Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I guess I need to rewatch the video, because I’m not seeing this part. That part seems like he said/she said.

I watched it a couple of times, but it is right as he gets near the red car that it happens.  The cynic in me says that that video would not have been released so quickly if that piece wasn't in it.

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

So the argument from police is...

He could of tazed me, took my gun, and killed me so I had to kill him?

Didn't say the police did the right thing.  They absolutely had no business using deadly force, and IMO, that comes down to training.  Just that in this instance, it isn't as clear cut.

50 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Atlanta protesters have shut down both sides of I-75/85.  14 lanes of traffic 

Was driving South early afternoon and they had just started congregating in the Northbound lanes on the side of the interstate. The off ramps were already blocked. 

Also, what’s the point of burning the Wendy’s down? 

Edited by Brew

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, it sure seems like the last round of protests didn’t make enough of an impression. Atlanta cops shooting black dudes in the back and whatnot. I mean...for fuck’s sake.

so officers get called.  the guy is asleep. they get him out of the car, I assume he is drunk or high and the officers can confirm that.  If he just lets them handcuff him he goes to jail for the night and the car gets towed.  the guy grabs the officers taser, maybe after a fight or not, and runs away.  then turns while being chased and points the taser at the cop. the training is, what happens if that guy a) either tazes the officer or b) grabs someone or tazes someone else. this is going to happen if you are white, black, mexican, asian.

I do agree with Biden though.  they should be taught to shoot for the legs, probably the thigh area. or maybe they should have 2 tasers so they can taser battle the suspect if necessary.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brew said:

Was driving South early afternoon and they had just started congregating in the Northbound lanes on the side of the interstate. The off ramps were already blocked. 

there's a point?

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I do agree with Biden though.  they should be taught to shoot for the legs, probably the thigh area.

This is ridiculous, in my opinion. If the cop is shooting someone it should to stop that person. Teaching them to aim for a smaller, shifter target reduces the odds of stopping that person, thus increasing the odds of the undesirable behavior.

Some shootings will be justified. Many are not. The training should be focused elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Brew said:

If you were at the point of hopelessness and feeling like you're not a part of the society you live in or being heard, what would you do?

Seriously asking because what you're seeing (for the most part) is their answer to this very question. 

• Like 1

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

This is ridiculous, in my opinion. If the cop is shooting someone it should to stop that person. Teaching them to aim for a smaller, shifter target reduces the odds of stopping that person, thus increasing the odds of the undesirable behavior.

Some shootings will be justified. Many are not. The training should be focused elsewhere.

nope Joe is right.  need to start shooting to wound.  just to need to train them right.  butt is another option as it doesn't move like the upper thigh when someone is moving.  similar to when your Jr High basketball coach told you to look at the opponents belly button when playing man to man.

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

If you were at the point of hopelessness and feeling like you're not a part of the society you live in or being heard, what would you do?

Seriously asking because what you're seeing (for the most part) is their answer to this very question. 

probably drink a lot but I wouldn't burn something down.  settin shit on fire is more fun though.

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

so officers get called.  the guy is asleep. they get him out of the car, I assume he is drunk or high and the officers can confirm that.  If he just lets them handcuff him he goes to jail for the night and the car gets towed.  the guy grabs the officers taser, maybe after a fight or not, and runs away.  then turns while being chased and points the taser at the cop. the training is, what happens if that guy a) either tazes the officer or b) grabs someone or tazes someone else. this is going to happen if you are white, black, mexican, asian.

I do agree with Biden though.  they should be taught to shoot for the legs, probably the thigh area. or maybe they should have 2 tasers so they can taser battle the suspect if necessary.

If this, if that. We as a society need to stop making excuses for cops who feel the need to use deadly force where it's not warranted. Anything else is tap dancing around the bigger picture here. 

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

nope in my opinion Joe is right.  need to start shooting to wound.  just to need to train them right.  butt is another option as it doesn't move like the upper thigh when someone is moving.  similar to when your Jr High basketball coach told you to look at the opponents belly button when playing man to man.

It’s still a much smaller target than the chest and my point remains.

Edited by Casual Encounter

Just now, BigHorn'13 said:

If this, if that. We as a society need to stop making excuses for cops who feel the need to use deadly force where it's not warranted. Anything else is tap dancing around the bigger picture here. 

thats the training.  the guy turned towards the cop with the taser as the officer was chasing him, probably 10-15 feet from him.  you should bitch about the training, not the decision the office made.

3 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

It’s still a much smaller target than the chest and my point remains.

good point.  maybe we just have cops with no guns and if a gun is needed you call in a second team later. oh and if someone resists arrest you just let them go if they are unarmed.  maybe we can hit the person with an implantable gps tracker right away.  that way if he runs we can just track by cops phone app.

probably drink a lot but I wouldn't burn something down.  settin shit on fire is more fun though.

I sat back smoking enormous amounts of weed thinking everyone needed to chill out and be like me. Then I saw countless instances of continued police brutality in response to police brutality. Now, I protest with them. 

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

thats the training.  the guy turned towards the cop with the taser as the officer was chasing him, probably 10-15 feet from him.  you should bitch about the training, not the decision the office made.

No, I'll still bitch about his decision making. From pulling him out of his car to collecting the casings immediately after shooting, before rendering aid. 

He got his ass whipped, his taser jacked, and he wasn't going to let the guy get away like that. 

good point.  maybe we just have cops with no guns and if a gun is needed you call in a second team later. oh and if someone resists arrest you just let them go if they are unarmed.  maybe we can hit the person with an implantable gps tracker right away.  that way if he runs we can just track by cops phone app.

If a gun is needed it’s likely because one is pointed at you and it’s a little late to call for backup. The real question is, are the guns needed when they’re currently being pulled?

9 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

correct, if the guy is on the ground and handcuffed putting your knee on his neck for any time should be dismissal and probably assault charges.  if he dies you go down for murder

if a guy steals a taser from the cop and then points it at him while the cop is chasing what should the cop do?

I’m not going to make an excuse, but I will say this is substantially different than the Floyd incident. You have someone that resisted arrest, fought with the cop, took his taser, ran, and then turned and pointed it at the cop. Did the cops know he was unarmed at that point and that it was the taser being pointed? Skin color had zero to do with this end result based on the story that is out there right now. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I sat back smoking enormous amounts of weed thinking everyone needed to chill out and be like me. Then I saw countless instances of continued police brutality in response to police brutality. Now, I protest with them. 

No, I'll still bitch about his decision making. From pulling him out of his car to collecting the casings immediately after shooting, before rendering aid. 

He got his ass whipped, his taser jacked, and he wasn't going to let the guy get away like that. 

good for you.  does protesting include burning shit?

Edited by dcar00

Just now, Brew said:

I’m not going to make an excuse, but I will say this is substantially different than the Floyd incident. You have someone that resisted arrest, fought with the cop, took his taser, ran, and then turned and pointed it at the cop. Did the cops know he was unarmed at that point and that it was the taser being pointed? Skin color had zero to do with this end result based on the story that is out there right now. 

ya think?  but no we must burn shit down.  they knew it was a taser.  question, does that make a difference?

they would have pulled you, me, Rick Perry, Abraham Lincoln, Albert Einstein, and Ghandi out of the car.  you might need to find that weed again.

ya think?  but no we must burn shit down.  they knew it was a taser.  question, does that make a difference?

It makes a difference in that they returned deadly force without the fear of being killed if they knew it was a taser and assuming there were two cops on scene. If it was just one, then I’m not sure it makes a difference. With two cops and a suspect with a taser, there are other options.

correct, if the guy is on the ground and handcuffed putting your knee on his neck for any time should be dismissal and probably assault charges.  if he dies you go down for murder

if a guy steals a taser from the cop and then points it at him while the cop is chasing what should the cop do?

With the same taser that just proved ineffective against a guy not wearing 10-15 lbs of gear? Off the top of my head? Call for backup and give a description of the person running away. Maybe continue chasing him and see if your "training" you refer to can hold up to the real world application. 

But no. The cop wanted to end it right then and there. 

Just now, Brew said:

It is different. But it's not. And your justifications are useless when taking into account the man was obviously intoxicated and very briefly pointed a bright yellow taser (where he just happened to grab it from the person chasing him so don't talk about not know if he's "armed" or not, weak sauce.) a good distance separating the 2.

1 minute ago, Brew said:

It makes a difference in that they returned deadly force without the fear of being killed if they knew it was a taser and assuming there were two cops on scene. If it was just one, then I’m not sure it makes a difference. With two cops and a suspect with a taser, there are other options.

they are chasing the guy.  he turns with the taser during the chase and the cop is close enough, it appears, that he could get hit.  is your point that the cop should take the shot from the taser since it's just a taser? or should they just not chase the guy? or maybe not too closely?

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

good for you.  does protesting include burning shit?

Not at this time but I'll check back in with you. 

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they would have pulled you, me, Rick Perry, Abraham Lincoln, Albert Einstein, and Ghandi out of the car.  you might need to find that weed again.

Aaaaand that's why you're starting to see more and more people speak out. Unfortunately, until it hits close to home for any of us, it's not real.

Hopefully you don't find yourself in a similar situation because it's not just happening to protestors and I'll always have plenty of weed to smoke for anyone who isn't a racist. 

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Not at this time but I'll check back in with you. 

Aaaaand that's why you're starting to see more and more people speak out. Unfortunately, until it hits close to home for any of us, it's not real.

Hopefully you don't find yourself in a similar situation because it's not just happening to protestors and I'll always have plenty of weed to smoke for anyone who isn't a racist. 

sleeping in a drive thru and then fighting with a cop and taking his taser?  hmmm, I guess it could happen.  usually I'm hungry enough that I don't fall asleep.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they are chasing the guy.  he turns with the taser during the chase and the cop is close enough, it appears, that he could get hit.  is your point that the cop should take the shot from the taser since it's just a taser? or should they just not chase the guy? or maybe not too closely?

My point is that if there are two cops, the suspect is not going to be able to take out both cops with a taser. However, I’m sure they are trained that if something is getting pointed at you to use deadly force. Does a taser count as that something or is it more specific to a gun than that? Either way, the story itself doesn’t sound like deadly force is anywhere near justified. It sounds like they knew he was impaired, had a taser, did not have a gun, so which box was checked to shoot him?

However, my original point is that I don’t see that skin color played into the scenario.

sleeping in a drive thru and then fighting with a cop and taking his taser?  hmmm, I guess it could happen.  usually I'm hungry enough that I don't fall asleep.

With this site's propensity to promote binge/ massive alcohol consumption, you never know. But shit like this is what I'm taking about

Policing is and has been a major problem for a very long time. We have to stop excusing this behavior as "well, if he would've/ didn't..." 

The last page of discussion on the Atlanta guy is insane. Why was this guy a “suspect”? Why did they have to call the police? Why couldn’t the police just wake the guy up and talk to him? Offer him coffee and move his car out of the way so that fatasses could get their shitty fast food? A drunk guy asleep in his car ends up dead and y’all are arguing where the police should be shooting? Only in America.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XYZ said:

The last page of discussion on the Atlanta guy is insane. Why was this guy a “suspect”? Why did they have to call the police? Why couldn’t the police just wake the guy up and talk to him? Offer him coffee and move his car out of the way so that fatasses could get their shitty fast food? A drunk guy asleep in his car ends up dead and y’all are arguing where the police should be shooting? Only in America.

Come to think of it, my own fucking dumbass sister got busted in the same exact situation as this, just whataburger instead of wendy's. The difference? Of course she's still alive (and white) but EMS was called and she went to the hospital first before jail. What a world...

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

aaaargh, gaggle, aaargh! is everyone insane?   maybe they felt the need to take him to the drunk tank and he decided he didn't want to go and grabbed an officers weapon. that exact situation of taking drunk or high people to the police station happens 1000 times a day, the other part doesn't happen that often.  pos rep on the Don King reference though

1 minute ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Come to think of it, my own fucking dumbass sister got busted in the same exact situation as this, just whataburger instead of wendy's. The difference? Of course she's still alive (and white) but EMS was called and she went to the hospital first before jail. What a world...

did she attempt to resist or fight with the cop?

Just now, BigHorn'13 said:

Did she resist arrest, grab the taser from the cop, and then try to shoot him with it? I can say the end result was not justified while still saying the “suspect” escalated the situation. They aren’t mutually exclusive opinions.

10 minutes ago, XYZ said:

The NHTSA reports that almost 29 people die daily in America due to drunk driving. That amounted to one person dead every 50 minutes in 2016. While drunk driving deaths have fallen by ⅓ in the last 30 years, drunk driving crashes still claim at least 10,000 lives per year. The most recent statistics from 2010 state that the deaths and damages from drunk driving led to a loss of $44 billion that year.

good call. I’m sure he just had a long day. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

With this site's propensity to promote binge/ massive alcohol consumption, you never know. But shit like this is what I'm taking about

Policing is and has been a major problem for a very long time. We have to stop excusing this behavior as "well, if he would've/ didn't..." 

When I read that the police opened fire on them, this was not what I was expecting.