Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

10 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’d be scoping out the DVDs/BlueRays (I have a dual player lol) because there are a lot of movies you’ll likely never be able to stream. Like Critters! If you can enjoy random 80’s movies for no reason...

I don't have to watch it, Dotty... I lived it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m just observing that what is happening is 100% human, 100% predictable, and was 100% avoidable. It’s a fucking shame and a waste.

This is where I'm at with the looting. Some of them are pure opportunists who don't know or care what's going on, they're just thieves who see an opening. Fuck them, for sure. Some of them are angry at the system as a whole and think that they are getting back at the system. I don't necessarily agree, but I'm not going to run them through the mud for that mindset, because it's not entirely irrational. Some are truly hurt and grieving and this is how they are coping, and while I don't condone it, I'm not going to make any blanket judgments about their motivations or state of mind. But again, all preventable if fucking cops would do their goddamn jobs correctly and if their bosses would hold them accountable immediately and not after months of "review."

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 2

In the below article there a lot of stuff about who George Floyd was as a person. A human being. Didn’t know he grew up in Houston. The types of jobs he had etc...for those who haven’t read much about who he was it is a quick read. 
 And then there was this tidbit (also details which entities are currently involved and investigating Floyd’s murder):
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/us/george-floyd-trnd/index.html
The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is conducting its own investigation into possible violations of Minnesota statutes, the FBI said. The Major Cities Chiefs Association, an organization of police executives representing the largest cities in the US and Canada, released a statement Wednesday calling the actions of the officers involved in Floyd's death "inconsistent with the training and protocols of our profession."  The organization's current president is Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo.  

I’m not picking on you but it doesn’t matter what type of person he was. He could have been a card-carrying pedo and what was done to him would have been just as wrong and just as outrageous.
  • Like 2

I’d be scoping out the DVDs/BlueRays (I have a dual player lol) because there are a lot of movies you’ll likely never be able to stream. Like Critters! If you can enjoy random 80’s movies for no reason...

Also: Critters is on HBO MAX which launched yesterday. :)

15 hours ago, Captainant said:

I was at an HEB near Spring Branch today - a cop in the parking lot was head to toe all black tacticool with a helmet and kneepads and the whole nine yards. They're just big boys excited to break out their big toys.

And then use them on the bad guys, whoever they decide they are.

FTFY

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:
1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:
And visually, here's the contrast:
To protect a murderer, the local PD preemptively brought out dozens of cops to perform a protective phalanx.
To stop a murder that was ACTUALLY HAPPENING RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM, three MPD cops did nothing.  Not a single word or action to stop the murder.
Dozens of cops are protecting Chauvin.  No cops protected George Floyd.

Read more  

Yup. Won't argue with any of that.

There’s a lot more you shouldn’t argue with.

14 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

There is this great band with a very relevant name “All Pigs Must Die”. Facts.

Also, all you pro gun people, isn’t this the kind of shit y’all live for? Government killing people? Shouldn’t y’all just be gunning these pigs down?

Also, I seriously want Constant to chime in. That fucking pig probably has turned a blind eye to all kinds of shit. Coward sooner.

Fuck pigs.

Easy there fella....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 'stache said:

This is where I'm at with the looting. Some of them are pure opportunists who don't know or care what's going on, they're just thieves who see an opening. Fuck them, for sure. Some of them are angry at the system as a whole and think that they are getting back at the system. I don't necessarily agree, but I'm not going to run them through the mud for that mindset, because it's not entirely irrational. Some are truly hurt and grieving and this is how they are coping, and while I don't condone it, I'm not going to make any blanket judgments about their motivations or state of mind. But again, all preventable if fucking cops would do their goddamn jobs correctly and if their bosses would hold them accountable immediately and not after months of "review."

Same here.  I was angry enough watching the video of the murder, from a thousand miles away, and a lifetime of experiences away as a white woman who lives in suburbia.  I can't fathom what watching that video with someone in my community killed, having lived under that type of "policing" for a lifetime, would feel like.  While this may be the most egregious example, this killing wasn't a solitary incident with the police acting completely respectfully in  all their other interactions with community.  And then they protested the murder caught on video without any arrest and were met with rubber bullets and tear gas.  I'm not excusing the looting, but I understand the rage. And this is the fault of a city and a country that let this happen over decades.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Quote from someone there last night

"Just so people are clear about what happened in Minneapolis last night. Police did not unload on the protesters to stop looting. That was happening way off in the distance. Police were unloading on everyone protesting in front of Precinct 3. The arson and widespread looting down the lake street, only happened after loads of us were hurt from volley after volley of tear gas, mace, concussion grenades, and sponge rounds. It was completely indiscriminate I was hit in the butt while walking in the street away from the precinct. A CS canister hit me square in the forehead knocking me to the ground and blinding me for an hour while I was simply kneeling in a grassy area some ways from the police. Police weren't 'responding' to an ongoing riot they CAUSED it. First with their murder of George Floyd and refusal to prosecute the criminals, and second through their massive repression against protesters who never crossed a police line or endangered any cop. The photos your all seeing is the righteous fury of a people denied justice by their city.
Thanks to Matthew Hainer"

100953544_4622508171093458_9012108294986

Ha, there's one of those new "gentrifying" apartment buildings everyone hates in the background.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Ask yourself this question, and be honest about the answer:  How many of those you deem "good cops" in this statement would have stopped knee boy as he was committing murder and arrested him on the spot?

Again, be honest.

If you are you'll realize that there are really very, very few "good cops".

@HoffaJimmy

You are entitled to your opinion just as I can respectfully disagree with that opinion. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

....and because all of those "good cops" allow cops like Chauvin to continue to police like this, covering for him and backing him up.  That's a really, really, really important part of the problem.  The MOST important part, actually.

Nobody expects any profession or group to be made of 100% angels.  There's gonna be a bad guy in every group -- hell, there are evil bartenders and shit.

I've often thought that this "blind eye / cover-up" mentality appears to be unique among the LEO profession for some reason.  I can't think of any other profession where the good apples so aggressively cover for the bad apples.  Normally any organization is pretty quick to distance themselves from those who bring problems to the professional image.

I may be missing a group or two but they don't come to mind.  Other professional groups turn pretty quickly on the bad actors to preserve their own image and career image / livelihood.

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Can the cops that stood around allowing this murder to happen be charged with accessory to the crime? or even murder as well without committing the act but allowing it to happen?

If any of those other officers had even a shred of human decency they would have nailed the murdering cop upside the head with a nightstick.

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

As a chaser to the MLK quote - the police sure do care about protecting the murderer

A fucking company-level deployment of cops protecting a murderer while the city burns because of his actions and their collective inaction against him.

Not to say she isn't right, but that was as monotonous as boomer sooner.

18 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I've often thought that this "blind eye / cover-up" mentality appears to be unique among the LEO profession for some reason.  I can't think of any other profession where the good apples so aggressively cover for the bad apples.  Normally any organization is pretty quick to distance themselves from those who bring problems to the professional image.

I may be missing a group or two but they don't come to mind.  Other professional groups turn pretty quickly on the bad actors to preserve their own image and career image / livelihood.

Make their pension funds non-exempt assets under ERISA so they can have the shit sued out of them when they do this kinds of shit.  Let the cops suffer financially, and not the taxpayer.  Maybe then they will start policing their own.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

If any of those other officers had even a shred of human decency they would have nailed the murdering cop upside the head with a nightstick.

Hell, I suspect most of us have a memory of a buddy getting into a fight -- at a party, a bar, whatever.  And when your buddy gets enough of an upper hand, and really starts whooping a guy, we step in and say "okay man, that's enough."  Because even if the douche he is beating totally deserved it....we don't want to see anyone seriously hurt.  Because it's just human nature.

Where was the cop watching this, who should have said "okay man, that's enough.   Let up on his neck."   That's it.  That's really all that had to happen, and we never would have heard about this case.  A fellow officer didn't have to go in with a weapon -- he just had to tell his colleague "that's enough, let him up."

But they didn't.  Because cops.

• Like 7

Guest Lobo

I'm starting to think the reason they never call one another out isn't because "back the blue" or "gotta protect the pension, bro"...I think it's simply, "I wanna see this, wish I was gettin' to do that."  

Edited by Lobo

There’s a lot more you shouldn’t argue with.
I haven't engaged in any arguments here. I've shared insight that I feel adds to the discussion and/ or clarifies things.

I, like everyone else, am mortified by the murder I witnessed on that video.

I, like many here have been victimized by law enforcement in a significant, traumatic, life changing way- not just by individual officers involved, but by the system.

I, UNLIKE anyone here, suffered my injustice directly at the hands of the Minneapolis Police Department.

So fuck off. As much as you may want me to, I don't fit your narrative of a sympathizer or apologist.
  • Like 1

Just now, Lobo said:

I'm starting to think the reason they never call one another out isn't because "back the blue" or "gotta protect the pension, bro"...I think it's simply, "I wanna see this, wish I was gettin' to do that."  

Or maybe they don't want to get Serpico'd?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

That is absolutely an element of it.

If you were to write out the criteria of how criminal gangs operate, including omerta and "blood in, blood out," the overlap with law enforcement agencies is near perfect.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You are mentally ill.  Please seek professional help if you really believe that.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yeah, I get why they keep quiet when it comes to bribes/rackets/evidence disappearing, but when another officer who isn't even your lifelong partner (who is "getting too old for this shit/2 weeks away from his pension) is clearly killing somebody in broad daylight around a dozen witnesses...is it really "Serpico-esque" to say, "Hey Bob, ease up" 

In this day and age of police vilification for brutality and death, I don't think the others at your department are gonna shoot you in the face (a la Serpico) for just being like, "Bob, there's a lot of people here, maybe we should just call a paramedic or just tase him and leave him be until we get next orders."  I know their bonds run deeper than that, but in this day and age of just one senseless murder after another by police where they are literally losing their jobs, their pensions, and their freedom...I would think there'd almost be some appreciation of level-headedness where a cooler head in the group says, "lots of folks around, let's just beat the shit out of him and let him live, and we'll all probably get 2 weeks paid leave.  I could use a trip to Mall of America anyway."  Bullshit levity about police aside, I would think there's some modicum of incentive in, "Yeah, I can't shoot that guy with the camera.  My kids are gonna see me standing here pretending like I'm not helping Bob murder this black dude.  Not a great look for me with Father's Day coming up in a few weeks."  

Guest Lobo
Just now, Fondren & Main said:

You are mentally ill.  Please seek professional help if you really believe that.

You don't think in the history of police brutality, there's been one officer watching another officer commit the brutality that's thought, "I wish I could beat/kill that person."  Not one time?  That's never happened?  You're saliently clear about that?  You know about every single case in U.S. law enforcement history...one officer hasn't ever thought, "I'm gonna whoop somebody's ass one day, too."? That's never happened?  And you think I'm delusional?  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You don't think in the history of police brutality, there's been one officer watching another officer commit the brutality that's thought, "I wish I could beat/kill that person."  Not one time?  That's never happened?  You're saliently clear about that?  You know about every single case in U.S. law enforcement history...one officer hasn't ever thought, "I'm gonna whoop somebody's ass one day, too."? That's never happened?  And you think I'm delusional?  

Well to be fair, that’s not really what you were arguing. You made an absolute statement: “the reason they never call one another out is because...” You’ve got the burden of proof backwards here.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

"I'm starting to think" 

That's an absolute statement to you?  Good lord, you take debate lessons from 14 year old white girls?  

26 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Or worried about being "Serpicoed".

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

"I'm starting to think" 

That's an absolute statement to you?  Good lord, you take debate lessons from 14 year old white girls?  

You’re the one who seems to think a single example would prove their sweeping generalization right. Your tenure is at clown college, isn’t it?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I get why they keep quiet when it comes to bribes/rackets/evidence disappearing, but when another officer who isn't even your lifelong partner (who is "getting too old for this shit/2 weeks away from his pension) is clearly killing somebody in broad daylight around a dozen witnesses...is it really "Serpico-esque" to say, "Hey Bob, ease up" 

In this day and age of police vilification for brutality and death, I don't think the others at your department are gonna shoot you in the face (a la Serpico) for just being like, "Bob, there's a lot of people here, maybe we should just call a paramedic or just tase him and leave him be until we get next orders."  I know their bonds run deeper than that, but in this day and age of just one senseless murder after another by police where they are literally losing their jobs, their pensions, and their freedom...I would think there'd almost be some appreciation of level-headedness where a cooler head in the group says, "lots of folks around, let's just beat the shit out of him and let him live, and we'll all probably get 2 weeks paid leave.  I could use a trip to Mall of America anyway."  Bullshit levity about police aside, I would think there's some modicum of incentive in, "Yeah, I can't shoot that guy with the camera.  My kids are gonna see me standing here pretending like I'm not helping Bob murder this black dude.  Not a great look for me with Father's Day coming up in a few weeks."  

you know i think this situation happened? because someone was there filming and there was a small crowd telling the cop to ease up. he didn't, because fuck you, that's why, citizen, you don't tell me what to do, i tell you what to do, i am the leo here. that's why this picture:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRu92SebGkkFp7CcQHBtOl

is the one the news has run with. he's not focused on any sort of restraint in this picture. he's demonstrating who is boss, and it definitely isn't you with the camera phone, citizen. the other cop is squared up to the gathered witnesses as another deterrent, and also has his back to the murder cop, so he's got plausible deniability. 

he killed this guy to show the citizens who is really in charge. 

• Like 4

And I'll say something positive -- this statement is a start.  It doesn't go far enough.  It needs to unequivocally state that no one is above the law, especially those sworn to uphold it.  But it's a start.  It's a shit-ton better than the typical closing of ranks and defending the indefensible.  But it's but one tiny step....let's see how they keep it up.
How's this then:

https://www.twincities.com/2020/05/27/metro-area-law-enforcement-leaders-condemn-minneapolis-police-officers-conduct-say-it-violates-common-training-and-use-of-force-policies/

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

you know i think this situation happened? because someone was there filming and there was a small crowd telling the cop to ease up. he didn't, because fuck you, that's why, citizen, you don't tell me what to do, i tell you what to do, i am the leo here. that's why this picture:

is the one the news has run with. he's not focused on any sort of restraint in this picture. he's demonstrating who is boss, and it definitely isn't you with the camera phone, citizen. the other cop is squared up to the gathered witnesses as another deterrent, and also has his back to the murder cop, so he's got plausible deniability. 

This scenario is not just plausible, it's likely.  Sigh.

I've had something stuck in my craw for better than a day now as far as a lack of arrests goes.

Considering all the chaos that has ensued over the murder and lack of arrests or other official action, wouldn't the city/county/state, SOMEBODY say "in the interest of keeping the peace let's go ahead and arrest all the cops now".  I don't know all the legalities or red tape involved obviously, but it seems like it would have nipped a lot of things in the bud.  They could then sort out all of the details after the arrests were made and peace restored.

The situation is only going to continue to get worse until arrests are made.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 2

Catholic Church says hi.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

I don't see a damn word about murder. If you or I choked someone to death on video, we'd be arrested as soon as the cops could locate us. 

These fuckers made a phalanx around his house to protect him

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

I was actually telling my son this yesterday.  Ironically, had those people not tried to help I bet Billy bad ass lets him up.  Obviously, not their fault and I can't imagine doing anything differently if I were in the shoes of the observer.

Guest Lobo
15 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Your tenure is at clown college, isn’t it?

Well yeah, but it's one of the better clown colleges.  It's Auguste...Upper-Division.  Serious shit.  

Just now, Buzzrock said:

Catholic Church says hi.

No disagreement there but I'm mostly thinking of it in the context of a profession and not of institutional cover-ups (Hi Baylor and PSU!).

Rouge doctors get outed by their own and you don't see them courting public opinion with bumper sticker campaigns for example.

People bash lawyers all the time, but they don't rise up en masse to support one of their own in the face of obvious criminal or unethical behavior.

Maybe the analogy is correct in that the LEO profession acts more like an institution than a trade group.....call out one and you are perceived to be against them all.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Hell, I suspect most of us have a memory of a buddy getting into a fight -- at a party, a bar, whatever.  And when your buddy gets enough of an upper hand, and really starts whooping a guy, we step in and say "okay man, that's enough."  Because even if the douche he is beating totally deserved it....we don't want to see anyone seriously hurt.  Because it's just human nature.

Where was the cop watching this, who should have said "okay man, that's enough.   Let up on his neck."   That's it.  That's really all that had to happen, and we never would have heard about this case.  A fellow officer didn't have to go in with a weapon -- he just had to tell his colleague "that's enough, let him up."

But they didn't.  Because cops.

And because they do it all the time