Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

I'm not gonna watch, but I have to assume they were aware someone was filming them?

It probably doesn't say anything good about your society when your police openly murder people while being recorded and just act like it's no big deal.

• Like 3

Honest question: is putting your knee into a suspects neck standard police protocol? Something similar happened in Dallas a few years back and the cops were doing the same thing except laughing that he "fell asleep". All the non-lethal tools in the world and they thought strangling him was the way to go. 

This is far worse than Ahmaud Arbery. At least those guys can make a colorable argument that they were mistaken and that the shooter panicked when Arbery grabbed his gun. I.e., they can argue manslaughter. This is a cop - who's supposed to be a professional and trained for shit - calmly and cold-bloodedly strangling the life out of an already subdued human being begging for his life.

"Don't kill me." 

• Like 1

Heroes in blue!! Video in the link

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/minneapolis-police-fatal-arrest-officer-kneeling-neck-man-died/

A video taken by an onlooker Monday evening shows a Minneapolis police officer keeping his knee on the neck of a motionless, moaning man at the foot of a squad car. The man later died.

A police statement said officers were responding to a "forgery in progress."

"Officers were advised that the suspect was sitting on top of a blue car and appeared to be under the influence," the statement said. "Two officers arrived and located the suspect, a male believed to be in his 40s, in his car. He was ordered to step from his car.

"After he got out, he physically resisted officers. Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress. Officers called for an ambulance," according to the statement. 

The man died soon after, the statement said, adding: "At no time were weapons of any type used by anyone involved in this incident.  … Body worn cameras were on and activated during this incident."

Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said at a press conference Tuesday that the FBI will lead the investigation into the incident due to the possible civil rights violation.

Two of the officers involved have been "relieved of duty status," Arradondo said. The officers are still receiving pay, but have no law enforcement duties.

The video, captured by Darnella Frazier, begins with the man, who is black, groaning and repeatedly saying "I can't breathe" to the officer who has his knee on the man's neck. The officer is white.

"Please," the man pleads. "I can't breathe," and continues to moan. An officer keeps insisting he get in the car, while the man repeatedly says he can't.

"My stomach hurts. My neck hurts. Everything hurts. … (I need) water or something. Please. Please. I can't breathe, officer. … I cannot breathe. I cannot breathe." That was followed by more groaning.

miineapolis-police-incident-052520.jpg

A female bystander points out the subject's nose is bleeding. 

In an ongoing commentary permeated by cursing, a male onlooker says: "That's bulls—t, Bro. You're stopping his breathing right there, Bro. Get him off the ground, Bro. You're being a bum right now."

The man says the officer is "enjoying that. He's a bum, Bro. You could have put him in the car by now. He's not resisting arrest or nothing. You're enjoying it. Look at you. Your body language — you bum. You know that's bogus right now."

The female onlooker repeatedly urges the officers to check the subject's pulse. "He's not responsive right now," a bystander says. "He's not moving." An ambulance then arrives and takes the man away.

"You just really killed that man, Bro," the male onlooker says to the officer. 

Frazier, who took the video, wrote on Facebook: "They killed him right in front of cup foods over south on 38th and Chicago!! No type of sympathy 💔💔#POLICEBRUTALITY."

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey called the man's death "simply awful," and "wrong at every level" at the press conference Tuesday.

"For the better part of the night I've been trying to find the words to describe what happened and all I keep coming back to is that he should not have died," Frey said. 

"What we saw was horrible, completely and utterly messed up," he said. "This man's life matters, he matters. He was someone's son, someone's family member, someone's friend. He was a human being and his life mattered."

16 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

The report I read they were arresting this guy for forgery? Murdering pieces of shit

I'm sure it was more than that, we need a full history on everything he may have done in his life. #notjustaforger

(again sarcasm obviously)

• Like 1

well, the Minneapolis cop who killed Justine Diamond a few years back was convicted of third degree murder and got 12.5 years in prison.  Diamond's family settled a civil suit for $20 million.  so there is a chance this cop is charged and convicted.  but not before the victim is dragged through the mud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Justine_Damond

I'm in the twin cities and just heard about this on the radio this morning.  I couldn't bring myself to watch the video but if the description is accurate, then holy shit.  Keeping your knee on the neck of a cuffed guy for 5 minutes while he complains he can't breathe?  

24 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

well, the Minneapolis cop who killed Justine Diamond a few years back was convicted of third degree murder and got 12.5 years in prison.  Diamond's family settled a civil suit for $20 million.  so there is a chance this cop is charged and convicted.  but not before the victim is dragged through the mud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Justine_Damond

The Philando Castile case reduces that chance to 50/50. Or 0% if the victim's melanin count is taken into consideration. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Philando_Castile

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

16 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Can we merge this with other thread?

Does it really make sense to merge it with the white people calling cops for stupid shit thread?  This is police brutality, hell for all we know the person that called it in  had a reason to do so. I'm assuming they didn't call 911 and say we have a black dude forging things, choke him out if you see someone matching that description.

Edit- I'm an idiot.  Just saw the Henry James thread on this incident he was referring to.  Carry on.

Edited by Not a cat

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

that's murder and anyone there that didn't stop it, is also a murderer 

Yep.  Murder.  Just putting his knee on the guy's neck?  Not necessarily -- I don't know if that's a legal "technique" or not, but in a vacuum, that alone wouldn't be murder.

However, when the victim is telling you that what you are doing means that he can't breathe -- a function necessary for life -- and you continue to do it, then at that moment, you made a conscious choice to purposefully cause serious bodily harm/death.  That's murder.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Murder.  Just putting his knee on the guy's neck?  Not necessarily -- I don't know if that's a legal "technique" or not, but in a vacuum, that alone wouldn't be murder.

However, when the victim is telling you that what you are doing means that he can't breathe -- a function necessary for life -- and you continue to do it, then at that moment, you made a conscious choice to purposefully cause serious bodily harm/death.  That's murder.

And "I didn't believe him, perps lie all the time" isn't a legitimate excuse. Assuming it is an actual technique that is taught, he should also have been taught the amount of force to use to not choke a person to death. Of course it will be stated as an excuse and will win many people over, because 'murica. 

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

And "I didn't believe him, perps lie all the time" isn't a legitimate excuse. Assuming it is an actual technique that is taught, he should also have been taught the amount of force to use to not choke a person to death. Of course it will be stated as an excuse and will win many people over, because 'murica. 

Maybe the perp is lying about his death. Ever think of that?

Guest Lobo

Do the police still wonder why they can't convince city councils to up their budgets?  If they didn't have to explain away a handful of murders every year, maybe you guys would get that new locker room you've been asking for.  Nevermind the filmed murders, wait until America hears about how many of you are involved in the trafficking of illegal goods and services.  How many of you beat the shit out of your wives and it goes unreported because she has nobody to tell it to.

Y'all have a very difficult job to do, and you do it well for the most part.  We get it, we're on the same page there.  But your extracurriculars are getting quite irresponsible and eventually the money changing hands is no longer gonna be worth protecting you over.  Maybe...sometimes...every once in awhile...in a blue moon...dark people don't adhere to your commands because you end up killing them if they do.  Do you understand that under the Geneva Convention...you'd be hanged?  And not in the fun way you jerk off to involving black people.  

Edited by Lobo

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I'm not gonna watch, but I have to assume they were aware someone was filming them?

It probably doesn't say anything good about your society when your police openly murder people while being recorded and just act like it's no big deal.

per the article there was a crowd gathered around yelling at the cops

Edited by elfenix