Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

On 7/7/2020 at 9:59 AM, Captainant said:

The point is more that from looking at existing data, there is no correlation between increased training and improved behavior, for lack of a better term. This is a REALLY good twitter thread that sticks to data to back its points

The lower hanging fruit IMO is to change the relationship and power dynamic between the police unions and the cities they work for. The ability to play a shell game with serial offender officers and bury past wrongs is arguably the single largest contributing factor to our current animosity with policing.

Police unions need to be made illegal.  Start right there and a shit-ton of other issues just disappear.

• Like 1

https://www.startribune.com/daily-mail-leaks-bodycam-footage-of-george-floyd-arrest-killing/571995372/

The Daily Mail published an article on its website at 10:53 a.m. Central Time with the videos. It showed about 10 minutes of video from former officer Thomas Lane's bodycam and about 18 minutes from former officer J. Alexander Kueng's bodycam.

The two former officers' bodycam videos were made available for public viewing inside the Hennepin County courthouse in mid-July, but were prohibited from being recorded or publicly distributed.

It's unclear how the Daily Mail got the videos. The article said they were "leaked" to the company.

The courts had provided a large room and several laptops to view the videos, and required attendees to stow away their own personal laptops and cellphones during the hourlong viewing sessions. Sheriff's deputies and court staff were stationed throughout the room as several members of the media and public viewed the videos.

The two videos, which totaled about 65 minutes, were made viewable to the media and public by appointment only. Sixty-six slots were made available.

Attorney Earl Gray had filed the videos in court in early July as evidence supporting his motion to dismiss the charges against Lane, his client. Court filings make evidence, including bodycam footage, public data, according to state law.

A coalition of local and national media companies, including the Star Tribune, filed a motion in July seeking their immediate release. Cahill took the issue under advisement and has not issued a decision on the matter.

The videos, which were viewed by Star Tribune reporters in July, showed that Floyd was given no explanation for why he was being questioned before Lane pointed a gun and swore at him, touched him multiple times and forced him out of his vehicle into the street.

Kueng and Lane had responded to Cup Foods on May 25 on a report that Floyd had allegedly used a counterfeit $20 bill. They arrested Floyd. Their former colleagues, Derek Chauvin and Tou Thao, arrived later to help them.

Pretty crazy that someone was able to sneak a device in and film the whole video without getting caught. Jury selection just got more difficult

16 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Controversial take incoming...

The mentally ill and the drug addicted are worthy of care, attention, and life.

Totally agree.

However, this is not what we were led to believe was the case, or the reason.

Edited by Rip76
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Totally agree.

However, this is not what we were led to believe was the case, or the reason.

Expound on this.

George Floyd died because a cop kneeled on his neck for 8+ minutes, killing him. How he was acting before the cop did that is not relevant to anything.

If I am wrong in either of those sentences, please explain.

That's understandable. It can be hard for people to interrogate their primarily-emotional responses and then articulate a rationale that both satisfies that emotional reaction and makes enough coherent sense that it will "pass" out loud in conversation.

For some, in order to have sympathy for a person (black or otherwise) murdered by the state that person has to be perfect and clean. It's a normal way for people to be, because it's normal for people to just follow obediently behind violent authority.

The full, full video came out

Its still very upsetting what happens from the 16:00 minute mark and on, when he was fully subdued and offered no resistance, and still had 2 police officers on him.  1 on his back, but the most egregious is Chauvin on the front leaning on his neck while taking a full mental vacation up until the paramedics arrived. 

That dude is cold and deserves no less than hell

In the other footage, you could never hear her, only adult voices.  Only now, did I see her, and her line of sight to watching Floyd's life leave his body.  

But, Chauvin spends a good deal of time staring into the eyes of that 9 year old girl as he takes the life out of George Floyd.  I've felt this was a cold-blooded act of murder, but that he does it just a few feet away from a 9 year old girl while looking into her eyes is beyond eerie.  

If it's just a few bad apples, I don't even know the descriptor for Chauvin and the other 3.  I mean look at that stare he gives the little girl, that's the stare of a child predator.  

I feel bad for Chauvin's children.  I have no idea how the wife got tricked into marrying him in the first place, unless he's a very convincing sociopath.  Kinda husband who says he's going out to the shed to do some work and she goes out there to bring him something cold to drink and finds him mutilating a small animal to "send a message" to the other gophers.  

On 8/10/2020 at 2:38 PM, 52-80 said:

The full, full video came out

Its still very upsetting what happens from the 16:00 minute mark and on, when he was fully subdued and offered no resistance, and still had 2 police officers on him.  1 on his back, but the most egregious is Chauvin on the front leaning on his neck while taking a full mental vacation up until the paramedics arrived. 

That dude is cold and deserves no less than hell

Their all so blasé after murdering Floyd.

Heroes.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.startribune.com/windows-smashed-crowds-gather-after-police-say-shooting-suspect-killed-self/572231992/

Minneapolis police say a man suspected in a Wednesday afternoon homicide fatally shot himself hours later on Nicollet Mall as officers closed in, sparking protests and looting in the heart of downtown.

The man, who is Black, was wanted in the slaying of a man in a downtown parking garage, was on foot at 8th and Nicollet at 6 p.m. As police pulled up, he ducked into a doorway and shot himself in the head while onlookers scrambled away. The man has not been identified.

The incident was captured on city surveillance video, which police released within 90 minutes. The video confirms the police account of what happened, and shows the man glance over his shoulder before pulling out the gun and firing, then collapsing to the ground as a half dozen witnesses ran away with their hands in the air. The officers, once of whom had his gun drawn, shooed a remaining witness away and kicked the man’s gun away before performing chest compressions.

“This video has been released to help quell rumors and hopefully thwart civil unrest,” said police spokesman John Elder. “We are able to release the video in this instance because they are city cameras and our officers were not involved in any deadly use of force. Had that been the case, we would have turned all of this over to the (Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.)”

Elder said the officers’ body cameras were on, but will not be immediately released.

There's video of the suicide but I'm not going to link it.

34 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Interesting that they released that video within hours but we get nothing for months when a black guy gets shot by police...

And what a shitty time that we live in* that police have to rush to release video of a despondent man graphically taking his own life as a way to say, "See! It wasn't us this time!"

*From police distrust to citizens' rush to riot and loot

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 4:52 PM, Texas_Rocks said:

There’s going to be another riotous explosion if the defense manages to use the video to prove that the main offender didn’t roll up with the express intention of murdering this guy...and he ends up not spending the rest of his life behind bars.

This is absolutely going to happen 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

or they point to the Minneapolis police manual that shows leg to the side of the neck(as long as not on the trachea) is allowed.  crazy but it is..there are qualifiers but it is allowed on handcuffed individuals resisting arrest.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/george-floyd/minneapolis-police-training-materials-show-knee-to-neck-restraint-similar-to-used-on-george-floyd/89-9f002e3f-972a-4410-86cb-50a1237fc496

13 hours ago, Incredulity said:

And if the city burns to the ground that's really bad, but if the government wants to play stupid games then we all win stupid prizes.

I don't want riots, I want justice. But if we don't get justice, I'm not going to selectively switch on my moral outrage engine to get mad at the riots that follow.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

or they point to the Minneapolis police manual that shows leg to the side of the neck(as long as not on the trachea) is allowed.  crazy but it is..there are qualifiers but it is allowed on handcuffed individuals resisting arrest.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/george-floyd/minneapolis-police-training-materials-show-knee-to-neck-restraint-similar-to-used-on-george-floyd/89-9f002e3f-972a-4410-86cb-50a1237fc496

The manual allows that tactic on someone resisting arrest, not someone who "was previously resisting arrest, and now that tactic is no longer needed to subdue the suspect".

20 minutes ago, scottsins said:

The manual allows that tactic on someone resisting arrest, not someone who "was previously resisting arrest, and now that tactic is no longer needed to subdue the suspect".

i agree but the maneuver on a resisting handcuffed suspect is allowed.  I'm not defending the dumbass.  I was just pointing out that their manual states that the maneuver, shockingly, is allowed.  I didn't know that and thought others might not either.  it seems like the MPD is an outlier on this.  I think the guy is going down but I'm concerned they over-charged him.

I'm still on board that if a handcuffed unarmed suspect is resisting you just let him run around.  if gets hit by a car, falls breaks his neck, whatever just call backup and wait until he peters out.

• Hook 'Em 1

They might wanna have it in MN Longhorn's town. Moorhead folks are praying please God no. I imagine Fargo (right across the river) would go on lockdown as well. Keep your fighting and rioting to yourselves, citizens of Minnesota!

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/crime-and-courts/6663518-Clay-County-eyed-as-potential-venue-for-George-Floyd-trial-sheriff-says-it-would-be-a-nightmare

d776655a435a5a9809962b5a77f76b42.jpg

• 1 year later...

TLDR version: MPD is a pile of shit emblematic of every problem with modern policing in America.  Also, "duh."

Stay tuned for Part II, where we reveal that the vast majority of American PDs are much closer to the MPD model than they are to being an appropriate law enforcement agency.  This story can be found in the next issue of "Duh -- a journal of the obvious," brought to you by "no shit, Sherlock" publishing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

TLDR version: MPD is a pile of shit emblematic of every problem with modern policing in America.  Also, "duh."

Stay tuned for Part II, where we reveal that the vast majority of American PDs are much closer to the MPD model than they are to being an appropriate law enforcement agency.  This story can be found in the next issue of "Duh -- a journal of the obvious," brought to you by "no shit, Sherlock" publishing.

And look for the sequel, "Absolutely Nothing Will Be Done About It"

• Rage+1 2

The saddest part is that the voters of Minneapolis decided to keep MPD in place, and not only elect Mayor Jacob Frey to another term, but convert city government to a strong-mayor from a weak-mayor system. I guess the Minneapolis taxpayer is okay with 8-figure excessive force settlements.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 3:37 PM, Incredulity said:

It is.  

The fact these people have nothing to do tomorrow or the next day or the next day or...is the napalm that is fueling this.

So moving our conversation to a more appropriate thread.... The napalm that fueled the anti-police violence during the 2020 summer of love is the fact that MPD MURDERED George Floyd, and law enforcement sheltered the criminals from legal repercussions or even fucking investigations. Had MPD just fucking treated Floyd's murderers like fucking suspects and shown real equal accountability, there would not have been the impetus for the protests that devolved into violence (with the help of white suprema - I mean - very fine people)

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Sorry to break this news to you, but they were arrested, prosecuted and now jailed.  Burning the city down isn't the reason that happened.

No shit. Burning the city down is what we call a bad outcome from bad public policy and a broken public trust. Not sure where you're getting this idea that I'm claiming it was a good thing or led to good things. Also I'm getting my cases mixed up here a bit so my apologies - chauvin and his accomplices were actually charged pretty quickly and I'm mixing this up with the Arbery and Taylor murders and trials. MPD did actually fire chauvin after this incident, but it wasn't his first time choking out suspects, and MPD's willful negligence is a significant factor towards why there was violence.

Also, yeah, like I mentioned in my post much of the burning was instigated by the fascists. And the city didn't completely burn down.