Launching humans into space again from America - Space X

Tailgate

13 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

It may just be me but I was far far far far more excited for unmanned to exploration opening up new frontiers like New Horizons than I was for yet another launch of humans to a space station that has existed for years. I was even more excited for Oumuamua info. 

You sound fun at parties 

Maybe a dumb question but why would bad weather scrub the launch. I believe I have read that planes get hit with lightning quite frequently. Im assuming the spacecraft is designed differently so a lightning hit would fry electronics?

2 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Maybe a dumb question but why would bad weather scrub the launch. I believe I have read that planes get hit with lightning quite frequently. Im assuming the spacecraft is designed differently so a lightning hit would fry electronics?

They load the craft with the fuel right before launch so it's problematic to be loading such amounts of highly combustible material in a lightning storm. 

• Like 1

They load the craft with the fuel right before launch so it's problematic to be loading such amounts of highly combustible material in a lightning storm. 
Reasonable....thought I read up thread that they were a go for fuel, then saw the scrub posts. Didn't check timestamps

43 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

Reasonable....thought I read up thread that they were a go for fuel, then saw the scrub posts. Didn't check timestamps

They did receive a GO for fueling and had started it -- the lightning/Wx issues were for time of launch *and* for the recovery zones, all of which have to be good before launching.

We scrubbed more than once on Shuttle launches during beautiful sunny days in Florida because the Wx for our downrange (Spain, Africa, etc.) abort landing sites were crap.  It's a very complex process, and Wx forecasting is more art than science at times.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Who wore it better?

593729783_Whoworeitbetter.thumb.jpg.38524af46c29a4c80fe612e368b0ed85.jpg

Not a fair comparison IMO, the guys up top wouldn't look nearly as cool with their bulky helmets on. Also they're leaning on corvettes instead of standing at attention, much more relaxed poses.

Not that I think the new suits are cool, they remind me a bit of Dr Evil's look.

I never joined the army because "at ease" never seemed that easy to me. It seemed rather uptight, still. I do not relax by putting my arms behind my back and parting my legs slightly, that does not equal ease to me. At ease is not being in the military. I'm eased bro, cause I'm not in the military.

-Mitch H

• Like 1

50/50 (literally) chance for tomorrow's Wx to support launch.

It'll be good enough to get the crew out there and strapped (again), fueled up (again), and count down to those last few minutes (again).  After that, it's dependent on the Wx of the day, "because Florida".

No different than what we had to deal with - it was rare to have the Wx scrub before even getting the crew suited up and sent out. 

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It made it further along in the test before exploding than the previous prototypes so that’s progress

I suppose technically that is true, but a bit misleading. In fact, this particular Starship prototype (SN4) has gone through multiple static fire tests just fine. It is true that previous iterations of Starship didn't make it this far (pretty much all failed during pressure testing, not even making it to ignition).

9 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

If I am the two astronauts going up tomorrow I am double checking that’s not the type of rocket I am on. 

It isn't. Completely different rocket design, different engine, different fuel (methane vs kerosene), and in a very early stage of design/testing. The Falcon 9 and Merlin 1D engines that'll launch Crew Dragon have demonstrated excellent reliability. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 2

The mission is scheduled to lift off at 3:22 p.m. Eastern time from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Coverage of the launch on NASA Television will begin at 11 a.m.

SpaceX YouTube here:

50% chance apparently with weather today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/30/science/what-time-spacex-launch.html

Edited by Tailgate

Guest Lobo
30 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m betting today and tomorrow are both scrubbed

what's the proposed time tomorrow if launch is pushed until Sunday?  

On 5/28/2020 at 9:07 PM, Texaskimo said:

Not a fair comparison IMO, the guys up top wouldn't look nearly as cool with their bulky helmets on. Also they're leaning on corvettes instead of standing at attention, much more relaxed poses.

Not that I think the new suits are cool, they remind me a bit of Dr Evil's look.

New ones are better. Just need to get rid of the shoulder pads. 

Guest Lobo

^

that is good news, my daughter has been talking about this non-stop since the Wednesday scrub

We were also very inspired by the Commander-in-Chief of Space Force's arrival in Florida for the launch just now.  It just oozed of visionary leadership.  I am fortunate to get to see this with my astronaut-in-training little girl.