Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

25 minutes ago, BNB said:
 I went to a "black" barber shop today in Austin and they were hardly talking about what was going on....  I don't know if that was b/c the white guy walked in.
I think most of the riots are from unemployment,unrest of being at home, Anita and other Anarchy factions..

24 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Here's a basic idea for some fixes to modern police in America 

-cut down on the amount of officers admitted to academies that couldn't make the cut in the military 

-get back to 2 officers per vehicle, requiring audio and bodycams for full shift (I don't care if we catch audio of you taking a dump). 2 officers per car limits singular interaction, and multiple officers should be able to cop each other, and slow down hyper reaction by cops on their own.  

-not going to get ultra political, but unions are absolutely incapable of enforcing discipline in their ranks. Unions today create massive tax problems in the public job sector. They have forced police departments to become revenue centers for the behest of maintaining union retirement benefits. Eliminate the unions, up the raw pay, fire people incapable of doing their jobs, and things would get fixed rather quickly. Either that, or make the union retirement plans recoverable in George Floyd cases.

Hey all, I don't want to be political in here, but the problem is Antifa and Unions!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Hey all, I don't want to be political in here, but the problem is Antifa and Unions!

Are police departments needing to be revenue centers a problem?  Well, a lot of that problem is directly related to police retirement benefits.  

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Are police departments needing to be revenue centers a problem?  Well, a lot of that problem is directly related to police retirement benefits.  

Let's just say I don't think revenue centers are numbers 1-5 on the top 5 issues impacting the protests across the country. Even if you were to draw indirect effects of how revenue management influences department behavior, the presence or absence of a union is not what is driving police behavior.

Just now, Serak The Preparer said:

Let's just say I don't think revenue centers are numbers 1-5 on the top 5 issues impacting the protests across the country. Even if you were to draw indirect effects of how revenue management influences department behavior, the presence or absence of a union is not what is driving police behavior.

Revenue centers are why cops are in cars solo.  Solo cops are a huge reason why cops are “hyper-vigilant” in interactions with citizens.  I think paring the system down is a way fix things.  Paring the system down will hurt revenues.  But the police department is not, nor should be, a revenue center.  It is a revenue center to pay cops shittty salaries with great benefits.  Make cops live and operate like the rest of America and I’d bet good money that a lot of that changes.  

31 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Here's a basic idea for some fixes to modern police in America 

-cut down on the amount of officers admitted to academies that couldn't make the cut in the military 

-get back to 2 officers per vehicle, requiring audio and bodycams for full shift (I don't care if we catch audio of you taking a dump). 2 officers per car limits singular interaction, and multiple officers should be able to cop each other, and slow down hyper reaction by cops on their own.  

-not going to get ultra political, but unions are absolutely incapable of enforcing discipline in their ranks. Unions today create massive tax problems in the public job sector. They have forced police departments to become revenue centers for the behest of maintaining union retirement benefits. Eliminate the unions, up the raw pay, fire people incapable of doing their jobs, and things would get fixed rather quickly. Either that, or make the union retirement plans recoverable in George Floyd cases.

Good start. I’d also say adopt airline style teams. Never have two officers with under 5 years experience together.

A police Officer is only permitted to carry a weapon after five years of proper service. 

60% of the force needs to live in the county they patrol.  Offer housing assistance for those who need it. 

Offer forgivable scholarships in return for service to the minority communities/ recruitment. 

Body cameras on at all times sans bathroom. Penalties for non-compliance are severe. Shoot someone in the shitter, forced resignation. 

Separate prosecution for police officers. Don’t have DA’s prosecute and then have to rely on the police for other criminal cases. 

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The blue line needs to be abolished. That will be the first step in the right direction. 
The whole protect a cop just because they are a cop no matter what happened is bullshit and that whole corrupt mentality needs to die. Until it does, nothing changes. 

In theory, the police claim to be serving their employers, the public.  Ya know, the taxpayers.  And plenty do a decent job.

But they also serve their bosses, and some of their bosses like the revenue coming in.   This causes a lot of problems, leads to a lot of arrests that maybe shouldn't have been arrests, or at least tickets that shouldn't be tickets.  And over time, this starts to turn the public against you, when the public doesn't see them as "oh, glad to see the officers are out and about", but "oh, wonder if he's going to fuck with me."

And the police unions serve their employers as well - their fellow officers.   And that's where we start to see a massive breakdown, and it amps the situation up to 11.  Those unions drill it into their heads that they've got their back no matter what, and they tie it into their training that those officers better protect each other no matter what, that it's "us against them" and not "those civilians are paying your salaries, and you exist to protect them."

And the unions have made their endorsement a very powerful force when it comes to cities and states. The Dallas police unions were constantly riding the ass of the former DPD chief who used to announce the firings of officers on twitter, with a mention of why they were being fired. 

Granted, I've never been in a union, but the idea that an officer can fuck up royally, and the union will not only defend him, but will attack the police and city/county leadership when said officer is in deep shit, boggles my mind.   We need to rein that in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Revenue centers are why cops are in cars solo.  Solo cops are a huge reason why cops are “hyper-vigilant” in interactions with citizens.  I think paring the system down is a way fix things.  Paring the system down will hurt revenues.  But the police department is not, nor should be, a revenue center.  It is a revenue center to pay cops shittty salaries with great benefits.  Make cops live and operate like the rest of America and I’d bet good money that a lot of that changes.  

This of course completely ignores the incident that sparked all of these protests involved 4 cops! The problem with police force is not individual bad actors. It is system violence and illegal behavior. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I’ve seen a lot of research that says pairing cops up together is more dangerous for citizens- if they have a buddy they are more likely to be militant- if they are by themselves they are more likely to deescalate tensions. 

4 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

The militarization of police is a problem. Domestic disputes do not require a militarized response. But that is what we do - these days.

Reformation is necessary. Responding to concerns before they reach crisis level is necessary. And ending Blood Choke holds as approved police tactics is necessary.

The balance of power between law enforcement and the people they serve is overwhelmingly one-sided. With such great power comes even greater responsibility. Most LEO's do their job extremely well. It is a shame when the good ones get lumped in with the thumpers - but the good ones have a duty to throttle the damage done by thumpers.

They have forgotten that we, the taxpayers, pay their salaries, and they have also forgotten that we, the taxpayers, pay out millions when they fuck up and murder somebody. 

And we, the taxpayers, have forgotten that we pay their salaries and pay for their fuckups, and that if we chose to, we could work on fixing the problem with who we choose to run things.  Maybe not fitlump, she likes the boys in blue.

• Like 1