Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

Just now, Eskimohorn said:

Does anyone have a link that doesn't require a damned subscription?

(Trivial things that....)

Also at the link (which has plenty more questions where many can find something that supports their view):

’Violent protest is never justified in the U.S. as a way for a group to accomplish its goals.’

51% strongly agree, 18% somewhat agree

12% strongly disagree, 13% somewhat disagree

5% not sure

29 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

I would have posted a news story instead of a tweet, but oh so oddly, no "Mainstream Media" outlet has a story on "Matthias Baldwin."  At least according to the Googles.

In response to the first line of the tweet, VERY.  But then the voice of reason is mattering less and less each day.

8 minutes ago, landman said:

In response to the first line of the tweet, VERY.  But then the voice of reason is mattering less and less each day.

How stupid are SOME protesters?  No doubt, the answer is "very."  But, cool, cool way to dismiss the entire protest movement, and tell them ("protesters") they should spend less time protesting. 

Which of course, is a warm blanket of security for the author and you. Now, you don't have to waste any time or energy wondering whether there's anything to the movement, or the points they've made.  No, they're just a bunch of idiots, anything bad that's happened is their fault (because all of them should have spent more time in school, I guess) and the way things have been is clearly the bestest and America-est way to be.  Mmmmm, nothing is as comforting as the soft, snuggly, protective blanket of institutionalized racism and oppressive policing that falls most heavily on other people.

zlMVS0y.gif?noredirect

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

How stupid are SOME protesters?  No doubt, the answer is "very."  But, cool, cool way to dismiss the entire protest movement, and tell them ("protesters") they should spend less time protesting. 

Clearly falling short of the intellectual standards of counter-protesters exhibited by these fine gentlemen

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

I guess their supposition is that compliance would have been the best course with regard to the police and Mr. Floyd.  This driveway theater group is what I envision Rex Kramer's HOA playhouse group to be.  

17 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

They are going after the Eyes of Texas as racist.  Bullet point 6

Discontinue any use of “The Eyes of Texas” at all UT related events, and compose a new official school spirit song with the inclusion of BIPOC composers and musicians.

So all wealth was built on stolen land.  So no one is safe?  Zero statues or names?

Or we just cant have older people statues?

13 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

Discontinue any use of “The Eyes of Texas” at all UT related events, and compose a new official school spirit song with the inclusion of BIPOC composers and musicians.

Yeah....that one's a bit of a reach.  They don't even complain about it being a racist song (as it isn't), just that it debuted at a show where the performers did some racist shit.  That doesn't really get there -- removing something because it happened to arise at a time and place when people were more openly racist isn't a good standard.

The others, particularly the academic changes, may not be right on target, but their not entirely off-target, either.  We do a pretty damned good job of whitewashing history.

The Belo center is interesting -- it's not something I was aware of.  I thought it was just named after the Belo corp, so at first I thought they had missed the mark, but nope, turns out that indeed the gift expressly named it after Col. Belo.  BUT, it was in connection with his role as the original owner of the DMN.....so it's a bit grey.  I think I'm comfortable with a dividing line that doesn't name campus buildings after confederates BECAUSE they were confederates, and doesn't name buildings after people whose legacy is truly shitty (Painter fought fucking hard against letting a black man into the law school), but on the other side, doesn't remove names simply because someone was associated with the CSA, owned slaves, etc.  In any case, it's a conversation worth having, and once that we've needed to have for a long time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, huge said:

So all wealth was built on stolen land. 

Well, I mean, in the Americas, much of it was.  I think this movement acknowledges that the ship has sailed, but context matters.  My daughter goes to college in Canada, and her university regularly acknowledges that the land it is on is the ancestral land of certain tribes (including some that still exist), and has worked with those tribes in preserving certain features etc.  I don't have a problem with it.  Actually, I've found it to be petty cool.

Land Acknowledgement

Land Acknowledgements are becoming an increasingly common practice when hosting events and activities across Canada. This acknowledgement can be made before a class presentation, conference, or event, but can also be made in a written document or on a website. Here is an example acknowledgement:

"McGill University is situated on the traditional territory of the Kanien’kehà:ka, a place which has long served as a site of meeting and exchange amongst nations. We recognize and respect the Kanien’kehà:ka as the traditional custodians of the lands and waters on which we meet today."

10 minutes ago, huge said:

And what if one indigenous tribe went to war with another, won, and took their land?  How do we denote that?

(obviously I'm just being an ass, but where does it stop?)

It's not an unfair question.  Really, it's not.  It's all complicated.  But we don't get into that if we don't have a conversation, and we've refused to have it, steadfastly, for centuries.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Which of course, is a warm blanket of security for the author and you. Now, you don't have to waste any time or energy wondering whether there's anything to the movement, or the points they've made.  No, they're just a bunch of idiots, anything bad that's happened is their fault (because all of them should have spent more time in school, I guess) and the way things have been is clearly the bestest and America-est way to be.  Mmmmm, nothing is as comforting as the soft, snuggly, protective blanket of institutionalized racism and oppressive policing that falls most heavily on other people.

zlMVS0y.gif?noredirect

I'm at the ready to put my "Brisket for Mayor!" sign out front

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

It's not an unfair question.  Really, it's not.  It's all complicated.  But we don't get into that if we don't have a conversation, and we've refused to have it, steadfastly, for centuries.

Because the conversation stops whever the group that gets disenfranchised stops being the victim in history and becomes the agressor in their previous history.

There’s a lot of history of people groups doing bad things to other people for land and riches.  I’m not justifying it but we have a myopic view of our history. We could infinitely regress who is the perpetrator  (in known history at least). I bet if there were any Cro-Magnon or Neanderthal people left they would be pissed at all the humans.

• Like 1

Because the conversation stops whever the group that gets disenfranchised stops being the victim in history and becomes the agressor in their previous history.
There’s a lot of history of people groups doing bad things to other people for land and riches.  I’m not justifying it but we have a myopic view of our history. We could infinitely regress who is the perpetrator  (in known history at least). I bet if there were any Cro-Magnon or Neanderthal people left they would be pissed at all the humans.

Nice Armybrat call out.
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

zlMVS0y.gif?noredirect

How fucking dare you insinuate that I'm in favor of racism.  I made a comment in reference to a tweet about a group of protestors in Philadelphia that defaced a statue that had they know the history of the person it would have been left alone. 

I'm married to a minority (Lebanese), I have family members that are minorities (Hispanic, Lebanese, Mexican), and my son's girlfriend is a minority (Mexican).  I've seen what they are up against on far too many occasions. 

This is correct. Maybe the only thing good to come from it would be for all people of all colors to realize that for most of human history people have sucked.
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hate said:

This is correct. Maybe the only thing good to come from it would be for all people of all colors to realize that for the entirety of human history people have sucked.

FIFaccuracy.

You know my thesis around here about America, the wave of Trumpism, anti-intellectualism, open racism, etc.  It's not an aberration.  It's a regression to our mean.  And it's not just that we've sucked and been shitty in so many damned ways....it's that we steadfastly refuse to admit the problem and confront it.  Instead, anything less than blind patriotism and repeated self-soothing declarations that we are the GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD is treasonous.  To be stupid and mean is one thing; to be so fucking dedicated and insistent on being stupid and mean is another thing altogether.

0fb.jpg

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, landman said:

How fucking dare you insinuate that I'm in favor of racism.  I made a comment in reference to a tweet about a group of protestors in Philadelphia that defaced a statue that had they know the history of the person it would have been left alone. 

I'm married to a minority (Lebanese), I have family members that are minorities (Hispanic, Lebanese, Mexican), and my son's girlfriend is a minority (Mexican).  I've seen what they are up against on far too many occasions. 

Lebanese chicks are so fucking hot.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, John Lawrence said:

spacer.png

Edited by stone oak
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Raise your hand if you've been watching these scenes unfold across America and you would describe them as 'beautiful'?

Well, I've been watching a spontaneous uprising of We the People, raising their voices to the government, seeking redress of their grievances.  I've seen millions of people, young and old, of multiple races, working towards a common goal.  I think THAT is beautiful.

Trump thinks that lobbing grenades at them and busting their heads is beautiful.  We have, umm, different perspectives.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, I've been watching a spontaneous uprising of We the People, raising their voices to the government, seeking redress of their grievances.  I've seen millions of people, young and old, of multiple races, working towards a common goal.  I think THAT is beautiful.

Agreed. 

Opportunistic looters and vandals who don't give a shit about social justice?  Yeah, not so beautiful. 

But I don't let that take away from the greater good of American citizens banding together to express their anger, frustration, sadness, and demand for social and political change.   

• Like 2