to prison for life.  There is a deterrent to keep you from murdering someone   

While we want to shield the police from frivolous lawsuits arising during the course of their normal duties on our behalf (somebody gets popped for speeding or something, wants to sue the cop over it), there needs to be a financial mechanism when they act outside of good faith, instead of fucking over taxpayers.

We need to have that conversation, and have one about the power of their unions - if some American soldier in Afghanistan deliberately murders a civilian, there’s not a union there making sure he will keep his benefits, and somehow bridge him to retirement, or to a job in another branch of the military.  They’ve grown far too powerful, and they automatically rush to the defense of bad cops, and try and frame the narrative   

We are their employers, we pay their fucking salaries, and it’s about time we act like it. And it’s going to require changes at all levels.  We need to vote out those elected officials that enable this to happen as well.  And they are being enabled - by the elected leaders, by their unions, etc.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 'stache said:

This happens every single time. Happened in Ferguson. Baltimore. LA for Rodney King. They see the looting and say "See, those guys are animals. This is what the police have to deal with!!" And they completely forget about what exactly caused these incidents. Fucking pathetic but it will never change.

This was a peaceful protest until the cops came and sprayed tear gas into the crowd and then all hell broke loose and for good reason. The cops 100% entice the crowd and want this to happen. Why? Because they want to divert attention from what actually caused all this. The police don't want a peaceful protest. Because then the story is still about them murdering a man in the middle of the street in public. So what's a good way to focus attention elsewhere? Rile up the crowd and get them pissed. Why wasn't tear gas sprayed for all the dorks dressed up like Rambo and protesting the virus lockdowns?

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm sorry, are you implying that there is any other answer than the fact that the looting is unequivocally wrong and unacceptable? 

• Like 2

The cops do not give a shit about any of the businesses burning. They don't care if the city is burning. Nope. They care about protecting a murderer buddy in his own house. This tells you everything you need to know about the whole "few bad apples" argument people push. Why the fuck are these cops out there? He's not apart of the force anymore, right? He was fired for murder. They stick up and protect their own. Spare me these cops who make social media posts about it. All lip service. Those same losers would be doing this same shit if it was one of their own. Easy to give that lip service when its a cop in another state. They all cover up, protect and enable this behavior. Fuck them.

101293503_4627222820621993_6348593195479

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

This happens every single time. Happened in Ferguson. Baltimore. LA for Rodney King. They see the looting and say "See, those guys are animals. This is what the police have to deal with!!" And they completely forget about what exactly caused these incidents. Fucking pathetic but it will never change.

This was a peaceful protest until the cops came and sprayed tear gas into the crowd and then all hell broke loose and for good reason. The cops 100% entice the crowd and want this to happen. Why? Because they want to divert attention from what actually caused all this. The police don't want a peaceful protest. Because then the story is still about them murdering a man in the middle of the street in public. So what's a good way to focus attention elsewhere? Rile up the crowd and get them pissed. Why wasn't tear gas sprayed for all the dorks dressed up like Rambo and protesting the virus lockdowns?

Nah. What the police did was absolutely wrong. There needs to be change. 

Ruining innocent peoples lives through uncontrolled mayhem is also wrong, period. It's not one or the other. It's both. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Interesting, if you disagree with me shut the fuck up.  Seems like you’re being quite the hypocrite.

If you think the "looting" is worse than the murder, then yeah, we disagree, and my opinion is that people who think this should stfu.

• Like 6

I mean maybe you could just say that this is one bad apple, or bunch of apples. Maybe you could say the entire force isn't racist.

But then arresting the black CNN reporter (and lying about why you did it when it was clear from the LIVE video that's not what happened) and leaving the white guy alone...?

Now let's not be hasty to judge or anything here /Treebeard but I think Minneapolis PD might have a racism problem.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

I mean maybe you could just say that this is one bad apple, or bunch of apples. Maybe you could say the entire force isn't racist.

But then arresting the black CNN reporter (and lying about why you did it when it was clear from the LIVE video that's not what happened) and leaving the white guy alone...?

Now let's not be hasty to judge or anything here /Treebeard but I think Minneapolis PD might have a racism problem.

One bad apple ruins the whole fucking basket

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

Ruining innocent peoples lives through uncontrolled mayhem is also wrong, period. It's not one or the other. It's both. 

One would not happen without the other, though. Shrugs. How about we fix the first problem and the other would not happen? You expect people to act civilized when they are peacefully protesting and cops come by and spray the crowd with tear gas and shooting them with bean bags? Riiiight. 

Quit murdering citizens in the middle of the street and enticing peaceful protests and all out riots would not be an issue. It isn't as black and white as both are bad and wrong. It's cause and effect and that is the real issue. How about the focus on why these are happening in the first place. Centuries of oppression, angst and brutality will no doubt have them on edge in these instances.

This is what they want. Telling you both sides are wrong and equating both the same. One would not happen without the other happening first. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Courageous stance. Perhaps if there had been any change the last 5-6 times stuff like this was caught on video the rioting could have been avoided.

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Cops kill when they are scared. They are scared of some white people. They are scared of all brown and black people. 

Probably a lot of truth there.  96% of victims are male.  Especially males under 40.  They aren't going around shooting many females at all.

Blacks are about 26% of those shot by police.  Whites are 50%.  Hispanics about 18%.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/shootings-by-police-in-the-united-states-of-america-by-race-gender-and-age.html

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I'm sorry, are you implying that there is any other answer than the fact that the looting is unequivocally wrong and unacceptable? 

Yes. One can believe that stealing is wrong and that "looting" is not productive for the cause, while at the same time acknowledging the underlying rage and the mental state of people who are angry beyond rationality. Some people truly believe that "looting" is the only way to "rage against the system," and while I don't really agree, I am not going to judge their state of mind, which is irrational in the heat of pure rage. I also think that there is much more destroying going on than "looting," again as an expression of rage. In any event, the opportunists who are just stealing for the sake of stealing should not divert attention to the reason for the unrest. And most important of all, I think it should be clear that the "looting" is not worse than the murder that has set the stage for the current conditions that set the stage for the unrest. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Don't think anyone is contending that. At least, I hope not.

I don't think people are saying it verbatim, but when you see people on social media discussing looting but saying nothing about the murder (or some bullshit like "The murder was bad.....but [long rant about looting]), it's placing more importance on the looting than the murder.

Edited by 'stache