Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Not LEO, but I do think most have 'non-lethal" options in the car, like bean-bags in the shotgun, etc.  Not 100% sure on this.  They all do have tasers for this express purpose, but they are limited in their range and efficacy.  

As for the last paragraph, I think this is the crux of the argument for so many against defunding.  They need more training.  More hours spent learning how to de-escalate and inoculation to stress.  More access to resources, which is why so many are tasked with wearing so many different hats.  They don't have the resources needed to address the myriad of scenarios the face daily.  Hell, mandatory BJJ training would be a hell of a good start.  

Lulz. Or maybe they need a more limited scope that doesn’t require them to wear so many hats because no amount of training will allow them to do a good job at all the things they’re asked to do. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. Or maybe they need a more limited scope that doesn’t require them to wear so many hats because no amount of training will allow them to do a good job at all the things they’re asked to do. 

So, do they need more resources or less?  Greater responsibility or less?  If less, who takes on that burden that is also qualified to respond to the myriad of secondary incidents?  Sending social workers on 911 calls.  Fine.  They will have LE backup?  So we are creating more positions, not less across tens of thousands of precincts.  Seems a substantial need for resources and training.  Which I think is a good thing.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Lawrence said:

He should have dropped the taser if he just wanted to run away.   He didn’t.  He chose to point it and shoot it at a cop.  

Most tasers used these days are capable of multiple shots, by the way. 

You are a complete and total piece of shit.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 3

I think everyone needs to spend a few weeks doing ride-along's with LE (not just one or two).  One, it provides a significant layer of oversight and transparency.  You have "normal" people riding with and responding to calls who are also witnessing events in real time.  Two, it gives some measure of perspective on what the job entails.  If you are going to fix it, you also have to understand it at a granular level.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

So, do they need more resources or less?  Greater responsibility or less?  If less, who takes on that burden that is also qualified to respond to the myriad of secondary incidents?  Sending social workers on 911 calls.  Fine.  They will have LE backup?  So we are creating more positions, not less across tens of thousands of precincts.  Seems a substantial need for resources and training.  Which I think is a good thing.   

We’re on page 111 of this thread and you still can’t figure out what is being proposed. Absolutely incredible. 

JFC!!! No way to fix this without eliminating police unions with extreme prejudice. Some police union President just qualified a taser as a non lethal weapon in the hands of a cop, but a “deadly” weapon in the hands of a criminal...because cops are trained so well. He also suggested that if you feel that you’re in the right you should still peacefully “comply, go to court, or file a complaint and EVERYTHING will work out in the justice system.” Wow!

In other words, the unions want NO change whatsoever.

45 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I think everyone needs to spend a few weeks doing ride-along's with LE (not just one or two).  One, it provides a significant layer of oversight and transparency.  You have "normal" people riding with and responding to calls who are also witnessing events in real time.  Two, it gives some measure of perspective on what the job entails.  If you are going to fix it, you also have to understand it at a granular level.  

I don't think you need to spend a bunch of time riding along in a police car to make the value judgement that murder is immoral and should be stopped.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

I don't think you need to spend a bunch of time riding along in a police car to make the value judgement that murder is immoral and should be stopped.

Pretty sure that's got nothing to do with what I was talking out

14 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

JFC!!! No way to fix this without eliminating police unions with extreme prejudice. Some police union President just qualified a taser as a non lethal weapon in the hands of a cop, but a “deadly” weapon in the hands of a criminal...because cops are trained so well. He also suggested that if you feel that you’re in the right you should still peacefully “comply, go to court, or file a complaint and EVERYTHING will work out in the justice system.” Wow!

In other words, the unions want NO change whatsoever.

Yep.  I've been beating this drum for some time now.  

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Pretty sure that's got nothing to do with what I was talking out

We're in the thread about cops murdering people, right?

I've actually been on a couple of ride alongs, though. Have a couple of good friends who are APD. And I sort of agree with you. I think it's an experience everyone should go through just to become more civics-educated; sort of like jury duty. 

My takeaway was that being a cop is just as repetitive and tedious as just about any other job, at least relative to expectations.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, BradInATX said:

We're in the thread about cops murdering people, right?

I've actually been on a couple of ride alongs, though. Have a couple of good friends who are APD. And I sort of agree with you. I think it's an experience everyone should go through just to become more civics-educated; sort of like jury duty. 

My takeaway was that being a cop is just as repetitive and tedious as just about any other job, at least relative to expectations.

Murders are in fact way down.  Progress doesn't equal results, but it's moving in that direction.  I think there is more to proper LE behavior than a binary "murder...or no murder" outcome as it relates to fixing and reorganizing LE behavior.  I wonder how many interactions went south due to a lack of training and proficiency on the part of the LE?  My guess is quite a lot.  I also think visibility into what they see night after night and the stress and urgent, split-second decisions needing to be made will be invaluable to remediating the issues.  Unless we want to give the LE community more leeway to "police" themselves...which I doubt anyone wants.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Stupid fuck is gonna stupid fuck all day long.

Murders are in fact way down.  Progress doesn't equal results, but it's moving in that direction.  I think there is more to proper LE behavior than a binary "murder...or no murder" outcome as it relates to fixing and reorganizing LE behavior.  I wonder how many interactions went south due to a lack of training and proficiency on the part of the LE?  My guess is quite a lot.  I also think visibility into what they see night after night and the stress and urgent, split-second decisions needing to be made will be invaluable to remediating the issues.  Unless we want to give the LE community more leeway to "police" themselves...which I doubt anyone wants.  

There is research that shows that training doesn’t really move the needle. I’ve posted it a bunch of times in this thread.

14 minutes ago, bluto said:

Great example of a policeman who lacks the composure and temperament for the job. He got impatient almost immediately with the little flashes of attitude the 21-year-old was giving, and that boiled over to the point that he decided to unnecessarily assault the suspect.

Video also suggests Ofc. Reynolds lacks the integrity to be trusted with the authority of the position, as the suspect did not appear to be physically resisting, yet Reynolds charged him with resisting.

What is the penalty for making a false report as a citizen? Law enforcement should be held to at least the same standard.

• Like 1

I read the headline the other day, but the guy himself makes the story.  Every decent American trying to figure out a small way, given the pandemic, to connect with other people to show our fellow Americans that happen to be black that we support them.  Sometimes that means helping to stamp out racism, and sometimes that means with a tattoo iron. 

Which reminds me, can he turn this mistake on my arm into a tribute to Magnolia Cafe'?  I already miss that place.  

To be fair, that looks like most Sheratons on a normal day.  If you've ever stayed at the one in downtown San Antonio or Dallas, we are eskimo brothers.  And not in a good way.  

I'm guessing the all-star citizens of Bethel, Ohio.  Holy shit, if you're feeling okay again about how this country will rebound from all this...go watch some of the proud sons of Bethel, Ohio physically pushing girls around because they have this crazy notion of being civically engaged at a young age.  I sometimes forget how cowards guise themselves in false bravado.  And how that leads to tidal waves in civic leadership.  I forgot that I purposely surround myself with non-cowardice, so I often fail to recognize when it rears its ugly head.  

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What did you think was going to happen giving looters and rioters free reign at a hotel?

I’m just posting pics of what I thought would happen

They didn't give free reign to rioters and looters. The hotel primarily housed the displaced homeless population which includes all of the issues that come with homelessness (mental illness, drug addiction, etc.).

That's not to say that rioters didn't cause some of the damage later in the process, but this was not some protester/rioter/looter staging area like you're implying.

Edited by Huckleberry

Just now, Huckleberry said:

They didn't give free reign to rioters and looters. The hotel primarily housed the displaced homeless population which includes all of the issues that come with homelessness (mental illness, drug addiction, etc.).

Yep.  I mean, it does stand as a cautionary tale of "maybe it's not the wisest to put a bunch of mentally ill people and addicts in a nice hotel without help or supervision," which I think most everyone would agree with.

But other than the riots being the IMPETUS for putting them there....the protests, riots, etc. didn't have anything to do with the trashed hotel.  Rioters and looters didn't do that - regular old mentally ill and substance-addicted people did that....which is kinda what they do.  We should probably work on doing something about that population, don't you think?

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We should probably work on doing something about that population, don't you think?

Nooo!!! Everyone should pull themselves up by their bootstraps! If slorch did it, so can everyone else!

• Like 1

Ummmmm.....y'all remember the awful story about the straight-up murder of the Federal Protective Services police officer in Oakland?  The story is actually worse, about two levels of "shitty" worse.

The second layer, making it even fucking worse....

Some of those that work forces......

We've got a serious fucking problem here, guys.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ummmmm.....y'all remember the awful story about the straight-up murder of the Federal Protective Services police officer in Oakland?  The story is actually worse, about two levels of "shitty" worse.

The second layer, making it even fucking worse....

Damn....

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We’ve had domestic terrorists in our military since, well, probably forever. It’s an unfortunate byproduct of our military representing our society. I’d venture to guess every radical movement has sleepers in our our forces. It seems a couple times a year one pokes his head out and kills someone.

3 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

We’ve had domestic terrorists in our military since, well, probably forever. It’s an unfortunate byproduct of our military representing our society. I’d venture to guess every radical movement has sleepers in our our forces. It seems a couple times a year one pokes his head out and kills someone.

Besides, it could have been an Antifa setup.

• Haha 2

Lotsa F words and one death:

https://twitter.com/RealBasedMAGA/status/1272986328897064960?s=09

We don't know what preceded this, but it sure looks like it was self-defense there. We generally assume that bad guys tend to back down when you draw on them. But we've seen some cases today where that didn't happen. How it is possible to be SO mad at someone you'll stare down a bullet?

ETA

Twitter replies say he was there to defend the sculpture and was leaving when these guys brace him. Also:

297aecbbfac8a74c0284ab2098b1dc1d.jpg

We don't know what preceded this, but it sure looks like it was self-defense there. We generally assume that bad guys tend to back down when you draw on them. But we've seen some cases today where that didn't happen. How it is possible to be SO mad at someone you'll stare down a bullet?

ETA
Twitter replies say he was there to defend the sculpture and was leaving when these guys brace him. Also:

Who the fuck arms themselves and goes out solo to “protect a sculpture”? Obviously doesn’t merit being surrounded and jumped (if that’s the whole story), but seriously. WTF?
  • Like 1

ETA

Actually, we do know what preceded it....there clear video of him grabbing a woman who was in front of him and slamming her to the ground. Then it’s a series of skirmishes and fights that follow. It’s a mess.

But it does deserve a spot in the hall of “don’t start no shit, won’t be no shit.”
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Who the fuck arms themselves and goes out solo to “protect a sculpture”? Obviously doesn’t merit being surrounded and jumped (if that’s the whole story), but seriously. WTF?

Yeah who would think of arming themselves when they needed to protect something? Just crazy

49 minutes ago, scottsins said:

We've got an interesting legal case on our hands though.