Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

I’m all for police reform. However, I’m white as hell and if I’m passed out drunk in a drive through, I fully expect to get a not so pleasant visit from law enforcement. If I resist, I fully expect a fight. If I kick the cop’s ass, take his taser, and point it at him as I’m trying to escape, I fully expect to get shot.  In the event of my death family would cry out, “why was he so fucking stupid?”

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

did she attempt to resist or fight with the cop?

5 minutes ago, Brew said:

Did she resist arrest, grab the taser from the cop, and then try to shoot him with it? I can say the end result was not justified while still saying the “suspect” escalated the situation. They aren’t mutually exclusive opinions.

No because when the call is passed out person in a vehicle, the response should be medical. But I just saw a blip on TV where his lawyer is saying the whole "passed out drunk" narrative is false so I'm not going to entertain this anymore. 

1 minute ago, Brew said:

When I read that the police opened fire on them, this was not what I was expecting. 

Lol oooh everything is fine then. 

Come to think of it, my own fucking dumbass sister got busted in the same exact situation as this, just whataburger instead of wendy's. The difference? Of course she's still alive (and white) but EMS was called and she went to the hospital first before jail. What a world...

Passing out in a whataburger drive thru deserves jail time
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m all for police reform. However, I’m white as hell and if I’m passed out drunk in a drive through, I fully expect to get a not so pleasant visit from law enforcement. If I resist, I fully expect a fight. If I kick the cop’s ass, take his taser, and point it at him as I’m trying to escape, I fully expect to get shot.  In the event of my death family would cry out, “why was he so fucking stupid?”

You think your family would still sue the city for wrongful death? Just asking because we're kinda hypocritical as white folks...

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Passing out in a whataburger drive thru deserves jail time

No argument from me. Hence dumbass fucking sister. 

• Like 1

CBS played the second body cam video but cut off during the fight (first camera fell off during the fight).   Shooting itself wasn’t shown. I assume APD left it out? 

guy was drunk as a skunk, but likable.  From the cams it looks like the cops were shocked when he resisted.   IMO. The cops seemed to handle it well at first.  But obviously things went downhill quickly.   Hopefully the rest of the video is released quickly. 

15 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Agree.  Perhaps they should have a tool that shames the offender.  Like waving your finger?

My mom always told me a please and thank you works wonders.  maybe they should do that.  but do agree that one less Wendy's isn't a tragedy.

33 minutes ago, Xian said:

CBS played the second body cam video but cut off during the fight (first camera fell off during the fight).   Shooting itself wasn’t shown. I assume APD left it out? 

guy was drunk as a skunk, but likable.  From the cams it looks like the cops were shocked when he resisted.   IMO. The cops seemed to handle it well at first.  But obviously things went downhill quickly.   Hopefully the rest of the video is released quickly. 

but wait, I was just told that the lawyer said that the "passed out drunk narrative was false" and we shouldn't be entertaing this discussion anymore because you know lawyers much like cops and politicians NEVER lie.  If a lawyers lips are moving he or she is lying.

• Like 2

My point is that if there are two cops, the suspect is not going to be able to take out both cops with a taser. However, I’m sure they are trained that if something is getting pointed at you to use deadly force. Does a taser count as that something or is it more specific to a gun than that? Either way, the story itself doesn’t sound like deadly force is anywhere near justified. It sounds like they knew he was impaired, had a taser, did not have a gun, so which box was checked to shoot him?
However, my original point is that I don’t see that skin color played into the scenario.

That’s my question as well. One, did the guy who shot know it was a taser (correct me if I’m wrong but it was his partners taser right?)?

Two, what does official Police policy say about using deadly force when confronted with a taser? I have no idea.

It’s unfortunate regardless.

6 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

No because when the call is passed out person in a vehicle, the response should be medical. But I just saw a blip on TV where his lawyer is saying the whole "passed out drunk" narrative is false so I'm not going to entertain this anymore. 

Lol oooh everything is fine then. 

I don’t know why the cops were called or what interaction took place before that, but on a Friday night I would assume cops are going out to visit anyone passed out.

On the second point, that’s not what I said. It’s clearly an abuse of power. However, when he uses the term open fire I was expecting something different just like I said.

5 hours ago, dcar00 said:

but wait, I was just told that the lawyer said that the "passed out drunk narrative was false" and we shouldn't be entertaing this discussion anymore because you know lawyers much like cops and politicians NEVER lie.  If a lawyers lips are moving he or she is lying.

What if the lawyer is typing?

Being tazed in that situation could pretty easily lead to death or serious bodily injury.  I have seen people tazed have their arms drop to their sides and drop like a rock.  On pavement that is extremely dangerous.  Or the suspect could grab the gun which will be dropped when he is tazed and use it.

The guy is dead because he made a series of very bad choices.

I am also betting there is more than alcohol on his tox screen.

Edited by John Lawrence
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Lhorn said:

That’s my question as well. One, did the guy who shot know it was a taser (correct me if I’m wrong but it was his partners taser right?)?

Two, what does official Police policy say about using deadly force when confronted with a taser? I have no idea.

Tasers are bright yellow.  Not misidentifiable or misidentified, in this circumstance. 

8 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

FFS, this. The suspect happened to be black. The suspect also clearly resisted an arrest that was justified. The cops used an inappropriate amount of force by shooting him because he was fleeing and stole his taser. His skin color had fuck all to do with it. If you don’t want to get harassed by cops, don’t drink and drive and then pass out at a Wendy’s drive thru. Certainly don’t fight the officers trying to rightfully arrest you. The narrative seems to be that random black guys are getting capped. That’s not true.

Wendy’s may have been served at minstrel shows, so setting it on fire was probably the right call, just to be safe.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 4

According to GBI, the body cam got knocked off in the fight. The shooting itself is the Wendy's surveillance camera.

59 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Dude... statements like this kind of diminished credibility.

For hearing an opposing viewpoint and deciding not to engage in further debate of facts because said facts, may possibly, not be facts? Yeah, my credibility diminishes with such a thought...

6 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Please correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t officers in Atlanta fired and charged with “use of deadly force” for using a taser on the protestors just this past week?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Please correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t officers in Atlanta fired and charged with “use of deadly force” for using a taser on the protestors just this past week?

If you're referring to the 2 college students looking for something to eat and getting car jacked live on CNN, I'd think it would be because of the amount of cops, pulling them in different directions and giving conflicting orders, I'd say the circumstances is deadly force and not the taser. 

• Like 1

This was a series of terrible decisions on everyone’s part. The decision to drive drunk, the decision to resist and take the taser. Also, the decision to chase after him and shoot him appear piss poor to me.

When he takes the taser and runs, what was the purpose of the chase? They have his license information and could have towed his car, filed their reports and had him arrested later when he was sober.

if the decision to shoot him is inline with police training, the training needs to be changed. The threat of him driving drunk was already dealt with. They are making life and death decisions when they unholster their weapon and based on this video, I don’t think this officer should be trusted making those decisions.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, John Lawrence said:

Had they had a chance to pat him down and know whether he had other arms?  I am not sure.  I have just seen the Wendy's video where he turns and points something at them.

I was drunk as a skunk when I watched the tape last night, but from what I remember they had already done a full pat down 

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Victims aren’t billed by the hour. No money in victim advocacy. 

I don’t know what police are trained to do.  

I do know what the legal standard is for any citizen to use deadly force is.  Reasonable fear of serious bodily injury or death. I 100 percent believe this shooting met that standard.  

Again, if someone walks up to you on the street and points a taser at you in a threatening manor, the law will justify your shooting them dead right there.  Had he not pointed the taser at them (even more it appears he shot it at them), they don’t get there on reasonable fear of SBI.  

Shooting a taser at someone is an attempted aggravated assault in every jurisdiction in this country.  You can use lethal force to stop an aggravated assault.  

From a criminal law standpoint it’s clear to me this was legal.  

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

For hearing an opposing viewpoint and deciding not to engage in further debate of facts because said facts, may possibly, not be facts? Yeah, my credibility diminishes with such a thought...

If your discussion on the matter was consistent, in regards to both sides of the story, I might believe you.

2 hours ago, John Lawrence said:

Being tazed in that situation could pretty easily lead to death or serious bodily injury.  I have seen people tazed have their arms drop to their sides and drop like a rock.  On pavement that is extremely dangerous.  Or the suspect could grab the gun which will be dropped when he is tazed and use it.

The guy is dead because he made a series of very bad choices.

I am also betting there is more than alcohol on his tox screen.

Any other developed country in the world and no one dies in that situation. We are a culture of violence.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

If your discussion on the matter was consistent, in regards to both sides of the story, I might believe you.

Not sure I follow. Are you suggesting because I didn't want to comment further on a particular that could possibly be in question, but still having an opinion on the overall event, is, inconsistent?

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You and John are alive

I’ve actually fled police custody blacked out. Thought I got away until I woke up the next morning with cops at my door. I guess I had given them my ID prior to my great escape.

they didn’t shoot me in the back while I was running away, so fortunately my bad decision didn’t cost me my life.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’ve actually fled police custody blacked out. Thought I got away until I woke up the next morning with cops at my door. I guess I had given them my ID prior to my great escape.

they didn’t shoot me in the back while I was running away, so fortunately my bad decision didn’t cost me my life.

Yeah but you didn't kick his and his partner's asses and take one of their non lethal weapons resulting in hurt feelings. Shoot, you were probably just a good ol boy that just got uncharacteristically scared .

That, apparently, makes all the difference.

ETA aaaaand like fucking clockwork. 

Edited by BigHorn'13

1 minute ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Yeah but you didn't kick his and his partner's asses and take one of their non lethal weapons resulting in hurt feelings.

I think this can be a huge factor in things like this, and long chases.  The cops get somewhat understandably pissed and take it out on the guy.  While that is somewhat understandable, it's also something they should be trained not to do and if they do it, they should be relieved of responsibility.