Launching humans into space again from America - Space X

Tailgate

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I can only imagine what calculating various failure rates would have been like with the Shuttle and its tiles.

Saw an excellent video on this subject a couple of weeks back. NASA's original failure rate was calculated at ... 1 in 100,000 (!!!!!), a figure noted physicist Richard Feynman labeled as "wildly fantastical" after the Challenger tragedy. Feynman's own research and calculations resulted in a far humbler estimate (1 in 100 per the video, 1 in 200 per Wikipedia).

Actual per-mission failure rate ended up being about 1 in 70.

You go up enough, something awful will eventually happen. All you can do is mitigate the odds. NASA did not do a very good job of that with its SLS program.

6 hours ago, Dewey said:

Really wanted to see that thing land on the drone barge, the feed went dead and when they got it back, presto! There it is. 

Yeah, one second it seemed like it was a mile up....camera loses signal, and then 5 sec later it's resting peacefully on a drone ship?!  WTF?!! That shit seemed fishy as hell.  Someone please help me take the tin foil hat off my head here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

Yeah, one second it seemed like it was a mile up....camera loses signal, and then 5 sec later it's resting peacefully on a drone ship?!  WTF?!! That shit seemed fishy as hell.  Someone please help me take the tin foil hat off my head here.

In this video, the top left feed would correspond to the drone ship view. It takes about 11 seconds from the time the rockets are visible (0.19 mark) to engines going off (0.30 mark). Accounting for the  drone ship camera being closer, and hence not as much of horizon being visible, and possibly a few seconds of video sync uncertainties, it won't be surprising if the whole thing took only 5-6 seconds and we missed it.

5 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

It's hard to keep a camera connection working when a rocket engine is landing next to it?

On CNN, they fucked up the 2 money shots-  liftoff and the rocket engine landing on the barge.  Everything was still cool, but damn...

That was the first and only news coverage I've watched in months on TV.

Edited by Iceman

I have trouble getting my iPhone photos into Windows 10 on my computer.  I can't imagine the technology these guys are capable of using for SpaceX.  I hope Elon has a lot of future success.  

I know there is Bezos Blue Origin project and Bransen's Virgin Galatic but I think Elon is way ahead of those two.    

5 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

I have trouble getting my iPhone photos into Windows 10 on my computer.  I can't imagine the technology these guys are capable of using for SpaceX.  I hope Elon has a lot of future success.  

I know there is Bezos Blue Origin project and Bransen's Virgin Galatic but I think Elon is way ahead of those two.    

Blue has different goals as well

Saw the ISS scoot by last night, and then a minute or two later, the Dragon capsule. Pretty fucking profound experience. 

Thanks again to whoever posted this - it's a lot more user-friendly than the old "notify me by text when the ISS will be visible from the state I don't even live in anymore and no, you can't change the address associated with your phone number, and you also can't opt out without hours of hassle over dozens of attempts before one will eventually be successful." 

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/#

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Iceman said:

On CNN, they fucked up the 2 money shots-  liftoff and the rocket engine landing on the barge.  Everything was still cool, but damn...

That was the first and only news coverage I've watched in months on TV.

The camera on the barge cuts out a lot because of the vibrations from the landing.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

But their fuckup of the liftoff was inexcusable

I question anybody who watches CNN, Fox News, or anything else like those if they have access to the NASA Channel or NASA's YouTube.  After Wednesdays scrub, people I know were bitching about the coverage, and I kept telling them "You have the internet, you have a smart TV or a streaming device, just load NASA's YouTube, you don't need journalism majors giving you their opinions on the fucking weather."

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I question anybody who watches CNN, Fox News, or anything else like those if they have access to the NASA Channel or NASA's YouTube.  After Wednesdays scrub, people I know were bitching about the coverage, and I kept telling them "You have the internet, you have a smart TV or a streaming device, just load NASA's YouTube, you don't need journalism majors giving you their opinions on the fucking weather."

CSPAN has some good coverage... right now too.