Cutting board (and more) advice needed

I want a hardwood cutting board that is big enough for a brisket, so 20x15 is probably as small as I would consider. I’m thinking of an end grain “block-style” rather than an edge grain or one-piece because I reckon end grain would be less susceptible to warping or cracking. My son made a smaller one that is end grain. That was at least 10 years ago in a HS shop class he took for fun, and it has held up wonderfully, but he doesn’t even remember what wood he used. What is Surly’s collective wisdom on this?

I also want advice on wood types to consider or avoid? Brands or stores to trust? Amazon is worthless because half of their positive reviews are fake, and the negative reviews make me gun shy.

While I have the meat-eating world’s attention, what knives do the professionals prefer for slicing brisket or other large meats? I have several larger knives that I keep very sharp, but I envy the knives the pros use in videos as they always seem to glide through bark like it’s butter.

Cost is not much of a factor for any of this as I plan on these being the last I ever  purchase. Thoughts like this tend to enter my mind after parents, aunts and uncles, and then older cousins start dying.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Starting with knives, the 14" Dexter-Russell slicer is great for brisket and is inexpensive.

As for boards, I like maple.  We've had one for 20 years we got as a wedding gift that is in the size range you mentioned.  I think it was from Crate and Barrel, but who can remember.  We got a smaller, but thicker maple board from Amazon last year, which I really like (that's not a fake Amazon review).

Need to sand down occasionally and apply oil.  That's it.  Here's a sliced packer on it.  As you can tell, it needed a sanding at that point.  But I'd rather have a board that gets worked over by my knives than the other way around.

5qn3-DMOE4-QYRnf-XHG7-PMESEq-ECr-Eeq-rcn

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

I had a large butcher block (maple) installed years ago when i redid my kitchen.  1/2 my island is BB, the other half granite.  great work area.

i agree on the dexter knife above (all dexter knives).  I dont touch my shuns and other $$ knives anymore.  14" slicer, a boning knife (great for triming before cooking) and a nice heavy clever for chopping.  

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

Starting with knives, the 14" Dexter-Russell slicer is great for brisket and is inexpensive.

As for boards, I like maple.  We've had one for 20 years we got as a wedding gift that is in the size range you mentioned.  I think it was from Crate and Barrel, but who can remember.  We got a smaller, but thicker maple board from Amazon last year, which I really like (that's not a fake Amazon review).

Need to sand down occasionally and apply oil.  That's it.  Here's a sliced packer on it.  As you can tell, it needed a sanding at that point.  But I'd rather have a board that gets worked over by my knives than the other way around.

5qn3-DMOE4-QYRnf-XHG7-PMESEq-ECr-Eeq-rcn

Thanks, but the link isn’t working for me. Is this it?

Dexter 14" Duo-Edge Roast Slicer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029SKFQ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kjzZEbFZS1Q4M

I have a couple of Dexter-Russel meat cleavers that I like. What make was the smaller maple cutting board that Amazon paid you to compliment? They might make different sizes. 

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

I got this

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFDB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for cutting brisket and other meat and it's great.

I see that style being used. Victorinox is another line of good value knives. I bought each of my daughters a Victorinox knife and sharpening steel for college. One had hers stolen by a roommate when that roommate  moved out. The other can’t master the sharpening steel technique. 

any knife thats decently sharp can cut through brisket.  whats generally good for tough-skin stuff is a serrated or scalloped edge.  the other thing thats good is to have long blade so it doesnt get swallowed up by the cut. 

no specific recs but something like this victorinox would work well

1633124.jpg

you do see boos on video a lot - i bet they sponsor the show.  i wouldnt care much about end vs edge grain.  personally i think the differences matter more in aesthetics than functional.  just as a main board, get the biggest one you can.  small boards suck.  THAT SAID, i love having small plastic boards for tiny jobs that are easier to clean up.

• Like 1

My wife’s nephew does high-end custom wood working, mostly tables. He suggests LumbertownWoodworks out of Muskegon, Michigan. I suspect he thinks I want something custom order, perhaps Texas-themed since that’s the direction our conversations usually go. I’ll probably end up going with something traditional from someplace like John Boos Cutting Boards.

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Thanks, but the link isn’t working for me. Is this it?

Dexter 14" Duo-Edge Roast Slicer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029SKFQ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kjzZEbFZS1Q4M

I have a couple of Dexter-Russel meat cleavers that I like. What make was the smaller maple cutting board that Amazon paid you to compliment? They might make different sizes. 

Might have misspoke.  Look for 12" Dexter Soft Grip Scalloped Slicer.  Should be in the $30--$40 range (used to be cheaper). 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

any knife thats decently sharp can cut through brisket.  whats generally good for tough-skin stuff is a serrated or scalloped edge.  the other thing thats good is to have long blade so it doesnt get swallowed up by the cut. 

no specific recs but something like this victorinox would work well

1633124.jpg

you do see boos on video a lot - i bet they sponsor the show.  i wouldnt care much about end vs edge grain.  personally i think the differences matter more in aesthetics than functional.  just as a main board, get the biggest one you can.  small boards suck.  THAT SAID, i love having small plastic boards for tiny jobs that are easier to clean up.

I love my Victorinox Chef's knife.  Careful with the rosewood handles though, some of them smell (apparently a feature of Indian Rosewood I never got from guitars). 

14 minutes ago, Deej said:

Because your not handling your guitars with hands covered in brisket fat, at least I hope. 

True, but this "stink" comes new in box with the Victorinox knives with the rosewood handles.  I thought the reviews were overdoing it, but it's taken several soaks and reoilings to have it where my hands don't stink after I use it.

I have a cherry wood cutting board that I bought from a vendor at Fiesta at Laguna Gloria probably 25 years ago. I've sanded it maybe 3 times. I wash with hot water and a soapy brush. Nobody's gotten sick. I've done well north of 600 briskets on it.  It's probably 10-12 long pieces glued together. I'll try and grab a pic tomorrow.

If you can wait and buy one from a local craftsman, I think that's be a good thing. They'd appreciate the business (fuck you, covid 19) and you can know you're not getting some Chinese shit.Tell them you'll post reviews on a nation-wide website full of bbq experts.

I also use a 14" scalloped Dexter with the white plastic handle. Probably 8-10 years old. Doesn't ever need sharpening because I make the best, most tenderest briskets in the state. {ducks}

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I also use a 14" scalloped Dexter with the white plastic handle. Probably 8-10 years old. Doesn't ever need sharpening because I make the best, most tenderest briskets in the state. {ducks}

I got mine the week before the TX/USC game at SC three years ago.  Family was out of town and the brisket didn't get done until the festivities were well underway.  I tried to go into speed mode slicing sausage with that sword and scalloped my thumb pretty well.  My thumb apparently is pretty tender because the bastard has stayed plenty sharp since then.  Good times.

• Like 1

I've used boards from TheBoardSmith in my last 2 kitchens, both of them are still in great condition and it's been 8 and 10yrs (get regularly oiled) and look fantastic. A lot more selection of woods, grains, looks, and the ability to do some customization if you want (add perimeter or side grooves, etc), at a price better than Boos. I bought mine from the founder, David - he retired and it's under a different owner now, so I can't guarantee the boards haven't changed.

http://www.theboardsmith.com/our-story/

Highly recommended.

Browsing the site, I'm seeing some cool stuff (of course he has "normal" boards also):

He wasn't doing mosaic before. Visually it's a hard one to match to a kitchen, but holy hell the workmanship and time:

http://www.theboardsmith.com/product/rectilinear-mosaic-butcher-block-12-1-2-x-18-x-2/

And this brick pattern is sweet:

http://www.theboardsmith.com/product/walnutmaple-brick-pattern/

Edited by Sam Lin
10yrs! and added some links

For a similar 'plain' board. Boos doesn't do a mosaic.

Also note that the majority of Boos' smaller boards are edge-grain, not end-grain. Not much real difference to the user, but it's definitely cheaper to make.

Edited by Sam Lin
grain comment

I also want advice on wood types to consider or avoid?

Maple is the standard. You can mix in some cherry or walnut if you want a design or pattern in the wood. Don’t use oak, it is very porous and isn’t suitable for cutting boards.

I’ve been using this maple board for close to 20 years. It’s 24x24x3.

128eefe92435978b183c1d175dba3da7.jpg

I made this one about 4 years ago and donated it to a charity auction. A friend of mine bought it and has never used it because he doesn’t want to mess it up. Maple and cherry with a walnut boarder. I think it is 20x20x1.75.

7ae722efed7edc466bea4d50bcd44440.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I've used boards from TheBoardSmith in my last 2 kitchens, both of them are still in great condition and it's been 8 and 10yrs (get regularly oiled) and look fantastic. A lot more selection of woods, grains, looks, and the ability to do some customization if you want (add perimeter or side grooves, etc), at a price better than Boos. I bought mine from the founder, David - he retired and it's under a different owner now, so I can't guarantee the boards haven't changed.

http://www.theboardsmith.com/our-story/

Highly recommended.

Browsing the site, I'm seeing some cool stuff (of course he has "normal" boards also):

He wasn't doing mosaic before. Visually it's a hard one to match to a kitchen, but holy hell the workmanship and time:

http://www.theboardsmith.com/product/rectilinear-mosaic-butcher-block-12-1-2-x-18-x-2/

And this brick pattern is sweet:

http://www.theboardsmith.com/product/walnutmaple-brick-pattern/

The Maple-Carolina and Maple-Magnum boards are the basic look I’m after. They’re on my short list. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, luke duke said:

Maple is the standard. You can mix in some cherry or walnut if you want a design or pattern in the wood. Don’t use oak, it is very porous and isn’t suitable for cutting boards.

I’ve been using this maple board for close to 20 years. It’s 24x24x3.

128eefe92435978b183c1d175dba3da7.jpg

I made this one about 4 years ago and donated it to a charity auction. A friend of mine bought it and has never used it because he doesn’t want to mess it up. Maple and cherry with a walnut boarder. I think it is 20x20x1.75.

7ae722efed7edc466bea4d50bcd44440.jpg

Yeah, I’ve heard good things about maple, but it’s nice to hear from someone who’s owned one for a long time. Was that Longhorn burnt in there by the maker, or did you stare at it long enough to do that?

Both of mine are the Magnum 18x24 size. Honestly only need about half that size for most use, the other half is usually used to stage the chopped items when cooking. Looking at the wear patterns on the board, maybe 2/3 gets used.  Mine are black cherry and mahogany (site doesn't list mahogany any more, a pity because it's gorgeous), as I mentioned I picked mine to match the cabinets of each house. They will still do custom woods if you want to match something, and they will do custom sizes as well, for example if you want to exactly fill a space on your countertop. And if you want to laser engrave a Longhorn, or a Thujone dick drawing, it's there in the customization Extras.

From a knife-wear standpoint, there are differences in hardness  of the woods. In practice, unless you're a commercial kitchen beating on it daily, you won't really notice. The FAQ does mention a lot of other wood types if you're curious. From their FAQ:

What is the hardness rating of the woods you use?

On the Janka hardness scale maple rates 1450, black walnut is next at 1010 and black cherry is 850.

• Like 1

Yeah, I’ve heard good things about maple, but it’s nice to hear from someone who’s owned one for a long time. Was that Longhorn burnt in there by the maker, or did you stare at it long enough to do that?

I’ve got a longhorn branding iron that I had made close to 20 years ago by Jimmy Don Holmes before he got semi-famous.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm always wondering about this topic when I cook.  Every professional chef I ever see has a wood board.  I used to have one (Boos) about 10 years ago, but I found it to be a total beating.  Too heavy and bulky and had to be hand washed and took up too much room.

Scrapped it somewhere along the lines and now just use a good sized plastic one that's 18" x 14" x .5".  It's lightweight, dishwasher safe and seems just fine.  Looks like this...

uPCAu4.jpg

Also just ran across a wood one we have that's 20" x 15" x 1".  I've never used it as a cutting board.  Not even sure it really is one...might just be for a charcuterie board, which is all we've ever used it for.  Has an "M" with a circle around it (or maybe a "W") logo.  Looks like this...

BMHt76.jpg

Anyway, my question is, what's the big advantage to wood vs. plastic.  Why do all the pros use wood?  What am I missing...other than wood just looks cooler?

Edited by Landomatic

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I'm always wondering about this topic when I cook.  Every professional chef I ever see has a wood board.  I used to have one (Boos) about 10 years ago, but I found it to be a total beating.  Too heavy and bulky and had to be hand washed and took up too much room.

Scrapped it somewhere along the lines and now just use a good sized plastic one that's 18" x 14" x .5".  It's lightweight, dishwasher safe and seems just fine.  Looks like this...

uPCAu4.jpg

Also just ran across a wood one we have that's 20" x 15" x 1".  I've never used it as a cutting board.  Not even sure it really is one...might just be for a charcuterie board, which is all we've ever used it for.  Has an "M" with a circle around it (or maybe a "W") logo.  Looks like this...

BMHt76.jpg

Anyway, my question is, what's the big advantage to wood vs. plastic.  Why do all the pros use wood?  What am I missing...other than wood just looks cooler?

Wood is easier on knives than plastic and provides a generally non-slip surface.  

Seems I read somewhere that wood has some natural anti-bacterial properties to it vs plastic. And yes, looks cooler.

Mine is maybe 1/2-3/4" thick. It would be hard to handle one of those (one handed) really thick, heavy ones if you have greasy hands.

Edited by Steel Shank

Seems I read somewhere that wood has some natural anti-bacterial properties to it vs plastic. And yes, looks cooler. Mine is maybe 1/2-3/4" thick. It would be hard to handle one of those (one handed) really thick, heavy ones if you have greasy hands.

Yes the thought is that the wood actually traps more bacteria under the surface and kills it while the plastic is impermeable.

My go-to wood one is about the same thickness and it was designed to fit in my old sink (I think it was made by/for Koehler).

I have a bigger thicker one I use for roasts and brisket that’s probably an inch thick. It is unwieldy so I don’t use for normal daily cutting or chopping.

Also I have a Boos cart/island that is a prep table and will cut on from time to time. I never use a serrated knife on it though.

Agree on a heavy wood board. Have had a large maple board for years -- just clean and oil it periodically.  Get one with the grooves on the sides so the juices don't run off.

As for knives, I bought a large Shun brisket knife because it matched my set.  Works great, but the knives shown above will work great and are at a much better price point.

10 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I'm always wondering about this topic when I cook.  Every professional chef I ever see has a wood board. 

Are you referring to pro chefs on cooking shows or pro chefs in commercial kitchens? Cooking shows use it because it looks good and because they sometimes get paid or sponsored for the product placement. Most commercial kitchens use plastic, as it's cheaper, more durable, and really requires no special care. Bang it around, store it wet, run it through the dishwasher, no problem. Wood is gentler on knives and safer from a bacteria standpoint, as it does wick the bacteria beneath the surface (but this is overrated, if you follow basic food safety rules and wash the board, any material is bacteria safe). But it requires care, don't leave it soaking in water or sitting on a wet countertop, cannot run it through a dishwasher, needs periodic oil, etc.

• Like 1

like many things, the synthetic version is functionally and objectively better, but the "real" thing feels nicer and gives people the warm fuzzies.

besides looking better, i find a few advantages with:  (1) does not warp under heat, like if you cut a hot roast on it.  (2) heavier and tends not to slip around, especially if you knead dough on it.

but washing a large stiff board is a pain, especially if you dont have a large sink.  for most quick everyday uses (we cook for 2), im on a small flexible plastic board.  for weekend jobs i roll with the wood

21 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Are you referring to pro chefs on cooking shows or pro chefs in commercial kitchens? Cooking shows use it because it looks good and because they sometimes get paid or sponsored for the product placement. Most commercial kitchens use plastic, as it's cheaper, more durable, and really requires no special care. Bang it around, store it wet, run it through the dishwasher, no problem. Wood is gentler on knives and safer from a bacteria standpoint, as it does wick the bacteria beneath the surface (but this is overrated, if you follow basic food safety rules and wash the board, any material is bacteria safe). But it requires care, don't leave it soaking in water or sitting on a wet countertop, cannot run it through a dishwasher, needs periodic oil, etc.

Yeah, I'm talking about the guys on TV.

Funny nobody's come out with something of a hybrid.  You know, something like...the sexiness of wood, the practicality of plastic.

You may remember this cutting board from other fantastic threads such as "Check Out This Fucking Sandwich!" or "Hey, Steel Shank!" (It looks really light in this picture - I must've just washed it.)1493286563_Mediumsandwich.thumb.JPG.c399741554d2c5b2238d8f19ee5d902f.JPG

Ok, I fucked up. Probably too many bourbons. Cutting board in the pic is not my cherry board. It’s some cheap one I got at Walmart. Here’s the real one. Posting no before I wade into the bourbons.
0bfd4811c37d14dfab00be5fa02a6a61.jpg
cc3422631a0341671ed946d02a5ccdb4.jpg

Looks it’s time for a sanding.

• 10 months later...

What he said. You won’t find wood in a commercial kitchen.