Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

3 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Just returned from the Austin protests. I must say the police were civil. They allowed people to scream Fuck the Police right in their faces on the steps of APD hq.

They also used to let people buy and sell crack just around the corner, if that's how you roll.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I hope we see rubber bullets fly tonight. Fuck these shit stains and whatever hole they crawled out of

And after they’re shot the ass, slap them with a 10,000 fine that’ll go towards clean up

I just want them to be perp-walked in front of the cameras, or at the very least, see their mugshots and names plastered all over.  Let's see how proud their employers and family and friends will be of that.

16 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Apparently at 4 pm today in Dallas, there will be large groups protesting at 75/Mockingbird, NorthPark, and HP Village. HP Village is less than a mile from my house. 

I assume the Park Cities Police are like the Memorial Villages PD and will swarm like bees on anything like that. That or write a bunch of tickets.

6 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I have a feeling that this afternoon was for us olds, and tonight its gonna get stupid.

There were still people blocking the highway when I drove away in my economy car.

As long as it isn’t a Prius I’ll forgive you.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I have a feeling that this afternoon was for us olds, and tonight its gonna get stupid.

There were still people blocking the highway when I drove away in my economy car.

I don't know why, but the superfluous detail about your vehicle being an "economy car" made me chuckle for a couple of minutes. Guess it wasn't all that superfluous.

I genuinely needed a laugh, so many thanks, MIA.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Just returned from the Austin protests. I must say the police were civil. They allowed people to scream Fuck the Police right in their faces on the steps of APD hq.

Then they blocked off the upper deck of 35 while we marched across.

Missing In Action, but shows up for upper deckers.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Hearing reports that protesters in Austin are getting pepper sprayed

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Wait. The same police department that tear gassed Marti Gras on 6th street in ‘01 is pepper spraying protesters when PD are being burned? 

unfortunate decision making by the millennial protesters. They need to join the gen-x’ers across the street tailgating in their friends office parking lot with food trucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

https://theconversation.com/riot-or-resistance-how-media-frames-unrest-in-minneapolis-will-shape-publics-view-of-protest-139713

Riot or resistance? How media frames unrest in Minneapolis will shape public’s view of protest

TLDR - 

The general public’s opinions about protests and the social movements behind them are formed in large part by what they read or see in the media. This gives journalists a lot of power when it comes to driving the narrative of a demonstration. They can emphasize the disruption protests cause or echo the dog whistles of politicians that label protesters as “thugs.” But they can also remind the public that at the heart of the protests is the unjust killing of another black person. This would take the emphasis away from the destruction of the protests and toward the issues of police impunity and the effects of racism in its many forms.

The role journalists play can be indispensable if movements are to gain legitimacy and make progress. And that puts a lot of pressure on journalists to get things right. 

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Riot or resistance? How media frames unrest in Minneapolis will shape public’s view of protest

Danielle K. Kilgo May 29, 2020 3.04pm EDT

A teenager held her phone steady enough to capture the final moments of George Perry Floyd’s life as he apparently suffocated under the weight of a Minneapolis police officer’s knee on his neck. The video went viral.

What happened next has played out time and again in American citiesafter high-profile cases of alleged police brutality.

Vigils and protests were organized in Minneapolis and around the United States to demand police accountability. But while investigators and officials called for patience, unrest boiled over. News reports soon carried images of property destruction and police in riot gear.

The general public’s opinions about protests and the social movements behind them are formed in large part by what they read or see in the media. This gives journalists a lot of power when it comes to driving the narrative of a demonstration.

They can emphasize the disruption protests cause or echo the dog whistles of politicians that label protesters as “thugs.” But they can also remind the public that at the heart of the protests is the unjust killing of another black person. This would take the emphasis away from the destruction of the protests and toward the issues of police impunity and the effects of racism in its many forms.

The role journalists play can be indispensable if movements are to gain legitimacy and make progress. And that puts a lot of pressure on journalists to get things right. 

My research has found that some protest movements have more trouble than others getting legitimacy. My co-author Summer Harlow and I have studied how local and metropolitan newspapers cover protests. We found that narratives about the Women’s March and anti-Trump protests gave voice to protesters and significantly explored their grievances. On the other end of the spectrum, protests about anti-black racism and indigenous people’s rights received the least legitimizing coverage, with them more often seen as threatening and violent.

Forming the narrative

Decades ago, scholars James Hertog and Douglas McLeod identified how news coverage of protests contributes to the maintenance of the status quo, a phenomenon referred to as “the protest paradigm.” They held that media narratives tend to emphasize the drama, inconvenience and disruption of protests rather than the demands, grievances and agendas of protesters. These narratives trivialize protests and ultimately dent public support. 

Here’s how this theoretically plays out today: 

Journalists pay little attention to protests that aren’t dramatic or unconventional. 

Knowing this, protesters find ways to capture media and public attention. They don pink “pussy” hats or kneel during the national anthem. They might even resort to violence and lawlessness. Now the protesters have the media’s attention, but what they cover is often superficial or delegitimizing, focusing on the tactics and disruption caused and excluding discussion on the substance of the social movement.

We wanted to explore if this classic theory fit coverage from 2017 – a year of large-scale protests accompanying the first year of Donald Trump’s presidency.

To do so, we analyzed the framing of protest reporting from newspapers in Texas. The state’s size and diversity made it a good proxy for the country at large.

In all, we identified 777 articles by searching for terms such as “protest,” “protester,” “Black Lives Matter” and “Women’s March.” This included reports written by journalists in 20 Texas newsrooms, such as the El Paso Times and the Houston Chronicle, as well as syndicated articles from sources like the Associated Press. 

We looked at how articles framed the protests in the headline, opening sentence and story structure, and classified the reporting using four recognized frames of protest:

Riot: Emphasizing disruptive behavior and the use or threat of violence.

Confrontation: Describing protests as combative, focusing on arrests or “clashes” with police.

Spectacle: Focusing on the apparel, signs or dramatic and emotional behavior of protesters.

Debate: Substantially mentioning protester’s demands, agendas, goals and grievances.

We also kept an eye out for sourcing patterns to identify imbalances that often give more credence to authorities than protesters and advocates.

Overall, news coverage tended to trivialize protests by focusing most often on dramatic action. But some protests suffered more than others. 

Reports focused on spectacle more often than substance. Much was made of what protesters were wearing, crowd sizes – large and small – celebrity involvement and flaring tempers. 

The substance of some marches got more play than others. Around half of the reports on anti-Trump protests, immigration rallies, women’s rights demonstrations and environmental actions included substantial information about protesters’ grievances and demands.

In contrast, Dakota Pipeline and anti-black racism-related protests got legitimizing coverage less than 25% of the time and were more likely to be described as disruptive and confrontational.

In coverage of a St. Louis protest over the acquittal of a police officer who killed a black man, violence, arrest, unrest and disruption were the leading descriptors, while concern about police brutality and racial injustice was reduced to just a few mentions. Buried more than 10 paragraphs down was the broader context: “The recent St. Louis protests follow a pattern seen since the August 2014 killing of Michael Brown in nearby Ferguson: the majority of demonstrators, though angry, are law-abiding.”

As a consequence of variances in coverage, Texas newspaper readers may form the perception that some protests are more legitimate than others. This contributes to what we call a “hierarchy of social struggle,” in which the voices of some advocacy groups are lifted over others.

Lurking bias

Journalists contribute to this hierarchy by adhering to industry norms that work against less-established protest movements. On tight deadlines, reporters may default to official sources for statements and data. This gives authorities more control of narrative framing. This practice especially becomes an issue for movements like Black Lives Matter that are countering the claims of police and other officials. 

Implicit bias also lurks in such reporting. Lack of diversity has long plagued newsrooms. 

In 2017, the proportion of white journalists at The Dallas Morning News and the Houston Chronicle was more than double the proportion of white people in each city. 

Protests identify legitimate grievances in society and often tackle issues that affect people who lack the power to address them through other means. That’s why it is imperative that journalists do not resort to shallow framing narratives that deny significant and consistent space to air the afflicted’s concerns while also comforting the very comfortable status quo. 

I will say that Cuomo did a very good job on CNN last night of pointing out what the cameras were showing, noting that it's a complex picture, and we must look at the complete picture.  The picture showed things that were not helpful, and things that were.  Objective truth and processing that was important, and he did an admirable job of trying to emphasize that throughout.  I was reasonably impressed.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Because people took to the streets and rioted over those cases. So good for them. There should have been riots over the Shaver case, too. But white people haven't been victimized for 400 years so instead we just post angry shit on the internet, I'm sorry to say. 

I am fine with a social trade in which unlawful police murders are met with days of property destruction. At some point, city leaders and those higher up will be forced to make the decision that the police and their unions need to be neutered. It's just too costly to continue to do nothing. 

Nothing else has ever worked. The state of our police forces in this country is beyond a crisis. It is a national cancer. We're at this point due to decades of cronyism and inaction, and so these drastic steps are needed. Let the cities burn. 

Preach it. The thing is – and if it’s been mentioned elsewhere here I apologize – I haven’t seen a single reference to one of the main reasons for the schism between police and the American public. The application of rationalization systems to law enforcement. Quotas, in other words. The same thing has happened, to an extent, in education. But that’s another topic for another day. Many years ago the appealing pitch was made: we can turn our police departments from cost into profit centers. At the same time we can gain a firmer understanding of the relative effectiveness of individual officers by quantifying their performances. That’s why dudes get arrested on street corners and in parks for selling cigarettes and other bullshit. It’s the reason minorities are targeted in Ferguson and many other areas of the country for driving with broken taillights, expired registrations and other bullshit.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don’t know who Matt Walsh is.  I found this on another message board.  I am not endorsing his commentary on Michael Brown one bit.  Just wanted to show some videos you might not have seen. 

Matt Walsh is a right-wing commentator popular among my evangelical friends. He trades in the kind of dismissive equivocation present in those tweets (note: I’m not saying that you are doing this; he is).

The right voice could use this footage to unite us behind what’s going on against police brutality (similar to what you’re voicing). That isn’t a what he’s doing though. He equivocates to perpetuate the status quo.

15 minutes ago, BNB said:

I live a couple of blocks south of the river.  Hearing a lot of sirens and helicopters in downtown Austin,  hopefully people are having civil protests here.

Man I go from watching a rocket successfully launched into space with humans on it just now to...damn. Tonite is gonna be bad. Just from the indicators we have already seen and read about. Not just Austin but other places. If y’all do go out stay safe. 

Found some awesome places to volunteer to help minority communities in my area. Ways I can help. Already volunteering but want to shift my focus. Have been thinking about what I can do to make a positive impact. 

Edited by Nicole44

7 minutes ago, Mole said:

Matt Walsh is a right-wing commentator popular among my evangelical friends. He trades in the kind of dismissive equivocation present in those tweets (note: I’m not saying that you are doing this; he is).

The right voice could use this footage to unite us behind what’s going on against police brutality (similar to what you’re voicing). That isn’t a what he’s doing though. He equivocates to perpetuate the status quo.

I figured he was probably a bomb thrower based on his comments.  I just had never seen either of the videos.  They were very disturbing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Kind of sounds like the NIOSA festival in San Antonio. Family friendly by day and then the freaks come out after dark.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

The general public’s opinions about protests and the social movements behind them are formed in large part by what they read or see in the media. This gives journalists a lot of power when it comes to driving the narrative of a demonstration. They can emphasize the disruption protests cause or echo the dog whistles of politicians that label protesters as “thugs.” But they can also remind the public that at the heart of the protests is the unjust killing of another black person. This would take the emphasis away from the destruction of the protests and toward the issues of police impunity and the effects of racism in its many forms.

The purpose of news reporting is reporting the news. Reporters should not be attempting to help further “the narrative” or “take the emphasis away from the destruction of the protests.” That is the job of editorial writers and talking heads. The reason it matters is that the press, like the police, needs to be regarded as a neutral arbiter. When people think cops, or reporters, are biased and take sides, they lose faith in cops, lose faith in reporters. And that can’t be good, though your perspective is shared by many. The New York Times embraced it openly, years ago. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/08/business/balance-fairness-and-a-proudly-provocative-presidential-candidate.html?_r=0
But I ask you to honestly consider: has this approach had the effect of strengthening Americans’ faith in the press or undermining it? Because studies suggest it’s the latter. Which is in fact counterproductive, whether your goal is combating police brutality against minorities or thwarting Trump.

Edited by Bruno Sardine

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

This is a horrible time in US history equal to the Watts and LA riots. Socially, I think we are at our weakest in 70 years. No matter who’s bullshit you spout, I feel we have all let America down since 9/11.  

Oh when we left black people alone and Starting demonizing and attacking anyone of middle eastern descent bc TERRORISTS? 

7 years later we turned a corner by electing the first non-white president in our history. And then half the country treated him like garbage, illegitimate and a threat to their white majority 

Greatest country on earth! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh when we left black people alone and Starting demonizing and attacking anyone of middle eastern descent bc TERRORISTS? 

7 years later we turned a corner by electing the first non-white president in our history. And then half the country treated him like garbage, illegitimate and a threat to their white majority 

Greatest country on earth! 

There are people who, strange as it may seem to you, did not like Obama because of his policies.

Plenty of people treated W like garbage, illegitimate and a threat to them also. 

There is going to be a third of the country that hates the president regardless due to the R or D by their name. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There are people who, strange as it may seem to you, did not like Obama because of his policies.

Plenty of people treated W like garbage, illegitimate and a threat to them also. 

There is going to be a third of the country that hates the president regardless due to the R or D by their name. 

Don't waste everyone's time trying to both sides this shit.

I don't know how many times I have to say this. We've had every color of the political rainbow in the white house over the past century, and this shit is one thing that has never, ever changed through any administration. 

What you have to do is sit and really think about why that is, and then go fix that. 

• Like 1

IMHO, this is now no longer just about George Floyd, and our local governments handling of local police for their accountability of their stray from Serving the people, to "Policing" the people.

This should be a wakeup call for all local governments.  Hopefully there has been enough destruction to make officials listen to the people.

Quit hiring mainly soldiers, and anyone off the street that has a desire for power, and start making them accountable for their individual actions, and their leaders.

Legal or internal cases against police officers need to go to the front of the line in the judicial system to get abusive  cops off the streets.

Police forces need larger Internal Affairs, or hire more people that don't have a problem "ratting" their fellow officers out.

Hopefully people will listen to their local leaders tonight and stay off the street at curfew and let law enforcement take care of the anarchists we have on the streets trying to destruct our society.

Edited by BNB
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Smax said:

The Alamo is trending on twitter, apparently the protester want to meet near there, some a voicing concern over the need to protect it. What a shitshow

That won’t end well...