Dallas | Fried Chicken

Landomatic

I used to love it but Bubba's makes me feel absolutely gross after eating it. Love the rolls, though.

Celebration's fried chicken is fantastic. I've never gotten the fried chicken at Pecan Lodge but I hear it's great.

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

I used to love it but Bubba's makes me feel absolutely gross after eating it. Love the rolls, though.

Celebration's fried chicken is fantastic. I've never gotten the fried chicken at Pecan Lodge but I hear it's great.

We had Celebration last night.  I don't know about fantastic.  Sides were great, but the actual chicken wasn't much better than Chicken Express really.  Good for just plain fried chicken, but nothing special.

Mike's keeps popping up as a rec on other sites and the googles.  Might try them next, but they aren't doing curbside.

Tried Streets once and it was just okay.  We might have ordered wrong though.

I thought Sissy’s was pretty good, but given their short lifespan, I was apparently in the minority on that.  I have a Babe’s that is close and convenient, so that’s where I go when I want to scratch that itch.  Unfortunately for me, I’ve eaten the best fried chicken on earth at Leon’s in Charleston, and everything else pales in comparison.

I thought Sissy’s was pretty good, but given their short lifespan, I was apparently in the minority on that.  I have a Babe’s that is close and convenient, so that’s where I go when I want to scratch that itch.  Unfortunately for me, I’ve eaten the best fried chicken on earth at Leon’s in Charleston, and everything else pales in comparison.

Leon’s is incredible.

We had Celebration last night.  I don't know about fantastic.  Sides were great, but the actual chicken wasn't much better than Chicken Express really.  Good for just plain fried chicken, but nothing special.
Mike's keeps popping up as a rec on other sites and the googles.  Might try them next, but they aren't doing curbside.
Tried Streets once and it was just okay.  We might have ordered wrong though.

I’ve found Celebration’s fried chicken doesn’t travel as well. Much better in-house.

26 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Unfortunately for me, I’ve eaten the best fried chicken on earth at Leon’s in Charleston, and everything else pales in comparison.

Funny how shit like that will fuck you for life.  First time I went to the AAC when it very first opened, I somehow ended up in Lamar Hunt's suite.  Pretty much feel like I'm slumming it with the poors every time I go and sit anywhere else now.  /csb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven’t been in years but the no1 plus chicken on royal lane was really good 7-8 years ago. The name was confusing on the sign so we always called it “chicken plus plus chicken.” I think the key was they double fried it or some shit. Looked ready to eat when you ordered but then they would fry it and make it nice and crispy and awesome. 

I've heard a lot of great things about Mike's Chicken but have yet to make the trek over there. My go-to is the Williams Chicken off Galloway in Mesquite. Great time to go is around MLK day as they usually have a 24 ct special for $15. Really can't beat it anywhere.

58 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I've heard a lot of great things about Mike's Chicken but have yet to make the trek over there. My go-to is the Williams Chicken off Galloway in Mesquite. Great time to go is around MLK day as they usually have a 24 ct special for $15. Really can't beat it anywhere.

Somewhat racist?

• 2 weeks later...

For us, Bbbop in Oak Cliff's spicy chicken is the best in Dallas.  Perfectly fried, juicy and full of flavor.  It's pretty much the only fried chicken we eat now.  It's won "Best Fried Chicken" in Dallas from whatever magazines and we agree.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:56 AM, conVINCEd said:

Mother's in New Orleans has some damn fine fried chicken, too.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to trying Lucky's Hot Chicken in East Dallas yesterday.  Fanfuckingtastic.  Another home run by the Vandelay guys.  We ordered a pretty wide variety and everything was outstanding.  I imagine it's a matter of time before this thing explodes into a chain.  Huge line out the door to get in.  We did curbside and it was fast and easy.

Didn't want to go too spicy on our first pass, not knowing how hot things were so we leaned toward the mild side.  The hottest one we got was the damn lucky, which is their middle spice (2 hotter and 2 milder).  It wasn't that hot.  Next time I'll probably go with some damn lucky and some lucky af.

Their wings are full wings so you get a drum and a flat...so 2 wings is actually the equivalent of 4.

Bread comes with it and even it was amazing.  And yes, even the pickles were great.

top left - feelin lucky wings, mac n cheese

top right - damn lucky wings, southern greens

bottom left - animal fries, feelin lucky tender

bottom right - feelin lucky big lou sandwich (no slaw)

Highly recommend...will eat again.  New favorite chicken place in town.

MrcOS3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Finally got around to trying Lucky's Hot Chicken in East Dallas yesterday.  Fanfuckingtastic.  Another home run by the Vandelay guys.  We ordered a pretty wide variety and everything was outstanding.  I imagine it's a matter of time before this thing explodes into a chain.  Huge line out the door to get in.  We did curbside and it was fast and easy.
Didn't want to go too spicy on our first pass, not knowing how hot things were so we leaned toward the mild side.  The hottest one we got was the damn lucky, which is their middle spice (2 hotter and 2 milder).  It wasn't that hot.  Next time I'll probably go with some damn lucky and some lucky af.
Their wings are full wings so you get a drum and a flat...so 2 wings is actually the equivalent of 4.
Bread comes with it and even it was amazing.  And yes, even the pickles were great.
top left - feelin lucky wings, mac n cheese
top right - damn lucky wings, southern greens
bottom left - animal fries, feelin lucky tender
bottom right - feelin lucky big lou sandwich (no slaw)
Highly recommend...will eat again.  New favorite chicken place in town.
MrcOS3.jpg

Is this the place in the old Brink’s space on Gaston? (Norman Brinker’s first restaurant).

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Is this the place in the old Brink’s space on Gaston? (Norman Brinker’s first restaurant).

Yeah that’s it. Lucky’s is on my list. Palmer’s hot chicken opened this weekend at Mockingbird and Abrams as well. 

Have to put in a shoutout for Invasion in Old East Dallas. Chef is a great guy and the Cardi B is damn good. 

557C7853-CC9C-48C1-A8B4-AD33B09F18F7.png

On 10/18/2020 at 11:26 AM, Firemans4Horn said:

Yeah that’s it. Lucky’s is on my list. Palmer’s hot chicken opened this weekend at Mockingbird and Abrams as well. 

Have to put in a shoutout for Invasion in Old East Dallas. Chef is a great guy and the Cardi B is damn good. 

557C7853-CC9C-48C1-A8B4-AD33B09F18F7.png

I'd eat that.

On 10/27/2020 at 12:27 PM, Landomatic said:

Well, that didn't take long...

tHzITr.jpg

Looks like Snider Plaza maybe where the old Diggs Taco Shop was.  So, not really Highland Park, but whatever.

Glad to see that. Personally, I thought Diggs sucked. So bizarre that it was there, disappeared for like a year and came back in the very same location. It's like the zombie taco shop.

At any rate, this is an improvement IMO.

Should we take bets on which one is more successful?

Considering luckys has the built in funding to already open a second shop in white ppl land that probably wouldn’t be a smart bet. But hey, enjoy the overpriced undersized (and undercooked based on multiple reviews) rubbery tenders at luckys. The velveeta shells and cheese are stand out also.

The pimento grits at palmers are damn good FYI.

17 hours ago, bluto said:

Considering luckys has the built in funding to already open a second shop in white ppl land that probably wouldn’t be a smart bet. But hey, enjoy the overpriced undersized (and undercooked based on multiple reviews) rubbery tenders at luckys. The velveeta shells and cheese are stand out also.

so woke

Do they not have curbside?

Pretty sure i remember seeing signs for curbside, and a take out order window in the porch area. Kinda weird but cool setup with a patio/porch area out front you have to walk through but the place is in the middle of a strip center.

14 hours ago, futureman said:

also, bubba’s >>> babe’s

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Only because of the rolls. They both make me ill later — but I like it quite a bit while eating. Babe’s is also all-you-can-eat.

Isnt it the same company with the same chicken recipe?  With mostly the same menu items?

Either way...I stand by them both being overrated.  Their batter is bland.  I’m not saying it’s bad.  It just isn’t this be all end all that a lot of folks make them out to be

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Isnt it the same company with the same chicken recipe?  With mostly the same menu items?

Either way...I stand by them both being overrated.  Their batter is bland.  I’m not saying it’s bad.  It just isn’t this be all end all that a lot of folks make them out to be

same company but the food at bubba’s is better.  go figure. 

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Owned by same people. The inside of Bubba's is pretty disgusting. Babe's (at least the one in Roanoke) is not. Babe's is all-you-can-eat and choices are chicken or chicken fried steak. Bubba's has rolls, Babe's cornbread (I think).