PC-compatible lavalier microphone for conferences?

since we're all doing more and more computer calls these days, i want a decent wired microphone to improve the sound. 

apparently, a mini 1/8" or 3.5mm jack isnt just a mini jack... some are mono, some stereo, some carry power, etc.  basically i worry buying a DSLR-marketed mic wont work on a computer or vice-versa

main-qimg-3266618b913c1eb92eabf8f4dd69b5

is there a guide on how to buy a decent discreet clip on mic?  just get any $100 rode/shure/sennheiser/etymotic?

13 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

If you get a USB mic, you won't have to worry about analog signal path questions.  And do you need to move around a lot that would necessitate having a lapel/lav mic?  I use one of those snowball mic's on a tripod on the desk and turn the gain up.  

Don't want another permanent fixture on the desk, and also I kinda figured a lav will pick up more direct voices and be less affected by room echo

Apparently a TRRS plug is compatible with most consumer computing devices (smartphones/tablets  and most laptops), and no worried about drivers or devices configuration. 

So considering a Ride SmartLav+ ($70), but the USB suggestion is also a good one....

I have been thinking the same thing. If you've ever watched Scott Adams daily broadcast, you know that he's fairly state of the art. He says a fifteen dollar lavalier is as good as any of the more expensive units (and he can afford them, believe me). He didn't identify the brand but held it up. It was about the size of a thumb and looked fuzzy. It likely had a windscreen muff on it.

spacer.png