Surly Game time: Can You Figure Out this Puzzle

Doc Reeves

We did this exercise that a buddy learned wile taking part in an LE investigation conference at a party last year. It’s not for every occasion but turned out to be a fun group logic puzzle. I thought it might be fun to see how clever Surly investors are. 

Rules are simple: Once you are given the scenario, you may ask any question you would like to solve the investigative question and I will answer truthfully, however, it will only be in either “yes” or “no” so frame your questions appropriately. 

Scenario: 

A man wakes up, rolled over and turns off the radio. He then goes up the stairs, turns on the light and jumps to his death. 

Question:

Why did the man kill himself?

was the radio tuned to a music station?

was the radio tuned to a news station?

was the man gainfully employed in a legitimate field of work not involving narcotics?

was the man in debt?

was the man married?  with children?

was the alarm set to go off in the morning?  noon? night? past midnight?

was the man a known sleepwalker?

we used to do these puzzles in 5th and 6th grade.  lots of fun.  parents would engage at times.  same rules regarding "yes" or "no" answer to questions.  the other rule was we had 3 attempts to guess what happened.

Edited by Hmmm

• 1 month later...

I've got one.

The correct answer is NOT in the multiple choice.  This was a botched problem by the test-maker and is closer to a brain-teaser than math problem.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/27/2020 at 8:07 AM, Doc Reeves said:

Scenario: 

A man wakes up, rolled over and turns off the radio. He then goes up the stairs, turns on the light and jumps to his death. 

Question:

Why did the man kill himself?

He has strong evidence of pedophilia, corruption and sex trafficking against hundreds of the worlds elite?

• Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 9:41 PM, BurntEyes said:

I'd still like an answer as to whether or not the free children shipped with home furniture and decorations are able to run a weed wacker and be kept in a kennel but no one seems to know.

Well they can't run one from the kennel.  You'll need to let 'em out.

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2020 at 2:37 PM, JBJ said:

I've got one.

The correct answer is NOT in the multiple choice.  This was a botched problem by the test-maker and is closer to a brain-teaser than math problem.

hqdefault.jpg

On 7/20/2020 at 2:49 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

2*Pi*(r+r/3) = n*2*Pi*r/3

n=4

Answer is either 4 or 1. Unclear question especially with neither correct answer as an option.

Circle A revolves around Circle B one time.

13 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

I missed the puzzle thread first go around.  Here is one of my own:

A logician comes home tired one day from work on Friday.  His son comes up to him and wants to know if they are going to the football game that night but if not he wants to know if he can go spend the night at his friend’s house.  He begins but his dad interrupts and says “I’m tired right now; the most you will get from me after your request is a single word response, either a yes or a no.”  What request can the son make so that he will know from his dad’s response that they are either going to the game or not, and if not then he has permission to spend the night?  

Can he not just ask his dad if he has permission to spend the night at his friends?

I mean isn't the serious answer 

Dad if we're not going to the football game is it ok if I go to my friend's house?

Yes...assume you are not going to football game

No....assume you are going to the football game

Or dad is just a dick and doesn't want you to do either.  In which case you text divorced mom and tell her you are coming to live with her.

• 2 weeks later...

Two men walk into a bar. One of them orders a whiskey sour, the other an old fashioned. Oh yeah, they're twins. So two twins walk into the bar. Two people, not two sets of people. Anyway, one of them orders a whiskey sour and the other a negroni. The bartender makes the drinks, and then has to figure out which twin gets which drink. But the catch is, the bartender can't talk because he has throat cancer from decades of the smooth, easy draw of a Pall Mall cigarette. He's misplaced his throat hum machine, so he can only grunt, and can't ask questions. So how does the bartender figure out which twin gets which drink?

On 7/20/2020 at 2:37 PM, JBJ said:

I've got one.

hqdefault.jpg

Help me out here.  I've read up on this and it's still not clicking why the extra rotation occurs- the sites I see simply say because the center of A is rotating around the center of B but I'm still not getting it.

So if B rotated around A it would be 4/3?

Sincerely, a liberal arts major