Leakey - Concan - Uvalde - Vanderpool - Utopia

On 8/2/2020 at 11:27 AM, CleverNickname said:

Not much flow. I think the tendency to congregate at the dam is higher in these conditions. My plan is to hit the gates at 8am and wear the kids out by 11. 

That's a good plan.  I was there for several weeks in July and the day-use folks are definitely later-arriving than in years past, even if they haven't been limited as much as I might have liked.

Went to Concan last weekend with some friends that are part of a larger group that go every year. River was low although it came up some after Friday night downpour. We would’ve tried floating but our group wasn’t really interested.  Use some local connections to hike around the river. Snapped a couple pics from the top of a cliff. 

BAA25-C60-AF87-4675-A17-D-FC2-CF4-C1716-

84-D99-BE5-972-F-4-A86-A554-7063513-CADE

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

We booked back in March, and will be up in Camp Wood starting Sunday (Nueces side, obvz). We're not planning on floating, just finding a hole to soak in/let the kids play. We'll run over Frio way to check it out I'm sure. Will report if I remember. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is Concan: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=08195000 Don't see an exact reading for Leakey/Garner, but would assume the same.

I have not been this year, but I have been to Concan in a prior year when the discharge was zero. Tubing is clearly not an option. Find a swimming hole, and more importantly try to find a spring because the water will get quite warm as the day goes on (as you can see from the temp graph).

No way I would step foot in a river hole with no incoming or outgoing flow. The Paluxy, up here in Glen Rose is a lot like the Hill Country rivers, where it just gets pockets of stagnate water. Two kids have gotten amoebas, in the last few years, both ended up dying. We lived on the Brazos, when I was a kid, my Old Man would tear my ass up if he caught me in stagnant water. He told me he had known people that died after swimming in it. There wasn't any internet, he didn't know what caused it, but it had to be amoebas.

CHIEF

7 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

We booked back in March, and will be up in Camp Wood starting Sunday (Nueces side, obvz). We're not planning on floating, just finding a hole to soak in/let the kids play. We'll run over Frio way to check it out I'm sure. Will report if I remember. 

We did Quince and Chalk Bluff this week. The improvements at Quince are amazing. Yes they charge now, but if it means less trash and future bathrooms, I'm all in. Water a lite low (obviously) but still flowing. Chalk Bluff is $15 per person but has a rope swing and all the modest volume conjunto you could ask for. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 4:26 PM, CleverNickname said:

We did Quince and Chalk Bluff this week. The improvements at Quince are amazing. Yes they charge now, but if it means less trash and future bathrooms, I'm all in. Water a lite low (obviously) but still flowing. Chalk Bluff is $15 per person but has a rope swing and all the modest volume conjunto you could ask for. 

We were gunna do Quince (have never done it) but we had decent enough swimming in front of the property we rented.